Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Grueller wrote: »
    There was me thinking that it was my dashing good looks and witty personality that attracted that message.

No they were targeting the ones who looked like they are good for a few quid.

I never got any myself..
    I'm meeting my one at the weekend, she really seems to like me....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Bullocks wrote: »
    I'm meeting my one at the weekend, she really seems to like me....

See if she'll consider working for the beef plan movement. I'd say Larry & co have lovely websites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

See a body has been found in the search for the missing 15 year old girl in Malaysia. So many holiday tragedies recently. Rest in peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »
    How do you report the private message?

You'll have to open the PM and DON'T CLICK INTO THE LINKS!!

And, at the top right corner of the message, you'll see a red triangle like on a normal post for reporting. Click into that and give your reason for reporting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Muckit wrote: »
    She had lovely........... eyes, yeah eyes :D

She had eyes?? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Here is an infographic that I got over on the Brexit thread. It's really good at showing the food imports and exports between the UK and other EU countries.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2019/aug/13/how-a-no-deal-brexit-threatens-your-weekly-food-shop

Note on the last box 'what about everything else' you can check any food item.

I was talking to the Knackery lorry driver this morning after he came to collect two weanlings that died from Blackleg. He was after coming from a farm with 5 deaths and was at a farm yesterday with 25 weanlings dead so it seems to be a common enough problem. It might be worthwhile to give that booster shot to those younger cattle this year.

We never had a case here before but the cracking of the ground last year may have brought up spores and there is now a risk where there wasn't before.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Big bulls that are being banded would need vaccine shots as well before the operation.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭148multi

Mine was called Sara

I seen her first, 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/08/12/beef-banned-university-bid-fight-climate-change/amp/

Debate on Newstalk earlier. I've never heard such peddling of misinformation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/08/12/beef-banned-university-bid-fight-climate-change/amp/

Debate on Newstalk earlier. I've never heard such peddling of misinformation.

Virtue Signalling at it's worst.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

blue5000 wrote: »
    Big bulls that are being banded would need vaccine shots as well before the operation.

Clostridial. Tetanus and Blackleg.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Just got an e-mail message about a PM but no PM. She wants to send me pics of her weanling heifers........Oh hang on, read that wrong. Jeez.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I have pair of muckmaster wellies. Have them about 3 years. Their starting to leave in water. I want to replace them with the same type of welly. I remember talking to a stand at the Dairy open day in Punchestown there in 2018, their based in cork but I can’t for the life of me remember their name or find their name. Can anyone help me out ? They sell clothing and other stuff for farms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

What time does sales start in Drumshambo on a Friday?
    Thinking of showing a few heifers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Agirdirect or wellies.ie David. Wouldn't want your toes getting cold if you go back on the picket line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

davidk1394 wrote: »
    I have pair of muckmaster wellies. Have them about 3 years. Their starting to leave in water. I want to replace them with the same type of welly. I remember talking to a stand at the Dairy open day in Punchestown there in 2018, their based in cork but I can’t for the life of me remember their name or find their name. Can anyone help me out ? They sell clothing and other stuff for farms
    Agridirect sell them and delivery is free - https://www.agridirect.ie/product/the-muck-boot-muckmaster-hi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

What time does sales start in Drumshambo on a Friday?
    Thinking of showing a few heifers
    According to their FB page 7pm for dry cows/cows and calves -

Drumshanbo Mart PLC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Yes it's 7. Can be a good Mart for heifers/cows.

Got my winter fuel home today :D

Do you prebook or just arrive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Is the turf holding up the shed :D

Can't tell you....never sold in it. Think that's Eoins Mobile there if you want to ring tomorrow & see.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Is the turf holding up the shed :D

Probably. Means nobody can steal my turf without me knowing though, win win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Base price wrote: »
    Agridirect sell them and delivery is free - https://www.agridirect.ie/product/the-muck-boot-muckmaster-hi

Thanks Base

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

2 quad bikes stolen fairly locally over the last week or 10 days

Both have now been recovered mainly due to cctv, social media coverage, & alert neighbours.

orm0nd wrote: »

Both have now been recovered mainly due to cctv, social media coverage, & alert neighbours.

Any idea who stole them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Any idea who stole them?

maybe

proving is a different matter though, reg plate not clear on cctv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

They are close to me too..........must watch myself. Orm0nd is about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The Perennial question of which is better for the environment: grassfed beef or grainfed beef?

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2019/08/13/746576239/is-grass-fed-beef-really-better-for-the-planet-heres-the-science

A grassfed farm did a carbon measurement and it worked out their farm was carbon negative for beef and just about negative for the whole farm based on machinery usage.
    However it's not a simple system as the multiple retailers are leading the price of grassfed beef down as more becomes available.
    The article is from the U.S. and on the U.S. farming systems.

Most tillage farmers are carbon positive based on soil damage and non soil carbon sequestration with carbon depletion, but like the cattle farmers there are some carbon negative operators.
    Interesting questions and answers none the less that you won't hear about the Joe Duffy show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

oh the bloody farmers releasing all that carbon!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

John Fagan (Farming Indo) had his quad taken last night too

What would cause cows to cough sporadically? They'll stand four square, head stretched out & cough for maybe 30 seconds, mightn't see them at it again for days. Also seen them coughing lying down. Varying in age from 12yrs to 3yrs so not a young stock problem. Was going to treat for lungworm but thought I'd double check here first!

No snots or anything on them so doesn't seem viral. Just never seen them at it before.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

All stock prebooked although tomorrow would still be soon enough seeing as it's an off peak time of year. When the stock level's increase in a month or 2 then you'd want to be booking early in the week. The heifer trade was good enough last week, a few men looking for heifers suitable to bull in the back end. There was a special entry of replacement type heifers and they were met with good demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

What would cause cows to cough sporadically? They'll stand four square, head stretched out & cough for maybe 30 seconds, mightn't see them at it again for days. Also seen them coughing lying down. Varying in age from 12yrs to 3yrs so not a young stock problem. Was going to treat for lungworm but thought I'd double check here first!

No snots or anything on them so doesn't seem viral. Just never seen them at it before.
    Definitely sounds like lungworm seems to be a higher burden this year for some reason would cover them with a cheap pour on for peace of mind

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Definitely sounds like lungworm seems to be a higher burden this year for some reason would cover them with a cheap pour on for peace of mind

Yes, looked up symptoms there & seems very like it. Will pick the up something in the vets tomorrow, that time of year to arrange herd test again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

trixi2011 wrote: »

Have bullocks coming up on 30 months coughing like fcuk. Thriving well so leaving well enough alone. Hard to listen to them coughing though.

Was on a farm walk recently & saw a fitting for a slurry pipe above the tank.
    I think it’s for adding water / slurry

Has anyone got this?

One of my emails this morning was Centre Parcs looking for a Santa from the start of November :pac::D

One of my emails this morning was Centre Parcs looking for a Santa from the start of November :pac::D

Only 4 months to Santa:eek:

• Advertisement

Hope you've been good!! Be very strange here, be in a different house for Christmas than for the last 31 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Hope you've been good!! Be very strange here, be in a different house for Christmas than for the last 31 years.
    We will be in a new one aswell , be our third and possibly last move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Have bullocks coming up on 30 months coughing like fcuk. Thriving well so leaving well enough alone. Hard to listen to them coughing though.

You are spending too much time out admiring them!!:D Go in and watch a bit a telly, kick a ball or do a bit of gardening!

19 weeks I think

19 weeks I think

Might be time to start looking at a few fixtures for later in the year. I might wait till the CL fixtures are out first, though

Might be time to start looking at a few fixtures for later in the year. I might wait till the CL fixtures are out first, though

Getting harder to get tickets this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Only 7 days until back to school. :’(

Only 7 days until back to school. :’(

Ugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Brown Thomas opened their Christmas shops today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭enricoh

Get a sim card tracker device, the two Polish scumbags below were part of a gang that stole loads of quads. They were only caught when a farmer whose quad was stolen fitted the tracker to his new one. Iirc the tracker cost a tenner, not a bad investment! Someone more technical than I might post a good one off ebay

https://amp.independent.ie/business/farming/agri-business/farmers-fury-after-40-quad-bikes-stolen-by-organised-gangs-36124643.html
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.independent.ie/business/farming/news/rural-crime/two-charged-following-probe-into-stolen-farm-machinery-36429377.html&ved=2ahUKEwjs6e-u64TkAhUDShUIHR0iBDsQFjAAegQICBAC&usg=AOvVaw3-HrLC7XCeGG64m_NlAppC&cshid=1565870869526

Came upon this little chappie when taking the last load off the bog today. Ye all know the story about licking the first mankeeper you see on the belly to get the cure of the burn. So I did that of course.
    Dad then told me that I'd need to lick the belly of every single one I see after, in order to keep the cure. Of course I scoffed at him, gone 30 years before this without seeing one!! :D

Seen four more under the last heaps of turf. May have rabies now :pac:

3cAVgd7l.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement