Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Our plan said to have 3 groups of 5 bat boxes. Had to check again to be sure after reading this thread.

Your planner must have got it arseways. It should be 5 groups of 3. Can't see why you should be any different. How would they physically fit around a tree/pole if you think about it.

Remember its dept you have to keep happy not planner. A phonecall might be in order to GLAS in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Muckit wrote: »
    Your planner must have got it arseways. It should be 5 groups of 3. Can't see why you should be any different. How would they physically fit around a tree/pole if you think about it.

Remember its dept you have to keep happy not planner. A phonecall might be in order to GLAS in Wexford.

The option was per box you could have picked up to 15 but any number up to 15 is possible

the traditional hay meadow can be made as silage provided that you turn it twice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭limo_100

ganmo wrote: »
    The option was per box you could have picked up to 15 but any number up to 15 is possible

the traditional hay meadow can be made as silage provided that you turn it twice

how much fertilizer did you put on your traditional hay meadow?? If it was turned twice would it not be turned in haylage and not silage?

limo_100 wrote: »
    how much fertilizer did you put on your traditional hay meadow?? If it was turned twice would it not be turned in haylage and not silage?

didn't pick that option as we need the ground for grazing till June.
    Shake it out and row it up would be turning twice imo. No need to leave it dry out

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Bailed silage is ok, once it's not pit silage

• Advertisement

did the ploughing for the wild bird cover today has everyone else got it done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

did the ploughing for the wild bird cover today has everyone else got it done?

Yep, did it a couple of days ago and fenced it off, will be power harrowing it at the weekend, then sowing.

Kovu wrote: »
    Yep, did it a couple of days ago and fenced it off, will be power harrowing it at the weekend, then sowing.

how did it turn out we didn't bother spraying it off, will power harrow and disc it next week then seed it. Did you have pick many stone? ours is up in the bottoms there stones up there the size of lorry tires will have to pick as many as we can we where building the hedges with the stones this evening there lots of fun ahead of us yet

how did it turn out we didn't bother spraying it off, will power harrow and disc it next week then seed it. Did you have pick many stone? ours is up in the bottoms there stones up there the size of lorry tires will have to pick as many as we can we where building the hedges with the stones this evening there lots of fun ahead of us yet

No spraying done here either, just topped it all clean and ploughed straight.
    Stones? Ha! We chose a patch of ground on the outfarm- a townland known to have zero stones in it, sure why would we be making extra work for ourselves. :D
    Don't think we're discing ours, hasn't been mentioned anyway. Then chain harrow it for seeding. It's all a bit up in the air at the moment tbh!

No spraying done here either, just topped it all clean and ploughed straight.
    Stones? Ha! We chose a patch of ground on the outfarm- a townland known to have zero stones in it, sure why would we be making extra work for ourselves. :D
    Don't think we're discing ours, hasn't been mentioned anyway. Then chain harrow it for seeding. It's all a bit up in the air at the moment tbh!

no stones im very jealous of you :mad: We thought it be good to get rid of them for going back to pasture down the line. Did you do upland or lowland ours would be good peaty soil i think.Would it need to be chain harrowed after the land leveler

• Advertisement

no stones im very jealous of you :mad: We thought it be good to get rid of them for going back to pasture down the line. Did you do upland or lowland ours would be good peaty soil i think.Would it need to be chain harrowed after the land leveler

It's good Leitrim gley :pac: Not really sure what to call it, it's just below a hill where the ground levels off flat for 100m or so. The land drops down after that into bogland though so it good enough drainage at that end.

Hard to know how it'll break up as this is land that hasn't seen a plough since possibly early 1900s. I was thinking that the sticky sort of daub soil mightn't break up too easy and would need a bit of drying after the harrowing in order to get it broken down fully. It's an odd soil to work with.

It's good Leitrim gley :pac: Not really sure what to call it, it's just below a hill where the ground levels off flat for 100m or so. The land drops down after that into bogland though so it good enough drainage at that end.

Hard to know how it'll break up as this is land that hasn't seen a plough since possibly early 1900s. I was thinking that the sticky sort of daub soil mightn't break up too easy and would need a bit of drying after the harrowing in order to get it broken down fully. It's an odd soil to work with.

tell ya the truth I wouldn't no much about that type of soil will use drain it after the scheme? Our soil has already dryed out well from this morning it will break up very well under the power harrow nearly go to dust

tell ya the truth I wouldn't no much about that type of soil will use drain it after the scheme? Our soil has already dryed out well from this morning it will break up very well under the power harrow nearly go to dust

Ah yer spoiled with good soil in the midlands! Whose to know what we'll be doing with it after this scheme, could be habitat for foxes by then! :pac::p
    Been a great drying day here so it was going great guns at 5pm but it's been on off raining here since that, píssing out of the heavens now.

Ah yer spoiled with good soil in the midlands! Whose to know what we'll be doing with it after this scheme, could be habitat for foxes by then! :pac::p
    Been a great drying day here so it was going great guns at 5pm but it's been on off raining here since that, píssing out of the heavens now.

So did you get in sowed?? we power harrowed this evening and land leveled it going sowing it tomorrow??

So did you get in sowed?? we power harrowed this evening and land leveled it going sowing it tomorrow??

Ha, no! Between rain in the evenings and the fella being away we haven't managed to get it done yet. He's booked for tomorrow at 12 come rain or shine so we'll just have it in before the deadline.

Ha, no! Between rain in the evenings and the fella being away we haven't managed to get it done yet. He's booked for tomorrow at 12 come rain or shine so we'll just have it in before the deadline.

How did it try out like? Ours was fairly good but the clay was a bit damp but its the best I seen it look it my time there used to be a big hole that would catch me out every year when i'd be topping I think I'm going to miss it :( What seed you putting in we have oats and linseed?

How did it try out like? Ours was fairly good but the clay was a bit damp but its the best I seen it look it my time there used to be a big hole that would catch me out every year when i'd be topping I think I'm going to miss it :( What seed you putting in we have oats and linseed?

Same, oats and linseed. That fecking linseed was a horrid price!! It looks well, there's only a few patches of greyish daub, expected it to be far worse quality. Plus all the rushes can't be seen now :D:D

Same, oats and linseed. That fecking linseed was a horrid price!! It looks well, there's only a few patches of greyish daub, expected it to be far worse quality. Plus all the rushes can't be seen now :D:D

I no the feeling maybe ploughing is the new topping :D When use sow are use doing half the field in oats and the other half in linseed or use just mixing it all in together? what you pay for it I got a 15kg bag for 57euro and a 25kg bag for 105.I thing I only need the 25kg so hopefully I get to return the 15kg bag. The linseed is after getting very scarce

I no the feeling maybe ploughing is the new topping :D When use sow are use doing half the field in oats and the other half in linseed or use just mixing it all in together? what you pay for it I got a 15kg bag for 57euro and a 25kg bag for 105.I thing I only need the 25kg so hopefully I get to return the 15kg bag. The linseed is after getting very scarce

I think we paid €62 for the 15kg bag. Was just discussing the mix earlier and we're going to try doing all together. ...for better or worse!

I think we paid €62 for the 15kg bag. Was just discussing the mix earlier and we're going to try doing all together. ...for better or worse!

I think thats what were going to do as well its probably the handiest way to do it anyway. I must take a few pictures tomorrow I sorry I didnt take a few before during and after. Its a fairly handy way of doing up the poorer gound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

How did lads hedges work out? Did they all take? Are ye having to weed?

I think thats what were going to do as well its probably the handiest way to do it anyway. I must take a few pictures tomorrow I sorry I didnt take a few before during and after. Its a fairly handy way of doing up the poorer gound

I can still do the before on the poorer ground as the field next to it is the same as the old one was.....i.e. rushes to the waist! You'd easily lose a man in them! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

Deadline for sowing Wild Bird Cover in GLAS 1 & 2 has been extended from 31/5/2016 to 14/06/2016.
    I have a chance now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,160 ✭✭✭✭Base price

TPF2012 wrote: »
    Deadline for sowing Wild Bird Cover in GLAS 1 & 2 has been extended from 31/5/2016 to 14/06/2016.
    I have a chance now.
    Thanks for that TPF. I was going to plough ours but the plough hasn't seen the ground in 25 years. Decided to get a local man and he is just after arriving 20 mins ago. OH mowed the two areas on Tuesday, neighbour baled and wrapped 10 bales for himself yesterday off the rush free ground.
    The neighbour that got the bales has a wagtail and is going to spread the seeds for us. A handy barter arrangement 😊

Base price wrote: »
    Thanks for that TPF. I was going to plough ours but the plough hasn't seen the ground in 25 years. Decided to get a local man and he is just after arriving 20 mins ago. OH mowed the two areas on Tuesday, neighbour baled and wrapped 10 bales for himself yesterday off the rush free ground.
    The neighbour that got the bales has a wagtail and is going to spread the seeds for us. A handy barter arrangement 😊

the black market is alive and well :)

job done sowed land leveled and chain harrowed today happy with the results hopefully it will grow. Contractor did ploughing power harrowing land leveled chain harrowed and sowed it for 135 an acre. I wonder should I spread a few bags of fertilizer on it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

job done sowed land leveled and chain harrowed today happy with the results hopefully it will grow. Contractor did ploughing power harrowing land leveled chain harrowed and sowed it for 135 an acre. I wonder should I spread a few bags of fertilizer on it??
    135 euro an acre a great price. I sprayed 0.25 acres myself. Got contractor to plough, rotovate, chain harrow and roll. Broadcast seed myself with seed fiddle. He charged me 215 plus vat. I spread 10-10-20 at 100kg/acre. Also spread lime at 50kg/acre.

135 euro an acre a great price. I sprayed 0.25 acres myself. Got contractor to plough, rotovate, chain harrow and roll. Broadcast seed myself with seed fiddle. He charged me 215 plus vat. I spread 10-10-20 at 100kg/acre. Also spread lime at 50kg/acre.

Is that for grassland? ours was for wildbird cover. how did it turn out for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Is that for grassland? ours was for wildbird cover. how did it turn out for you?
    Kale/mustard/triticale for twite (NPWS Farm plan). Only planted 7th May. My place is harsh, directly on the coast. Even a whitethorn tree can't grow. The triticale will act as a nursery crop.

• Advertisement

Kale/mustard/triticale for twite (NPWS Farm plan). Only planted 7th May. My place is harsh, directly on the coast. Even a whitethorn tree can't grow. The triticale will act as a nursery crop.

We seeded about 3 acres oats and linseed I going to make you jealous but ours is sheltered by the neighbors planting

Advertisement