Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Significant reduction in rents coming?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-08-10/new-york-san-francisco-u-s-cities-will-struggle-after-covid-19

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-13/manhattan-apartment-rents-plunge-10-in-pandemic-fueled-exodus

In the US there is talk of a big falter in the rental market which we should pay attention to closely. Rents are plunging and vacancies/availabilities are at record highs. Just a couple of articles to whet the appetite to go off exploring the web for more resources on the state of the US rental market. Why this is relevant to Ireland is that economically we are more aligned with the US than the rest of Europe so it is good to see what happens over there as it may be an indication of the direction of travel here.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Jambonjunior

How are people finding the market currently?

Anecdotal based on my own regular Daft search (2 beds in Dublin to rent under 2300 per month). Over 1000 properties available, with many being under 2k for the 2 beds and many are very nice. I am estimating maybe 10-20% rent price drops for 2 bedroom places on Dublin compared to 5 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Anecdotal based on my own regular Daft search (2 beds in Dublin to rent under 2300 per month). Over 1000 properties available, with many being under 2k for the 2 beds and many are very nice. I am estimating maybe 10-20% rent price drops for 2 bedroom places on Dublin compared to 5 months ago.

In your opinion, why haven’t they dropped 10-20% already if there are that many available?

Dav010 wrote: »
    In your opinion, why haven’t they dropped 10-20% already if there are that many available?

Sorry, that's the price drop I have seen already. You would see barely any 2 bedroom places under 2k, now there are plenty and they are in desirable areas as well as being nice properties. I said it earlier in the thread but I'd say 30% drops in rents is what we'll see before it levels off early next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Sorry, that's the price drop I have seen already. You would see barely any 2 bedroom places under 2k, now there are plenty and they are in desirable areas as well as being nice properties. I said it earlier in the thread but I'd say 30% drops in rents is what we'll see before it levels off early next year.
    I know one landlord with six properties on a self contained site
    2 tenants took rent breaks for April and May
    Both left early June without paying arrears.
    He put both on the market and neither have moved
    He gave one to his son and the other a 2 bed one bath with a fairly big courtyard is still on the market at 1850
    Normally his properties go fairly quick.
    They are close to a Dart Station , numerous bus routes , a 20 min walk to coast and a 10 min walk to St Anne’s Park.
    By my reckoning he is down close to 20 k with decorating costs.
    He won’t drop the rents as he is on a RPZ and is afraid the other tenants will look for a rent decrease.

IMO all are in a RPZ ( not that that bothers a lot of landlords ) so by reducing the rent the landlord is stuck with lower rents for years as the are limited by the yearly increase they can impose.
    Head in the sand stuff that rents will recover to pre Covid levels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Blut2

20% drop so far is about accurate:

oMfVsfH.jpg

1bed apartments have gone from 2,071 on Feb 1st to 1,664 on Aug 1st
    2bed apartments have gone from 2,497 on Feb 1st to 2,072 on Aug 1st

Quite substantial drops in such a short period of time. Especially considering we're only just beginning to face into the economic collapse so theres likely a lot further to fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

Blut2 wrote: »

oMfVsfH.jpg

Quite substantial drops in such a short period of time. Especially considering we're only just beginning to face into the economic collapse so theres likely a lot further to fall.

Is there an element of the ads that were available for 1 and 2 beds at the start of the year were for high end properties in Capital dock and with covid and people leaving Dublin, more "everyday" properties have come on stream and thus skewing the average?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

with drop in rents ..surely no need for rpz's???

• Advertisement

rightmove wrote: »
    There will always be a need for RPZ a while there are unscrupulous landlords
    So we will always need RPZs

Hopefully not as they only hurt small time landlords and not the big corporates. Considering big corporates are only a small portion of the market, we should be looking for measures to be introduced to get the small time landlords active.

brisan wrote: »
    There will always be a need for RPZ a while there are unscrupulous landlords
    So we will always need RPZs

the rpz were brought in to deal with rent pressures not landlords being unscrupulous. Lots of decent LL's were affected with their rents being below market rate so your point is not valid.

so I will go again

with rents falling why the need for rpz's??

the rpz were brought in to deal with rent pressures not landlords being unscrupulous. Lots of decent LL's were affected with their rents being below market rate so your point is not valid.

so I will go again

with rents falling why the need for rpz's??
    If the landlord was getting below market rate that was his fault for taking his eye off the ball
    If he was happy with below market rates why would he want market rates or above now.
    RPZ were brought in to give tenants some comfort on the rents and to stop landlords imposing major increases on tenants
    So my point is valid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭snowgal

are you talking about Dublin only? I dont see rent falling around the country at all. If anything they seem to be very slightly higher in Meath/Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

oMfVsfH.jpg

Can you please share the link to this? Think i asked before but does it also include the number of units let? Has that increased which would indicate people moving or trading up etc?

Hubertj wrote: »
    Can you please share the link to this? Think i asked before but does it also include the number of units let? Has that increased which would indicate people moving or trading up etc?

It looks like it’s from a website called the property pin

https://bl.ocks.org/pinsterdev/raw/234b4a5310a14a32e080/
    You can select volume , average rent or median rent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I'm looking at upgrading from 1-bed to 2-bed and am not even bothering reading any advert over €1800.

PommieBast wrote: »
    I'm looking at upgrading from 1-bed to 2-bed and am not even bothering reading any advert over €1800.

How’s it working out?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

How’s it working out?

There are plenty of 2 beds in the region of 1,800 - and several hundred (perhaps even over a thousand) in or around the 2,000 mark. Its entirely plausible to get a very reasonable 2 bed in a reasonable area for the sort of money being mentioned- I don't think the poster is being unrealistic with their expectations.

• Advertisement

There are plenty of 2 beds in the region of 1,800 - and several hundred (perhaps even over a thousand) in or around the 2,000 mark. Its entirely plausible to get a very reasonable 2 bed in a reasonable area for the sort of money being mentioned- I don't think the poster is being unrealistic with their expectations.

I appreciate that, but I would imagine that there would also be considerable interest in nice properties at that price.

Those one bed apartments out of the city centre which aren't the luxury newer builds looking for 1800/1900+ are going to be pushed right down. Mad prices by any metric.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I appreciate that, but I would imagine that there would also be considerable interest in nice properties at that price.

True- I'm not sure demand is what it once was though.
    Location is going to be key- anything that is mispriced is going to be like tumbleweed- no-one is going to even bother anymore.
    Demand is not what it once was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Blut2

Hubertj wrote: »

You can also view the volume of units available too, yes:

zKKHO7Z.jpg

1,066 apartments were available Feb 1st, 2,123 on August 1st.

Its a pretty incredible increase. Especially given the number of available units has hovered between 500-900 for all of the last 5 years - 1,066 wasn't even a low point, it was actually a high point to begin with.

It looks like it’s from a website called the property pin

You can select volume , average rent or median rent

Thank you. I think Actual units let would provide additional detail on the decreases in asking prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

He gave one to his son and the other a 2 bed one bath with a fairly big courtyard is still on the market at 1850
    They are close to a Dart Station , numerous bus routes , a 20 min walk to coast and a 10 min walk to St Anne’s Park.
    He won’t drop the rents as he is on a RPZ and is afraid the other tenants will look for a rent decrease.

If he won’t drop the rents and the two empty ones haven’t moved since June, he’ll soon be with 6 empty apartments! Not moving on rent is pure idiocy, if he was smart about it he’d offer a rent free period at the end of the new lease. That way he’s not dropping headline rents but is offering something to compete with the new market

You can also view the volume of units available too, yes:

zKKHO7Z.jpg

1,066 apartments were available Feb 1st, 2,123 on August 1st.

Its a pretty incredible increase. Especially given the number of available units has hovered between 500-900 for all of the last 5 years - 1,066 wasn't even a low point, it was actually a high point to begin with.

that is significant. Based on increased supply and falling rents i wonder if that is leading to increased activity? During lockdown people couldnt move around. Now that they can and with the economy only going 1 way, if i could save 20%ish on my rent i would move. Or if i could get a nicer place for the same money i am currently paying..... or use it as leverage to secure a reduction on current rent.

If the landlord was getting below market rate that was his fault for taking his eye off the ball
    If he was happy with below market rates why would he want market rates or above now.
    RPZ were brought in to give tenants some comfort on the rents and to stop landlords imposing major increases on tenants
    So my point is valid

The LL on below market were caught out by being decent and your point makes no sense since you are only looking at it emotionally from the side of "bad LL's"

RPZ were introduced when most greedy LL had already reached maximum and it was a PR exercise which only hurt sound LL's and eventually all tenants. Infact it could be argued it just ensured a 4% increase at the max out rates and no where else.

What you dont seem to understand is bad policy is bad policy for everyone. SoI will ask the question again

with failing rents surely the rpz is no longer valid

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭polaco

Are you talking about apartment in Dublin 5 Brookwood Avenue?
    I went for viewing 6 weeks ago and is still available.
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/artane/brookwood-avenue-artane-dublin-2046583/

• Advertisement

I appreciate that, but I would imagine that ther

e would also be considerable interest in nice properties at that price.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/artane/brookwood-avenue-artane-dublin-2046583/
    Both been there a while

Advertisement