Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I responsible?

Options
  • 31-05-2019 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

I have a tomcat he is about one year old. He is not neutered. I let him roam as most cat owners do. My neighbour has been complaining about damages allegedly done by my cat. My neighbour has chickens which she lets Roam around her garden. She claims that my cat killed one of her chickens. She also has a brand-new Audi A4 and she claims that the paint work has been scratched by my cat.

I'm wondering is my neighbour over reacting. After all, she did leave her chickens unattended roaming in her garden. Most people know that there are birds of prey, foxes, and cats roaming around at all times. It's only natural for cats to do what they do. You can't blame a person after their cat attacks another persons chickens. When the chickens are left unattended in the garden they could be attacked by any number of wild animals that roam. Such as foxes, Birds of prey or other domesticated or feral cats.

In my opinion it is the same issue with the Car. It's just a means of transport. It's bound to get some scratches and Knocks here and there. I think my neighbor is being very petty.

To be honest with you, I am very scared of the prospect of being legally obliged to pay damages caused by my cat. I did some research on line And it appears that cats don't have owners Per se In the same way that dogs do. Cat owners are not obliged to microchip or control their cats.

My neighbour is threatening to capture my cat and bring him to the pound or cat rescue in the same way that a stray dog would be brought. This is abject cruelty in my opinion. It is totally unnecessary.

Could we perhaps reach a compromise where my neighbour will let me know in advance when her chickens are out so I can keep my cat in.
    Can the chickens not be kept in an enclosure?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

Thanks for reading.

You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Your entire post reeks of someone who doesn't care about other people's property or animals, but expects them to care about you and yours!

Brand new car got scratched? Sure, **** happens! Chicken dead? That's what happens when you let it roam in your own garden!

Now, while your neighbour would need to prove her claims, it wouldn't hurt you to have a bit more respect for those around you either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Poor attempt at a wind-up.

If you're serious, then I'm flabbergasted that anybody could be so removed from reality. Her garden, her chickens, her property and her right; your cats are the problem and you are responsible for any damage they do.
    Likewise, her car, her property and her right to it not being damaged by the neglect of others.

There is only one compromise; you keep your cats on you property - away from her garden, chickens & car, And you make good the damage done.

But, it's too far fetched

Try something resembling credibility next time..

Edit And, I would not hesitate to take these stray cats to the pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

And these are the reasons why some people shoot cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Fiddlesticks99

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Your entire post reeks of someone who doesn't care about other people's property or animals, but expects them to care about you and yours!

Brand new car got scratched? Sure, **** happens! Chicken dead? That's what happens when you let it roam in your own garden!

Now, while your neighbour would need to prove her claims, it wouldn't hurt you to have a bit more respect for those around you either.

I didn't know the cat done this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

While its very very unlikely that your cat scratched her car and even unlikely it killed her chicken I don't agree with your flippant opinion about somebody else property. A brand new A4 will you set back quite a bit and its not bound to be scratched and dented. Its just as likely its someones pride and joy they paid a ton for. You're entitled to regard your own car like its just a means of transport but not someone elses.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

I will ponder deeply on this ,and get some advice from a mate of mine who is well versed in the Law,(he is always helping the Gardai with their inquiries ).But I think you should get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Got as far as you let you cat roam, therefore you're an irresponsible pet owner already so the answer is probably yes.

I'll never understand why cat owners think it's ok that they can let their cat roam freely to do whatever it wants, it's grossly irresponsible

Now, cop on. You are letting cats wander and these are the things cats do. Hardly a coincidence IF there's damage done.
    I didn't know the cat done this

I don't understand the attitude here, how can I be responsible for my cat when he is off roaming for night? He only comes back for food. I didn't cause the damage.

• Advertisement

One time a golden retriever came into my garden.
    I bashed ots head in with a lump hammer and threw it out on the road.

I don't understand the attitude here, how can I be responsible for my cat when he is off roaming for night? He only comes back for food. I didn't cause the damage.

tumblr_m9qfobMxTG1r76lino1_500_arczhb.gif

And now you're either taking the Mick or totally incapable of life in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,290 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Responsible... no.
    Irresponsible... yes.

Why ask a question if you will only accept one answer?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

Genius op.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Put a bell on the cat?

And now you're either taking the Mick or totally incapable of life in the real world.

Hang on, in real life cats roam. Are you seriously suggesting that owners keep cats contained out the back or on a leash or something? I understand with dogs because they are stupid.

But how on earth do you keep cats in one place, nonsense suggestion.

I agree with that side. Cats roam. Its just what they do. Trying to imprison a cat in the house would be cruel to some extent. The worst they ever do is piss in your garden or kill the odd small bird, but you could put a collar with a bell on him and that's that sorted.

It is very unlikely a cat would kill a chicken, they dont really go for something this big. They even stay away from crows and gulls. I'd say a pigeon is probably the biggest they would go for. As for scratching a car thats more than unlikely, it makes no sense at all. A cat wouldn't scratch a car it might scratch a tree or a sofa but not a hard smooth surface like a car. If anything a cat might jump onto a car but even then it would make no sense for the cat to use its claws. Cats are amongst the most gracious and physically aware animals and they know very well what surfaces they need claws for and what surfaces they need a smooth grippy paw for.

Explain to her the car makes no sense at all and apologise and pay for the chicken and thereby keep the peace.

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Put a bell on the cat?

Thats actually animal cruelty, very stressful for the animal. How is the cat meant to roam and hunt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Fiddlesticks you only have one option here. Sue that f*****g neighbour for defamation and take a nice long holiday for urself and the cat.

Thats actually animal cruelty, very stressful for the animal. How is the cat meant to roam and hunt?

Thats nonsense. We have a cat with a little bell and he doesnt mind it at all. And while he should roam and play hunt he shouldn't actually kill. Small birds have it tough enough without being hunted down by cats.

• Advertisement

I agree with that side. Cats roam. Its just what they do. Trying to imprison a cat in the house would be cruel to some extent. The worst they ever do is piss in your garden or kill the odd small bird, but you could put a collar with a bell on him and that's that sorted.

It is very unlikely a cat would kill a chicken, they dont really go for something this big. They even stay away from crows and gulls. I'd say a pigeon is probably the biggest they would go for. As for scratching a car thats more than unlikely, it makes no sense at all. A cat wouldn't scratch a car it might scratch a tree or a sofa but not a hard smooth surface like a car. If anything a cat might jump onto a car but even then it would make no sense for the cat to use its claws. Cats are amongst the most gracious and physically aware animals and they know very well what surfaces they need claws for and what surfaces they need a smooth grippy paw for.

Explain to her the car makes no sense at all and apologise and pay for the chicken and thereby keep the peace.

No talking to these people, very anti cat. But I'm glad someone sees that there might be another side

That's the point, help stop him from killing the chickens... which is cruelty to the neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Ok...I’ll bite.....
    if you are feeding the cat regularly, you are responsible for damage caused by it, if you don’t want the cat around....stop feeding it, if you want the cat around accept responsibility for the actions of the animal, I wonder if you would take the same attitude if cat was replaced with child?

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Responsible... no.
    Irresponsible... yes.

Why ask a question if you will only accept one answer?

If the owner has been made aware of the damage and takes no steps to prevent it, then he is responsible for any further losses.

I have a ruling on a case here (hard copy only) following a claim for domestic fowl lost to cats

" If an owner knows that their cat is liable to cause damage and the owner (and others) know that if the cat escapes it is likely to cause that damage, then the owner is held liable for any such damage".

Thats nonsense. We have a cat with a little bell and he doesnt mind it at all. And while he should roam and play hunt he shouldn't actually kill. Small birds have it tough enough without being hunted down by cats.

I understand you are the the cat owner, but why do you get to decide its nature? How do you know he "doesnt mind"?

Its cruel, like trying to stop a dog barking with those horrible shock collars

I understand you are the the cat owner, but why do you get to decide its nature? How do you know he "doesnt mind"?

You're only here for a chat aren't you? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

You are making sense about the car, have had cats in the past and there is on way a cat would be able to inflict that kind of damage on a car, the neighbour is on a wind up or very paranoid.Crazy stuff.

I know because if you put anything on him that he doesnt like he will tear it off himself, he will go nuts until its off. But he doesnt mind the collar at all. It also helps to make it clear to everyone that he isn't a stray but someones cat. I would really recommend a collar.

If the owner has been made aware of the damage and takes no steps to prevent it, then he is responsible for any further losses.

I have a ruling on a case here (hard copy only) following a claim for domestic fowl lost to cats

" If an owner knows that their cat is liable to cause damage and the owner (and others) know that if the cat escapes it is likely to cause that damage, then the owner is held liable for any such damage".

Alleged damage...

• Advertisement

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

Advertisement