Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I responsible?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,477 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Alleged damage

Alleged cat. Alleged damage. Alleged owner. Alleged neighbour alegedly kills alleged cat after alleged cat allegedly kills
    chickens. The end.

They have as much chance of proving your cat caused the damage... as you would of proving who was responsible for harm to your roaming cat.

Remember that.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,314 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Thats actually animal cruelty, very stressful for the animal. How is the cat meant to roam and hunt?

Hehe good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Has to be a wind up. If I was the neighbour I'd capture that cat and take it for a drive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Has to be a wind up. If I was the neighbour I'd capture that cat and take it for a drive
    Very hard to drive a Cat . Really Difficult .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

blinding wrote: »
    Very hard to drive a Cat . Really Difficult .

And also difficult to herd

giphy.gif

OP you are being so grumpy about people telling you that you need to be better about your cat, that I doubt you are listening. But you need to be better about your cat. Or someone will kill it. That's just life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Had a neighbor like you before. Shot each pet they ever had. Each time they’d leave their dog off. In they come into our place. They never left though !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Cats scratch for a number of reasons including to maintain their claws, it relaxes them and Because scratching releases scent from their paws. It's marking territory in the third case and is perfectly likely in someone else's garden. It's more likely to scratch to maintain its claws and relax when on their own patch.

A cat might not particularly enjoy scratching a smooth surface like a car, as opposed to a tree. But if it becomes part of their routine when they enter the garden then it's likely they will continue to do it.

Not really buying the OP though. Just responding to this point about cat behaviour.

I've had cats all my life and a cat will not scratch a car. I'd well believe the thing about scratching a convertible's soft top, yes, but the actual metal or paintwork? No.
    The only scenario where this would happen was if a cat sat on a car and someone tried to scare or chase the cat off leading to the cat going off in a mad panic. There is practically zero chance a cat would try to sharpen her claws on a sheer metal surface. They dont actually sharpen their claws. They shed an outer layer of the actual claw brining a new fresh inner layer to the fore. They're using canvas or trees or such for that. A sleek even surface just wouldn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

I cant work out if youre a troll or not - I think you are but on the small chance youre serious, why do you have a pet cat if youre not looking after it properly?
    Cats need to be neutered, your cat is creating dozens of stray little kittens that will most likely die, unneutered male cats are aggressive and get into more fights, not only putting other animals in danger but himself too, its very likely that he attacked those chickens as Tom cats that arent neutered can be viscous towards prey animals. - This is completely your responsibility as you are the owner and responsible for the cat.
    He's more likely to get testicular cancer not to mention the lifetime of frustration youre setting him up for as the hormones can cause cats distress.
    You shouldnt be letting your cats wonder at night and if you continue to do so youre going to learn this the hard way, either he'll be killed on the road or he'll come home some day in a bad state after being in a fight or from being attacked by a fox or a dog and you'll be the one paying the massive vet bill.
    I have three male cats, they go outside during the day but are brought back in at night time, in the beginning it was hard to get them into the house but now they come home when its dark by themselves and run up to their beds after being fed. Theyre happy out and I know theyre safe and theyre not out hurting wildlife or getting into fights with other cats.

Really though, judging by your post, your cat would be much better off in an animal rescue where he can be re-homed and taken care of, as far as your concerned he's a stray cat that comes to your hosue for food, in other words, you dont look after him or take any responsibility for him, he may as well be wild. He deserves appropriate care and to be looked after which youre clearly incapable of doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I've had cats all my life and a cat will not scratch a car. I'd well believe the thing about scratching a convertible's soft top, yes, but the actual metal or paintwork? No.
    The only scenario where this would happen was if a cat sat on a car and someone tried to scare or chase the cat off leading to the cat going off in a mad panic. There is practically zero chance a cat would try to sharpen her claws on a sheer metal surface. They dont actually sharpen their claws. They shed an outer layer of the actual claw brining a new fresh inner layer to the fore. They're using canvas or trees or such for that. A sleek even surface just wouldn't work.

Yeah. I didn't say anything about sharpening claws. I said the reason they would scratch something smooth is because scratching produces scent which marks the object for other cats to smell.

There wouldn't prefer scratching metal. But it could be important to mark that area of the car with scent. For example of another cat sprayed it. It could also be sitting on the bonnet and scratching the car as it gets on and off. Not impossible. Not even terribly unlikely.

Yeah. I didn't say anything about sharpening claws. I said the reason they would scratch something smooth is because scratching produces scent which marks the object for other cats to smell.

There wouldn't prefer scratching metal. But it could be important to mark that area of the car with scent. For example of another cat sprayed it. It could also be sitting on the bonnet and scratching the car as it gets on and off. Not impossible. Not even terribly unlikely.

They would be likely to scratch the tires, not the metal of the car, ive had cats my whole life and theyve never scratched a car like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

They would be likely to scratch the tires, not the metal of the car, ive had cats my whole life and theyve never scratched a car like that.

OK. You've never seen it. But It happens.

And BTW the solution is to wash the part of the car the cat scratches with the odour eater that destroys the smell cats lay down. It takes the object out of the game as no cat has their scent on it anymore.

OK. You've never seen it. But It happens.

Probably but its not likely, her car could have just as been easily scratched by the chickens

Run a small rescue, and also have a lot of feral cats visit our property for food and never had any car scratched.

We also have chickens, none of the cats would go near them, and that includes the feral ones also. Not saying it's impossible for them not to but never seen it in over 15 years of having both.

OP is just talking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

Ok...I’ll bite..... if you are feeding the cat regularly, you are responsible for damage caused by it, if you don’t want the cat around....stop feeding it, if you want the cat around accept responsibility for the actions of the animal, I wonder if you would take the same attitude if cat was replaced with child?

I laughed at the thought of a 3 year old wrestling chickens and keying Audi's lol

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Put a bell on the cat?

Better to put a bell on the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Fun thread :p

I did a bit of googling out of curiosity and it appears that OP is correct in that, unlike dogs, cat owners are not liable for their actions as cats are considered as animals that roam and unlikely to cause damage.

Also it would seem it is up to the injured party to find ways to deter cats from their garden.

(I learned something today :))

OP you can take the moral high ground and tell your neighbors you have no legal obligation but I would suggest that your cats life expectancy will be shortened....and when you accuse your neighbors of doing something to your cat... they will ask if you have any evidence!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

OP, you strike me as someone who is utterly irresponsible. You are the reason that there is an inherent hatred of cats in Ireland and in Irish society.
    Don't project your own little hate-fest on Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

This thread is gas. Reminds me of the time my dog killed and ate a young lad. Neighbour had the cheek to call the gardai! I mean, c'mon, you can just have another kid, get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Run a small rescue, and also have a lot of feral cats visit our property for food and never had any car scratched.

Our cat definitely scratched my parent's cars when I was growing up, she would lie off on the bonnet when it was warm and ended up scratching them quite badly as a result (showed up worse on black paint).

OP my guess is that you are choosing to remain ignorant of any advice you are being given here and were just hoping everyone would back you up but I do think you should get your cat neutered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

boege wrote: »
    Fun thread :p

I did a bit of googling out of curiosity and it appears that OP is correct in that, unlike dogs, cat owners are not liable for their actions as cats are considered as animals that roam and unlikely to cause damage.

Also it would seem it is up to the injured party to find ways to deter cats from their garden.

(I learned something today :))

OP you can take the moral high ground and tell your neighbors you have no legal obligation.....!!!
    Google some more. As already mentioned earlier, there is case law following loss of domestic fowl to a cat which ruled:
    "If an owner knows that their cat is liable to cause damage and the owner (and others) know that if the cat escapes it is likely to cause that damage, then the owner is held liable for any such damage".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Yes you are responsible. At least morally anyway.

If your dog did the same thing then would you feel responsible?

However I'm not sure of the legal situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Cats are problem because we just don’t know what they get up to. Caught my own down the lane once and he had this bitch cornered; had a sinister look in his eye she was crying for help it was harrowing.

Couldn’t live with the realisation I was giving refuge to a rapist. Neuter the bastard.

Advertisement