Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I responsible?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Do the right thing and neuter your Tom, he'll be much happier.

Also, cats very rarely attack chickens. If a cat kills an adult chicken it would b a struggle, and the chicken is just as likely to do damage to the cat.

I don't believe it either about the scratches on the car were caused by the cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Fiddlesticks99

Also, cats very rarely attack chickens. If a cat kills an adult chicken it would b a struggle, and the chicken is just as likely to do damage to the cat.

Yes chickens can be aggressive, not to be trifled with

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Insidious

Just build a cat enclosure in the garden.. a decent size with toys and climbing. It shouldn't be allowed to roam freely. It could hurt someone. A child or someone else's pet or property like happened here. Be responsible and keep the cat on your own property. Things need to change in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,470 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Mod- Redacted and banned

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

Alleged damage...

Alleged cat:rolleyes:

Gave me a giggle though op, nice one.

• Advertisement

That's an awful thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Are they chickens or hens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Alleged damage...

Okay. I suggest you contest the neighbours allegations then and ask them to proceed with a civil case. I have seen cats take poultry and game, and the assertion from another poster that it's unlikely is completely untrue. The neighbour has the strongest case here and your defence is non existent because you openly admit to the cats not only roaming but (incredibly) doing so at night.

Therefore, if you want to keep up the pretence of innocence tell the neighbour to go ahead and sue for damages.

You began by asking if you were responsible for damage done by your cats. Now you're contesting whether they caused the damage or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Insidious wrote: »
    Just build a cat enclosure in the garden.. a decent size with toys and climbing. It shouldn't be allowed to roam freely. It could hurt someone. A child or someone else's pet or property like happened here. Be responsible and keep the cat on your own property. Things need to change in Ireland.

Thats nonsense. Whatever needs to change in Ireland I think roaming cats are pretty far down on that list. In fact there is a reason why cats were domesticated. They are very useful for keeping the numbers of small rodents like rats and mice down. Children benefit from contact with animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Get more cats just to annoy her.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

Just kill the neighbour, problem solved.

Blaizes wrote: »
    the neighbour is on a wind up or very paranoid.Crazy stuff.

I sense it's not the neighbour doing the winding up.

Insidious wrote: »

Now come on, cat enclosure?!? ffs. What needs to change exactly?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have a tomcat he is about one year old. He is not neutered. I let him roam as most cat owners do. My neighbour has been complaining about damages allegedly done by my cat. My neighbour has chickens which she lets Roam around her garden. She claims that my cat killed one of her chickens. She also has a brand-new Audi A4 and she claims that the paint work has been scratched by my cat.

I'm wondering is my neighbour over reacting. After all, she did leave her chickens unattended roaming in her garden. Most people know that there are birds of prey, foxes, and cats roaming around at all times. It's only natural for cats to do what they do. You can't blame a person after their cat attacks another persons chickens. When the chickens are left unattended in the garden they could be attacked by any number of wild animals that roam. Such as foxes, Birds of prey or other domesticated or feral cats.

In my opinion it is the same issue with the Car. It's just a means of transport. It's bound to get some scratches and Knocks here and there. I think my neighbor is being very petty.

To be honest with you, I am very scared of the prospect of being legally obliged to pay damages caused by my cat. I did some research on line And it appears that cats don't have owners Per se In the same way that dogs do. Cat owners are not obliged to microchip or control their cats.

My neighbour is threatening to capture my cat and bring him to the pound or cat rescue in the same way that a stray dog would be brought. This is abject cruelty in my opinion. It is totally unnecessary.

Could we perhaps reach a compromise where my neighbour will let me know in advance when her chickens are out so I can keep my cat in.
    Can the chickens not be kept in an enclosure?

Thanks for reading.
    I have a dog.
    He likes to wander around even at night. A neighbour says that it killed his sheep.

Shouldn't his sheep have been kept in an enclosure? He should take out adverts letting dog owners know when they'll be out at night if he has any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Srameen you're usually a very sensible guy. Come on there is a reasonable if somewhat small chance the cat may have killed a chicken, fair enough. I'd recommend the OP pays for a chicken. But the car thing makes no sense at all and cats in general really are grand little animals and they cause very little damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

You should really put an imaginary bell on your imaginary cat. They kill a lot of birds.

I don't believe it either about the scratches on the car were caused by the cat.

You are ignoring that he lets this cat roam at night. A Tom will easily take a roosting hen of many breeds at night.

Srameen you're usually a very sensible guy. Come on there is a reasonable if somewhat small chance the cat may have killed a chicken, fair enough. I'd recommend the OP pays for a chicken. But the car thing makes no sense at all and cats in general really are grand little animals and they cause very little damage.

You'll find I have concentrated on the attack by the alleged cat on the chickens. I have seen the damage done after cats took fowl in daylight and at night. I also said to pay for the losses.
    it's beyond a small chance that a wandering Tom would take roosting hens after dark.

Okay. I suggest you contest the neighbours allegations then and ask them to proceed with a civil case. I have seen cats take poultry and game, and the assertion from another poster that it's unlikely is completely untrue. The neighbour has the strongest case here and your defence is non existent because you openly admit to the cats not only roaming but (incredibly) doing so at night.

Therefore, if you want to keep up the pretence of innocence tell the neighbour to go ahead and sue for damages.

You began by asking if you were responsible for damage done by your cats. Now you're contesting whether they caused the damage or not.

admitting the cat roams is not proof of anything, that typical for cats. Also neither party knows if the cat in fact did the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,470 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That's an awful thing to say.

Thankfully I typed rather than said it.

It is for the neighbour to consider, not us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

If this is genuine post think it would have been better to post it in the farming forum/thread, farmers will definitely know whether a cat is capable of killing a chicken. I've had cats before have never experienced nor heard of it and don't see it as being likely but farmers would know for sure.

Danzy wrote: »
    Thankfully I typed rather than said it.

It is for the neighbour to consider, not us.

Pedantic and suggesting animal cruelty? Lovely :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,465 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Feral cats a risk to hens... no reason to doubt this eyewitness account. If a feral cat could do it so could a roaming tomcat surely.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/outdoors/dick-warner/feral-cats-a-big-risk-to-hens-343376.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Blaizes wrote:
    If this is genuine post think it would have been better to post it in the farming forum/thread, farmers will definitely know whether a cat is capable of killing a chicken. I've had cats before have never experienced nor heard of it and don't see it as being likely but farmers would know for sure.

My neighbours cat left a male pheasant outside the door one day, and a squirrel another. I can definitely see one taking out a roosting hen.

people are generally missing my point and just giving out to me. Cats do whatever they like, hunt, kill, scratch. Thats an animals nature. How can an owner be responsible for this.

People don't have sympathy for the idiots who get mauled after climbing into a lions den at zoo's do they? No, because that's nature for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

Danzy wrote: »
    Tell your neighbourhood to put down a saucer of antifreeze.

That's actually a great idea, cheap too

• Registered Users Posts: 28,465 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

people are generally missing my point and just giving out to me. Cats do whatever they like, hunt, kill, scratch. Thats an animals nature. How can an owner be responsible for this.
    People don't have sympathy for the idiots who get mauled after climbing into a lions den at zoo's do they? No, because that's nature for you.

So is killing a cat that eats your chickens.
    People dont have sympathy for roaming cats that dont come back alive. And the more it roams the more likely it is for one reason or another not to.
    If you want natural law...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭yoursaviour1989

I agree with that side. Cats roam. Its just what they do. Trying to imprison a cat in the house would be cruel to some extent. The worst they ever do is piss in your garden or kill the odd small bird, but you could put a collar with a bell on him and that's that sorted.

It is very unlikely a cat would kill a chicken, they dont really go for something this big. They even stay away from crows and gulls. I'd say a pigeon is probably the biggest they would go for. As for scratching a car thats more than unlikely, it makes no sense at all. A cat wouldn't scratch a car it might scratch a tree or a sofa but not a hard smooth surface like a car. If anything a cat might jump onto a car but even then it would make no sense for the cat to use its claws. Cats are amongst the most gracious and physically aware animals and they know very well what surfaces they need claws for and what surfaces they need a smooth grippy paw for.

Explain to her the car makes no sense at all and apologise and pay for the chicken and thereby keep the peace.

Cats can absolutely scrape cars, I've had it happen to me in the past. They climb up on the bonnet for the warmth of the engine or the roof for the heat of the sun.
    Lived in an estate where cats roamed around freely and got multiple scrapes on the bonnet of my car. Didn't pursue anyone as it would be impossible to track the owner of a specific cat and the car wasn't worth much anyway. It's just a few thin lines in the paintwork.
    Brand new A4 is a different story. I'd be very pissed if it were mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,290 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

You chose to get a pet. You chose to be responsible for that pet. If you know it is in the animals nature to kill a neighbors pet, maybe you should consider your responsibilities.

If you had a dog and it bit killed someones pet would you say the same?

I have two cats. Both are indoor cats, and they are well looked after and happy little kitties. So you can F off with your dismissal of criticism as 'anti-cat'.

Why on earth do you think the roaming of your cat is more important than the life of someone else's pet? Staggering ignorance and arrogance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Thats actually animal cruelty, very stressful for the animal. How is the cat meant to roam and hunt?

Neuter your cat, that tom has probably impregnated countless females that have given birth to countless more and most of these cats will see some sort of horrible suffering and cruelty because they are feral and hungry.

thats animal cruelty

Advertisement