Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cupra Born

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The 150BHP 48KW is roughly the same price I paid for my ID3 First last year. VW sweetened th deal with €600 free charge credit and 3 months of my payments back.

I'll go have a look in the local garage and see what they'd offer against the Born 204.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭Patser

Just to follow up, dealer got back to me with a trade in value for my car...

It's probably on a par to what a trade in should be, but I know I could easily sell it privately for a lot more - It's a BMW i3, so equally in demand.

But since they'll only accept trade ins, I'll end up losing thousands on any deal. While they get themselves stock...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

No straight cash deals, as in cash cash or no trade in but getting finance? I'd be looking to get it on PCP without a trade...

Seemed to be- has to have a trade in, so straight in deals. Not sure about if you're signing up with them. I had been saying I'd be possibly buying outright.

But a lot of sales focus was on my car, assessed it for trade in right away, just needed a few minutes if I could spare etc

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

Yikes, 5 ID3s for 1 Cupra... doesn't bode well given how in short supply the new ID3s appear to be.

Focused on your trade in coz they'd probably make a killing selling it on given how high used car prices are these days. Mad to think you could walk in there with a cheque for the full amount and they wouldn't sell you one.

McCoy's are probably the biggest Cupra dealer. They'll have plenty of crappy crossover sales to keep them happy, don't see the point on restricting the Born. Cupra was never a big seller here and there's not a huge interest in the Born, people are still fond of their VW badge so don't see them selling big numbers.

If they're only getting 10 all year, I can understand trying to maximise profit and if they can get a trade in cheap to double their profits - well it's their call.

But I'm finding it hard to justify plus €40k on a hatchback - especially if my own car is being undervalued

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭joe1303l

My local dealer confirmed they will have one in the showroom for viewing in March and they should be able to place orders in April. August for first cars to customers but dealer allocations unknown.

Post edited by joe1303l on

August! Jaysus 🤬

I'm going to get one for 2024, so will proabaly have to place my order this time next year. Any guesses on the real world range of the eBoost models in winter? 58kW is 420km, and the 77kW is 548km WLTP. I regularly have to do a 250km trip and have no inclination to stop and charge en route.

I don't think the RRP incl grants in the product guide is right either. There should be no VRT rebate availabile on the 77kW as the RRP is more than 50k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Any guesses on the real world range of the eBoost models in winter? 58kW is 420km, and the 77kW is 548km WLTP. I regularly have to do a 250km trip and have no inclination to stop and charge en route.

I cant imagine it would be any better than the ID.3, which is the same platform and battery. In winter, on the motorway, the ID.3 will just about do the 250km. Not alot to spare. The 77kWh would be fine.

So, on N Roads only the 58kW should be able to do the 250km too no problem I assume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

For sure.... high speed is the high consumer so you will be doing 120km/h on M roads but probably averaging <100km/h on N roads so 250km will be no problem at all.

Unless your N road driving is lots of shorter journeys then you have the added complication of having to heat the cabin multiple times which draws additional power, but in general you will have no problem getting 250km+ on N roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I seem to get less range than most from my ID.3 but in the winter I would get 240/250km at best. No motorways, average speed in mid to high 70s and in normal commuting traffic. But this is when temps are around freezing or just above.

So it really will depend from person to person but I wouldn't go on a 250km trip knowing 100% I'll make it in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dubsphan

Fabulous looking car. Really tempted by this one.

Only nagging doubt is that a lot of the reviews say that the infotainment system is very poor. Is this the same system as in the ID.3, I wonder?

The ID.3 and Golf were heavily criticised for being slow and buggy at launch but seeing newer videos it's clearly more responsive. Reviewers like to pretend it's still crap by moving around the map in the navigation quickly which nobody would actually do, everyone will use Android Auto or Carplay anyway so it's a non issue.

A lot of reviewers also don't know you can double tap temperature controls to turn on heated seats or add shortcuts to the drop down menu on the screen for quick access so forget what they have to say. In the real world, how often are people really messing around with infotainment outside of radio and climate control? Worth asking in the ID.3 thread how people find general infotainment use. Aside from setting tyre pressure every 2-3 months, I don't use the infotainment in my Golf. Android Auto does all the work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Order books now open for the Born. Expected in Q3 in VERY limited numbers and that will be it till 2023. Anyone interested might be best off following up now.

I've been in touch with a dealer and he said that it'd be April or May before he has a demo.

I don't want to put down a €500 deposit on am order and then lose that because I don't like the feel of the Born.

McCoy's told me someone has already placed an order when they called me 2 weeks ago. If it wasn't for the trade-in requirement I'd have my name down for one, who knows when the next ones would arrive.

• Advertisement

Does the online builder account for the grant?

I put together a build that I'd be interested in and it's coming in around €43K. I'm not sure if that's before the grant is deducted though and I couldn't see any mention of it on the Born builder.

No it doesn't. You're better off looking at the product guide I added above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

McCoys have a policy of only selling you a new car certainly the Born if you have a trade in, they are starved of stock about half their fleet was uk imports before Brexit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,649 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

That's mental, I never heard of a dealer doing this before. I really wish we could just order direct from the manufacturer, order online and a truck just delivers the car. These dealers are just becoming annoying now.

• Advertisement

Yea that's bonkers! With such short supply they're holding all the cards. The easiest sale they'd ever make and they're saying they'd basically turn away customers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭shanec1928

nearly every seat dealer is a cupra dealer now. plenty others than mccoys.

I'll be taking my business elsewhere anyway.

I wonder if Cupra will manage to sidestep the software issues that the ID3 has seemed to have suffered since launch?

Although it's a different infotainment system, not sure if the entire system is different or just the UI.

I might give Airside and Spirit Cupra a call tomorrow but I can't see them being any different.

• Advertisement

I was talking to a dealer today who has said he'll be ordering a few stock cars in and hopes to have them available in July but no guarantees.

Spoke to McCoy's today, I will be putting an order deposit down on Tuesday to have my name on the list, a family member is no longer driving so will be using their car to trade-in. I thought there was 10 for Ireland but McCoy's said they are getting 10 so at least there will be more stock at other dealers for those who have been following the car closely.

They said they've got 5 people on the list now. Hopefully being one of the 10 means a guaranteed order and no issues with spec missing like the Ioniq 5. Not a lot of options on the website configurator so hopefully not an issue to spec seats or any tech/safety pack.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

Placed my order with Cupra in Airside for the Born.

Mind you, with the factory in Zwickau ceasing production, heaven knows when I might see it, if ever!

Wonder how long they'll hold my trade in value for?

Great stuff. Did you spec any options apart from colour? Or are they just saying you'll take what you get!

When did they cease production? I have an order in too

I couldn't spec the Pilot L pack which is a shame as I wanted the top view camera but not a huge loss.

Went for Vapor Grey, 20" Hurricane wheels, Tech L, Dynamic Chassis.

Tech L w/Safelock is a forced option but is worth it for the extra wheel arch parking sensors that Park Assist has.

I wanted the grey alcantara seats but didn't want to spend €1,200 to have electric massage seats so hopefully standard cloth is supportive enough.

As far as I know production at Zwickau hasn't stopped, just reduced to Monday only for now. Considering other parts of Europe got the Born in January I'd like to think they'd try get some to Ireland. There's already plenty of ID.3's here for the moment :)

Went for the Born 204hp in Quasar Grey with:

19" "TYPHOON" Alloy wheels Machined in Sport Black/Copper

Tech "L" w/ SAFE (have to get the Protect Pack with this)

Beats Audio

Heat Pump

That's interesting about Zwickaou. When ordering I was told these cars would arrive on schedule (all going to plan!) but in fairness that was prior to events in Ukraine.

Anyway, this is my order:

Aurora Blue (close call with Quasar Gray and a departure from my usual red but I didn't think the red and copper looked great together)

Typhoon 19" copper wheels

Tech 'L' with safe

Protect pack

Splashed out nearly €1k on the blue as they confirmed that the panoramic roof, which I wanted, doesn't open, so I decided against that. That kind of money makes it a very expensive (and pointless) window!

Post edited by sy_flembeck on

Any delivery estimations?

• Advertisement

When placing the order they were saying 5/6 months. But I'd say now it will be a case of eventually!

I was told July on the phone, then August when ordering and even then it didn't seem like a concrete answer. The situation in Ukraine will probably add a few months to it. Just hope there's no big price scare for 222 reg or they pull Born orders to focus on ID.3.

There'll be an extra 5k anyway won't there? When/if the SEAI grant goes. Or is it the VRT rebate?

Edit: doh, that's for 231

I see the wiring looms for VAG EVs are made in Ukraine, so none of them for a while until that ends or somewhere else can make them instead.

So do you have to get the Protect Pack if you want the Tech L with SAFE?

I was looking at the Grey Dinamica seats option, mainly for the heated seats as I can't see if the standard ones are heated.

I'm really keen on the panoramic sunroof, surprised it doesn't open as it says electronically operated in the brochure...

Is it the blind that's electronically operated?

You do have to get the protect pack with Tech L Safe.

Still might add the Dinamica to my options.

Oh yes that would make sense, didn't think of that

• Advertisement

Standard cloth seats are heated. The Below Zero pack is included on the standard model.

Protect Pack is required for Tech L without Safelock. Tech L WITH Safelock doesn't require it, my order went through successfully with Tech L w/o Safelock and no Protect Pack. I wanted Park Assist so needed Tech L Safelock but didn't want the alarm so no desire for Protect Pack.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

Advertisement