Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA people = Cavemen?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

conorh91 wrote: »
    Precisely. Your problem was your problem.

Hahaha, wanting to stop being involved with one's GAA club is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Precisely. Your protest was not shared.

You keep on about this point but it means nothing.

All the poster said is that he decided the manger was a dick so he walked off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Again, thanks for the parenting tips Dr Spock

What do you mean by this?
    how many kids have you raised again

There are two problems with this fallacious line:

1. The presumption that not having 'qualified' to contribute a sperm to an egg negates the validity of all views of the person who supposedly hasn't.

2. Those who have fertilised an egg suddenly become experts at parenting.

Are you feeling out of your depth yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Hahaha, wanting to stop being involved with one's GAA club is a problem.
    Not at all. I'm distinguishing between one person's problems, or tantrums, and a bigger issue of a squad's problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Love the sport, have been a supporter all of my life(football not hurling, I'm not a total animal :D)
    UNTIL I moved "down the country"

The parish politics and cliques far out weigh the sport down here. It really is who you know and what family you are. The families are militant and forget its a "sport".
    Wouldn't let my kids near it due to the culture locally outside of the games.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Not at all. I'm distinguishing between one person's problems, or tantrums, and a bigger issue of a squad's problem.

The funniest part of you thinking I was like some spoiled teenager having a tantrum and stomping out of there expecting my team to follow me is that you know literally nothing about the situation aside from me having a disagreement with my manager and leaving. The only reason I've continued replying to you is because I'm enjoying seeing how far your notions go, keep going and blindly defend a random GAA club if you'd like, I just hope you're not actually taking any of this as serious as you seem to be lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

a little off topic but has anyone else noticed that GAA, hurling and Irish sports stars in general tend to have the personality of a dead fish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Cavemen? Not really. I enjoyed playing and think hurling in particular is a fantastic sport. I would agree that there is a lot of nepotism involved in selecting players and lads from.poorer backgrounds often wouldn't get a look in on account of the coaches desire for social climbing and getting on with the parish big shots. Which is a shame as it turned many off the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Robsweezie wrote: »
    a little off topic but has anyone else noticed that GAA, hurling and Irish sports stars in general tend to have the personality of a dead fish?

It's either that.......... or Conor McGregor.

Choose wisely Neo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Chucken wrote: »
    I'm not a guy :(
    I'm an oldish lady, probably old enough to your grandmother...but I digress.

My grandsons will have a difficult time on the hurling pitch I'd say. Lets just say their surname isnt Irish. ;)

Are you one of the Bin Ladens from Toomevarra?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They're great sports. I was raised with a father who hurled for our club and he passed it on to me so maybe I'd no choice but I still fell in love with the game. Where I grew up in north Tipp it was hurling all the way, I loved football too but it wasn't really encouraged, to this day our club's hurling and football sides don't operate under the same banner.

My dream as a child was to score a winning point for Tipp in an AI hurling final. The bould John O'Dwyer came within a hawkeye of doing this against those insufferable cats last September. He didn't do it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Chucken wrote: »
    Never in my life heard of anything called the queens game :confused:
    It was their eighth studio album.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_%28Queen_album%29

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

The overwhelming majority of GAA 'cavemen' follow other sports (and vise versa) so in affect you're calling all sports supporters 'cavemen'.

Are soccer fans 'cavemen' because Blatter has come out during the week saying that racism is natural, because Feyenoord fans went ape **** in Rome a few days ago?
    Are rugby fans 'cavemen' because of South African rugby and their role in apartheid?

You may say that the rugby one isn't exactly recent but it's a hell of a lot more recent than what some people throw at the GAA.
    OP you'd want to get that chip off your shoulder, the GAA are no better, or no worse than other sporting organisations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

sabat wrote: »
    Garrison Games is the expression I've heard many times.

Of course you should never mention to GAA heads that their football is an entirely artificial construct, manufactured purely to be something that wasn't English. The effects of this back-of-an-envelope rulebook can still be seen today as it's almost impossible to dispossess an opposition player without fouling them.

A shoulder isn't a foul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

From a rural area where GAA is very important. Never liked it (or any other sport in fairness). But what I hate about GAA is the parochialism it engenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

ok.

Thanks for the parenting tips. How many children have you successfully raised?

Taliban, gahliban. All the same. Don't like outsiders and punish those who do.

You're just embarrassing yourself at this stage....:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

A local GAA club tried to kill off my football club with the full support of the county structure. They nearly did as well. And were on record as boasting that they would do it.

I've nothing against normal GAA supporters and volunteers, many of whom number my family and friends but I'll always hate that fcuking organization and dearly hope my kids will not want to play it. Each year something like Garth Brooks will come up to remind you of their true colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

My dad played in an Ireland hurling final. Has won every club medal possible in Munster. He's still very actively involved in the GAA club at home. His siblings would be an extremely well known hurling family of their era.

He has also played rugby, soccer and boxed. I've never been driven to play any particular sport. I have, however, been strongly encouraged to okay sport for the health benefits, to understanding the concepts of winning/losing and for developing friendships.

There are many broad generalisations on this thread. I see issues with my local GAA club but I also see issues with the soccer club, the athletics team, etc. I stay out of the politics of the various codes and view my kids participation purely on the basis of what's good for the kids. I live in a rural area so at a young age, their participation far outways excluding them based on my own issues with the adults involved. Will review as they get older but I'd be hoping they'd make up their own minds, much as I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Anyone see that GAA ad with emigrants watching from different countries..Its totally cringe!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,154 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

My only experience of a clash between Gaelic football and the football team was when a new coach came in for the football team and said to the players that they'd be off the team should they play gaelic football.There are bitter minorities on both sides, they are better off ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The Peanut wrote: »
    My dad played in an Ireland hurling final. Has won every club medal possible in Munster. He's still very actively involved in the GAA club at home. His siblings would be an extremely well known hurling family of their era.

He has also played rugby, soccer and boxed. I've never been driven to play any particular sport. I have, however, been strongly encouraged to okay sport for the health benefits, to understanding the concepts of winning/losing and for developing friendships.

There are many broad generalisations on this thread. I see issues with my local GAA club but I also see issues with the soccer club, the athletics team, etc. I stay out of the politics of the various codes and view my kids participation purely on the basis of what's good for the kids. I live in a rural area so at a young age, their participation far outways excluding them based on my own issues with the adults involved. Will review as they get older but I'd be hoping they'd make up their own minds, much as I did.

People involved with 'soccer' generally have a better sense of self criticism though. Many such people here would be very quick to trenchantly criticize the FAI or junior football structures in Ireland, perhaps too quickly sometimes.

On the other hand, if the aspects of cultural near-fascism, blatant funding disparities and political cronyism, expansionism (see Croke Park residents vs HQ profits) of the GAA is brought up, even reasonable supporters will instantly circle the wagons and start ranting

It's basically analogous to nationalism, perhaps unsurprisingly.

It seems strange that people who hate the GAA often hold up the organisations ethos's as their main gripe and cannot disassociate the 2 GAA sports from the organisation itself.

Most soccer fans like myself have no great love for FIFA/FAI/FA but I don't let that stop me enjoying the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

FURET wrote: »
    From a rural area where GAA is very important. Never liked it (or any other sport in fairness). But what I hate about GAA is the parochialism it engenders.

This. How many Irish have emigrated to fantastically far away places like Australia and the Middle East only to set up their own GAA tribe (club), spend all their time hanging out together and marrying each other? It's a real attitude of "once we have each other we don't need anyone else".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,154 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

This. How many Irish have emigrated to fantastically far away places like Australia and the Middle East only to set up their own GAA tribe (club), spend all their time hanging out together and marrying each other? It's a real attitude of "once we have each other we don't need anyone else".

You're criticising people for setting up a club for a game they love when they're abroad when they may miss it? Bit harsh if you ask me.

This. How many Irish have emigrated to fantastically far away places like Australia and the Middle East only to set up their own GAA tribe (club).

You do realise this is primarily how rugby and soccer spread initially?
    What is so wrong with setting up clubs abroad anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Robsweezie wrote: »

Eamonn Coughlan isn't.

Mushy wrote: »
    You're criticising people for setting up a club for a game they love when they're abroad when they may miss it? Bit harsh if you ask me.
    You do realise this is primarily how rugby and soccer spread initially?
    What is so wrong with setting up clubs abroad anyway.

I'm not saying it's bad or wrong as it brings happiness to those involved but that it is parochialism and is a product of the embedded parochialism from the GAA culture in Ireland.

I'm not saying it's bad or wrong as it brings happiness to those involved but that it is parochialism and is a product of the embedded parochialism from the GAA culture in Ireland.

People go on about parochialism and the GAA; isn't parochialism just a smaller version of the patriotism in which all sports thrive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...or people playing a sport they like wanting to continue playing a sport they like. It could be that.

• Advertisement

People go on about parochialism and the GAA; isn't parochialism just a smaller version of the patriotism in which all sports thrive?

Yes, it is. GAA isn't an international sport though so does not lend itself to patriotism the same way other sports do. Essentially the setting up and joining of a GAA club abroad is to create a bubble in which to isolate oneself from the foreign community within which one is supposedly engaged.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement