Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I don't like cricket

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

People who claim they hate cricket because the rules are too hard to understand etc. have never clearly taken more than a cursory glance at it. It's a very straight forward game and very easy to understand. Sure, like any sport, it has its nuances but it certainly ain't rocket science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I hate Test cricket but the short versions of it can be fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

namloc1980 wrote: »
    People who claim they hate cricket because the rules are too hard to understand etc. have never clearly taken more than a cursory glance at it. It's a very straight forward game and very easy to understand. Sure, like any sport, it has its nuances but it certainly ain't rocket science.

True, there are many terms (e.g. fielding positions) that make it seem complicated, but the basics are easy enough to understand. People just need to watch a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

GerB40 wrote: »
    Nah I can't stand it either. I'm all for hopping on a bandwagon but I'll let this one pass, cricket just doesn't do it for me. Darts can fúck off too...

Thank you for not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Gyalist wrote: »
    The irony is that the counties that are now traditionally strong at hurling are the same counties where the game was most popular.

How is that in any way ironic? If anything it makes perfect sense that a stick and ball game was superseded by another stick and ball game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

Cricket really is the best game - from a fan of pretty much all sports, cricket is the one I dream about, feel a physical ache to play when I've been out of training for a few months (like now) and feel physically sick in the closing overs of a tight game like yesterday. Once you get the bug you never get rid of it and because it has so many variations you can keep playing into your 80s if you wish. Professional cricket is high risk, and highly tactical but so is pretty much every sport at the top levels...like others have said on this thread - I don't diss anyone else's sport, I'd really like it if people could refrain from dissing mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

galljga1 wrote: »
    The spectators?

Why would spectators take performance enhancing drugs?
    To boo louder :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

How is that in any way ironic? If anything it makes perfect sense that a stick and ball game was superseded by another stick and ball game.
    Not exactly superseded. The two games co-existed, with many people being involved in both.

Then the nationalist, and somewhat anti-English, sentiments of the late 19th century arose, and the ban on "foreign" games was imposed by the GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Not exactly superseded. The two games co-existed, with many people being involved in both.

Then the nationalist, and somewhat anti-English, sentiments of the late 19th century arose, and the ban on "foreign" games was imposed by the GAA.

True, but still perfectly fitting that a good cricket player would be a good hurler, and vice versa.

• Advertisement

Sports in the sports forums please. Please read their charters before posting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement