Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't like cricket

Options
  • 08-03-2015 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,464 ✭✭✭✭

I fcuking hate it more than any other sport. Even most of the spectators are reading newspapers or getting a tan while watching.

UTV "Ireland" (full of British shows) saw fit to show highlights last night.

Rethink not only your priorities but your offensive channel. Thank you.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,061 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Change the channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

'I don't like cricket... oh no .!.......
    I love it. :):):) '

Ya I don't understand the whole thing myself.

Ireland are doing good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

I love it ah

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

It's just barely a sport, looks like a bunch of OAP messing with a ball and bat while sipping on tea and eating queen cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Nah I can't stand it either. I'm all for hopping on a bandwagon but I'll let this one pass, cricket just doesn't do it for me. Darts can fúck off too...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

The Asians tend to be more boisterous about it, one for my bucket list is an international cricket match with any two of India, Pakistan or Sri Lanka.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I'd like to see a game sometime. Sit about drinking in the sun with some sport on in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I don't like Mondays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Ops not a frog at all.

Impostor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Great game, more running than you think and a high risk of injury from batting /bowling. Good spectator sport for a day in the sun . When I retire defo going to go to a 5 day test match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I fcuking hate it more than any other sport. Even most of the spectators are reading newspapers or getting a tan while watching.

UTV "Ireland" (full of British shows) saw fit to show highlights last night.

Rethink not only your priorities but your offensive channel. Thank you.

Well Ireland are playing in the world cup, so it's of interest to some Irish folk.

I could ask the same question with the Irish weather showing weather for other countries that are nothing to do with Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I used to hate it until I actually sat and watched a game and learnt what was going on.

It's a great game and I'd advise anyone to take the time to find out what it's about.

Anyone that says it's boring certainly hasn't watched Ireland's 3 wins in this WC. 3 of the most exciting finishes I've experienced in any sport. And that's from someone that doesn't have Sky Sports and followed the games on their threads on here and the live updates on the Guardian website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

Calling it a sport is pushing it.The only performance enhancing drug they take is coffee to keep them awake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Delighted to see any Irish sports people doing well on the International stage.

I wouldn't watch the sport but will be only too happy to see the lads do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I'd like to see a game sometime. Sit about drinking in the sun with some sport on in the background.

Went to a game when I lived in Australia, its great craic sitting in the sun having a beer, because the game is slow the crowd tend to get involved in making their own fun even to the point of chanting at any players standing at the boundary until they get a reaction of some sort. Its a very different atmosphere to other sports Ive been to but its certainly worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

Gosh I forgot that song ....brings back sad memories. ... wow..yeah..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Palz

Ireland's match v Zimbabwe yesterday was brilliant.
    Even if you knew nothing about the game you would have enjoyed it.

And there's a real cracking game on right now with SL chasing a big Australian score.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There's stuff I don't like. Does anybody care?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Working in India, my collogues are a few Indian's, 2 Sri Lankans, 3 South Africans and 2 English people. All of them seem to care about the CWC, I could care less.

Ireland are playing India on Tuesday and they are telling me "oh India have a nice batting practice on Tuesday" or "India will beat Ireland by the highest score of the competition" and so on.

I've just been telling them that Ireland having a circket team at a world cup is like India having a soccer team at a world cup, nobody gives a toss about the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Working in India, my collogues are a few Indian's, 2 Sri Lankans, 3 South Africans and 2 English people. All of them seem to care about the CWC, I could care less.

Ireland are playing India on Tuesday and they are telling me "oh India have a nice batting practice on Tuesday" or "India will beat Ireland by the highest score of the competition" and so on.

I've just been telling them that Ireland having a circket team at a world cup is like India having a soccer team at a world cup, nobody gives a toss about the sport.

Soccer is huge in certain parts of India, surprised you've missed that living there and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

fran17 wrote: »
    Calling it a sport is pushing it.The only performance enhancing drug they take is coffee to keep them awake.

The spectators?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I don't like it either but some people do. I can't stand GAA either but I don't complain about a bias on RTE: I just tune to another station showing Rugby or athletics. I think the thinly veiled anti British stance of the OP is bordering on paranoia. If you don't like it then watch something else - we are certainly not short of channels to choose from. Many people in Ireland enjoy watching it so leave them to it. Referring to it as offensive is utter nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I don't like it either but some people do. I can't stand GAA either but I don't complain about a bias on RTE: I just tune to another station showing Rugby or athletics. I think the thinly veiled anti British stance of the OP is bordering on paranoia. If you don't like it then watch something else - we are certainly not short of channels to choose from. Many people in Ireland enjoy watching it so leave them to it. Referring to it as offensive is utter nonsense.

I think 'offensive' was referring to UTV Ireland, not sure why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

I never bothered to find out about the rules of cricket but it does have an interesting history in Ireland as at one stage was the most popular sport in the country and was widely played. Popular referring to the fact that it was played at all strata in society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Soccer is huge in certain parts of India, surprised you've missed that living there and all.

They rank no. 171 in the world compared to ROI at 67.

Cricket, Hockey, Kabaddi, and Tennis all rank above Soccer for spectator and paticipation numbers in India.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I can't stand rugby but I don't complain about a bias on RTE although on balance you could make a strong case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Gmol wrote: »
    Great game, more running than you think and a high risk of injury from batting /bowling. Good spectator sport for a day in the sun . When I retire defo going to go to a 5 day test match.

Takes a lot of courage to play the game well as you are coached to get into line with the ball when batting. A cricket ball hitting you at 60 mph hurts, nevermind the bowling in international cricket which is often in excess of 90 mph. Even what looks like a simple catch could hurt you quite badly if you aren't taught how to how catch the ball correctly.

I've played, coached and now umpire the game and I'm delighted to see the hard work of so many volunteers in the clubs paying off as Ireland regularly qualifies for major tournaments.

Ireland are playing England on the 8th of May in Malahide and, weather permitting, it is going to be a great day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

It's really, really not.

There are two leagues here, the actual national league which is about the standard of the leinster senior league, and then a 2 month "Indian Super league" with 8 teams over 7 states bankrolled by some businessmen with ageing europen players like David James, Michael Chopra, Jermaine Pennant, etc and the "big" name like Alessandro Nesta and Elano who are getting paid bucket loads of cash to play a handful of games. Some of the foreign players had been retired for years before coming to play in the ISL.

Neither of them attracts the types of crowds that cricket does. The team based in Cochin (former Portugese colony) had the highest average attendance but still couldn't sell out the stadium despite pretty much giving tickets away.

Football is becoming popular with young people in India, but it's still not a major sport here.
    The Indian National Team is a joke, only one player plays outside of India and he's a reserve 'keeper in Norway. They are ranked lower than international power houses like Montserrat, Tahiti and New Caledonia, despite having approx 20% of the planets population.

On the other hand, every TV station in the country has ads for the cricket world cup matches, there are billboards with cricket players everywhere. 90% of the sports section in the paper is taken up by international and domestic cricket, tennis gets a decent look in, with soccer getting about as much attention as hockey and badminton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I never bothered to find out about the rules of cricket but it does have an interesting history in Ireland as at one stage was the most popular sport in the country and was widely played. Popular referring to the fact that it was played at all strata in society

The irony is that the counties that are now traditionally strong at hurling are the same counties where the game was most popular.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement