Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't like cricket

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Your constant outrage about trivial national matters must almost constitute a health risk at this stage.

And that's just to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

It's really, really not.

On the other hand, every TV station in the country has ads for the cricket world cup matches, there are billboards with cricket players everywhere. 90% of the sports section in the paper is taken up by international and domestic cricket, tennis gets a decent look in, with soccer getting about as much attention as hockey and badminton.

Thanks for that, interesting to see local perspective (and correct my misconceptions). So it's not the sport with 3rd highest tv ratings behind cricket and Wrestling then? CNN reckoned it pulled 83 million viewers back in '11, (cricket 120+ million)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

I fcuking hate it more than any other sport. Even most of the spectators are reading newspapers or getting a tan while watching.

UTV "Ireland" (full of British shows) saw fit to show highlights last night.

Rethink not only your priorities but your offensive channel. Thank you.

Cricket is probably the most elegant, cerebral, skillful, competitive, complex, intricately tactical, and varied sport out there.

As such though, it only appeals to those with finer and more sophisticated sporting taste and not to the majority of uncultivated sports fans.

It could be considered in this sense, the polar opposite to Gaelic Football for example.

Yesterday's win by Ireland was an enthralling contest, with twists and turns that few sports can replicate. Sport at its very best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Cricket is probably the most elegant, cerebral, skillful, competitive, complex, intricately tactical, and varied sport out there.

As such though, it only appeals to those with finer and more sophisticated sporting taste and not to the majority of uncultivated sports fans.

It could be considered in this sense, the polar opposite to Gaelic Football for example.

Yesterday's win by Ireland was an enthralling contest, with twists and turns that few sports can replicate. Sport at its very best.

Would agree broadly with this and would cite modern day rugby as another polar opposite to cricket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Would agree broadly with this and would cite modern day rugby as another polar opposite to cricket

Fun Fact: the first rugby international in Ireland - Ireland v England - was played at Leinster Cricket Club ground in Rathmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I too had no understanding of the sport.

That was until I watched this very informative video on the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEH4ahCCrJo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Thanks for that, interesting to see local perspective (and correct my misconceptions). So it's not the sport with 3rd highest tv ratings behind cricket and Wrestling then? CNN reckoned it pulled 83 million viewers back in '11, (cricket 120+ million)

The Premier League and La Liga get viewers in Ten Sport and Sony Six and when the World Cup is on it gets attention.
    But really there's very little interest in football IN India. The league and the national team get no attention at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The begrudgery continues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The Premier League and La Liga get viewers in Ten Sport and Sony Six and when the World Cup is on it gets attention.
    But really there's very little interest in football IN India. The league and the national team get no attention at all.

Last off topic question but while I have you here! Is the Kolkata Derby a big thing in reality or is that just football bloggers looking for something different? Read a few blogs on that game and it's supposedly huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

While we're on the subject OP, what about tea?!? Foisted upon us by our evil English overlords, and stolen from colonised people?

Where's your 'tea bags are foreign and evil! Tea drinkers are west Brits' thread?

Don't even get me started on hipsters drinking IPAs...

:mad:

Last off topic question but while I have you here! Is the Kolkata Derby a big thing in reality or is that just football bloggers looking for something different? Read a few blogs on that game and it's supposedly huge.

To be honest I've no idea.
    I've only been to Kolkata 3 times and each time was for less than a week so I've never been to any sports events there, but football is definitely more popular in some States like West Bengal and Kerala than it is elsewhere and South Asian sports fans tend to get a bit excited whether it be Cricket, Soccer or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I don't like Mondays.

Tell me why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Of course it attracts huge crowds (as many as 130,000 fans) but India has a population of over 1.27billion. The Kolkata is often compared to the old firm derby in Scotland for the sense of rivalry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

endacl wrote: »
    While we're on the subject OP, what about tea?!? Foisted upon us by our evil English overlords, and stolen from colonised people?

Where's your 'tea bags are foreign and evil! Tea drinkers are west Brits' thread?

Don't even get me started on hipsters drinking IPAs...

:mad:

In cricket we stop play for 'tea'. Really is so civilised.
    Which is not the same as stopping play for 'drinks'. But thats only in hot weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I like the Ireland cricket jerseys , they're green just like you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I like the Ireland cricket jerseys , they're green just like you OP.

Ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Working in India, my collogues are a few Indian's, 2 Sri Lankans, 3 South Africans and 2 English people. All of them seem to care about the CWC, I could care less.

Ireland are playing India on Tuesday and they are telling me "oh India have a nice batting practice on Tuesday" or "India will beat Ireland by the highest score of the competition" and so on.

I've just been telling them that Ireland having a circket team at a world cup is like India having a soccer team at a world cup, nobody gives a toss about the sport.

So you do care? :confused::confused:

So you do care? :confused::confused:

ho ho ho.

Don't be that guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Gyalist wrote: »
    The irony is that the counties that are now traditionally strong at hurling are the same counties where the game was most popular.

Can you explain why that is ironic?

Places which have a strong tradition in playing team sports have maintained a strong tradition of playing team sports. Many people who play hurling like myself are also cricket fans. Are you trying to intimate like another thread here that anyone with an interest or involved in GAA is a backward Neanderthal. Can you expand on the irony you are suggesting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,068 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

People who claim they hate cricket because the rules are too hard to understand etc. have never clearly taken more than a cursory glance at it. It's a very straight forward game and very easy to understand. Sure, like any sport, it has its nuances but it certainly ain't rocket science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I hate Test cricket but the short versions of it can be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

namloc1980 wrote: »
    People who claim they hate cricket because the rules are too hard to understand etc. have never clearly taken more than a cursory glance at it. It's a very straight forward game and very easy to understand. Sure, like any sport, it has its nuances but it certainly ain't rocket science.

True, there are many terms (e.g. fielding positions) that make it seem complicated, but the basics are easy enough to understand. People just need to watch a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

GerB40 wrote: »
    Nah I can't stand it either. I'm all for hopping on a bandwagon but I'll let this one pass, cricket just doesn't do it for me. Darts can fúck off too...

Thank you for not...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Gyalist wrote: »
    The irony is that the counties that are now traditionally strong at hurling are the same counties where the game was most popular.

How is that in any way ironic? If anything it makes perfect sense that a stick and ball game was superseded by another stick and ball game.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

Cricket really is the best game - from a fan of pretty much all sports, cricket is the one I dream about, feel a physical ache to play when I've been out of training for a few months (like now) and feel physically sick in the closing overs of a tight game like yesterday. Once you get the bug you never get rid of it and because it has so many variations you can keep playing into your 80s if you wish. Professional cricket is high risk, and highly tactical but so is pretty much every sport at the top levels...like others have said on this thread - I don't diss anyone else's sport, I'd really like it if people could refrain from dissing mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

galljga1 wrote: »
    The spectators?

Why would spectators take performance enhancing drugs?
    To boo louder :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

How is that in any way ironic? If anything it makes perfect sense that a stick and ball game was superseded by another stick and ball game.
    Not exactly superseded. The two games co-existed, with many people being involved in both.

Then the nationalist, and somewhat anti-English, sentiments of the late 19th century arose, and the ban on "foreign" games was imposed by the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Not exactly superseded. The two games co-existed, with many people being involved in both.

Then the nationalist, and somewhat anti-English, sentiments of the late 19th century arose, and the ban on "foreign" games was imposed by the GAA.

True, but still perfectly fitting that a good cricket player would be a good hurler, and vice versa.

• Advertisement

Sports in the sports forums please. Please read their charters before posting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement