Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Center Parcs Experience

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

theyre ruining the reliability of google reviews!

As with trip advisor etc you really need to wade through quite a few reviews to get a good sense of what’s what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Jeju

Fencing? Raft building? This is a holiday resort

It the sport fencing and not the farming activity fencing land

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

flas wrote: »
    Bypass, whatever.

So the by pass, that is a constant flow of traffic with never any traffic jams, you have a problem with that?

The vast majority of traffic to CenterParcs Longford from Dublin will be going either on the M4/M6 to Athlone then N55 to Ballymahon or M4 to Mullingar and then on the dead straight R392 from Mullingar to Ballymahon. From Cork the quickest route would be M8/M7 to Portlaoise, the N80 to Tullamore, N52/R392 to Ballymahon.

Longford is central and very accessible for the whole of the country.

Not much CenterParcs bound traffic will be using the Longford bypass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,193 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Darc19 wrote: »

And likewise, a €500 all inclusive week in Spain would now be my idea of hell, and if offered it free, I'd decline.

To be honest I wouldn't take it if I was paid to go!

Cyrus wrote: »
    To be honest I wouldn't take it if I was paid to go!

To each their own is the thing really, I love a beach holiday but hate eating in the same restaurant every night so wouldn’t go all inclusive except when I went on my honeymoon to Maldives where you really have to, I also enjoy a few days city break and some of the best holidays I’ve had are driving around America. I don’t get the dislike people have for center parks they are a type of holiday that just like other types will suit some and not others. I’d see them as a good idea with the kids for a short break couldn’t see myself doing a full week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

salmocab wrote: »
    To each their own is the thing really.

Not a lot of that around here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭fits

Did I read something about them not allowing the cars to move, except for arrival and departure days?

Cars can’t come into your accommodation except on arrival and departure. The rest of the time it’s in a car park away from the chalets. You can still leave site if you want.

Peatys wrote: »
    Not a lot of that around here :D

Indeed not. I genuinely don’t understand why people are so down on, it is expensive and in high season very expensive but beyond that it seems some just want it to fail for other reasons that I can’t see.
    It’s a good news story for an area that could do with a boost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

meeeeh wrote: »
    In other words exactly the same as most resorts in Spain or wherever.

Which, Kellys? Probably? It's not something I look for in a holiday. All inclusive wouldn't be my bag. Cruises do it.

I don't know of too many activity-based parks across Spain. I know of some in Scandinavia... LaLandia.

France has loads of these campsites/holiday villages you can use as a base as well to see the area. Siblu parks etc...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The local...
    Kayak club
    Bicycle hire
    Horse riding centres
    Airstrip - skydiving and helicopter rides
    Pubs
    Cafes
    Restaurants
    Taxi companies
    Supermarkets
    Fishing gear shop

Will all do well from this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,641 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Darc19 wrote: »
    I don't know how I got pulled into this thread,

But 20 years ago, I'd have taken a sun holiday over center parcs.
    Now after been on enough sun/tourist holidays I prefer a little more nature, relaxation and chilling out. (I'm old 50+)

Currently I would despise any Cruise ship holiday. But in 15 years time, it might be something that I could like.

As for the Ep / Cp link. I'm doing both :)

In ep I have taken a luxury yurt and it's costing €1100 for the four nights (add tickets, food, drinks) - bloody expensive, especially as I have no interest in the main acts, but I reckon it will be worth it.

And likewise, a €500 all inclusive week in Spain would now be my idea of hell, and if offered it free, I'd decline.

EP: Electric Picnic?? You'll love it if your a music fan and a tripped out paradise. ;)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The vast majority of traffic to CenterParcs Longford from Dublin will be going either on the M4/M6 to Athlone then N55 to Ballymahon or M4 to Mullingar and then on the dead straight R392 from Mullingar to Ballymahon. From Cork the quickest route would be M8/M7 to Portlaoise, the N80 to Tullamore, N52/R392 to Ballymahon.

Longford is central and very accessible for the whole of the country.

Not much CenterParcs bound traffic will be using the Longford bypass.

Exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

pwurple wrote: »
    Which, Kellys? Probably? It's not something I look for in a holiday. All inclusive wouldn't be my bag. Cruises do it.

I don't know of too many activity-based parks across Spain. I know of some in Scandinavia... LaLandia.

France has loads of these campsites/holiday villages you can use as a base as well to see the area. Siblu parks etc...

You are shifting the goalposts now. You were talking about food and exploring Ireland and that's what I was responding to. My point was that Italian restaurant with onion rings isn't far removed from the English breakfast in Santa Ponsa.

As I said resorts in general (or cruises) are not my thing so maybe there is a difference I can't see but I very much doubt it's food or cultural authenticity.

Btw I very much get what the attraction of these type of holidays is, they are just not for me. Closest thing I would want to do is probably Legoland or Disneyland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The spin off is already happening, there was an article a couple of months back that said the average 3 bed house in Ballymahon was €100k last year and now investors have purchased loads of houses and its gone up to €140k-€150k.

Would imagine the towns pubs/restaurants will do well out of it too, some residents are bound to take the five minute drive down the road and check it out. Plus at €20 a Thai curry in Centre Parks I'm sure some people will go looking for better value.

I don’t see how investors seeing their property increase in value by 40% is going to result in a spin off for local residents. More likely to price locals out of the market in favor of outside investors.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

For years now, houses in Longford have generally been priced below build cost. That pretty much guarantees no new housing will be built.

That's not a good thing.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    For years now, houses in the Longford have generally been priced below build cost. That pretty much guarantees no new housing will be built.

That's not a good thing.

It’s a good thing for people who want to buy a house.

You are assuming they'll be able to find a house in the complete absence of new builds.

It's not good for a county or its population to have a decade where it's uneconomic to build any new housing other than local authority housing.

You are assuming they'll be able to find a house in the complete absence of new builds.

It's not good for a county or its population to have a decade where it's uneconomic to build any new housing other than local authority housing.

There is no “complete absence of new builds”. That’s hyperbole. Check the county council planning register online.

Check the completions for the county, then check how many of those are local authority housing. Then have a look at what's actually available.

41 total completions in Longford Country for the first quarter. That's a good sign, it's doubled in 12 months.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Just had a look at that if you read the reviews it’s a lot of looking forward to this or else it’s too expensive. The 4 stars are averaged. There are a few lovely place really enjoyed it but they could be just people commenting on the wrong one.

Yeah, it's easy to mix it up with the 0 other locations for Centre Parcs in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Balanadan wrote: »
    Yeah, it's easy to mix it up with the 0 other locations for Centre Parcs in Ireland.

But they do have other sites.

But they do have other sites.

In a different country.

In a different country.

Yes but I’m pretty sure google is in those other countries too. I suggested people probably made a mistake giving their rating to the wrong center park, is that not possible? Do people think center parks are giving themselves good ratings based on a site that’s not yet open?

Yes but I’m pretty sure google is in those other countries too. I suggested people probably made a mistake giving their rating to the wrong center park, is that not possible? Do people think center parks are giving themselves good ratings based on a site that’s not yet open?

59 people who stayed in Centre Parcs in England didn't realise that they were reviewing a Centre Parcs in a different country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

59 people who stayed in Centre Parcs in England didn't realise that they were reviewing a Centre Parcs in a different country?

Goes to show you the sort of people that stay (or say they stay) at Center Parcs :D

Dies it matter? Internet reviews for anything are dopey at the best of times anyway.

Did you read any of the reviews?

There's a good chunk of them saying they can't wait for it to open, another chunk saying it's too expensive, a few more with photos from people who worked on the construction and another from a fella whose review begins "We were in centre Parcs Woburn...."

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

It wouldn't be my idea of a summer family holiday as we all like the heat and sea in our house but if it gives locals some much needed employment then I'm all for it. I could see the appeal of a few nights away though.

You obviously did some great research there and in fact didn’t even manage to read my initial post were I said some were giving out about the price and some were saying they couldn’t wait for it to open. A few were saying they enjoyed it and I suggested that they may have reviewed the wrong park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Scarlet42

I don't know .. I've seen Jurassic Park and Westwood ... these sort of places don't have good reputations....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I used to work in PR and marketing in tourism, you’d be amazed how often that actually happens for attractions with very different names in different continents, never mind two attractions with the same name in two different countries...

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    I don't know .. I've seen Jurassic Park and Westwood ... these sort of places don't have good reputations....

Those are just movies, this is more like the land of the giants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I used to work in PR and marketing in tourism, you’d be amazed how often that actually happens for attractions with very different names in different continents, never mind two attractions with the same name in two different countries...

I use to work in a hotel, and got on first name basis with someone in reservations in a hotel in a different group, in a different country, that had a similar property name, because people turned up with a reservation for them, when they meant to book us. Happened at least once a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I see centre parcs are now in the tesco club card so every €10 tesco voucher you have is worth €40 euro off a center parc holiday.
    I have €50 worth of vouchers which means I currently can get €200 off a holiday in CP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

harr wrote: »
    I see centre parcs are now in the tesco club card so every €10 tesco voucher you have is worth €40 euro off a center parc holiday.
    I have €50 worth of vouchers which means I currently can get €200 off a holiday in CP.

Seems to top out at €40 of vouchers/€160 off but still a nice discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Seems to top out at €40 of vouchers/€160 off but still a nice discount.
    Not a bad discount for a weekend in low season, would make it kind of affordable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Longford with Armed Support Units in battle dress welcoming all those foreign tourists into Centre Parcs Longford.

Probably safer in East Belfast on the 12th than in that place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Longford with Armed Support Units in battle dress welcoming all those foreign tourists into Centre Parcs Longford.

It's like saying having armed Gardai in Finglas will affect visitors to Dundrum

It's like saying having armed Gardai in Finglas will affect visitors to Dundrum

Nothing like it.

• Advertisement

Nothing like it.

Centre Parcs is nowhere near longford town. In fact 23 mins away by car

Finglas is the same time driving from Dundrum

Centre Parcs is nowhere near longford town. In fact 23 mins away by car

Finglas is the same time driving from Dundrum

Well aware of where Ballymahon is. Just that foreign tourists coming to a new multi million tourist attraction in a small rural Irish county are hardly expecting to run into Armed Support Units on the approaches into said county town.

Well aware of where Ballymahon is. Just that foreign tourists coming to a new multi million tourist attraction in a small rural Irish county are hardly expecting to run into Armed Support Units on the approaches into said county town.

Longford and Granard units

They won't be anywhere near Ballymahon

With the greatest of respect...

what are you on about???

Longford and Granard units

They won't be anywhere near Ballymahon[/quote

Its hardly got the land mass of Texas. And unless those tourists are going to be choppered in I reckon they'll quite easily come across them.
    Btw, I welcome this heavy handed approach and I hope AGS nail them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,275 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Could be worse..
    The tourists might stop off in the local pub for a trad session and pints of Guinness and be faced with scantily clad young wans comparing their fánny flutters and pestering them for the shift.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

With the greatest of respect...

what are you on about???
    Traveler families fighting In Longford. They had to bring in gardai armed units.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2019/0619/1056239-longford-armed-patrols/

I don't know Longford well so I don't know which roads are they on but I suspect this nonsense isn't great news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Its hardly got the land mass of Texas. And unless those tourists are going to be choppered in I reckon they'll quite easily come across them.
    Btw, I welcome this heavy handed approach and I hope AGS nail them.

Athlone is closest big town to Ballymahon, also more tourist centre than Longford with some big hotels which Longford doesn't really have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Can't the feuding in Longford be marketed as a package for people interested in Warzone holidays? There seems to be a growing interest in it and perhaps this crowd http://www.hinterlandtravel.com/ could be added to the Center Parcs package?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Bad news for those who are hoping this will fail.

Center parcs have reported that they have taken over 5,000 bookings and now expect that year round occupancy rate in longford will be over 90%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Athlone is closest big town to Ballymahon, also more tourist centre than Longford with some big hotels which Longford doesn't really have.

Actually it’s equidistant!
    In the middle, in the midlands!

• Advertisement
Advertisement