Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Center Parcs Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

meeeeh wrote: »
    Forst two are completely valid reasons, the second two less so. I bet the menu will be the same generic stuff as in any other resort that caters for Irish turists. Similarly I doubt a gated resort with subtropical swimming pool screams Ireland.

It's a welcome addition but it coud be in any country in any location and ot wouldn't be much different. Btw I'm not sure a heated swimming pool under a dome is the most eco friendly way to holiday.

But the fact is it's in Longford and thus is just a car journey away from anyone on the island.

That makes it different.

And that's a huge difference if you travel with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The fact that's in the middle of the country and easily accessible for everyone hopefully means it'll be a success.
    We'll go at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

biko wrote: »
    The fact that's in the middle of the country and easily accessible for everyone hopefully means it'll be a success.
    We'll go at some point.

It'd be handier to fly than do the Longford Ring road at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

But the fact is it's in Longford and thus is just a car journey away from anyone on the island.

That makes it different.

That's not my point. My point is that sniggering about english breakfast in Sata Ponsa is a bit misplaced if you choose to holiday in an identikit holiday village. I have no objection to it but let's not pretend it's more worthy, explores Ireland and irish culture and similar nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

meeeeh wrote: »
    Forst two are completely valid reasons, the second two less so. I bet the menu will be the same generic stuff as in any other resort that caters for Irish turists. Similarly I doubt a gated resort with subtropical swimming pool screams Ireland.

It's a welcome addition but it coud be in any country in any location and ot wouldn't be much different. Btw I'm not sure a heated swimming pool under a dome is the most eco friendly way to holiday.

There's 8 restaurants, Italian, Indian, bar &grill, a takeaway, Irish, and 3 others that I can't think off.

• Advertisement

There's 8 restaurants, Italian, Indian, bar &grill, a takeaway, Irish, and 3 others that I can't think off.

I'm sure there is plenty on offer to eat in. But like airport food for me you eat in a resert because you can't escape to anything better.

I'll admit I don't like resort food and avoid it as much as possible. In fact I don't believe at all kids have only fun on holidays when there is some sort of organised fun included in the package. They can also eat in decent restaurants that aren't aimed at families (another name for bland boring food). Just because something calls itself Italian restaurant it doesn't mean food there will be any good.

Edit: I just checked menu of Italian Restaurant. Onion rings and cesar salad tells me all I need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

That makes it different.

Would much rather put up the "hassle" of flying with kids so we can do things we can't normally do in Ireland; skiing, swimming in the sea for more than 10 mins without wetsuits, going to the beach without sitting in mental traffic jams, reliable sunshine, good food at reasonable price.

Won't be going next or near that place. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Wouldn't take my family here in a fit tbh. I work bloody hard all year and the only thing i ask is two weeks of sun and relaxation not frostbite in Longford.

vargoo wrote: »
    They've gone to the moon with pricing alright, testing to see if theirs enough people out there that will pay...I think their is.

Over 100 activities in there though and they're not your regular fair (lol at all the numpties that have booked and don't know these are all extras, and they are still doing it despite it being said over and over) around €35 per person for a bike, €36 for 90mins for laser combat.

But Kayaking, fencing, raft building, wall climbing, archery.....different bit of crack.

Fencing? Raft building? This is a holiday resort :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I wonder if any of those who are running this place down (a very Irish trait) have ever stayed at a center parcs resort?

I've booked for 1st week of October, 4 nights for two of us and a dog for €320.

Yes we'll add in extras, she'll no doubt go to the spa as she does in other places we go.

We might dine out in the resort just like we'd dine out in a hotel.

We'll check places outside the resort (they don't lock you in) just as we'd check places outside other places we stay in.

It will take us about 90 min max from door to door.

If we compared prices to the similar parcs in UK and France, it's cheaper here by about 20% even in peak times. (a 4 bed lodge in France is over €5k for a week in August)

The UK resorts are not in salubrious tourism areas, yet have 90%+ occupancy year round. A lot of off peak business is corporate get togethers and team building.

But seems many here would love to see this fail. Why such a dislike? Is it because they are extremely successful and people just can't fathom that?

• Advertisement

I have no issues with it. I think it's great something is in a region that doesn't have much tourism. I just think some elevated it to more than it is. I bet Disney Paris is fun but you can't claim that you experienced France just visiting Disneyland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

just looked at a few menus for the longford centre parcs. 20 fcuking euro for a thai green curry.

20 ****ing euro.

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Mr.S wrote:
    Why do people keep comparing it to a cheap 2 week sun holiday? It's hardly the same thing!

People are not comparing the venue, it's the cost of CP versus the cost of a trip elsewhere. Value is the comparison. I priced a week stay in August the price is almost three times the cost of a trip for the same duration to Lake Garda in Italy . Yes the time in the airport is a pain but a small price to pay for almost guaranteed sunshine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

The Peppa Pig kids show has been axed I read? Anyone who can confirm or deny this vicious rumour that's circulating? Plus the stains on the bed sheets from the person who replaced the last ones said it was launderette issue?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

People are not comparing the venue, it's the cost of CP versus the cost of a trip elsewhere. Value is the comparison. I priced a week stay in August the price is almost three times the cost of a trip for the same duration to Lake Garda in Italy . Yes the time in the airport is a pain but a small price to pay for almost guaranteed sunshine.

It's almost as if people have different ideas/ideals/expectations/budgets for their holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Graham wrote:
    It's almost as if people have different ideas/ideals/expectations/budgets for their holidays.

Since this is a discussion forum people are free to give their opinion on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

just looked at a few menus for the longford centre parcs. 20 fcuking euro for a thai green curry.

20 ****ing euro.

No.

And you've been it and experienced it? Or just complaining like so many others who mouth off without a clue of what they are mouthing about.

€20 for prawn and chicken Thai green curry,
    €18.50 for chicken green curry
    €14.95-17.95 for all other styles of curry

€29.95 starter, any main, + drink (wine or beer)

Maybe I dine out in the wrong places, but prices are the same as any half decent Indian restaurant I been in and seems good value to me and a bit cheaper than the UK menu from the same place.

Now that I've seen the menu, I very much look forward to having a meal there in Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭flas

It'd be handier to fly than do the Longford Ring road at times.

What ring road? There is no ring road around the whole town?

flas wrote: »
    What ring road? There is no ring road around the whole town?

Bypass, whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

pwurple wrote: »
    People who don't want to haul toddlers through airports.
    People who want to support their local economy and local jobs.
    People who love Ireland and like getting the break to enjoy it.
    People who aren't into a full English in santa ponza as a holiday.

Last point a good point.

The places the majority of people go to in Spain are complete kips.

What will we do ?

Go to the Irish bar .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Who the hell would pay for all of that when you can get out of this kip into the Mediterranean sun for half the price? Fools

Went to a centre parc in England 2 years ago.
    Went to the Mediterranean sun last year.
    Ask my kids where they would like to go this year and it wont be the Med.

Fool.

Last point a good point.

The places the majority of people go to in Spain are complete kips.

What will we do ?

Go to the Irish bar .

If someone prefers the Irish bar then what's the problem? Some people go on a holiday to relax and enjoy themselves as opposed to sticking #culturejunkie on Instagram and tell Saochra down the bor that the olives were to. die. for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I'm looking forward to giving this a go, probably in 18 months or so when the oldest is 4.5 and will enjoy it more.

It wont be instead of a sun holiday, it'll be as well as. 3-7 days at some point to give us some easy family time with zero need to think about it, research a destination or do any advance prep.

I wouldn't do it instead of our main summer holiday, but as a no hassle additional holiday I'm pretty sure we'll be right on board.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If someone prefers the Irish bar then what's the problem? Some people go on a holiday to relax and enjoy themselves as opposed to sticking #culturejunkie on Instagram and tell Saochra down the bor that the olives were to. die. for.

No problem at all.

I do find it odd that some posters are resolutely convinced the only real holiday option is a week all inclusive in the Med and that's the only standard against which all other holidays are measured.

Just looked at the price list/menus etc.. for this place. You have got to be kidding me it's Longford for christ sake??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I'm looking forward to giving this a go, probably in 18 months or so when the oldest is 4.5 and will enjoy it more.

It wont be instead of a sun holiday, it'll be as well as. 3-7 days at some point to give us some easy family time with zero need to think about it, research a destination or do any advance prep.

I wouldn't do it instead of our main summer holiday, but as a no hassle additional holiday I'm pretty sure we'll be right on board.

This is exactly my thinking on it, I don’t get the hate at all, it’s expensive but for a short break it’s convenient, very convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

We go to med or Portugal most years and yes we stay in the so called kip resorts as some have called them. Would I rather have my full Irish in Longford and pay €20 or sitting outside in Spain enjoying my grub..... Spain any day of the week.
    all-inclusive in Spain for a week €2,500 which we have saved hard for.
    The kids love it and yes it might be tacky in places but the most important thing for me is the kids enjoying it and they love the flying and airport part as well.
    We do rent a car most years and we do take in the culture of what ever country we are in and get out of resorts for a few days. Kids love that as well.

If I was taking a holiday in Ireland which we have done in past ...it certainly wouldn’t be a forest in Longford for me I would prefer to drive the Atlantic way. But people have different Preferences and why should anyone care where someone else goes on holiday.
    A lot of snobbery in this thread at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If you like Weatherspoons food then you'll love this place. It's all frozen and designed for quick turn around when it's busy.

It will close down within 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

RasTa wrote: »
    If you like Weatherspoons food then you'll love this place. It's all frozen and designed for quick turn around when it's busy.

Yeah the ones in England that are open years are struggling along alright. Over 90% occupancy they must be doing something right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

RasTa wrote: »

And being charged €19 for burger 😬 even charging €15.50 ever time you want to use the gym , surely likes of gym should be included same as other hotels or resorts.
    I can see the appeal maybe for a couples weekend away.

Advertisement