Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

jusmeig wrote: »
    Man you got some special edition Ioniq :D
    I have never seen much over 200km.
    On motorway I always drive around 110kph, as i've got completely burned before when doing 120+ on longer spins.
    I don't think I've made a trip in such "warm" weather, maybe that's making the difference.

Due to the speed of the charge on Ionity, on one run I was able to drive 120 - 130kph, and got 23kwh in 28 minutes! Ionity ftw.

It is weather dependent but also not using cruise control and disabling regeneration would improve range on motorway significantly.

When I got to drive Ioniq on longer distance I was suprised that I made 235km between two fast chargers and still had 50km left to reach another charger. I recall that doing 500km in gen1 LEAF was not that easy in one day, but in Ioniq doing 1000km was quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

September1 wrote: »
    It is weather dependent but also not using cruise control and disabling regeneration would improve range on motorway significantly.

I always put the regen on full and use the adaptive cruise control, ill have to try your suggestions to see if there is a noticeable improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,080 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I presume it's because the climate control needs to work a bit harder for a couple of minutes after being off. I've noticed it happen too but only if I have CC on, if it's off the range will be the same as when i got out of the car I'm pretty sure.

Hmm maybe I had the AC on....will check next time

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

highest i've seen on my ioniq was around 255km, normal driving. uasually between 240-250 on the screen after a full charge with this weather , regen normally at 1

• Registered Users Posts: 64,897 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I always put the regen on full and use the adaptive cruise control

Both are brutal on range. As is A/C. 21C is the perfect temperature to keep a lithium battery in and I drove with the window open and A/C off yesterday. I did have adaptive cruise on for most of it, but it was M50, so set it to 108km/h iirc

Charged last night after my wife did another long trip, car showed 238km range this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Man you got some special edition Ioniq :D
    I have never seen much over 200km.
    On motorway I always drive around 110kph, as i've got completely burned before when doing 120+ on longer spins.
    I don't think I've made a trip in such "warm" weather, maybe that's making the difference.

Due to the speed of the charge on Ionity, on one run I was able to drive 120 - 130kph, and got 23kwh in 28 minutes! Ionity ftw.

Not really... ;)

That 66km was my trip yesterday, with 250kg cargo, and I'm no lightweight myself either :D

483124.jpg

The wife then did a late night 95km trip to Wicklow on the M11 so plenty of 120km/h driving there. She doesn't drive below the speed limit either

Any driver can easily get this car up to 300km range on a nice 20C day doing some cross country driving on regional / national roads as long as you are driving mostly a good bit under 100km/h

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Bumped into some Dublin to Cork EV race in Cashel today. Somewhat rushed me through charging, but I thought i'd given myself enough buffer in my range to be content with the remaining drive to Cork. I was only just on the motorway, so my range meter hadn't fully adjusted to the increased consumption, but more importantly, the rain hadn't started! And oh boy was I in for some rain!

Gave myself 128km for the remaining 96km to Cork. With about 35km to go I was down to about 45km range. At 25km distance I was down to 25km range. Found myself the nearest slow(ish) charger I could and said i'd just give it 10 minutes or so just to be sure.
    Kent station! Broken (with a leaf plugged in) and ESB couldn't help. No harm, there's another one just 50 meters away.
    Glanmire road! My card check kept failing. ESB got the door open but it failed to charge my car. Subsequent attempts from ESB, and a reboot, didn't help, and my card kept saying something like "Card check not OK". Infuriatingly, a ZOE pulled up, swiped their card and started charging no bother.
    Off to Copley street. No drama here, it just worked. Gave it 10 minutes and made my way home.

I wouldn't say I had range anxiety, but I certainly had flakey technology anger! Wasting range and about 40 minutes getting to busted/flakey chargers was not fun. In hindsight, I should of risked getting to the fast charger at kinsale road roundabout... or pulled in in Fermoy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I've been in Portugal for the last while, driving a Prius + 2. It is, without doubt over of the worst cars I have ever driven. I have never heard a car engine scream and grown in pain when trying to go up a hill or merge onto a motorway. It's genuinely terrible. My wife commented, regarding the wooful lack of power that "this was what I though the ioniq would be like before you bought it".....
    Also, it's averaged 6.7ltr per 100km in the time I've had it....
    Totally unimpressed. Can't wait to drive the ioniq again

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭OO7FITZY

Folks, seriously thinking about investing in a new EV and up to now was considering the leaf 40 but with the new ionic out soon I am not so sure now. New car will need to do a 170k round trip with 4 adults once a month, with about half each way made up of motorway at 120kph. Which car is best option, leaf 40 or new ioniq? Rest or diving will be town driving
    BTW, Any confirmed launch dates for new ioniq in Ireland ? And if it does launch soon will there be a long lead time for delivery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

OO7FITZY wrote: »
    Folks, seriously thinking about investing in a new EV and up to now was considering the leaf 40 but with the new ionic out soon I am not so sure now. New car will need to do a 170k round trip with 4 adults once a month, with about half each way made up of motorway at 120kph. Which car is best option, leaf 40 or new ioniq? Rest or diving will be town driving
    BTW, Any confirmed launch dates for new ioniq in Ireland ? And if it does launch soon will there be a long lead time for delivery?

170k could be covered by both cars and even existing Ioniq should do this in most of conditions. Ioniq has European standard fast charging port which is slowly becomes advantage over LEAF's Japanese one. It also has better economy so it would give overall a better range. On other hand LEAF is more available and easy to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭this.lad

170k could be covered by both cars and even existing Ioniq should do this in most of conditions. Ioniq has European standard fast charging port which is slowly becomes advantage over LEAF's Japanese one. It also has better economy so it would give overall a better range. On other hand LEAF is more available and easy to buy.

There are plenty of ioniqs around the place right now. I bought one on Friday 😀

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

OO7FITZY wrote: »

170km trip with laden car including 85kms at 120kms/hr in Winter with a Leaf40??

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Having owned my Ioniq for the last 3 months, i'd not be comfortable regularly doing 170km with 4 adults in the car and 50% 120km/h motorway driving, and expecting to not have to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭OO7FITZY

Is fair to say the new ioniq will make the trip?
    Seems to be a better car on the motorway than the leaf 40 from what I have read so far?
    Only problem is I don't know when it will go on sale and what the wait time will be? From memory didn't the original ioniq have crazy lead time when it first launched?

In either car on a very bad day in winter with the car laden, I wouldn't risk it. Particularly not in a Leaf 40. Or I would drive below 120km/h.

The new Ioniq with the 39kWh you will have loads of range left even after the trip, but it's not here yet and we don't know pricing, but likely thousands more than current model. Can't see you getting one for less than 30k on the road. Availability will likely be poor.
    Is it worth spending thousands more for the once or twice a year you will have to drive at 100km/h instead of 120km/h? And that's coming from me, I hate driving below the speed limit on motorways

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Will be taking the car out of my comfort zone for the first time later this week as I'm heading to a wedding in Clare.

Journey to the wedding/hotel is 171km, 83km of which is Motorway.

I can probably get to the hotel without stopping but I'm planning on topping up in Ennis at the rapid charger there to give myself a bit of a cushion. According to the e-cars map the hotel has a charge point and there is also a slow charger at the supervalu in Miltown Malbay for back up.

It will likely be a completely painless experience but I'm still a bit anxious having never had to really rely on the public system before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

No harm giving the hotel a call in advance and let them know you'll be using the charger, ask them to keep it clear of ICE cars etc!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No harm giving the hotel a call in advance and let them know you'll be using the charger, ask them to keep it clear of ICE cars etc!

We're there for two nights anyway so I'm hoping it won't be an issue getting access, I've thrown them an e-mail anyway.

Mickeroo wrote:
    Will be taking the car out of my comfort zone for the first time later this week as I'm heading to a wedding in Clare.

What route are you taking....from and via etc

• Advertisement

What route are you taking....from and via etc

Castlebar to Spanish Point, so will be going via Tuam/Ennis.

Hotel e-mailed me back saying the chargepoint ain't working, good times! If plugshare is anything to go by the chargepoint has been out of commission for at least a year.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Castlebar to Spanish Point, so will be going via Tuam/Ennis.

Hotel e-mailed me back saying the chargepoint ain't working, good times! If plugshare is anything to go by the chargepoint has been out of commission for at least a year.

Have they an external 3 pin socket you can connect up to? Overnight that would do you perfectly fine.

Have they an external 3 pin socket you can connect up to? Overnight that would do you perfectly fine.

If they don't, I'd just request a room right beside the car park. And bring my 25m extension cord :D

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Macker

Riddle me this? Ionic broke down, some back story which may be irrelevant, I had a warning that one tyre was low so I stopped to give it a fill, got back into the car and although it turned on it wouldn't go into drive, AA couldn't do anything so it was towed to the Hyundai garage I bought it from, I won't bore you with the details but it took 2 weeks to fix, anyway since I got it back its 14kw per 100km which was 17 before it broke down, 70% of my commute is motorway, a full charge is now 195km where it was 170km and it now takes 17% of my charge each way to work where it used to take 24%, still waiting on a mechanics report so I don't know what he replaced. Driving a diesel for two weeks was a pain too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Macker wrote: »
    Riddle me this? Ionic broke down, some back story which may be irrelevant, I had a warning that one tyre was low so I stopped to give it a fill, got back into the car and although it turned on it wouldn't go into drive, AA couldn't do anything so it was towed to the Hyundai garage I bought it from, I won't bore you with the details but it took 2 weeks to fix, anyway since I got it back its 14kw per 100km which was 17 before it broke down, 70% of my commute is motorway, a full charge is now 195km where it was 170km and it now takes 17% of my charge each way to work where it used to take 24%, still waiting on a mechanics report so I don't know what he replaced. Driving a diesel for two weeks was a pain too

Well, that's curious. I wonder was I right that all Ioniqs aren't equal in their efficiency, and that there's an underlying problem.

Glad you got it sorted anyway. Please let us know what the fix was, when you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

Well, that's curious. I wonder was I right that all Ioniqs aren't equal in their efficiency, and that there's an underlying problem.

I guess it's more like 2 weeks ago it was still winter in Ireland where now it's summer. We all know efficiency varies with the outside temperature :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Maybe something wrong with the brakes, like one sticking or something.

I would assume it's the weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Macker

KCross wrote: »
    Maybe something wrong with the brakes, like one sticking or something.
    There was a noise from the brake on that side which I mentioned when I was putting it in for its first service last month but they said it was nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There was a noise from the brake on that side which I mentioned when I was putting it in for its first service last month but they said it was nothing

Maybe nothing turned out to be something :)

I seem to remember the Ioniq had a recall for something around brakes? And EVs in general can suffer from lack of brake use so it could be part of it.

The car might have sensed that the brake was stuck and refused to drive. Pure guess.

Let us know what your mechanic report says!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement