Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice: Become a teacher

Options
  • 05-09-2019 1:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭

It really is the best profession.

If I knew back when I was 18 what I know now I'd have done it.

I've spoken to many teachers through friends, dating, colleagues at work who have parents etc. as teachers and it is really a top notch job.

Firstly, nearly all of them in my experience say they love their job. Highly different to what I hear every other profession say.

Secondly, their work is easy. Their knowledge only needs to reach the level of an intelligent 18 year old at best. All this talk of doing lesson plans and homework in the evenings is overstated. They do them once and that's it, maybe a slight review a day before they go back to school.

Homework in evenings? I know they do sometimes maybe 1 or 2 hours in the evening. This is their choice however as primary teachers leave at around 3/half 3. If they stayed their 8.5 hours like the rest of us they wouldn't need to bring it home. Even then, it's only time they are spending. Correcting homework is easy. Go into an office and perform analysis on a material or solution and you'll find you're being paid for time + knowledge/skills.

Secondary teachers have it softer again. No classes during parts of the day at all. Last one I was dating was often finished at 11 on a Friday and was not in until lunchtime on a Thursday. "Meetings" nearly always cancelled.

Lastly I browse facebook and that "voice for teachers" page is public so whenever a friend comments on it the page comes up.

Below is a post from yesterday. One person "exhausted" already after a week back at school.

Most teachers wouldn't survive in the private sector.
    So another school year begins.Exhausted already.Have been teaching a long time but have found last couple of years very difficult.Society has changed so much and our workload with it.So many complex needs,etc at times overwhelming.I know most teachers regardless of school have witnessed this but teaching in DEIS has unique challenges.Just wondering what the burn out rate is like for these teachers.Have taught in other schools and there was always a trade off-less exam pressure versus behavioural issues.However, the challenges are outweighing the benefits these days.Has anyone looked at teacher wellbeing in this area?Would be interested to know.Anonymous please

Didn't even need to mention the holidays.

So if there's any youngster out there deciding what they want to do, do teaching.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Three best things about being a secondary school teacher:

June
    July
    August

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I predict reasonable and balanced discussion on this brand new topic.

Pay is awful. It got worse during the recession and never recovered. My friend started recently enough and he's barely able to make ends meet living in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Edgware wrote: »
    Three best things about being a secondary school teacher:

June
    July
    August

True. It’s brilliant. I’ll only have to do another 7 months (counting Xmas, Easter etc.) or so till I’m off for the summer again. On the old pension scheme. Only ‘on site’ two days a week. Rest of the time I’m off doing outreach stuff.

Teaching rocks. Well, not ‘teaching rocks’. I’d never describe them as rocks, but y’know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

Pay is awful. It got worse during the recession and never recovered. My friend started recently enough and he's barely able to make ends meet living in Dublin.

Define awful?
    38k starting salary on day one seems generous to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

go be a teacher lads, if its a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Paddy223

The pay is poor and there is a certain barrier to what you can make. With some jobs it can be easier to make six figure sums each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

enricoh wrote: »
    Define awful?

Think it’s closer to 31k.

The tide is turning…

Define awful?

Not sure. But my mate is having constant money issues. Can never go out. Measures were put in place during the recession that have yet to lifted so apparently the rate of getting pay increases aren't what they used to be apparently. You really want to be doing it for the love of the job.

Paddy223 wrote: »
    The pay is poor and there is a certain barrier to what you can make. With some jobs it can be easier to make six figure sums each year.

What jobs? Do u get 4 months off with them as well?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Not sure. But my mate is having constant money issues. Can never go out. Measures were put in place during the recession that have yet to lifted so apparently the rate of getting pay increases aren't what they used to be apparently. You really want to be doing it for the love of the job.

That goes for all public sector jobs. I dont think everyone in the public service does it for the love of the job.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/readme/money-spending-diary-ireland-2-4404095-Jan2019/%3famp=1

Heres a 30 year old teacher on 47k, there's plenty of people on half that with 20 days hollyers.
    If thats underpaid, time to get bertie and his benchmarking back!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

The pay seems bad because they’re technically being paid for 9 months work, spread across 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What jobs? Do u get 4 months off with them as well?!

If you actually boil it down to hours of work versus pay it's not bad at all.

Take a 60k private sector worker versus a 38k teacher.

60,000 a year is 5,000 a month, for 12 months.

38,000 a year is 3,166 a month over 12 months, however they're not working 12 months.

Remove the summer holidays and it's 4,222 a month for the 9 months worked.

If you started removing other holidays, like mid term/term breaks, not to mention 2:30pm finishes, it would just go up and up.

Could easily spend the off time doing another job if you really wanted to earn more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Think it’s closer to 31k.

Is it that bad for new starters? I know a few teacher friends and I pretty sure they are on 60k+ with loads of add-on allowances for this & that (e.g. teaching thru Irish). Granted they have 20 years of experience so I guess increments must be decent.

If I have more than 20 teaching hours in a week, I start to lose it. But I'm good at what I do and recommend it to anyone who has an interest.

The notion that it's easy is nonsense. My office job as a hedge fund accountant was easy. My others jobs before that were easy. Being on stage as an actor and dealing with kids is not easy at times. Think about any time you're having one of those bad days and then think about 20+ people looking at you.

To anyone considering it, you could jump over to some other country and teach English for a year and see if it's what you want to do. Many friends of mine have decided to go the full whack having done this, whereas I won't do that. An hour in the classroom feels like three in an office. If your workload is big outside the class as well, it's worse.

Three months off in the summer? Great. I took a year off unpaid to get my head together when it got tough. My biggest thread on this site nearly a decade ago was complaining about teachers. Having done it, I've changed my tune.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Reads OP.
    Checks OP's other posts.
    Puts OP on Ignore List.

Much better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

https://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/pay/salary-scales-and-qualification-allowances/salary-scale-for-teachers-appointed-after-january-2011/

Out of college on 37k?

Go to the private sector and you'd be lucky to get 30k, more likely you'd be getting 25/27k on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Is it that bad for new starters? I know a few teacher friends and I pretty sure they are on 60k+ with loads of add-on allowances for this & that (e.g. teaching thru Irish). Granted they have 20 years of experience so I guess increments must be decent.

No, it’s not bad as a “starting salary”. It’s just not 38k.

I’m not sure they can go much higher than the high 60ks. Maybe if they move into being a principal.

I think that’s the old scales too, the “old guard” were well protected by the unions but the ones qualifying from after, say, 2010 aren’t on those scales and their pension is different.

I’m amazed that newly qualified teachers joined, or haven’t left the unions that basically sacrificed them over their older “pals”. But I guess when the union is your “de facto” HR department you’ve got no choice.

Wouldn’t be a profession I’d like to get into and if it was such an “easy ride” why aren’t the ones on here bleating about how “good the teachers have it” queuing up to join?

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Why not become a teacher AND a politician? Get a sub in for the former, get a nice pension at end of both.

• Advertisement

maccored wrote: »
    go be a teacher lads, if its a great job.

Did you read my post?

I would have if I knew back then what I know now.

Unfortunately you're talking about 100k cost/salary loss for the two years I'd need to take out.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

It really is the best profession.

If I knew back when I was 18 what I know now I'd have done it.

I've spoken to many teachers through friends, dating, colleagues at work who have parents etc. as teachers and it is really a top notch job.

Firstly, nearly all of them in my experience say they love their job. Highly different to what I hear every other profession say.

Secondly, their work is easy. Their knowledge only needs to reach the level of an intelligent 18 year old at best. All this talk of doing lesson plans and homework in the evenings is overstated. They do them once and that's it, maybe a slight review a day before they go back to school.

Homework in evenings? I know they do sometimes maybe 1 or 2 hours in the evening. This is their choice however as primary teachers leave at around 3/half 3. If they stayed their 8.5 hours like the rest of us they wouldn't need to bring it home. Even then, it's only time they are spending. Correcting homework is easy. Go into an office and perform analysis on a material or solution and you'll find you're being paid for time + knowledge/skills.

Secondary teachers have it softer again. No classes during parts of the day at all. Last one I was dating was often finished at 11 on a Friday and was not in until lunchtime on a Thursday. "Meetings" nearly always cancelled.

Lastly I browse facebook and that "voice for teachers" page is public so whenever a friend comments on it the page comes up.

Below is a post from yesterday. One person "exhausted" already after a week back at school.

Most teachers wouldn't survive in the private sector.

Didn't even need to mention the holidays.

So if there's any youngster out there deciding what they want to do, do teaching.

While I don't disagree with the general sentiment of what you're saying; I can't agree with it all.

I wouldn't envy dealing with a classroom full of children / teenagers all day. But that's probably one of the few negatives I can think of about the job.

My view may be slightly skewed by the fact that I know a teacher who went straight from secondary school to college to teaching.... and I genuinely don't think that this person would be able to cope with a job that required them to work until 5.30pm / 6pm on a daily basis.

I think a lot of teachers are out of touch with reality - especially when they go straight from school to college to teaching. They should have 'real-world' experience. How can you teach something to kids when you've never experienced it yourself?

When I was back in school myself, there was a specific teacher from our school who decided to take a few kids into town (Dublin City) to go visit ~something~ and he decided that they would just take a Dublin Bus... he couldn't understand why the bus driver wouldn't accept notes to pay the fare, and that he needed coins. He started arguing with the bus driver over this.

I have also been involved over the years with an organisation that would have a lot of 'training days' for teachers - so I have been around groups of teachers at conferences etc.

The funny thing is that they behave in a way that they would disapprove of if their students behaved in this way (speaking among themselves while there is a speaker addressing the room, sneaking out early, on their phones - basically behaving like school children!).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If you can get a job in a school outside of the major cities it's a sweet number: relatively high wages and lots of time off. If you have to support yourself in a major city though, you'll need a second income (or a partner to share the rent/mortgage with).

As an add-on, if you become a qualified teacher, you can have an easy life in some international school somewhere. You can go to so many countries and get great money. Most of my Irish friends who got qualified do this.

Not many jobs are that transferable all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Did you read my post?

I would have if I knew back then what I know now.

Unfortunately you're talking about 100k cost/salary loss for the two years I'd need to take out.

never too late - sure you'd have a handy job for life then :rolleyes:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/readme/money-spending-diary-ireland-2-4404095-Jan2019/%3famp=1

Heres a 30 year old teacher on 47k, there's plenty of people on half that with 20 days hollyers.
    If thats underpaid, time to get bertie and his benchmarking back!

Remember location doesn't matter with teachers either. She'll be earning 47k if she's working and living in Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

It is a great job, it really is but it is mentally draining. I remember meeting an ex QS who turned to teaching and loved it. He said teaching was tougher as you had to be "always on" whereas in QS you ramped up to a project, got it done, eased off for a week or so and then ramped gradually up again. He said at least in the PS you could disappear for 10 mins for a shìte and gather your thoughts or even for a fag and nobody cared whereas that isn't an option in school. You simply couldn't do it unless you loved it, most people will tolerate a job they don't like, teaching isn't one of those jobs.

I am now teaching in the Middle East and it is a doddle compared with what we are expected to do at home. In Ireland it's the constant barage of paperwork for the sake of paperwork, policy formation, record keeping, planning, portfolios and the feeling of contempt and distrust emanating from the department and inspectors. Woe betide anyone whom doesn't have their paperwork in order. Good teachers live in fear of the cigire and their unannounced inspections meaning we feel like a gazelle waiting to be pounced upon by a lion whereas the bad teachers who are rare nowadays, especially in primary anyway, simply don't care. Good teachers feel like no matter how much we give, it's not enough for the department, and the more we give the more we are expected to do. Accountability is a good thing but it shouldn't be at the cost of people being stressed and under an immense mental pressure.

Added to that is a general contempt felt for teachers by Joe Public. I often hear how easy I have yet in the next breathe it is followed by how they couldn't do it. I don't know of any other profession that is looked down on by so many yet it is as essential as healthcare or policing to a properly functioning society.

I am under no illusion how good we have it but when I do return to Ireland part of me does wonder whether I'll go back to teaching or try something else but finding a job with as good a salary as I have at home will be nigh on impossible. A teaching degree is very narrow, you are trained to do one thing and unless management is your thing the trajectory is non existent. Our perks are fantastic, it can't be denied but sometimes people only see the perks and not what goes on behind the scenes or the realities of what the job actually entails.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Nah couldn't be bothered

Reads OP.
    Checks OP's other posts.
    Puts OP on Ignore List.

Much better.

Good. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It’s only a great job if you genuinely love it. I loved it, and when I stopped loving it no amount money or holidays would have kept me in the job. I’m actually better off in my office job (private sector) now. If I need time off last-minute, or want to work from home or need a longer lunch break, it’s no problem. I don’t need to take work home with me in the evening, and when I’m on holidays, I’m on holidays and not thinking about work.

If you’re passionate about it and don’t mind hard work, it’s a pretty good job.

Advertisement