Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice: Become a teacher

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

mloc123 wrote: »
    Pay is pretty poor, maximum you will ever earn is only 70k?

There is a cap on eventual earning potential, for sure; but teaching pays better than most other jobs that one could get with a humanities degree straight out of college, and it would take a fair few years for the other professions to catch up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

It's the taxes ..the imaginary pension funds so you pay for imaginary things..thats why the pay is woeful. Add in all the kids with additional meeds and no help in the classroom. Do it for a week see how you go..I know because my friends are exhausted. Its different kind of work

The pension isn’t imaginary.

Anyway being a teacher isn’t that easy. It’s on most of the time, in front of the crowd and preparing classes and corrrecting at night.

My parents did it and none of us want to do it.

Anyway being a teacher isn’t that easy. It’s on most of the time, in front of the crowd and preparing classes and corrrecting at night.

I went through a tough personal time a few years ago (well documented on this site), and going into a classroom and having to be "on" was an absolute killer. I was crying out for my old job just so people wouldn't be looking at me for hours every day while seeing my stress and unhappy face that I couldn't hide.

You're an actor basically. You have to pretend non-stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Secondary school teachers work 114 days a year. Not a bad deal if you love your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

It's the taxes ..the imaginary pension funds so you pay for imaginary things..thats why the pay is woeful. Add in all the kids with additional meeds and no help in the classroom. Do it for a week see how you go..I know because my friends are exhausted. Its different kind of work

Simple to the people that want to do it do it. To the people that dont want to , dont do it. There are millions of career choices why choose one you dont like.. continue to do it and give poor education to the next generation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

El Tarangu wrote: »
    There is a cap on eventual earning potential, for sure; but teaching pays better than most other jobs that one could get with a humanities degree straight out of college, and it would take a fair few years for the other professions to catch up.

Plus a two year postgraduate qualification to level 9.

A newly qualified teacher these days has spent at least 5 years (more likely 6] working towards the qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Teaching is a good job, but only if you have interest in education and can get on with kids.
    Don't just do it for the holidays.
    I teach secondary and it is fine, but in no way could I handle primary teaching. Pay and holidays would not make it worthwhile for me.

Don't think teaching is an easy option, if you're not suited you will be miserable

Simple to the people that want to do it do it. To the people that dont want to , dont do it. There are millions of career choices why choose one you dont like.. continue to do it and give poor education to the next generation

Not sure who you are lecturing here but I don’t do it.

Not sure who you are lecturing here but I don’t do it.

Why reply then ? Because you do.

Why reply then ? Because you do.

Do what. I don’t teach.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

kippy wrote: »
    Sure were't we all kids once.

Kids think being an astronaut was a realistic and handy profession.
    Everyone thinks teaching is a handy number yet for some reason, I don't see everyone actually wanting to be a teacher.

Did you even read my OP?

When you're 17 in school no one tells you these things. No one tells you all the holidays and short working hours teachers have.

You don't have any worries or responsibilities in school to think of these things.

As for switching, I have spent the last 6 or 7 years working in private sector building up salary so it would cost 2 years salary, cost of college and then starting from the bottom. You're talking probably a missed earning potential of 300k over the course of a career.

I went through a tough personal time a few years ago (well documented on this site), and going into a classroom and having to be "on" was an absolute killer. I was crying out for my old job just so people wouldn't be looking at me for hours every day while seeing my stress and unhappy face that I couldn't hide.

You're an actor basically. You have to pretend non-stop.

What was your old job?

Again, from my experiences this is not true.

I was in school and teachers regularly left the room for 10 minutes at a time, to go to the printer or toilet or go speak to another teacher, go get some markers etc.

BTW if you're having a tough personal time most private sector jobs would be the same, you're interacting with people etc. I believe you're in IT which is different because many can just work remotely and never have to speak to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Did you even read my OP?

When you're 17 in school no one tells you these things. No one tells you all the holidays and short working hours teachers have.

You don't have any worries or responsibilities in school to think of these things.

As for switching, I have spent the last 6 or 7 years working in private sector building up salary so it would cost 2 years salary, cost of college and then starting from the bottom. You're talking probably a missed earning potential of 300k over the course of a career.

If you deem your current career to be a better option, that says it all really.

If you deem your current career to be a better option, that says it all really.

Being 7 years into it, the monetary loss to switch is too much.

If starting out it's a no contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Where did you think they went when you were off school??

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

endacl wrote: »
    Plus a two year postgraduate qualification to level 9.

A newly qualified teacher these days has spent at least 5 years (more likely 6] working towards the qualification.

Fair enough; teaching still represents a better-paid job, with better conditions, option than most jobs that one would typically get with a MA in a humanities subject.

Do what. I don’t teach.

Read what you wrote.

Where did you think they went when you were off school??

17 year olds don't think of these things. Kids have no worries. Salaries aren't even mentioned in school.

Being 7 years into it, the monetary loss to switch is too much.

If starting out it's a no contest.

Of course it's a contest - people do it all the time.
    Why wouldn't you do it not - if its such a dream job.
    You're talking absolute nonsense.

I'd say you're on far more than the vast majority of teachers 7 years into the job.

Of course it's a contest - people do it all the time.
    Why wouldn't you do it not - if its such a dream job.
    You're talking absolute nonsense.

I'd say you're on far more than the vast majority of teachers 7 years into the job.

I'm on average industrial wage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

17 year olds don't think of these things. Kids have no worries. Salaries aren't even mentioned in school.

Ah here, what sort of cosseted child hasn't started to think about job salaries by 17 years old?

39-40 odd K a year?
    That's a no brainer then, go back teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,100 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Average earnings in industry, incl. overtime and bonuses, is 912.78 pw, or 47,465 pa.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/elcq/earningsandlabourcostsq12019finalq22019preliminaryestimates/

39-40 odd K a year?
    That's a no brainer then, go back teaching.

2 years of no salary plus 8-10k per year probably. Plus missing out on the natural salary progression from my current position.

Geuze wrote: »
    Average earnings in industry, incl. overtime and bonuses, is 912.78 pw, or 47,465 pa.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/elcq/earningsandlabourcostsq12019finalq22019preliminaryestimates/

https://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/pay/salary-scales-and-qualification-allowances/salary-scale-for-teachers-appointed-after-january-2011/

Yes.

Add in the allowances for teachers, supervision money etc and they earn more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

I'm actually going back to college with the intention of teaching English and Business..
    It's a BA in English & Drama as my major with a double minor in Marketing and Management. I've 1 years worth of exemptions from a previous year passed in a business degree, so as far as I'm aware I meet the requirements.
    If not I'll do a course to make up the difference.

It hit me while helping my sister with her English homework that I really want to teach.

It's supposedly anything but easy for newly qualified teachers but it'll be worth it in the end.

MrMiata wrote: »
    I'm actually going back to college with the intention of teaching English and Business..
    It's a BA in English & Drama as my major with a double minor in Marketing and Management. I've 1 years worth of exemptions from a previous year passed in a business degree, so as far as I'm aware I meet the requirements.
    If not I'll do a course to make up the difference.

It hit me while helping my sister with her English homework that I really want to teach.

It's supposedly anything but easy for newly qualified teachers but it'll be worth it in the end.

Another example of teachers thinking they have it hard.

They think other grads don't have a problem getting jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

Another example of teachers thinking they have it hard.

They think other grads don't have a problem getting jobs.

No, I said newly qualified teachers can have a hard time getting jobs, there's no mention of any other career having a hard time finding work.

Teachers can and do have a hard time finding work, that's not to say others don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

What supervision money?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Don't be a teacher if you are just doing it for the "easy" hours and the holidays.

As the child of a teacher, I would say it has it's downfalls, same as any other job.It has great holidays sure, but limited flexibility, especially when you have kids of your own.Personally I prefer the day to day, all year round, flexibility of my own non-teaching job.

But teachers moaning about going back to work after their holidays really annoys me (and my teacher parent, to be fair, never said a word about that.)It's a perk of your job, the rest of the world survives without, 8-12 weeks holidays a year, get on with it.

Advertisement