Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

magma69 wrote: »
    All the racists from the Arbery thread are gone very quiet altogether.

Jaysus, give them a chance, will ya? Nobody's had time to look for the time the victim ran a red light yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Hi, Billy Mays here

Just came back in to confirm I was being sarcastic

Ballso wrote: »
    You're on the internet fantasising about watching the police choking someone you don't like to death. You are the epitome of a scumbag.

Nah. But we'll agree to disagree and I will assume you don't deal with the same kind of people I deal with in day to day life. :)

EDIT: Although I see you're posting on the 'Feral Youths' thread defending the people mentioned in the title of the thread. Tells me all I need to know about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

Nah. But we'll agree to disagree and I will assume you don't deal with the same kind of people I deal with in day to day life. :)

Nah, we won't. I'd say you'd a little boner when you were posting your little murder fantasy there. Scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

That's essentially a public execution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    By giving your dog treats?

Your man seems to have handled a tense situation a little oddly, but what do you expect from a middle-aged bird watcher?
    It takes all sort.

I'm not mad about piling onto your one, or doxxing her, or taking pleasure in her life being destroyed, but I'm happy that that gentleman didn't have his life destroyed by her.

Context is key.

It's a stranger who has just said "I'm going to do what I want and you're not going to like it." before calling over your dog and reaching into a bag.

That's gonna make the most reasonable person think "What the fúck?"

And I'm not saying she's reasonable before anyone accuses me of that.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: @Ballso - don't post in this thread again.

Just seen the full video there now. I'd agree that the Police were way over the top and it did look to me like there was something up there. I can't see any reason why they didn't pick him up and throw him in the Police car straight away? Strikes me as very unusual that they held him down (my presumption was they were waiting for more police to arrive) but the next vehicle to arrive is the Ambulance..?

Seems a bit confusing to me. I doubt the 4 Police officers deliberately set out to kill anyone, but at the same time, there's definitely something unusual about whatever is happening there. What are they (supposed to be) waiting for whilst they have him on the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

A 10 minute clip, which for over 7 minutes of it has a cop with his knee on his neck.. there is no "yeah but what happened before" during the whole clip he was in handcuffs, at the point of getting handcuffs on the threat level has decreased substantially, there's 4 officers in attendance..

Hands handcuffed behind him, face down on the ground. Hes not going to get up out of that, particularily when surrounded by cops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

I think it's remarkable how many endless passes America gets. When there are racist incidents in Eastern European countries - it's over, they are marked and tainted forever as racist countries, and people always have that impression of them at the back of their minds whether they admit it or not.

The US is meanwhile killing black people left right and center, and for all the criticism it gets, that doesn't really change or affect anything. It's not like Irish artists or actors are going to boycott performing in America over its racism. It's not like governments will cut economic deals due to America's racism. It's not like if you meet an American in Ireland, you will automatically assume they are a racist POS unless they prove otherwise - but most people will 100% assume that of Eastern Europeans, whether they admit that or not.

It's insane double-standards and hypocrisy which makes me question how many people truly actually care about the racism in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Odhinn wrote: »
    Hands handcuffed behind him, face down on the ground. Hes not going to get up out of that, particularily when surrounded by cops.

Even if the cop felt the need to keep him pinned down even with his arms handcuffed behind his back, keeping a knee on his shoulder or arm would have kept him down. Didn't need to put and keep his knee on the guy's neck for several minutes.

But according to some here, because they've had personal experiences with bad people in their own life, the guy was therefore scum and the cops are fine to decide to kill them if they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

There is no justification for how those Cops handled the situation. as someone said face down and hands handcuffed behind the back you are not getting up from that and I speak from experience.

Its disgusting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Penn wrote: »
    Even if the cop felt the need to keep him pinned down even with his arms handcuffed behind his back, keeping a knee on his shoulder or arm would have kept him down. Didn't need to put and keep his knee on the guy's neck for several minutes.

But according to some here, because they've had personal experiences with bad people in their own life, the guy was therefore scum and the cops are fine to decide to kill them if they want.

Not only that, didn't watch the video in full and started a sh!t show of a back an forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

He wasn’t just kneeling on his neck, he was swaying back and forth increasing and decreasing the pressure with his body weight. That’s how you slowly suffocate someone, the officer had to have known what he was doing there, it looked intentional?
    Every time the poor man went to take a deep breath he leaned forward again, putting more pressure on his neck so he couldn’t breathe.

It was very interesting to see one of the bystanders was a firewomen and even she was telling them to stop and that he couldn’t breathe and they still wouldn’t listen.
    Too proud for their own good.

They slowly tortured him to death and that shouldn’t go unpunished. I’m delighted to hear they’ve all been fired but hopefully charges will be brought against them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

it might be worth pointing out while righteous indignation is quite reasonably directed at race relations and police brutality in the US, in most of the world outside "the west", there would be no footage, there would be no questions asked and the cops would not be sacked or prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

it might be worth pointing out while righteous indignation is quite reasonably directed at race relations and police brutality in the US, in most of the world outside "the west", there would be no footage, there would be no questions asked and the cops would not be sacked or prosecuted.
    Exactly. I wonder how many "undesirables" are persecuted in the middle east or china like this

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

It’s hard to watch. Everyone could see he was struggling and they refused to listen and just check him. Why couldn’t one check out of the 4/5 cops. There is no defending it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Quotations

Lmao. Good point, well made.....

Killer cop needs to get life without. 3 accomplices need to get 15+ for manslaughter. Civil war is coming back to the US if this stuff is allowed to continue by the authorities.

Being black seems to still be a death sentence in large parts of the US. Shamefully stuff.

It’s hard to watch. Everyone could see he was struggling and they refused to listen and just check him. Why couldn’t one check out of the 4/5 cops. There is no defending it.
    I agree. I couldnt watch the video till the end. Too uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Just seen the full video there now. I'd agree that the Police were way over the top and it did look to me like there was something up there. I can't see any reason why they didn't pick him up and throw him in the Police car straight away? Strikes me as very unusual that they held him down (my presumption was they were waiting for more police to arrive) but the next vehicle to arrive is the Ambulance..?

Seems a bit confusing to me. I doubt the 4 Police officers deliberately set out to kill anyone, but at the same time, there's definitely something unusual about whatever is happening there. What are they (supposed to be) waiting for whilst they have him on the ground?

More police for what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

The only checking I could see was the cop with his knee pressing while watching when the victim was trying to catch a breath and him moving his knee to cut his breathing off. Unbelievable stuff.

Right so on the third attempt I've managed to watch the video.
    I'm struggling to see any justification for the policemans action. I'm normally a person who deplores those screeching in protest, like the alleged first responder woman and the black man with repeated racial slurs towards the asian cop, but I must unfortunately agree with them that the actions were murder and unjustified by any mitigating circumstances. I can see the cops getting some hard time for this.

Man the blacks are gonna riot over this...if you're white and live somewhere like Memphis, now's the time to get out.
    Do you speak for all "the blacks".

Man the blacks are gonna riot over this...if you're white and live somewhere like Memphis, now's the time to get out.

Straight up No.

America is like 12% black

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Quotations

and what would you recommend for the latino's?

Yeah and they mostly live in the big cities.

Think Detroit is like 90% black. It's gonna be like Mogadishu.
    Listen my brother, the white man didn't invent slavery, but he did end it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Don't feed the trolls

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

ELM327 wrote: »
    Right so on the third attempt I've managed to watch the video.
    I'm struggling to see any justification for the policemans action. I'm normally a person who deplores those screeching in protest, like the alleged first responder woman and the black man with repeated racial slurs towards the asian cop, but I must unfortunately agree with them that the actions were murder and unjustified by any mitigating circumstances. I can see the cops getting some hard time for this.

I always try to ask myself is there anything he could have done to warrant this action from the police? Is there anything that could have happened before the video started that would change my mind.

Perhaps if they just witnessed him commit a terrorist act or something along those lines. That is the only reasonable thought I could come up with but they were investigating a forgery.

I'm not shocked at how many people would use to it prove 'america is racist' but what evidence is there for this apart from white cop and black victim, because there are plenty of black cops and white victims too.

I saw this report on CNN with Don Lemon(Hack) who tries to put the word 'racist' into the families mouth. Fair play to them for saying it like it is and ignoring him. You can see the frustration come out in Lemon, he's so desperately trying to get them to say it.

This is abuse of authority plain and simple, unless anyone else has any evidence.

[start 3min49seconds]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

2u2me wrote: »
    I always try to ask myself is there anything he could have done to warrant this action from the police? Is there anything that could have happened before the video started that would change my mind.

Perhaps if they just witnessed him commit a terrorist act or something along those lines. That is the only reasonable thought I could come up with but they were investigating a forgery.

I'm not shocked at how many people would use to it prove 'america is racist' but what evidence is there for this apart from white cop and black victim, because there are plenty of black cops and white victims too.

I saw this report on CNN with Don Lemon(Hack) who tries to put the word 'racist' into the families mouth. Fair play to them for saying it like it is and ignoring him. You can see the frustration come out in Lemon, he's so desperately trying to get them to say it.

This is abuse of authority plain and simple, unless anyone else has any evidence.

[start 3min49seconds]

I don't know what on earth you just watched but that family CLEARLY say it's because he was a black man!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement