Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf shoes??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I don't think I will ever buy spikes again. When the grass is wet they tend to clog up and have no grip.
    Spikeless are easy to clean and provide enough grip in most conditions. Most shoes only last 2 seasons and are usually leaking by the time the spikes are worn out.

Good point.... only slips I've had are in winter on parkland for that reason. But spikeless in rain? I wear pro sl spikeless and I wouldn't dare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I got the skechers go golf elite v.3 during the week. Wore them for the first time this evening for 9 holes. They were okay, not as amazingly comfortable as I hoped they might be. The soles are great, very comfortable indeed but heels were at me and I'd say I would be close to blisters had I played 18. Hopefully they will improve after a few more rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I don't think I will ever buy spikes again. When the grass is wet they tend to clog up and have no grip.
    Spikeless are easy to clean and provide enough grip in most conditions. Most shoes only last 2 seasons and are usually leaking by the time the spikes are worn out.

If your shoes are leaking after 2 years you are buying the wrong waterproof shoes or not treating them properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

In the end went for the skechers go golf pro v3. €90.00 in American golf. They've got spikes, didn't trust the spikeless to give enough grip in the winter on a parkland course. Out in the morning so will see how they go.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

In the end went for the skechers go golf pro v3. €90.00 in American golf. They've got spikes, didn't trust the spikeless to give enough grip in the winter on a parkland course. Out in the morning so will see how they go.

As expected very comfortable, good grip and very stable. Not mad on the design but it's a minor point.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I'll let you know after the weekend. :)

I like the idea of spikeless. Easier to clean and certainly shouldn't matter in the summer. The pros seem to be going that way.
    Well it wasn't the best weather, but the shoes were as good as any for grip. But they are unbelievably comfortable for walking. Like walking on little clouds. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

GreeBo wrote: »
    If your shoes are leaking after 2 years you are buying the wrong waterproof shoes or not treating them properly.

Really?
    I've bought Skechers a couple of years ago and got almost 2 years (~100 rounds) waterproof from them but now tops are coming away from the sole. Might wear them on dry days for a while. Any other brands I've used didn't even last that long.
    As regards not treating them properly, I generally let them dry out naturally in my shed or even outside if it's not raining.I use an air hose to clean them or a brush if that's not working. I don't treat them in any other way - should I?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Really?
    I've bought Skechers a couple of years ago and got almost 2 years (~100 rounds) waterproof from them but now tops are coming away from the sole. Might wear them on dry days for a while. Any other brands I've used didn't even last that long.
    As regards not treating them properly, I generally let them dry out naturally in my shed or even outside if it's not raining.I use an air hose to clean them or a brush if that's not working. I don't treat them in any other way - should I?

You should give them a coat of dubbin or some leather protector.

Really?

If they are not goretex then waterproofness needs to be maintained by the user via some sort of conditioner... just letting then dry naturally isn't enough, you need to replace what is being lost.

If they are separating then either it's because the uppers dried out and cracked or they are just dodgy.

A pair of black leather work shoes wouldn't fall apart after 2 years and they would cost considerably less.

Goretex based shoes for me everytime... then you are just maintaining the outer for aesthetic reasons... the waterproofness is mechanical rather then chemical... if you will.

If they are not goretex then waterproofness needs to be maintained by the user via some sort of conditioner... just letting then dry naturally isn't enough, you need to replace what is being lost.

If they are separating then either it's because the uppers dried out and cracked or they are just dodgy.

A pair of black leather work shoes wouldn't fall apart after 2 years and they would cost considerably less.

Goretex based shoes for me everytime... then you are just maintaining the outer for aesthetic reasons... the waterproofness is mechanical rather then chemical... if you will.
    If it's a leather upper, it depends how it's attached to the sole. Usually stitching and/or glue. Getting wet and not getting fully dry will eventually rot the stitching and undermine the glue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Who make Goretex based shoes, Ecco? Anyone else?

Who make Goretex based shoes, Ecco? Anyone else?

Under armour.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Under armour.

The Spieth 2 looks to be a great winter shoe, but fitting was a bit narrow for me.

I have several pairs of ecco goretex and they are still great, have some 5+ years old and still waterproof.

Its also important to get a well fitting shoe as excess leather will cause creasing that will tear if not very well maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Maybe I'm being fussy but I like golf shoes made by people who make other kinds of shoes too.

Ecco do that. Does anyone else?

First Up wrote: »
    Maybe I'm being fussy but I like golf shoes made by people who make other kinds of shoes too.

Skechers do.

prawnsambo wrote:
    Skechers do.

True - although its only their golf shoes I ever hear about.

Nike adidas puma etc, I'd imagine most do.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

True - although its only their golf shoes I ever hear about.
    Says a chap talking about shoes on a golf forum. :pac: :D

But I certainly don't have a problem with dedicated golf shoe manufacturers or sport shoe manufacturers generally. I would think that Usain Bolt wouldn't be too concerned that his running shoe manufacturer doesn't make dress shoes.

Nike adidas puma etc, I'd imagine most do.

I was thinking of shoes other than sports shoes.

Whats in a name?
    That which we call a shoe, by any other word would smell of feet.

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote:
    Says a chap talking about shoes on a golf forum.

But I certainly don't have a problem with dedicated golf shoe manufacturers or sport shoe manufacturers generally. I would think that Usain Bolt wouldn't be too concerned that his running shoe manufacturer doesn't make dress shoes.

There's a fair bit of science to shoes and feet that can be applied to golf shoes too.

I'm inclined to trust manufacturers with the widest experience, rather than those who treat it as brand extension. (Under Armour for example).

There's a fair bit of science to shoes and feet that can be applied to golf shoes too.

I'm inclined to trust manufacturers with the widest experience, rather than those who treat it as brand extension. (Under Armour for example).
    There's a hell of a lot more science involved in making sports shoes. You're making something that has to stand up to performance levels a normal day shoe would never encounter.

prawnsambo wrote:
    There's a hell of a lot more science involved in making sports shoes. You're making something that has to stand up to performance levels a normal day shoe would never encounter.

I'd with regards to Nike, Brooks or New Balance for example who are in the business a long time. But what do Under Armour claim to know about making golf shoes?

I'd with regards to Nike, Brooks or New Balance for example who are in the business a long time. But what do Under Armour claim to know about making golf shoes?
    Ah yeah, I would be very wary of UA shoes.

Ah yeah, I would be very wary of UA shoes.

They have been around since '96 and making shoes since '06 and are a multi-billion dollar company with several top level, high profile sports stars wearing their footwear (Spieth, Curry, etc) ....I don't think they are on a par with the Dunnes Sizzlers tbf.

They have been around since '96 and making shoes since '06 and are a multi-billion dollar company with several top level, high profile sports stars wearing their footwear (Spieth, Curry, etc) ....I don't think they are on a par with the Dunnes Sizzlers tbf.
    Don't you be casting shade on my Sizzlers. Dunnes have been around a lot longer than UA. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

If it's a leather upper, it depends how it's attached to the sole. Usually stitching and/or glue. Getting wet and not getting fully dry will eventually rot the stitching and undermine the glue.

Interesting comments.
    So, the leaking is because of the top coming away from the sole not because of the top degenerating or cracking. So I doubt if dubbin or polish would have prevented this.
    The top is glued to the sole. As regards a regular shoe not having this problem, I doubt a regular shoe would be regularly worn for 4 hours in wet conditions.
    It's not something that bothers me too much. 100 rounds from shoes which cost me about 100 euros is decent value. After that time they probably need replacing for support reasons anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

I tend to look for the more middle market players. The Nike/Adidas/Puma of the world spend so much on marketing that while the construction is probably solid, I also am aware that 25% of the shoe cost is probably going to Tiger woods or some other athlete/advertising cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭techdiver

golfguy1 wrote: »
    Skechers without a doubt. 2 yr waterproof warranty is an extra bonus. Not overly expensive either

Just on this point. I bought a pair of sketchers just over a year ago and they recently started leaking. I contacted both sketchers and the retailer and now sketchers are not honouring the 2 year warranty! Sketchers UK claim that they never offer the 2 year waterproof warranty in the EU (only 1 year). It's only 2 years in the US!

Very disingenuous if you ask me. Warning to all. I only play once per week if even that and they gave way that quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

techdiver wrote: »
    Just on this point. I bought a pair of sketchers just over a year ago and they recently started leaking. I contacted both sketchers and the retailer and now sketchers are not honouring the 2 year warranty! Sketchers UK claim that they never offer the 2 year waterproof warranty in the EU (only 1 year). It's only 2 years in the US!

Very disingenuous if you ask me. Warning to all. I only play once per week if even that and they gave way that quickly.

I was advised there was a one year warranty at purchase for my sketchers, not 2.

My wife and I both both bought similar shoes around the same time. I take as good care of my own as I think possible, dry them and store them inside but nothing more. My wife likes to keep hers in the car (not my favorite option but I keep my cart in the boot so who am I to complain), and hers have cracked after a year while mine seem perfect.

This doesn't prove anything of course, but proper care sure doesn't seem to hurt.

Advertisement