Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Bard wrote: »
    Okayyy.... Think I'm wrong all you like, but I didn't set him apart from those you mentioned. I said he was "one of the few... (etc.)". So are most of those you mentioned.

Yes, he's a very intelligent and nice guy. Incidentally, it was my suggestion that he could "really cut it with the best of them on the likes of BBC Radio 4" that was in relation to his professionalism. No, I didn't mention the actual word specifically, but I thought it was obvious enough.

Any chance of turning the pedantry level down a notch now? Cheers.

The few? They're practically all of Radio 1's presenters!

Perhaps you could do likewise with the sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

The few? They're practically all of Radio 1's presenters!
    Yeah, I said "Irish presenters", not "Radio 1's presenters". I stand by my words, being the suggestion that only a small proportion of Irish presenters are at that level, and thereby my praise of Moncrieff. :)
    Perhaps you could do likewise with the sarcasm.
    i wasn't being sarcastic. Now, do feel free to find someone else to argue with :)

According to Dictionary.com, sarcasm is: "mocking, contemptuous, or ironic language intended to convey scorn or insult."

Bard wrote: »
    Perfectly aware, thanks.
    Any chance of turning the pedantry level down a notch now? Cheers.
    Now, do free to find someone else to argue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

According to Dictionary.com, sarcasm is: "mocking, contemptuous, or ironic language intended to convey scorn or insult."

Right...

I told you I was already aware of something, I asked you to stop being pedantic and I suggested you find someone else to argue with. None of that was sarcasm.

At least I was trying to stay on-topic. Now go ahead... have the last word if you must... I'm done. :rolleyes:

Back on topic.. I was delighted to see Sean get the Crossfire gig. Sure, it may not be the greatest quiz format in the world but he's a good host and it's good to see him (back) on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Big fan of Seán, not so much this meeting of the minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Sean is the greatest, but I think Johnathan McRea (sp?) does a good job when he steps in.

It's just like an extra long Futureproof, which is no bad thing if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭roll

The Moncrieff show is excellent but I don't know what he was ingesting when he agreed to do the crossfire show-that's pretty bad TV!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Sean is the greatest, but I think Johnathan McRea (sp?) does a good job when he steps in.

Yeah, he's doing a pretty good job, I know it's a bleak thought but if Sean ever leaves the afternoon slot McCrea would be more than capable of taking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Plenty of variety yesterday. Handbags and their contents, nuclear power, and later hair removal down below. Good, in a mad kinda way.

The programme, not the hair removal, ah here forget it!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

Sean Moncrief is brilliant.....Sarky, Witty,Smart, Quick....and funny. Sorry though Sean for some reason TV will never work for you.....i don't know why. But Nil Desperandum , if people are not listening to your radio show...they're not listening to good radio....Even my teenage kids have been converted

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Lapin wrote: »
    And that American woman with the shrill voice he has on every second day plugging her latest book always has me reaching for the dial. She must be the most prolific writer of books on the planet. Some people will have you believe it's a different woman every time but I'm not convinced. ;)

She's on now talking about a tiny house she built.

She took a ten minute break and now she's back on talking about the book she has written about a radical feminist.

This woman is a prolific genius.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ok Lapin, we get it, just stop.

You're as bad as that other lad who always posts the same thing about him saying eh a lot and that he talks to too many Americans

Ok Lapin, we get it, just stop.

You're as bad as that other lad who always posts the same thing about him saying eh a lot and that he talks to too many Americans

No. :mad:

I'm gonna keep posting everytime I hear her.

Just like they do on the Mary O'Rourke thread.

Don't bother anymore, I'll know myself when I hear her.

Can you hear her now?

Just tuned in. What book did she write today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

He has the worst movie reviewer in the histories of both movies and reviewing on Fridays. Don't like the 'movies and booze' slot much at all, in fact. Aside from that, generally an interesting and entertaining listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyvegas22

best show on the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

best show on the radio

Irish radio. Not a high bar to cross...

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

endacl wrote: »
    Irish radio. Not a high bar to cross...

A few years ago i would have agreed and even now you're right to an extent but Sean Moncrief has managed to tap into the Irish Zeitgeist and he's upfront and open. I don't trust anyone in RTE anymore most of the big names are political appointments......Do the research on the biggest TV and Radio shows on RTE and you will see what i mean.
    Sean Moncrief does not come from that tradition and i think he is an honest guy with principles.......Hey if nothing else it's the most interesting Radio show presently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Were they all 'very happy' on Friday's show reviewing all the beers? I thought the conversation got more surreal as the show went on, still, it was a good laugh! I have to confess I got tempted back to the dark side, namely Liveline, for a few days, but copped on to meself pretty quick. As the person who started this thread, I'm hanging the head in shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

By far he has the best show on the Irish airwaves at that time of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

madmaggie wrote: »
    Were they all 'very happy' on Friday's show reviewing all the beers? I thought the conversation got more surreal as the show went on, still, it was a good laugh! I have to confess I got tempted back to the dark side, namely Liveline, for a few days, but copped on to meself pretty quick. As the person who started this thread, I'm hanging the head in shame.

Liveline?I'd rather listen to Fionn Davenport presenting than Liveline!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

Personally I find him grating on the ears, very reputicious and smarmy. His topics and interviews can be interesting but more times than not they are irrelevant and boring. The other day they were cooking and wine tasting on radio and that really sums it up.

There is an element of coolness in saying you like him as there was many years ago in saying you read the "Hot Press". His speaking voice is overrated and the constant Emm's and Ahh's are irritating once you get them in your ear like a worm.

He try's desperately to be funny and fails much of the time and the highlight of the show for me is telling us he's out of time and it's over, as very little of the show is relevant and of interest.

In saying all that he's not the worst out there and he seems to slip under the radar.
    Plus he does way too many interviews with American Novelists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Ha, recently he had an American novelist on and about 30 seconds into the interview the guy abruptly left, saying he had another interview on US radio to do immediately and Moncrieff just went "Oh well, that was some guy who wanted to talk about some book he wrote. After the break, how to write dirty words on your calculator!"

The man is a great presenter. The End was the greatest show of all time in the history of the world and it was because he was on it. His show is usually fun and informative, the half hour with Paulo Tullio is great, but I'd agree about the movies and booze, that really needs to be tightened up, his reviewer needs to care more (I think she said at one stage that she'd never seen the Godfather in its entirety, wtf). At times he can seem pissed off, maybe he needs to have more editorial control.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The interview with the woman who was raped by a ghost today was great radio, most if not all presenters would not go near that kind of stuff.

Dub13 wrote: »
    The interview with the woman who was raped by a ghost today was great radio, most if not all presenters would not go near that kind of stuff.

Ryan Tubridy would. And he'd have been round to the ghost's house - legs or no legs!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Ryan Tubridy would. And he'd have been round to the ghost's house legs or no legs!

I don't listen to Tubridy but I heard David McSavage saying a while ago on some raido show (could have been ray darcy) that Tubridy hates talking about sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

As much as his show is good personally I find him patronising, I remember a few years ago on the movies and booze slot he had a wine critic on, while they were talking he made a remark and swore (he dropped the F-bomb) which made her laugh nervously by the time it was her turn to talk, how radio presenters such as Ray D'Arcy still get away with swearing on air on an afternoon show is beyond me

• Advertisement

I liked the sage advice he gave to the mother who said her son was complaining about her looking at his facebook page :pac:

Advertisement