Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Since everything changed I went back to building a base with a view to starting a marathon plan end of June. It is still my intention even with DCM called off, to be in Marathon shape by then. There is likely to be virtual marathon events or worst case scenario a TT :eek: Either way its going to be a big block of training for the 2021 DCM. PB or bust eh :)

I'm sort of in the same boat. It was supposed to be another year of Ironman training for me, but I've all but given up on triathlon in 2020. After hearing my target Ironman was cancelled, I was hoping I'd be able to get a GFA entry for DCM. With that also called off, it's back to the drawing board once again.

There are about twenty marathons on in Europe on the October bank holiday weekend. Some of them are bound to go ahead. I think it would still be possible to sign up for most of these marathons only a week or two out from race day. By then, you'd have a clearer picture of what flying into and out of Ireland will entail. If you're prepared to go abroad, I think it would make sense to begin a block of marathon training and just play the waiting game to see where you'll end up racing. It's probably what I'm going to end up doing.

But even in the unlikely event that leaving the country isn't an option in October, I still think there will be alternatives to a virtual marathon or a 26 mile TT. I really, really wouldn't fancy finishing off a marathon block with either of those, but I don't think any Irish runner will have to. With the cancellation of DCM, there will be thousands of people now looking for something else to do that weekend. There's a void to fill, and I hope there will be numerous alternative marathons popping up around the country. They won't be anywhere near the scale of Dublin, so I'd hope they could get the go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey Zico, thanks for stopping by :) The plan is to be in shape to do a marathon. If the only options are a quick trip abroad for one then I'll jump on that over a TT. There will be many in a similar situation but as you say, likely that if one marathon opens in some shape or form, many others will follow suit in rapid succession. October could be a real pick'n'mix. Hopefully at least mid to 70% through the plan we will know when to taper and peak.

Monday 25 May
    AM: Yoga with yer wan 22mins "Home" Day 26 +80sec plank and 24 press ups.
    PM: Easy 6.95m @8:44, hr 66.8%
    Strava moving time 1hr, elapsed time 10hrs!! :D:p

The yoga was a fairly sleepy session squeezed between morning meetings. The plank is easy at this point so I'll increase to 90 sec and make it more dynamic switching to either side and raising alternate leg, arm etc.

The run was 2 parts. I headed to Tesco to do the weekly shop before work. Packed it all up and found that I had forgotten my wallet, Ooop! :o I live about a half mile away, so parked up the trolley and ran over the flyover to get it. Back over the flyover to complete 5 minutes tempo with 2 hills that Id finish off later that evening. I breathlessly collected the shopping and drove home. This is why my first mile is 7 mins and the rest are 9 mins

Fast forward 9 hours and a days work and I headed out with much less energy and motivation. A literal plod without venturing too far from home. My legs ached from the weekend and felt I could have done with more cushioning on the shoes. I'm now down to 2 pairs of Beacon 2 for easy runs and they have 870 miles combined on them. So, on the lookout for a new pair of neutral cushioned shoes with a roomy toe box for easy days. Any recommendations? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I recall mentioning them in the past but have you considered hoka?

Pegasus wide version are an option too. And reduced with the Nike30 code.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

There are so many Hoka versions out there - I bought 1 pair and hated them. Most expensive shoe I ever bought (next to the On Clouds) - and both were not suited to me - mainly due to low drop weight.

The Hoka I got was also very firm underfoot - made for Tempos apparently.

I use the Solar boost as my mileage shoe (i'm tipping 13 stone - so appreciate good cushioning in a light shoe) - but I've ordered these for the cushioning (defo not for the not the looks).

• Advertisement

I pulled the trigger on a pair for just €59. How bad. I wore the pegasus 35 for the sub3 last year and all my tempo stuff. Mad how a year later I'm going to use it as an easy shoe. Went for size 11 which is a size up. Black again, not my favourite but I spent €120 on the Peg 35s at the time. Bargain! Thanks :)
    There are so many Hoka versions out there - I bought 1 pair and hated them. Most expensive shoe I ever bought (next to the On Clouds) - and both were not suited to me - mainly due to low drop weight.

The Hoka I got was also very firm underfoot - made for Tempos apparently.

I use the Solar boost as my mileage shoe (i'm tipping 13 stone - so appreciate good cushioning in a light shoe) - but I've ordered these for the cushioning (defo not for the not the looks).
    Holy moly those are ugly shoes :eek: I hear you on a good cushioned shoe. The NB 1080v10 was wonderful for just that purpose out of the box. Like running on clouds. The problem was durability. I went way over at 300 miles. They were more like walking shoes after 200! Very poor for the high price point.

You and I are similar weight. I'm just under 13 and 12 was the lowest I got to at peak shape in my early 30s and 20s. As such your times are perhaps more realistic aspirations vs many of the lighter nippy guys around here ;)

I pulled the trigger on a pair for just €59. How bad. I wore the pegasus 35 for the sub3 last year and all my tempo stuff. Mad how a year later I'm going to use it as an easy shoe. Went for size 11 which is a size up. Black again, not my favourite but I spent €120 on the Peg 35s at the time. Bargain! Thanks

Same here. Pegasus have become an easy shoe for me mostly because I've spoiled my feet wearing adizero, zoomfly etc for sessions.
    Nice one you got sorted.

As an FYI the pegasus 35 turbo are 88 quid (down from 180) with the code.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

I really wish everyone would stop talking about the good deals to be had on shoes at the moment... it's like waving a bottle of JD under the nose of an alco :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

ariana` wrote: »
    I really wish everyone would stop talking about the good deals to be had on shoes at the moment... it's like waving a bottle of JD under the nose of an alco :(

I'm kinda ok with it....it's like waving a crate of Dutch Gold under the nose of a craft beer alco...:pac:

Wednesday 27 May
    AM: Easy 5.05m @8:11, hr 71.1%
    AM: Yoga 27min with Adrienne "Home" Day 27 plus 90sec plank & 26 press ups
    PM: Workout 4x400m off 400m, 4x200m off 200m, 9.39m total, hr max 97.9%

The pre breakfast run was pleasant. Cloudy, cool and calm. I'd have done the workout only I didn't have time. A day off yesterday as Caz had to head out in the evening and I had no interest in running after 10pm. No harm, the legs felt a bit better and I enjoyed this easy short loop. I think I sweated more doing the yoga afterwards!

The workout was a slightly scaled back version of last week, that I enjoyed. The differences this week were cutting the last 4x400 to 200m, doing the workout on the mile TT route and under the baking hot sun! It was also just 3 hours after the morning easy run.

This had me re-thinking the route. The first 400 was grand but the next one is the second 400 of the TT route and it will really pinch. A drag, a tight left corner and a false flat. I had to slow down slightly on the turn as it was midday and didn't wand to clatter into a pedestrian or a parked car! Its a 200m flat stretch before another left hander, a small short drag and then declines into the 3rd 400. If I haven't toasted myself by 800-900m I have a good chance of hitting the target.

With the recoveries it took me around for another loop and the final 400 was on that uphill section again. I was gasping after it. Ok, it was very warm out but still, I couldn't see myself doing another 1200m at that pace. The 200s were short and sharp but too fast. At least it was a bit of a leg stretcher and I have 2 easy days to bounce back for a go at it Saturday morning :)

4x400m w/400m easy jog recovery
    4x200m w/200m easy jog recovery
    Target pace 5:40
    rep#|rep time|avg pace|avg hr|%maxhr
    1|1:21|5:26|161|86.6
    2|1:25|5:42|163|87.6
    3|1:21|5:26|163|87.6
    4|1:24|5:38|166|89.2
    5|0:40|5:22|163|87.6
    6|0:39|5:14|170|90.9
    7|0:38|5:06|171|91.4
    8|0:35|4:42|174|93.0

• Advertisement

Thursday 28 May
    Easy 6.41m @8:23, hr 66.8%

Like AMK spent a bit on 3 new pairs of shoes but all bargains :) The Boston 8 arrived today so looking forward to taking those for a spin this weekend.

I had planned a double but taking my foot off the gas for this week. Definitely carrying some fatigue from 2x 80m weeks. Its still new territory for me. Pleasant run this morning. The first mile was a bit stiff, not usually a great sign. Kept it under 70% effort so nice and easy. On the way out the Condell path, I noticed dandelion seed gathered either side of the path like lines of melting snow. On the way back the wind had kicked them up and it looked like it was snowing on the path. Except the seeds stick to a sweaty face, eyes, mouth etc..

Reducing the volume in an effort to be somewhat fresh for the TT but more because next week is the start of a build to the Marathon plan. 3 weeks of volume and a week down to the start it (whatever it looks like :confused:). Essentially last 3 weeks of base training. Thinking of a 10k TT to kick off the plan.

Friday 29 May
    Easy 9.8m @8:21, hr 67.4%, 1hr22

Woke up feeling rough, like I was on the sauce last night. It was 7am so I figured I just slept passed the alarm and was groggy. An easy run where the numbers all check out fine. 67% max, pace easy and all where I would expect a very easy run to be. However it was a slog. My body felt heavy and drained, legs stiff. Breathing was short and laboured. I felt like I was running against a constant headwind and at 10 min pace. I was rather surprised to see 8:20s on the watch. I had to sit down on the step at home as if I did a tempo run. The sweat was OOnegative proportions. Then Caz handed me my inhaler and some Zirtec and suggested it was probably the pollen. I did do a loop of the local park for the first time in 3 months which was nice.

I saw <80kg on the scale last weekend and vowed not to see 80 again, however the weather is nice and the freezer is full of ice bergers and magnums :o Part of the 4 months discipline for the marathon cycle last year was diet. I plan to improve the habits again over the next few weeks as I finish base phase.

Saturday 30 May
    Boards TT#2 The Mile :) Total 9.88m, TT HR avg 94.1%, max 97.3%

First attempt at a mile TT. Seems mad saying that after thousands of miles, mile reps, mile paces etc. I had no idea what to target. Checked the relative target from the last TT, the 5k. Can't remember what website was recommended here but seems others did likewise. It gave me 5:40 as a relative target. I started doing some 400s workouts recently and this pace was at least doable for those. Coming from a rowing background (20 years ago), I know how tough 6 minutes of effort can be.

I had a horrible run yesterday and recent volume was likely to be a factor but it was just a but of fun in these times. Thank you to Swashbuckler and skyblue46 for arranging it, creating an entertaining thread and well done on 2 smashing times yourselves!

I chose a route across the road. The kids wanted to come out and see. It was not flat but I was hoping to get the drag over 500-900 out of the way and use the downhill to finish. It was also a way to make me respect the distance. My default error is always going off too hard. I knew if I did that I'd be toast by half way. Perfect morning, slight breeze, no excuses. I set off along the Ballinacurra Road. Using a stride 15 secs to get up to speed. Waved to Caz and the kids at the corner.

The first 400m mainly flat to the bus stop. I didn't want to look at the watch but had settled early and knew I wasn't over doing it. I didn't have the bounce up on the toes of fresh legs for that initial stride which was not great. Ideally it would be 85,85,85,85 but I knew the hill in the middle would pinch and so the approach was to push the first 400 a little, hang on for the middle 800 and then push again. At the bus stop in around 82 so that was perfect, albeit already breathing hard and dreading the hill. The next 400m had about 7m elevation and a left hand turn at Punches. My legs felt flat. I had no power on the drag. I just worked but the pace dropped. I had no idea how much but I went over the half way mark in 2:53. 91 :mad: I cursed myself for picked this route. It was flat to the next corner and I tried desperately to quicken the stride and gather myslef.

The third 400m was mostly flat but a 3m ramp straight after the next corner at Fennessys pub felt like a wall. Just when I had started to pick up I turned the corner and slowed again, just a fraction. It was over quick but I knew I was behind. I needed to find something, anything. Caz and the kids were at the bottom of the hill. The corner to that hill on Lifford Ave was 200m to go and I was working as hard as I could. Leaned forward after the corner and willed my legs to turn over fast down the hill. Eyes glazed barely noticed the kids. Turned the last corner onto the main road and sprinted the last 50m on the bus lane. The watch beeped with 5:35. I had clawed it back over the last 400m :) Doubled over gasping, both my calves locked into painful cramp. Dove for the railings of some house with both hands to stretch both calves immediately. It took a minute for the cramps to subside. Hugs for the kids and I trotted off gingerly in the morning sunshine for an hour easy to flush out the legs. They felt a good deal better by the time I sat down outside for a sunny breakfast.

Overall glad its done now. It was hanging over me this week, which was supposed to be a down week. The second half was 10 seconds faster than the first and mostly over the last 400m so I'm mainly happy I didn't go out too hard and finish fading. If anything I left some out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Saturday 30 May
    Boards TT#2 The Mile :) Total 9.88m, TT HR avg 94.1%, max 97.3%

First attempt at a mile TT. Seems mad saying that after thousands of miles, mile reps, mile paces etc. I had no idea what to target. Checked the relative target from the last TT, the 5k. Can't remember what website was recommended here but seems others did likewise. It gave me 5:40 as a relative target. I started doing some 400s workouts recently and this pace was at least doable for those. Coming from a rowing background (20 years ago), I know how tough 6 minutes of effort can be.

I had a horrible run yesterday and recent volume was likely to be a factor but it was just a but of fun in these times. Thank you to Swashbuckler and skyblue46 for arranging it, creating an entertaining thread and well done on 2 smashing times yourselves!

I chose a route across the road. The kids wanted to come out and see. It was not flat but I was hoping to get the drag over 500-900 out of the way and use the downhill to finish. It was also a way to make me respect the distance. My default error is always going off too hard. I knew if I did that I'd be toast by half way. Perfect morning, slight breeze, no excuses. I set off along the Ballinacurra Road. Using a stride 15 secs to get up to speed. Waved to Caz and the kids at the corner.

The first 400m mainly flat to the bus stop. I didn't want to look at the watch but had settled early and knew I wasn't over doing it. I didn't have the bounce up on the toes of fresh legs for that initial stride which was not great. Ideally it would be 85,85,85,85 but I knew the hill in the middle would pinch and so the approach was to push the first 400 a little, hang on for the middle 800 and then push again. At the bus stop in around 82 so that was perfect, albeit already breathing hard and dreading the hill. The next 400m had about 7m elevation and a left hand turn at Punches. My legs felt flat. I had no power on the drag. I just worked but the pace dropped. I had no idea how much but I went over the half way mark in 2:53. 91 :mad: I cursed myself for picked this route. It was flat to the next corner and I tried desperately to quicken the stride and gather myslef.

The third 400m was mostly flat but a 3m ramp straight after the next corner at Fennessys pub felt like a wall. Just when I had started to pick up I turned the corner and slowed again, just a fraction. It was over quick but I knew I was behind. I needed to find something, anything. Caz and the kids were at the bottom of the hill. The corner to that hill on Lifford Ave was 200m to go and I was working as hard as I could. Leaned forward after the corner and willed my legs to turn over fast down the hill. Eyes glazed barely noticed the kids. Turned the last corner onto the main road and sprinted the last 50m on the bus lane. The watch beeped with 5:35. I had clawed it back over the last 400m :) Doubled over gasping, both my calves locked into painful cramp. Dove for the railings of some house with both hands to stretch both calves immediately. It took a minute for the cramps to subside. Hugs for the kids and I trotted off gingerly in the morning sunshine for an hour easy to flush out the legs. They felt a good deal better by the time I sat down outside for a sunny breakfast.

Overall glad its done now. It was hanging over me this week, which was supposed to be a down week. The second half was 10 seconds faster than the first and mostly over the last 400m so I'm mainly happy I didn't go out too hard and finish fading. If anything I left some out there.

Fair play- thats some finish

I laughed at your first paragraph. My wife looked at me sideways when I said I'd never raced a mile. "but you're always running, how have you not raced a mile?"

I was surprised you didn't pick the industrial estate loop. Great run man. You've come off some heavy mileage weeks. Super stuff.

I laughed at your first paragraph. My wife looked at me sideways when I said I'd never raced a mile. "but you're always running, how have you not raced a mile?"

I was surprised you didn't pick the industrial estate loop. Great run man. You've come off some heavy mileage weeks. Super stuff.
    My wife at least understood I was 'racing', eh, myself...

However even she asked afterwards why I did it on a busy road, with hills, and tight turns...?! I actually dont know. I guess I saw a mile as a run around the block. The Industrial Estate loop would have made more sense. Ah well, next one lol

Sunday 31 May
    Long Run 14.1m @7:58, hr 75.9%, 1hr52

It was a later pancake morning today so near midday by the time I got out. Like the rest of the country, Limerick was baking under a hazy high sun. Just as well I intended an easier long run. I ended up running short of 2 hours as I was parched from about mile 8 on. It was a first run for the Boston 8 and the jury is out. They were tight out of the box, a load of lacing but not enough once I had looped the final hole :cool: Very tight on the heel counter initially but that loosened after a few miles. I was glad I sized up as my feet swell in heat and are wide anyway. This probably was not the right shoe today, a hot day on tired legs when I needed more room and more cushion. My feet were not pleased but relieved once I took them off. So not a great first run in them.

Perhaps it was the TT, perhaps just the heat, perhaps a combination of a long week. I felt a bit wiped today and my calves are still tender form the cramps yesterday. A few long overdue days off in June might help to recharge body and mind. Its the last 4 weeks of base, 3 up and 1 week down to the start of a plan. There will be a lot more S&C and Yoga to boot too.

Week Summary: 8hrs 20, 61.58 miles and 1hour on the mat
    May Summary: 43.5 hours 305.7 miles and 2.5 hours Yoga

Sunny Bank hol Monday 1 June
    AM:
    Easy 8.88m @8:19, some strides, hr 69.8%
    PM: YWA 47mins "Home" Day 28 & 29

Wow dead heat at 8am! Lovely quiet run around the usual urban/country loop. The hammers a little tight but felt better after the strides. Lost a few miles pondering the last few weeks of this base block. Also weighing up getting a coach. Whatever way I do June, I'll be starting from a better base than last years marathon cycle. I have 2 milestones in mind over the next 4-5 weeks.

A sub40 10k TT
    A 100 mile week to finish the base block.

I downloaded a new yoga program for June but I need to finish the current one first. Well, I dont need to but I hate not finishing stuff. So 47mins outside on a hot mat under the sun. Not too unlike a Bikram session!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Hey Shotgun.
    Shoe query. I saw your comment on the 1080s and their lack of mileage. Just bought a pair 2 weeks ago (no discount :mad:) as my first neutral extra cushioned shoe and I’ll be p!ssed if they only get 300m .

Interested to see what you go with next. I’ve been ASICS nimbus ( heavy and expensive) and Brooks Glycerin to date but wanted to broaden my horizons. I also have a pair of Saucony Rides ( alcohol induced impulse purchase in a shop!!!) which are as light as the 1080s , damn comfortable and are geared towards distance miles. They’re not quite as cushioned though. I hear good things about the Zoom flys but not sure about the wear factor.

Let me know next purchase. Also will you go Hanson again on next marathon?

No idea why post started with a grumpy emoji. Sorry about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Ferris B wrote: »
    No idea why post started with a grumpy emoji. Sorry about that.

FBOT1 type it for you????

Hey Shotgun.
    Shoe query. I saw your comment on the 1080s and their lack of mileage. Just bought a pair 2 weeks ago (no discount :mad:) as my first neutral extra cushioned shoe and I’ll be p!ssed if they only get 300m .

Interested to see what you go with next. I’ve been ASICS nimbus ( heavy and expensive) and Brooks Glycerin to date but wanted to broaden my horizons. I also have a pair of Saucony Rides ( alcohol induced impulse purchase in a shop!!!) which are as light as the 1080s , damn comfortable and are geared towards distance miles. They’re not quite as cushioned though. I hear good things about the Zoom flys but not sure about the wear factor.

Is weight really an issue on a distance shoe? Anyway I can't remember their weight but if you're thinking outside the box have a look at the Asics Glideride. It's an amazingly comfortable distance shoe. I am hard on runners as I heel strike. It's always very wearing on shoes particularly on the outside of the left heel. I now have 400 miles on my Glideride and they have barely scuffed. They're not cheap, €160, and haven't made it to any of the sales sites yet.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Is weight really an issue on a distance shoe? .

I would think so. When your lifting each foot approx 17,500 times in a marathon every gram matters.

I would think so. When your lifting each foot approx 17,500 times in a marathon every gram matters.

Ah, my bad. I thought you were after a training shoe :o

Hey Shotgun.

Hey Ferris B

Like you I've started to broaden my horizons a little recently.

To answer your Question on the 1080v10. In terms of the use case, I got them for max cushioning and they were excellent for that. First run out of the box felt like running on little clouds. I used exclusively for easy runs up to 1hr30. Never an issue. I went a size up and lots f room for my wide mid foot and fat hobbit toes. It was simply the durability. I've since wondered if maybe 300 miles was ok?

Context: I went through 2 pairs of 1080s (pre fresh foam) and 4 pairs of 880s (pre fresh foam) and got 500-600 miles on each. The 1080s went to 700 but I likely over used them. I then branched out from NB and got a pair of Nike Pegasus last year for tempo. Ran the sub3 in them but my fee were destroyed. Very nice shoe but I was disappointed to only get 260 miles. Again, I was used to getting 500+ from a shoe. The Nikes were an experiment.

After the 880s I went with NB Beacon 2 which have been awesome and my go to daily shoe. Mostly for easy runs but can do strides or a session if you need. I got a second pair and they have 550 and 350 miles on them respectively and not ready to hang up yet. So liking the NBs again I got the 1080s. Expensive but I wanted to try the fresh foam cushioning for days after workouts. They really did the job. At about 200 miles I noticed a lot of wear and by 300 they were done. I did find them a bit heavy compared to the Beacons but them the Beacons are very light for an easy shoe. I even chatted with Michael Ko (You Tuber Kofuzi) about them and he reckons 300 miles was a decent return. I've gone to Adidas adizero line for speedier stuff but I have a pair of Pegasus 36 on the way for easy runs.

I do think I'd still prefer a cushioned shoe for the easiest runs and am half tempted to get another 1080 but will likely try another brand, maybe Hoka.

Perhaps I need to relax my expectation of modern shoes with all their different foams. Like skyblue46 I'm heavy on shoes but not because I heel strike.

1) I'm 80kg
    2) I mid foot strike but sort of glide into it so I drag the heel along
    3) I supinate so I land right on the outside edge of the mid sole
    4) I have wide feet

RE: Hansons - likely yes but with some changes. I'll retain the workouts but overall more easy miles and more frequent LRs. It will really be a balancing act with the fatigue but hoping a better base this time will help recovery etc..

Tuesday 2 June
    AM: Workout: 3m up, 10x400m off 400m, hr 86-93%, 3m down
    PM: Easy 4.39m @8:29, hr 69.3%, 38mins

The first speed workout of the Hansons plan is 12x400. Last year I averaged 88-89 secs per rep. I remember finding it tough and not feeling like sub3 pace was realistic. 4 months later, a different story that was. As the reps got longer, 600s, 800s...1600s etc I found them progressively tougher to hold the pace. The difference this year is I'll likely be starting (based on recent workouts) that session some 8 sec per rep faster. Now, to see if I can hold that pace over progressively longer reps, with recovery staying at 400m will be interesting. Remains to be seen too what MP pace I'll be training at.

Over the last few base weeks I hope to gauge speed,LT and MP effort by heart rate and set the plan from there. Overall this workout was early under an already warm sun. I was working but also recovering well. The last few reps were starting to drain the energy but not surprising. Workouts are tough enough before breakfast.

Later in the afternoon a short few easy miles to flush the legs out. 15.39m for the day. I wore the Boston 8s for this one and pretty sure I'll use them mainly for easy to marathon pace runs. I still need more cushion for easy easy runs.

10x400m w/400m easy jog recovery
    Target pace 5:40
    rep#|rep time|avg pace|%hr
    1|1:22|5:30|86.6
    2|1:22|5:30|85.0
    3|1:22|5:30|85.0
    4|1:19|5:18|86.2
    5|1:20|5:22|87.2
    6|1:19|5:16|87.7
    7|1:21|5:28|89.3
    8|1:22|5:31|88.8
    9|1:24|5:38|88.2
    10|1:20|5:22|88.8

Max effort: 93.3%
    VO2 (Garmin): 58
    New LTHR (Garmin): 6:37/mi 168bpm (90%)

Between the Spotlight last week and setting up the 10/10/10 Board TT this week my "self allotted" Boards time has evaporated, leaving little time to update the log. But if it helps the forum, then all good :) There has been some running :) Oh and thanks to Treviso on healy's log, I entered the Charleville Half Marathon, scheduled for 13 September. The current plan is wave starts with 50 per wave. Interesting to see if it goes ahead.

Wednesday 3 June
    Easy 9.85m @8:07, hr 73.8%, 1hr20

Ooh sudden change in temperature. Quite cool and breezy for some easy miles. Hamstrings a little stiff from the workout on Tuesday so actually took the roller out for once. Since its last use it has been covered in princess stickers.

Thursday 4 June
    Easy 6.35 @7:33, hr 73.3%, 48mins

Just a short easy morning run out and back along the river but felt amazing. A cloudy cool morning and I just ran as I felt. The Boston 8s suddenly felt a bit softer, my stride felt relaxed and I had bags of energy. For the same effort as the previous evening run, I was 30 sec per mile faster. Just one of those runs where you don't want it to end. A 12 hour work day then meant the 2nd run of the day was canned but I didn't mind.

Friday 5 June
    AM: Easy 5.1m @8:18, hr 66.8%
    PM: Workout 3m up, 3x6min LT off 1 min, 3m down

The morning easy miles were grand. My Garmin was low on battery though. I was about to head out without it when I saw Caz's Garmin left charging over night. Borrowed it, ran and had it charged back up to 100% before she even noticed. It was funny later when she exclaimed that she finally hit 10,000 steps this week :D

Without a plan I was plugging away with miles, building volume gradually but sort of lost with workouts. I've been making them up as I go. The club send out a mail every week with a Friday workout and it usually focuses on 5-10k sort of stuff. That'll do. Garmin says my current LT pace is 6:37 and at 168hr which is about right at 90%. The workout plan was 3x6min at 85-90%. Late in the evening by the time I got out into the cold wind.

3x6 minutes LT with 1 min easy recovery
    Target effort 85-90%
    rep#|rep time|avg pace|effort
    1|6:00|6:14|86.6%
    2|6:00|6:08|88.2%
    3|6:00|6:12|89.3%

Really solid workout. I felt good on the first rep, relaxed and settled into the target effort. By rep 2 I could sense I was working but breathing well and still aerobic. The minute recovery was over in a flash before the last rep, Interesting that I felt as I crossed over 90% my breathing started to labour and when I gained control and brought it back under LT it felt so much more manageable. Like I could feel the point at which I started to burn matches. That's the second run this week I've felt really in tune with my body. I have not been as bothered by pace but also interestingly that on both occasions when I was relaxed enough to feel the run and breath, the paces were faster than I expected them to be.

Crap!

Ran 11 miles easy at 67% last night. Tired, heavy, reluctant starting and hamstrings were tight. Id been yawning all day. Miserable first few miles improved once warmed up and finished feeling more alive.

Today completed day 30 of yoga with Adrienne "Home" program. 41mins and good stretch. Out later for the long run. Had intended some M effort stuff. Right hamstring tight behind the knee but otherwise felt great. Decided if it hadn't loosened by the time I was to start the work, I'd just continue to run easy. Unfortunately stepping up onto a curb at mile 3, I felt a sudden small but definite pull behind the knee. F@$k F@$k. Jogged but knew straight away there was no running it off.

It was fine walking and just stiff at a gingerly slow jog. Very annoyed but sure what can you do. Get home and get it on ice. However on the gentle trot down the main road home I had an urgent nature call. Overhydrated! I was a mile from home, normally not an issue but I was soon desperately stuck. Nowhere to go, not even a tree out of sight. No choice, leaned against a tree to feign a stretch and waited for nature to do its thing, right beside a main road with cars at the lights and dog walkers passing by. Utterly mortifying. Thankfully I wore black short. Hobbled the last bit home, annoyed, embarrassed and rather fed up. What a disaster of a run!

****e. Do you have access to a physio yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sympathising with the injury and chuckling at the resourcefulness of the ‘relief’. Definitely a cyclist! Fair play.

Advertisement