Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Interested in what you posted last week about your days of chasing times are over since the sub 3 was ticked off. I figure going on a photo I’ve seen you’re roughly my age(maybe being kind or unkind to one of us there), from my perspective I’ve a good 10-12 years hopefully to chase PB’s/times before I slow.

Are you saying you’re now just in it for the fitness, and the thrill of chasing that sub 18(sub 19 ticked) doesn’t in the slightest whet your appetite?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good question B. So, on top of the clean sweep of Boards awards you'll undoubtedly get for 2020, you see yourself as one of the Forum Calender images too eh ;):D

I'm your default A type. I've chased times and put mountains of work in to come up short and not appreciate the journey I took. It was ok when I was really racing to win and was beaten by a better team or person. I've had a few bumpy years to put these time based "achievements" into the real perspective of what life is about.

However not only am I now, at last, dedicated to running. I'm dedicated to showing my 30 year old self what I could have done with the right focus and approach, for as long as I can still progress :) Appetite very much whetted!

So I'll spit out numbers currently in my head.
    Sub19 done WOOP! Sub18 will be a lifetime PB and new territory

Next milestones. Sub40 10k (my initial goal on my first log on this forum 12 years ago!!). Then Sub39. Then Sub38 will be a lifetime PB and new territory

I'm not, not looking at the numbers. Just not pinning my hat on them. My mantra has changed. I'll do a block of 10k biased training and run a 10k. I'll give it whatever I have on the day based on what is in the tank. If I have the training done and I give it my best, I cannot be disappointed. Satisfied or motivated but not disappointed. This may mean revising goals up or down as training progresses or regresses to ensure the are realistic and a stretch of where I am any given day. So I'll no longer start with an arbitrary time goal but use actual training or performance indicators to set the next target.

Next benchmark on this journey up is sub40 10k

I started mainly focused on sub 3 at Dublin and anything better than my current pb a bonus. En route the shorter distance path looked like sub20 5k, sub19 5k, sub40 10k, sub39 10k, sub18 5k, sub38 10k or as far through that path as I could get before I entered a marathon cycle.

The first 8 weeks of the Hansons Marathon Plan (that I'll use again) focuses on the speed work so I'd envisage being in shape to have a go at sub18 and sub38 then if I can build the base and shape to do so. Shape = PB fitness

In summary the next marathon cycle would have me in the ballpark of at best, lifetime 5k, 10k, half marathon and marathon PBs :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Good question B. So, on top of the clean sweep of Boards awards you'll undoubtedly get for 2020, you see yourself as one of the Forum Calender images too eh ;):D

I'm your default A type. I've chased times and put mountains of work in to come up short and not appreciate the journey I took. It was ok when I was really racing to win and was beaten by a better team or person. I've had a few bumpy years to put these time based "achievements" into the real perspective of what life is about.

However not only am I now, at last, dedicated to running. I'm dedicated to showing my 30 year old self what I could have done with the right focus and approach, for as long as I can still progress :) Appetite very much whetted!

So I'll spit out numbers currently in my head.
    Sub19 done WOOP! Sub18 will be a lifetime PB and new territory

Next milestones. Sub40 10k (my initial goal on my first log on this forum 12 years ago!!). Then Sub39. Then Sub38 will be a lifetime PB and new territory

I'm not, not looking at the numbers. Just not pinning my hat on them. My mantra has changed. I'll do a block of 10k biased training and run a 10k. I'll give it whatever I have on the day based on what is in the tank. If I have the training done and I give it my best, I cannot be disappointed. Satisfied or motivated but not disappointed. This may mean revising goals up or down as training progresses or regresses to ensure the are realistic and a stretch of where I am any given day. So I'll no longer start with an arbitrary time goal but use actual training or performance indicators to set the next target.

Next benchmark on this journey up is sub40 10k

I started mainly focused on sub 3 at Dublin and anything better than my current pb a bonus. En route the shorter distance path looked like sub20 5k, sub19 5k, sub40 10k, sub39 10k, sub18 5k, sub38 10k or as far through that path as I could get before I entered a marathon cycle.

The first 8 weeks of the Hansons Marathon Plan (that I'll use again) focuses on the speed work so I'd envisage being in shape to have a go at sub18 and sub38 then if I can build the base and shape to do so. Shape = PB fitness

In summary the next marathon cycle would have me in the ballpark of at best, lifetime 5k, 10k, half marathon and marathon PBs :cool:

First, I may win a few awards here & there on Boards, Mr November I’ll NEVER be!!!

Great answer and a it’s a way of looking at things I’d never think of. Suppose that’s why I have affection for the place, we’re all different, we do things differently than each other but we all chase that one goal regardless of how we go about it, and that’s consistent improvement for however long we’re able to.

Ya still never mentioned how old you are........

Updating a day behind.Just been that kind of week. Oh, and B, I'm 42 :)

Wednesday 29 Apr
    Easy 10m @8:24
    27 mins Yoga

Nearly didn't get a run done. Was out for a few laps with the kids on scooters, they are getting fast enough to have to run steady to keep up. Caz was off and with us so I left them and did a few easy miles. My watch was syncing Spotify back home for a late run but happy to just get it done during the day.

Thursday 30 Apr
    CV Session: 3x4mins off 90s, 3min Easy, 4x2mins off 90s
    Overall 12.42m, 1hr33

Long Long day alone with the kids and serious work pressure. By the time Caz got in from work I was drained. Between work and the kids I had been snacking on rubbish and not drinking enough water. I knew I should have run early morning but we have been up late watching Tiger King the last few nights and I was glued to the pillow. I don't watch much Netflix but its completely bonkers :eek::confused: Anyway, I felt more like sleeping than running.

With the kids winding down I got the gear on, mega reluctantly. The setting sun was squashed between dark low hanging clouds and the urban horizon like a torch shining under a quilt. Spectatcular enough for people ignoring social distancing to stop and take selfies :rolleyes: I meandered around the usual suburban loop to warm up feeling the odd raindrop on my nose. With the light fading fast, the sky was as indecisive about showering the world below as I was about a session so late. My digestive system was also raising a white flag.

Ignoring it all I hit the button to get on with it. CV or Critical Velocity is something I personally should enjoy. I'm a fan of sweet spot training. It was bang for buck training during my triathlon days when time was of the essence. Its the effort you can hold for 30-35mins. Or approx 10secs added to a recent 5k. My target pace was 6:15 with a give or take 5sec range. I hit the mark for the reps but it was all over the place..

Rep 1: 4mins @6:17
    Rep 2: 4mins @6:17
    Rep 3: 4mins @6:15
    Rep 4: 2mins @6:14
    Rep 5: 2mins @6:14
    Rep 6: 2mins @6:11
    Rep 7: 2mins @6:10

The 90 secs was enough to recover for the next rep. However, I generally started too hard outside the range. Then settled too much, slowing down out the other side of the range, before working harder than I should to get it back. I applied a little more control to the 2 min reps. The other factor was from the 3rd 4 min rep I was fighting a stitch and gulping air on the recoveries to allevite it. I had been looking forward to this session at the start of the week, didn't want to know about it earlier in the day but overall happy to complete it. The Garmin raised my V02 to 59 and dropped my LT heart rate from 170 to 169 for the same LT pace. It clearly felt better about the session than I did :rolleyes: I ran in and out of town for a cool down witnessing 2 separate bonfires on Hyde Road and a group of 14 young teenagers in black hoodies up to no good, muppets :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

However, I generally started too hard outside the range. Then settled too much, slowing down out the other side of the range, before working harder than I should to get it back.

You just described how all my speed session reps go :D

Fair play for getting out and getting it done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Treviso wrote: »
    You just described how all my speed session reps go :D

Fair play for getting out and getting it done.

And mine :D

Fri 1 May
    Day Off!

Another draining raining difficult day on a big work week. Both the kids and I climbing the walls by its end. Then a family zoom quiz in the evening kyboshed any thoughts of a run. Instead 10 hours sleep! :D

Sat 2 May
    10.7m @8:01 inc 1x90s hill and 6x15s hill sprints, 1hr25
    Yoga 31mins Day 19 "Home" with Adrienne

Lovely day, loads of bouncy energy with all the sleep. The first half mile was with the kids. They wanted to go for a run with me. My youngest made a sprint for the line after 800m and his big sister took off after him. Unfortunately in the excitement she clipped his heel and sent him into a swim dive into tarmac, grazing both his forearms, ouch! Poor thing :o

Happy out running today with fresh legs and in the knowledge that its just 2 more days in this urban running bubble. 5km brings almost all of my usual routes back into play. The run was grand apart from having to re-sync my headphones after a mile :rolleyes: Kept it easy until I got to the steep flyover I had selected for some hill sprints. I did the whole drag leading up to it initially and it was near 2 minutes. My heart rate hit 180 and not a hope I was repping that! Instead I picked a short 12% ramp in the middle that took 15 seconds at a serious arm pumping effort, and repeated it 6 times. It was over quickly but took a while for the body to rid itself of lactic acid in the warmth of the cool down.

Good yoga session later, although I still cannot do the crow or struggle to hold it. I damaged some tendon between my thumb and wrist on my right hand a few weeks ago and its still giving me grief :(

Sun 3 May
    Long Run 16.01m @7:37 inc 3x15min @MP, hr147/181! 2hr02

Legs are banjaxed. Twice in as many days I have hit the same max heart rate as the end of the TT last week :cool: The legs were still smarting from the hill sprints yesterday. As such, after a nice day with the family and a full Irish for brunch, I wasn't sure about the intended session. Quads, calves and hips felt wooden on the first few miles. I hit the lap button anyway and got on with it. The first rep encountered a long drag out of Dooradoyle and I refused to back off. Over the target 155-165hr zone to a max 181 in a bid to bag a first Strava segment CR. Got it by 2 seconds :D Thankfully caught my breath back down the other side of the same hill. A glance at the watch and still 7 minutes to go. These reps were going to take a little grit.

Rep 1: 15mins @6:41
    Rep 2: 15mins @6:43
    Rep 3: 15mins @6:40

On the 5 minutes easy I barely just got my heart rate back down to zone 2. Despite feeling ok aerobically, the legs were hurting. Rep 2 along Hyde Road and down town was actually decent. I had to pause once at lights in town but finished it out. Problem, I was dizzy. Not good for me, I suffer from vertigo. Just a result of the combination of breathing hard, being fixated in a zone and body temp roasting. I immediately resigned to jogging or walking home while I stretched my calves and took deep breaths.

Once I regained composure and relaxed breathing I jogged out the 5 minutes and felt much better so I clicked up 2 gears and into the last rep. Despite my legs screaming at me it was pretty solid out the Dock Road. With 2 mins to go something caught my eye so I paused to stoop and pick it up. Probably shouldn't have, just a luminous yellow golf ball. However it had the word "marathon" on it and I found it symbolic of the fact that GLR ought to have been today. Made sure to clean it and my hands first thing in the door.

Total 72.54 miles in 9hrs41 this week plus 1hr28 on the yoga mat. I am pleased to get both planned workouts done but need the next 2 easy days and some foam rolling.

Mon May the 4th be with you
    Recovery 8.06m @9:02, hr 126, 1hr12

Lazy BBQ family day. I figured the legs would need to wake up but they felt dead. I went back to look at the Saturday hill sprints. Just 15secs each after a 60sec 5 minute pace uphill warm up. However the pace was under 4 min for them, on a 12% gradient, so proper sprints. 45mins of MP tempo yesterday and no wonder I felt like Bambi stumbling up the road. Gorgeous sunny evening. I got to one of the 2km 'edges' and could see far up the country road. Knowing I would be allowed to run between the ditches tomorrow distracted me enough to straighten up and find a rhythm. It worked. A few more miles of better running form and mood ensued and I felt much better for it. Really looking forward to stepping out of this bubble tomorrow..

Tue 5 May
    Easy 12.33m @8:06 with 6x15s tired strides, hr 137, 1hr39

Looking at the trees swaying in the wind out there now I, a days work has passed and I'm glad I got this done early. They may take away our lives, but they'll never take our freedom! Glorious morning to break out of the bubble. I wasn't out early enough to avoid the odd speeding van but early enough to take in the wind in the trees, the fresh smell of the fields and the birds still chirping. The trees had changed colour and blossomed fantastically since I last ran by. No grey curbs or pavements, no trip hazards, no dodging handholding pedestrians. Free it felt :)

If only the body was as fresh as the environment. It took a few miles to warm up in that cool wind and get some sort of turnover. I went through the strides reluctantly and with the effort recognised... DOMS :rolleyes: Hardly had the energy or looseness to execute good form but did my best. Getting it done early meant the next workout is a good 48 hours away.

• Advertisement

Fri 8 May
    Workout: 2x5min CV off 90s, 3min Easy, 5x2min CV off 90s, 3x2min hard off 90s
    13.6m all in on a smashing sunny morning
    :)

Some hurt early this morning to snap me out of a fog. I should have listened to the body last week. I toned down the workouts following a deep TT effort but I was pretty fatigued and pushing through. On top of that a launch week at work meant long hours and late nights. I fell into the darker routine of late to bed, poor sleep, can't get up, run on my mind all day, eating rubbish and labouring through it late in the fading evening. Needless added guilt about not giving the kids the attention they wanted when the rain put the garden and trampoline out of bounds, displacing the joy of baking bread together instead :rolleyes: I was burning matches, the walls were closing in and the body started to feel run down. Overreaching is the usual step so I took yesterday off and reset.

I need to be in a morning routine predominantly. Its just overall healthier for my schedule and energy for running these days. So back to the dawn chorus alarm and just get it done! The nice thing about WFH is no commute. So instead of plodding through a horrible stiff first mile half asleep, I do 5-15mins activation drills to wake the body up. The warm up was an enjoyable loop of town up and down the quays. The swans gliding peacefully across the still river reflecting the rising sun. I slowed down to take in the lines and curves of "old Limerick", my favourite part of town. Once the workout kicked in though I noticed little else.

A CV workout with reps off 90 secs and with the last few reps hard, if I had the energy.
    Actual Reps

Rep 1: 5min @6:06 off 90 sec
    Rep 2: 5min @6:13 (then 3min easy)
    Rep 3: 2min @6:07 (all off 90 sec)
    Rep 4: 2min @6:12
    Rep 5: 2min @6:12
    Rep 6: 2min @6:07
    Rep 7: 2min @6:08
    Rep 8: 2min @5:51
    Rep 9: 2min @5:43
    Rep10: 2min @5:40

The first rep was a shock to the body and overall ran it too hard. I paced the next one more evenly. The effort still feels just a bit over "sweet spot" but I'll get there. The first 5x2 min reps were tough but I tried to keep the effort more even which meant I wasn't clinging on to the last 30 secs of each.

The final 3 reps were a different matter. Go hard and hang on. They really hurt. Particularly the second last one. I went off pretty hard and really faded before pushing again at the end. As such the recovery was eaten up in no time gasping for air. The final rep was just about giving it the last push. I was out on my feet for a finish and was not exactly inspired about being able to hold that pace for another 3 and a half minutes :( Feck this mile lark! Overall a good workout first thing in the morning, very satisfying breakfast knowing its going straight to aching muscles :) I'll get back on the Yoga mat later to connect the body and mind in now.

Sat 9 May
    Easy 10.77m @7:50
    And some Yoga, 23 mins with Adrienne, "Home" day 20

Mentally, physically much better. Simple change to the morning. Eating a bigger breakfast. Drinking lots during the day. Mucking about with the kids in the sun. Looking forward to the long run tomorrow.

This morning was base. Vanilla miles as they are known around here. I had planned hill reps but instead I surged and timed each hill on the route to plan 30 or 60sec reps. Last week I really attacked reps of a short steep ramp and paid for it for days. I also measured the likely mile TT route. It gains and loses 30ft for net zero elevation and finishes at a STOP sign.

7 weeks to the start of the DCM/Marathon TT plan.

Sun 10 May
    Abandoned LR after 2 miles.

I knew something was up, felt nauseous and dizzy. Something I'd have pushed through before but I've learned the hard way. Binned the intended session and walked home. Serc, electrolytes, sleep and hoping to wake up without the world spinning :o

Drew a line under the week at 55 miles and 1 decent workout. Just one Yoga session so I need to do better than that. Started doing more activation exercises before runs which helps too.

Mon 11 May
    Easy 11.48m @7:51 inc 6x15s strides, hr 133, 1hr30
    Yoga with Adrienne "Home" Day 21, 26mins

Up with the birds, coffee and some balance exercises included in the activation sequence. Didn't fall over :D Ran the intended loop backwards to come back into the rising sun. Very pleasant mainly countryside run and legs full of energy despite shoes hitting 500 miles (NB Beacon 2 still good). It was beautifully baltic though and what I hadn't factored in finishing towards the early sun, was the biting cold headwind for the strides. The strides up on the toes were energetic with no cumulative fatigue. Amazing how much the body appreciates a day off and a good sleep.

Tue 13 May
    Workout: 8x400m off 400m, 11.44m, hr max 179

6 weeks to an actual plan where workouts will feature more regularly. I wanted to get into the rhythm of that plan without smashing myself too early. This meant embracing some speed work.

I arose with the birds, outside onto the decking and could see my breath. It was bloody freezing, in the middle of May! Went through the activation exercises but as I stepped back inside the kids greeted me. Oh well, lively breakfast with the tots and logged into 2hrs of exhilarating budget meetings to start the day :rolleyes: I thought I had a window mid afternoon but it was swallowed up. Long day again and by 7pm I was putting on my shoes, again.

Lovely balmy evening for a run, sunny with a bit of a breeze. I wondered how the energy would be. Just a half mile into it my laces were whipping my ankles. Second time wearing the Adizero 4. Lovely shoe but I hadn't laced them up properl :o. Did the eyelet loops and tightened up and set off again. 30 mins warm up and bouncing off the road, felt great :) So many walkers, joggers, dogs, bikes, footballs out in suburbia and most really complying with social distancing responsibly.

I headed to the local industrial estate for the workout. Got stuck in and tried not to push too early. 1:21 first rep, faster than planned but usually the case with the first rep. Unsure how to pace them. The recovery was easy running pace. The plan will have 400m recoveries so I went with that. The session went well, I even enjoyed it, into the cave without maxing out. The shoes were marvelous for the speedy stuff and forgiving on the slow stuff. With the work done I felt surprisingly good on the easy run home.

8x400m w/400m recovery
    Target pace 5:40
    rep#|rep time|avg pace|avg hr
    1|1:23|5:34|167
    2|1:21|5:26|168
    3|1:24|5:38|171
    4|1:21|5:26|171
    5|1:26|5:46|170
    6|1:23|5:34|170
    7|1:22|5:30|171
    8|1:20|5:22|173

Wed 13 May
    Easy 7.03m @8:53, hr 129, 1hr02
    Yoga with Adrienne 32mins "Home" day 22

Updating a day behind again. Work and life busy so might need to update every odd day. Weekly updates are too ominous and my memory isn't great. My mind tends to wonder off during runs and occasionally on days where I have run before dawn, I actually forgot I had run that day. My hand written journal is not great for detail as its more pictures than words :pac:

Lovely evening sun by the time I got out. I failed to notice the long shadows heading into the countryside and subsequently spent most of the run in peaceful cool shade :rolleyes: Looking at the sunshine through the window now and looking forward to getting out later.

Yoga afterwards - kids were in bed - bliss.

Thu 14 May
    Easy 10.1m @8:07

As I mentioned in KSU's log, I often find it hard to get motivated to run in the later evening, especially after WFH with the kids. The latest excited emergency while on a work meeting is the kids finding an injured wren in the trampoline. Not sure the bird was enthused about being bounced around it nor were the kids enthused about the amount of poop he decorated it with. Quick rescue of the petrified little thing, clean and back to work, until all need feeding, again. Caz arrives home around 7pm and I can hardly drop the kids on her and leg it. Its not easy.

So, yesterday's planned workout turned into a reluctant watchless plod around the block for 8 boring laps, lost in thought about how best to structure the routine in this new, no childcare, normal. Zoe's maths schoolwork earlier had had burned any concentration I had left, so I struggled to come up with a solution. Thursdays are mental and perhaps better suited to an easy day than a session. At least if I get a short easy done in the morning its no loss if the evening runs away from me. If ever there were a thing called junk miles, this was it. No purpose. Just run around the block. Every time I passed my door I had to convince myself not to bail :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I had similar dilemma to you a while back. Work and home life fairly busy. Addled my brain trying to figure out what fits where. L came back on board as coach and really simplified things. I think we can all be guilty of overcomplicating things from time to time and obsessing about mileage, long runs, where everything fits etc.

My week is really simplified down to easy runs, two sessions and a long run. The easy runs are capped at 50mins. And I'm in better shape than I have been for a long time.

My week is really simplified down to easy runs, two sessions and a long run. The easy runs are capped at 50mins. And I'm in better shape than I have been for a long time.

I'm all for simple. Thats what I liked about the Hansons plan. Simplicity and a pattern. I plugged all the workouts into the watch ahead of the programme and didn't think about them until I had to do them. Gave a lot more headspace to focus on diet, conditioning etc..

Friday 15 May
    AM: Easy 5.18m @7:56, hr 137
    AM: Yoga 20 mins not with Adrienne! Sun salutation sequences :)
    PM: Workout: 4x1200m CV off 90sec

The morning was a nice 40 mins in the sunshine before a short yoga sequence and breakfast. Given how long I've been running most runs lately it really did feel short.

What I liked about this was it was just about the workout, not half a mind on adding a mile to the warm up and cool down. 3 miles warm up and got stuck in. The rep times look ok but the first 2 reps were terrible. I struggled to find the "sweet spot". I used the target zone on the watch but that was dong my head in beeping constantly to remind me to get into the desired zone. I need to feel a pace and find its rhythm.

I did the workout in a local estate and on rep 2, I had to rescue my cap after a sudden gust blew it off my head :rolleyes: Lesson learned to wear it backwards on windy wokouts or leave it at home! I was interrupted again on rep 3 with a car pulling suddenly out of a driveway and nearly taking me out. Swears and apologies :mad: It seemed to reset my mind though because I suddenly found a rhythm at target pace and it felt good for 2 minutes. Before I could lock it in the rep was done and the 90 seconds recovery evaporated. The last rep was the best. I settled into the pace earlier and found it easier to hold it by feel.

Overall it was 18 minutes work, reduced from 26 last week on the same workout. However the intervals on Tuesday was 12 minutes work so overall at 30 mins total work over 2 sessions, this week is a step up. Again because of the easy miles banked in the morning, I could just do the 3 miles cool down.

I wore the NB 1500v5 for this workout and the Adidas Adizero 4 for Tuesdays workout. No comparison, the Adidas felt waay better. I think the NB is more of a stability fast shoe and not very forgiving on the road. My feet were beat up after them. The Adizero 4 felt like firm fitting slippers but with a responsive boost from the foam at work.

4x1200m w/90s recovery
    Target pace 6:15
    rep#|rep time|avg pace|avg hr
    1|4:37|6:12|158
    2|4:35|6:09|164
    3|4:36|6:11|163
    4|4:37|6:12|164

Saturday 16 May
    Easy 9.1m @7:50, hr 140, 1hr11

Legs a tad stiff from the workout on Friday. Simple miles, evening smiles. Lots out and about and lots of polite salutes.

Sun 17 May
    Long Run 16.2m @7:45 inc 20 min MP (6:43), 2hr05

I make pancakes every Sunday morning for the kids and if I am not out and done before that it means an evening long run. 2hrs late on a Sunday evening is not my favourite. The legs felt fatigued and I figured I'd just keep it easy for 2 hours. I had planned some MP but unsure if I had the energy. Maybe I'd do 1 mile and go from there :confused: After 6 miles, the first mile MP was into a breeze up a long drag and I felt it. The next 2 miles were with the wind but 2 hills made it tough work. The 20 mins were within the MP heart rate zone but the legs were fatigued. It was a long hour home after that.

Overall 80.5 miles total in 10.5 hours including 2x workouts for the week plus 75 mins on the yoga mat. Weight down to 80.8kg. Solid week but feeling it. The plan is for much the same this week so real focus on recovery between workouts.

• Advertisement

Monday 18 May
    AM: 22mins Yoga with who else, Adrienne! "Home" Day 23, plus 80sec plank & 20 push ups
    PM: Easy 9.02m @8:30, hr 133, 1hr16

Some amount of people out walking, running and socialising. Its great to see actually, life on the streets. However, a group of 6 bulky rugby lads taking over the footpath and a Garda van drives right passed, hmmm :rolleyes: It meant running way off the footpath at times and some motorists practically trying to bump you back onto it. I did have a double decker bus sneak up on me enjoying some beats, friendly beep and scare the living bejeezus out of me.

Not that there was much bejeezus there anyway. Legs bloody battered :( The Friday, Sunday combo contributing to almost post marathon like stiffness. For some bizarre reason (WFH looking out at the clouds all day), I put on a long sleeve :confused: Sweated buckets. Always have a cap on now because the hair has gone long enough to flop about. Took it very handy, running on grass when I could. I did loosen up a little and sort of enjoyed being out with the masses. The quads could really do with recovering by tomorrow..

Tuesday 19 May
    AM: Workout: 8x400m off 400m, 10.86m, hr max 174 (93%)
    AM: 16mins Yoga with Adrienne "Home" Day 24 plus 80sec plank and 20 push ups
    PM: Easy 4.6m @8:17, hr 138 (74%), 38mins

Woke up seconds before my alarm so nobody disturbed (aka the kids). Quad DOMS still there so no idea how a workout would feel. The idea of this session is quality short speed reps without smashing myself. Adding reps and reducing rest will make it a tougher session but time for that. 3 miles steady warm up. Thought I was moving ok until a lad popped out of an estate and zoomed up the road ahead of me. Onto the reps and just got stuck in. Fast first 100 then settled. The legs felt energised and I focused on turning them over and relaxing my shoulders.

The recovery was a generous 400m and easy pace. Overall the reps were solid, more consistent than last week and there was a bit in the tank. I quite enjoyed the short workout :)

A few easy miles at lunchtime, breaking up what used to be a workout within a long run. Some advice from KSU which might help to build the base volume and managing the fatigue/recovery better. Legs felt heavy but the weather was warm and heavy too. At one point 4 other runners and I crossed each other at a point on a road, all giving each other space, without side stepping, hurdling, dancing or hopping :)

8x400m w/400m recovery
    Target pace 5:40
    rep#|rep time|avg pace|avg hr|%maxhr
    1|1:22|5:30|161|86.6
    2|1:22|5:30|163|87.6
    3|1:20|5:22|164|88.2
    4|1:20|5:22|166|89.2
    5|1:21|5:26|164|88.2
    6|1:19|5:18|166|89.2
    7|1:22|5:30|165|88.7
    8|1:22|5:30|166|89.2

Wednesday 20 May
    Easy 10.44m @7:59, hr 74.7%, 1hr23

Warm windy cloudy conditions. Most of the first few miles were into the wind and pretty laboured. The quads still tight. The sounds of the birds replaced by cars again. Sounded so unnecessarily noisy. On the upside, I rarely meet runners on the few country miles of my usual loop. This evening I met 5 of them!

Instead of actual heart rate, I'm using max hr %. My easy runs should be 70-75% so this one was on the edge of that. That's how it felt too. The engine running at 74.7% capacity for 83mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Just curious, are you still going to move on to a marathon plan even with DCM cancelled now? I think that's what plan you said you were moving on to next.. sorry if I've picked it up wrong :)

Hi ReeReeG, really enjoying your stories on the forum!

No, you picked it up just right :D The goal at the start of the year was a Half Marathon to benchmark fitness mid year and a plan for DCM. Since everything changed I went back to building a base with a view to starting a marathon plan end of June. It is still my intention even with DCM called off, to be in Marathon shape by then. There is likely to be virtual marathon events or worst case scenario a TT :eek: Either way its going to be a big block of training for the 2021 DCM. PB or bust eh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Hi ReeReeG, really enjoying your stories on the forum!

No, you picked it up just right :D The goal at the start of the year was a Half Marathon to benchmark fitness mid year and a plan for DCM. Since everything changed I went back to building a base with a view to starting a marathon plan end of June. It is still my intention even with DCM called off, to be in Marathon shape by then. There is likely to be virtual marathon events or worst case scenario a TT :eek: Either way its going to be a big block of training for the 2021 DCM. PB or bust eh :)

Good lord. That is unimaginable.

Fair play though... maybe there will be small 100 people marathon events by then?!

Thursday May 21
    AM: Easy 6.34m @8:25, hr 66.3%, 53 mins
    PM: Easy 6.36m @8:29, hr 70.6%, 54 mins

A pair of almost identical routes but very different conditions yesterday. The morning was a rather pleasant light breezy easy miles over the bridge, in and out of the city. Well under 70% effort for recovery with 2 miles of it on grass :) I saw a lone single sculler (rower) gliding over the relatively calm water gracefully, from above the bridge and had a longing to trade places with him, and his skill to make it look effortless.

The evening was altogether different. Strong wind and lashing rain had rolled in. Absolutely miserable! I was the only eejit out in it too. Got completely soaked through. I forgot the hrm too and the garmin thought I was sprinting the first 2 miles :rolleyes: By 3 miles I wanted to just sit down under a tree and call for a lift. Then, mile 4 onto grass and just suddenly started enjoying the gnarly conditions. Happy perhaps that I had just 2 miles to get home into a hot shower and eat something. I was pretty hungry too.

Friday 22 May
    Easy 5.1m @8:03, hr 70%

The day nearly ran away from me. I intended to do a workout before Caz left for work but slept passed the alarm. Contimplated doing it without a warm up but that would be asking for trouble. Nearly bailed too when I saw 3% on the watch. Used Cazs 645 instead while she got ready. I had made overnight oats for the kids so they helped themselves. A short few easy windy laps and I was done in time for the kids second breakfast. I'd catch the workout later instead.

Alas a busy day with work and the kids, coupled with howling wind and rain by the time Caz got home and I easily binned the thought of a workout. Both my wrists are strained which has puzzled me. Perhaps my WFH setup but it was right wrist first then left wrist this week. Perhaps the daily plank and push ups. I've upped the daily plank to 80secs and push ups to 24. Hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I'd bet money it's the push ups. Same happened me before.

• Advertisement

@Swashbuckler - Id say you are right. To compound the issue I was doing the push ups on my fists as it felt better, but a lot tougher too (proper press ups)

Saturday 23 May
    AM: 18mins Yoga with Adrienne "Home" Day 25 +80sec plank/24 push ups
    PM: Easy/Steady 5m, 4m @MP (6:36), Easy 3m, hr for MP 86.1%

Decided to RAIF (Run as I feel). The rain had abated but it was still windy. After a few easy days and missing the Friday workout, I had energy. Started easy, then found a stride. It was the last wear for the NB 1080v10s. 310 miles of easy run is not a good return for a €170 shoe IMO (I got on discount). The upper is still perfect but the sole under my foot strike completely worn away beyond the foam outer layer. As a result is felt better to be further forward on the footstrike. The effort became steady for a couple of miles before I decided to bring the MP work forward a day.

I initially planned some MP miles in the long run but not having a workout in my legs I brought it forward with the intention of doing a steady LR instead.

MP Miles 6:44, 6:36, 6:31, 6:31

Felt good. The first mile involved a hill but then had the wind at my back for the next 2. The last mile was another hill but still felt good after it. Overall 86.1% effort is about mid MP zone so spot on. The pace was not realistic though. Not a hope I'd hold that for 26.2... not yet anyway :cool:

Sunday 24 May
    Long Run 16.25m @7:19, hr 79.7%, 1hr59

Smashing day for a run! Fueled with pancakes I set off for a long loop of the 5km radius. The most country road version I could find. It was warm so I kept to shade as much as possible. Wore the Boston 7s for this one and straight away was tipping along at 7:20s for a few miles. I was enjoying it so just found a steady groove and settled in. A gear higher than easy but lower than MP, reserved for the LR. The 12m with 4@MP the previous day ensured there was fatigue as a factor. I started to feel it at 9m. Still, the legs turned over. I think I'm starting to get used to training with tired legs and perhaps am starting to adapt to this higher mileage threshold. I still need to be cautious.

At 11m I approached my Dads house along a long quiet country road. Since it was within the 5km I called in to say hi for the first time in 3 months and got some water. My legs must have thought they were done as they nearly seized up when I got going again. Just one more hill and it was softly undulating along the Kilmallock Road back to Limerick. Not my favourite road to run on as so many speeding on it. Tired and thirsty for a finish but a solid long run in the bank :) The legs felt as sore as I'd expect after 2x 80m weeks.

As we got the dinner organised to have in the garden, Zoe, my 5yo, got clean clothes and a towel ready in the bathroom for my shower, without me knowing. Such a sweet thing. Little girls know how to melt your heart and make the pain ebb away :)

Overall 81.1 miles total in 10hr37 for the week, including 1 workout. Just 1 hour of yoga as supplementary though. I need to do better than that and introduce the roller.

Advertisement