Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Penn wrote: »
    Might be an idea alright. I was using the green gourd to reduce the poison meter from filling.

My main issue with him is not being able to capitalise on hitting him. Most of his attacks end with him jumping away before I have a chance to do any decent damage, and he fills up my posture like crazy.

Owl is one of those fights where you have to reduce his HP in order to stop his Posture regenerating too quickly. I found the easiest way to do this was maintaining distance and baiting his double shurikens and jump combo. Dodge behind him and hit him then. It's a very long drawn out fight but very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,799 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Might be an idea alright. I was using the green gourd to reduce the poison meter from filling.

My main issue with him is not being able to capitalise on hitting him. Most of his attacks end with him jumping away before I have a chance to do any decent damage, and he fills up my posture like crazy.

If you're getting perfect deflects your meter doesn't go up.

He does a front flip attack where he slams his sword into the ground, if you run close to him when he does this you'll get two hits in most of the time. If you stay at a bit of a distance as well to bait a chain attack just throw Ash or a Firecracker in his face as he comes to the end of the attack and you'll get another hit or two in on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,227 ✭✭✭✭Penn

TitianGerm wrote: »
    If you're getting perfect deflects your meter doesn't go up.

He does a front flip attack where he slams his sword into the ground, if you run close to him when he does this you'll get two hits in most of the time. If you stay at a bit of a distance as well to bait a chain attack just throw Ash or a Firecracker in his face as he comes to the end of the attack and you'll get another hit or two in on him.

Yeah I think I'm just going to have to lose to him a bit more and just learn his attacks better. Then pop a sugar or two as well.

Yeah I think I'm just going to have to lose to him a bit more and just learn his attacks better. Then pop a sugar or two as well.

Mortal Draw is great for this fight as well. First time I beat him I relied on it (too much probably).

Think I spent most of that fight running around his attacks and darting in for one or two hits and then darting out again.

When I played on NG I actually deflected most of his attacks and beat him that way.

• Advertisement

First time I beat Owl.

Like TitianGerm my next time beating him relied less on sprinting around and more on deflects.

Got him after another 3 attempts. Tough going, just managed to avoid poison twice, and he got me with the heal blocker a few times but thankfully outlasted it.

Mortal Draw was a good shout, cheers.

Got him after another 3 attempts. Tough going, just managed to avoid poison twice, and he got me with the heal blocker a few times but thankfully outlasted it.

Mortal Draw was a good shout, cheers.

Round 2 in Hirata Estate was a hell of a lot tougher. Most times didn't even make it to the second stage. Half the time I didn't even bother resurrecting because he knocked me so hard from the start. Anyway, he's down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I think Owl took me about 20 attempts, same for the 2 apes, both of them were the hardest parts of the game for me.

Thargor wrote: »
    I think Owl took me about 20 attempts, same for the 2 apes, both of them were the hardest parts of the game for me.

2 apes I got first time, but I think I was quite lucky that I found it easy to separate them enough.

Since actually getting used to the combat, most bosses haven't given me too much trouble, but 2nd Owl and tonight True Corrupted Monk have definitely been so much harder than the rest.

• Advertisement

Finished. Final boss was a pain in the absolute jacksy, definitely needs a lot of failures to learn his attacks. The grass doesn't help being able to see what attack is coming, nor does his irregular attack patterns.

I was mostly just trying to learn the fight and save sugars/confetti/rice until I was properly ready to take him on, but last fight just went my way enough that aside from the gourds, I only popped a sugar for the last few hits.

Really enjoyed the game overall. Still have issues with it, one thing that grated me towards the end was consumables. Rarely ended up using sugars and half the stuff because it's too easy to die and lose them. Still not sure what half the things do. Maybe in further playthroughs when you don't need as much money for upgrades you can be a bit more carefree with them because you can buy more.

Barrelling through NG+ as I've nothing else to play before TLOU2. Not sure if I'll go for the platinum as it might require a bit of grinding for all skills/upgrades, but as much as I enjoyed the stealth and exploration of the first playthrough, goddamn I'm enjoying smashing everything second time around. Still have to take care due to the damage they can do, but it's so satisfying knocking the unholy crap out of everyone. Taking down almost all bosses first time round, plenty of tools to use throughout, and more importantly, kicking the sh*t out of Seven Spears without any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Kind of sickened I didn't pick this up when Base had it for 25 euro a while back. Been stalking this thread for a while and I'm intrigued by the game. Loved Bloodborne but its the only Souls game I've finished. Tempted to pick it up digitally for 45 on Xbox but hard copy seems much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

If you are in no rush pick up the hard copy, it's excellent.

Think I'm done with the game at this stage. Got most of the way through ng+ (only really final boss and demon of hatred left), but even if I manipulated save file to get the last two endings (already did it to get Shura ending) and got the last few materials for upgrades, I'd have one trophy left over for the platinum. And the grinding it'd take for all those skill points... nah mate. Thats where I check out. TLOU2 is out tomorrow.

Overall though, a really fantastic game. Enjoyed it immensely once I got maybe halfway through and it really started clicking for me. It can be incredibly cheap and frustrating at times, but when you're in a decent flow against a tough boss and it's all going well, it's something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Think I'm done with the game at this stage. Got most of the way through ng+ (only really final boss and demon of hatred left), but even if I manipulated save file to get the last two endings (already did it to get Shura ending) and got the last few materials for upgrades, I'd have one trophy left over for the platinum. And the grinding it'd take for all those skill points... nah mate. Thats where I check out. TLOU2 is out tomorrow.

Overall though, a really fantastic game. Enjoyed it immensely once I got maybe halfway through and it really started clicking for me. It can be incredibly cheap and frustrating at times, but when you're in a decent flow against a tough boss and it's all going well, it's something else.

I found myself going back to it after a while the same way I do with other Souls games. Not sure why but I just like playing through them. Didn't finish Sekiro, got to the end, got pissed off with the boss and left it for a week or two. Worst thing is when I went back to it I was terrible at it so started again :pac:

Started downloading TLOU2 last night but have work today but I am working from home .....hmmm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/3869930942/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_1IX7Eb27BWFHS

The official guide is reduced on Amazon for anyone who likes collecting them.

Finally picked this up there yesterday. Just hit first mini boss there and took several efforts to beat him. Parry mechanic is satisfying but hard to pull off sometimes and not sure if I can parry those attacks with the red symbol over the guys head or if I just have to get the hell out of the way. Have Mikiri Counter unlocked but not sure if I'm doing it right. Big change from Dark Souls and BB style of play.

skerry wrote: »
    Finally picked this up there yesterday. Just hit first mini boss there and took several efforts to beat him. Parry mechanic is satisfying but hard to pull off sometimes and not sure if I can parry those attacks with the red symbol over the guys head or if I just have to get the hell out of the way. Have Mikiri Counter unlocked but not sure if I'm doing it right. Big change from Dark Souls and BB style of play.

The attacks with the red symbol fall into three categories: a sweep attack, a thrust attack and a grab attack.

Sweeps have to be jumped. Theres a skill that means when you jump over a sweep you can do another jump off the enemies head and do decent posture damage to them, or you can at least just jump out of the way to avoid the attack. For sweeps, the enemy will usually pull their weapon to one side when the symbol appears because they're going to sweep from one side to the other.

Thrust attacks have to be Mikiri countered. They'll pull their weapon in close to their body before thrusting because they're going to thrust forward. Definitely worth practicing with Hanbei at the Dilapidated Temple. Does huge posture damage. Thrusts can technically be blocked, but it'll do huge damage to your posture and means you miss a counterattack.

Grabs have to be dodged. Mostly used by beast or monster type enemies (but some human and boss enemies use them too). Enemy will either arch back, put their arms out to the side or put their weapon away or similar before grabbing. Its the most fickle though imo. Enemy tracking and wide grab radius means just try get out of their reach however possible (jumping wont help).

It takes getting used to, but even with new enemy types you start to learn how to recognise what type of Kanji attack they're about to use, and how to avoid/counter.

I've actually just gone back to playing Sekiro after finishing TLOU2. Such a great game. Going to just push through for the platinum with another playthrough (or part of). Enjoy!

The attacks with the red symbol fall into three categories: a sweep attack, a thrust attack and a grab attack.

Sweeps have to be jumped. Theres a skill that means when you jump over a sweep you can do another jump off the enemies head and do decent posture damage to them, or you can at least just jump out of the way to avoid the attack. For sweeps, the enemy will usually pull their weapon to one side when the symbol appears because they're going to sweep from one side to the other.

Thrust attacks have to be Mikiri countered. They'll pull their weapon in close to their body before thrusting because they're going to thrust forward. Definitely worth practicing with Hanbei at the Dilapidated Temple. Does huge posture damage. Thrusts can technically be blocked, but it'll do huge damage to your posture and means you miss a counterattack.

Grabs have to be dodged. Mostly used by beast or monster type enemies (but some human and boss enemies use them too). Enemy will either arch back, put their arms out to the side or put their weapon away or similar before grabbing. Its the most fickle though imo. Enemy tracking and wide grab radius means just try get out of their reach however possible (jumping wont help).

It takes getting used to, but even with new enemy types you start to learn how to recognise what type of Kanji attack they're about to use, and how to avoid/counter.

I've actually just gone back to playing Sekiro after finishing TLOU2. Such a great game. Going to just push through for the platinum with another playthrough (or part of). Enjoy!

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to pay a bit more attention and look out for those enemy tells so. I practiced some of the jump, counters and that with Hanbei alright, different story when there's a crazy samurai bearing down on me though.

I've pretty much just been working around the very first area to get used to the combat as much as I can and get enough XP for Mikiri Counter, not sure what ability would be most useful to get next though.

Was actually the second miniboss I had a bit of trouble with (General Naomori Kawarada). Died to him enough times for the whole Dragonrot thing to come into the picture. I presume the Dragonrot thing is unavoidable, or is there a way to manage it (can find out for myself is spoiler territory). I'd imagine there's a pretty low chance of getting through the first few bosses without Dragonrot taking effect.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to pay a bit more attention and look out for those enemy tells so. I practiced some of the jump, counters and that with Hanbei alright, different story when there's a crazy samurai bearing down on me though.

I've pretty much just been working around the very first area to get used to the combat as much as I can and get enough XP for Mikiri Counter, not sure what ability would be most useful to get next though.

Was actually the second miniboss I had a bit of trouble with (General Naomori Kawarada). Died to him enough times for the whole Dragonrot thing to come into the picture. I presume the Dragonrot thing is unavoidable, or is there a way to manage it (can find out for myself is spoiler territory). I'd imagine there's a pretty low chance of getting through the first few bosses without Dragonrot taking effect.

Yeah you can get rid of Dragonrot. After you beat that General, go back to Dilapidated Temple and speak with Emma (don't worry, boss/mini-boss enemies won't respawn like other enemies do). She'll tell you how to cure it.

It's not a hugely serious thing, the biggest downside is less chance of Unseen aid (where you don't lose XP and money when you die). But it'll also stop any progression on side missions or merchants depending on what NPC has dragonrot, so it is best to cure it when you have the chance. It requires a consumable item to cure it, so I'd advise that whenever it happens in future, wait until you defeat whatever boss is repeatedly killing you before curing it, just in case you die more times to him.

Yeah you can get rid of Dragonrot. After you beat that General, go back to Dilapidated Temple and speak with Emma (don't worry, boss/mini-boss enemies won't respawn like other enemies do). She'll tell you how to cure it.

It's not a hugely serious thing, the biggest downside is less chance of Unseen aid (where you don't lose XP and money when you die). But it'll also stop any progression on side missions or merchants depending on what NPC has dragonrot, so it is best to cure it when you have the chance. It requires a consumable item to cure it, so I'd advise that whenever it happens in future, wait until you defeat whatever boss is repeatedly killing you before curing it, just in case you die more times to him.

Pretty sure I returned to Emma after getting it cos I had a Gourd Seed from the boss to use but don't think she knew what to do to cure it yet. I'm sure it will be revealed as I progress. I had heard of it before I got the game and was worried it would be some game breaking thing if it got out of hand. Looking forward to getting stuck back in again now this evening. Presume it's advisable to not take on every enemy you come across. That was a mistake I made starting out in Bloodborne, I felt the need to kill every enemy and it just got frustrating, sometime its better just to scoot past them.

Pretty sure I returned to Emma after getting it cos I had a Gourd Seed from the boss to use but don't think she knew what to do to cure it yet. I'm sure it will be revealed as I progress. I had heard of it before I got the game and was worried it would be some game breaking thing if it got out of hand. Looking forward to getting stuck back in again now this evening. Presume it's advisable to not take on every enemy you come across. That was a mistake I made starting out in Bloodborne, I felt the need to kill every enemy and it just got frustrating, sometime its better just to scoot past them.

When it said about the dragonrot, it likely said which NPC was affected by it. I think you have to go to them to get a blood sample for it, then bring it back to Emma. I think the first NPC that had it for me though was the old woman in the area past that General.

Just Googled it, you need another NPC to get it (other than the Sculptor) before you can cure it. Then you need a blood sample from them. So I guess just belt on until that happens.

Edit: Also forgot to say, you only need to do this for the first time. You don't need blood samples from them after that. Once Emma makes the cure, you just need one of the consumables and you can cure Dragonrot from any sculptors idol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

What do you guys make of this similar looking game from Sucker Punch about to be released?

Asus X540L wrote: »
    What do you guys make of this similar looking game from Sucker Punch about to be released?

It looks bland to be honest and combat looks tame in comparison.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Given Sucker Punch’s record, I’m not really interested at all tbh. Setting might be broadly similar, but would be surprised if the design was anywhere near the same.

Always open to pleasant surprises, but would take some very, very positive feedback to sway me towards it.

Asus X540L wrote: »

The setting is somewhat similar, but I think gameplay, tone and so much else will be so different it'll be hard to properly compare the two. I'd say it'll end up being more comparable to Assassin's Creed Odyssey than Sekiro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I reckon its going to be pretty much Assassins creed Japan, with a different name.. Heres hoping the voice acting and story is much better, otherwise it will get old fast like AC games do..

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,179 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What will it take for this to ever become discounted!

Advertisement