Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty, dreary, expensive, nothing to do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Walking along the quays earlier, ****1ng Roma’s walking in the opposite direction with their hands out asking for money. F*ck off. What a **** hole Dublin has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It doesnt really matter what the bored housewives of Slough and Maccelsfield think. Dublin consistently ranks no 5 or 6 as the most popular European city for a short break. Once you take out the heavyweights of London, Paris, Rome, Barcelona, Amsterdam there we are in terms of popularity. Way outstripping capitals like Helsinki, Oslo, Vienna, etc. Our tourism market is well heeled Europeans who like that Ireland is much different to the rest of the European capitals. We dont need the cheap charlie type tourism anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

fatknacker wrote: »
    Museums and galleries are free. A trip to howth / dun laoghaire is about €6 or so return and they can walk around there for free. A double cheeseburger in McDonald's is €2 or do a shop in lidl and make their own food.
    They can enjoy Dublin for cheap if they like or they can shove it up their holes.
    I don't care, I'd prefer fewer tourists, myself. Piss off to Paris.

I'm sorry but that sounds like a ****e holiday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Blueshoe wrote: »

Maybe the people complaining already tried fat knackers advice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

No need to apologise if free culture / nature are not your bag in a trip. I'm sure you could find more amazing things to do without spending money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

ittakestwo wrote: »
    It Does rain a lot here. We seem to have a lot of days where it just does not stop raining. Of course that will piss people off no end. We dont really show in failte ireland brochures what really the street scape will probably look like if you visit. Pissing rain with umbrellas.

Anyone who thinks it rains a lot in Dublin obviously has spent feck-all time on the west coast! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's hard to tell from the in-depth analysis how long they came here for. Very few cities, with the exception of Rome, offer enough interesting things for more than 3 days. Fewer still offer activities for very small people and there is a realistic minimum age for city visits so that they don't whinge about being bored every 5 minutes. That said, people in and around Dublin find something to do all year round with sproglets, inside and out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Walking along the quays earlier, ****1ng Roma’s walking in the opposite direction with their hands out asking for money. F*ck off. What a **** hole Dublin has become.

Wow a beggar in Dublin, headline stuff right there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

they are complaining how wet it is in the middle of winter....enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Personally I find a lot of continental cities nicer to spend time in. Partly because of weather, partly because of outdoor markets, public squares and pedestrianised city centres. You can't fix the the weather but the rest could be improved. There is more to the city than museums and the offering of craft souvenirs (except drink) is pretty poor in Ireland. The most souvenirs are aimed at drunken student market with couple of Aran jumpers thrown in for Americans. Ireland has great food but areas with most people are littered with fast food joints and better food is hidden away because decent restaurants are priced out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Throwing out the options here, thanks for taking part.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Mothers bringing kids on a city break need their heads examined. Kids get bored as soon as their sweets are finished. What a waste of a holiday and if I am honest you would think they would have a lot more consideration for their offspring.

I used to hate going shopping with my ma when I was a nipper. Hanging around the changing rooms in Switzers stuffing myself with cola lollys and getting headaches. It was awful.

If anything it typifies how vacuous the modern mummy has become.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Throwing out the options here, thanks for taking part.:rolleyes:

Keep your thanks to yourself pal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭NSAman

It is funny, I read some of the reviews and honestly while some points are valid, i.e. homelessness, drug aggicts, places looking run down...it all depends o what you want.

I bring many people to Ireland regularly. My last trip was with three women from the States. They had planned on spending 5 days in Ireland and then going to London. After our five day tour of Ireland we headed back to Dublin. One day in Dublin and they didn’t want to go to London. They LOVED the place.

Obviously, with a fantastic Irish native to guide them, I had told them what to avoid.

They arrived in Dublin and we spent one day there before heading off around the country.

Some of the misconceptions that they came with were completely blown away. These were:

Food... they had heard the food was terrible. We didn’t have a bad meal anywhere.

Boring... seeing as they had heard this prior to arrival, they were worried. They literally did not have enough time. They did not know much of the history of Ireland and loved the fact that most people they talked to could tell them about places we visited. The fact they are all planning a return visit with their husbands means they didn’t find it boring.

The people... while they knew most Irish people they had met were friendly, they were literally blown away with the fun and chats they had wherever they went.

Finally, DUBLIN... obviously it is small.. they were worried that they wouldn’t find much to do. I left them alone while I ent to visit family for a day and when I came back all plans had changed. They loved Dublin. They raved at the friendliness, the history, the things to do (including shopping). I took them to a restaurant one night and they were shocked at the level of service and the quality of food. (These ladies are married to multimillionaires and used to the best!).

Needless to say, I was shocked myself. They absolutely loved the “atmosphere” of Dublin. Next year, 20 of them are planning a trip back....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Yeah the roads/paving in Dublin is really ramshackle in parts. Baggot St and South Anne St are in an absolute state. I have no idea what DCC do half the time.

I walk up Westland Row, East Merrion Square and up Baggot St daily. Some of the pavement stones are loose and you can feel them shift.

Also in regards to Mumsnet. That particular audience wouldn't be suited to a Dublin City break. I reckon it would be a nightmare to bring a young family to. Transport is ****e and museums etc would bore the life out of kids.

It more suited to people travelling without kids, stags, hens etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I walk up Westland Row, East Merrion Square and up Baggot St daily. Some of the pavement stones are loose and you can feel them shift.

Also in regards to Mumsnet. That particular audience wouldn't be suited to a Dublin City break. I reckon it would be a nightmare to bring a young family to. Transport is ****e and museums etc would bore the life out of kids.

It more suited to people travelling without kids, stags, hens etc.

Ha, yeah I do that walk or cycle every day too. The worst part is Merrion Street and Baggot St crossroads, the pavements are barely wide enough for 2 people to stand at the corner and they get packed with people, while cars and trucks speed by at ridiculous speeds. Most of the centre isn't great for walking around, as you're sharing space with speeding cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Muahahaha wrote: »
    It doesnt really matter what the bored housewives of Slough and Maccelsfield think. Dublin consistently ranks no 5 or 6 as the most popular European city for a short break. Once you take out the heavyweights of London, Paris, Rome, Barcelona, Amsterdam there we are in terms of popularity. Way outstripping capitals like Helsinki, Oslo, Vienna, etc. Our tourism market is well heeled Europeans who like that Ireland is much different to the rest of the European capitals. We dont need the cheap charlie type tourism anymore.

It clearly does matter since we are talking about it and not just us, other media outlets are running the story. It's an interesting example of how one thread on a free site can undo lots of expensive marketing.

I think some of the criticism laid at Dublin is down to missed expectations. Dublin isn't like a lot of other European capitals on the tourist trail, with many of them being capitals of former empires. It really is unfair to compare Dublin with Paris, London or Amsterdam, since it doesn't have the architectural legacy that those have from the age of empire.

Other criticism is valid however. Dublin has some serious long standing problems that spoil the city and it's something which many people here have long complained about being deficient. Public transport is expensive and low quality. Many parts of the city are very neglected and a particular example of this which is very visible to tourists is O'Connell St. Littering is endemic, especially the proliferation of stickers on street furniture throughout the centre. Drug abusers are very visible largely as a result of the moronic decision to locate treatment centres in the very centre of the city.

Again, none of this is news to people who live and work in the city. Yes, it can be hard to hear it from visitors (especially those that come from cities with worse problems than Dublin). The hardest criticism to take is the one with some truth to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Can't walk down Grafton today, it's black with visitors. Don't know why it's worth getting defensive over what a few miserable British mummys say.

As for no nice cheap, authentic places to eat, whoever said that is talking through their hoop.

If you're a miserable uninterested ****e at home, changing location ain't gonna help with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

meeeeh wrote: »
    Personally I find a lot of continental cities nicer to spend time in. Partly because of weather, partly because of outdoor markets, public squares and pedestrianised city centres. You can't fix the the weather but the rest could be improved. There is more to the city than museums and the offering of craft souvenirs (except drink) is pretty poor in Ireland. The most souvenirs are aimed at drunken student market with couple of Aran jumpers thrown in for Americans. Ireland has great food but areas with most people are littered with fast food joints and better food is hidden away because decent restaurants are priced out.

That’s the way in most cities, you’ve to do a bit of searching off the main thoroughfares to find good places to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

fatknacker wrote: »
    Can't walk down Grafton today, it's black with visitors. Don't know why it's worth getting defensive over what a few miserable British mummys say.

As for no nice cheap, authentic places to eat, whoever said that is talking through their hoop.

If you're a miserable uninterested ****e at home, changing location ain't gonna help with that.

I agree with this.I would say dublin has the one of the highest standards of restaurant food and the widest choice compared to almost any city in the world.

The amount of competition alone keep prices down...for example the lunch deals on dawson st are pretty incredible for the standard of food you are getting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,833 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Everyone is saying that it's cheap, but I'm wondering are ye comparing it to other places in Dublin, or in general? Can we have a few examples? I want to see what Dubliners consider cheap...

I haven't been to Dublin in years but my memory of if is its dirty/grimey. Like it could do with a good powerwash and some paint.

Too many people dressed in tracksuits too which would bring the impression of anywhere down. Too many gangs of little scrotes too.

I haven't been to Dublin in years but my memory of if is its dirty/grimey. Like it could do with a good powerwash and some paint.

They did power wash the streets recently enough, think it was during the water ban...

They did power wash the streets recently enough, think it was during the water ban...

Mind you I'll tell you a city that could do with a good powerwash more than Dublin and that is Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

visited a european city last week.
    coffee excellent and a lot cheaper than here. food much the same price but nicer.
    hotel very reasonably priced incl breakfast and all excellent.
    things to see and do.

dublin - overpriced, nothing to see or do, tired, dirty and vastly overrated by its upstanding citizens.

Mind you I'll tell you a city that could do with a good powerwash more than Dublin and that is Rome.

Never been, doesn't interest me. The only way I'll visit Rome is to do the Path of Illumination tour, just so I can see the places and statues from the book. Other than that, I've no interest in the place.

Same with most capitals tbh. I'd rather go to a quieter town outside of the typical norms, as I find you experience a lot more without the crowd.
    dublin - overpriced, nothing to see or do, tired, dirty and vastly overrated by its upstanding citizens.

You're not allowed say that. Shur don't you know it has museums, and churches, and buildings, and... and... museums!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

They get the water from the Canals.

Dublin is great but could be SO much better for everyone including tourists. As a pp said, where are the indoor markets with cafes and restaurants? The Fruit and Veg place off Capel Street will probably take forever to become reality like so many other proposals.

I would agree that apart from museums and other cultural places there are far too few places to get out of the rain and mooch around. London has Borough Market, Barcelona has La Boqueria, in fact most cities have an indoor market, but Dublin has Moore Street. Enough said!

There really is nothing North of O'Connell Bridge that is worth it both for interest or your own safety now. Nicest places are around Sth William Street, Camden Street, the Green, Merrion Square. I am sure I have forgotten some!

Failte Ireland should really take note of the mummys, they possibly reflect a lot of views of the entire UK. Instead of going on the defensive, Failte Ireland together with the Dublin Chamber of Commerce, the Gardai and DCC should go on the attack and see it from the eyes of visitors and a residents and try and sort it out.

They don't. They sit in their fancy offices and produce great booklets and advertising but do not have a clue what's going on on the ground.

Dublin has great potential but it is not invested in. The traffic is awful, public transport has its limits, crime is visible everywhere and nothing is done, the streets ARE dirty, with cracked pavements and infills with dirty tarmac.

I better stop for the moment, because I lose my rag sometimes to see a lovely city being run down like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Not much history,

Huh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

meeeeh wrote: »

Nail in the wood right there. The reason streets pedestrianized is UNDERGROUND RAIL SYSTEM. The underground rail plan for Dublin was first approved in 1973 and still not a shovel in the ground yet, while traffic gets worse as another generation of inbred kunts exclaim 'buses are enough' while they sit in 3 hours of traffic everyday.

Just think of the millions of tourists who spend an hour in the bus in the pissing rain from the airport to the city centre as their gloom builds and sets the tone for the entire trip. Everywhere in Europe, even in cities much smaller than Dublin you get a metro at the airport and are at your hotel in 15 mins. If it is raining it's a minor issue as you are not trapped into it as you trundle through Whitehall stopping at every traffic light and wondering what the **** you let yourself in for as the bus arrives in Dorset Street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I would take Dublin over most British cities anyday, with the exception of London.

Have you ever been to Birmingham? Have no ever noticed once it is dark that nobody walks anywhere and they all drive? Tells you everything you need to know about how dangerous it is. A dangerous place it is too.

Advertisement