Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just got an email from Nvidia re: the new shield remote.
    Will be available to buy separately from early January 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I bought the Logitech K380 keyboard but the volume and mute buttons doesn't work on Nvidia Shield(2017) and wonder would anyone know a workaround?. Keyboard volume buttons works fine for windows.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Great. The 2017 remote is beyond trash.

All my shields are the 2015 version, but all were bought with gamepad as I have a few harmony 350s and a Harmony Ultimate in the main room.

One of the harmony 350's is starting to give up the ghost :(
    So rather than buying a new one, I'll wait until the new Nvidia remote is released and buy 2 of those instead :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Anybody see any deals on this today? Or was the gen 3 released too close to have a discount?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭branners69

Anybody see any deals on this today? Or was the gen 3 released too close to have a discount?

Disappointed that there were no deals to be had! Wonder will there be something on Cyber Monday??

branners69 wrote: »
    Disappointed that there were no deals to be had! Wonder will there be something on Cyber Monday??

Yeah hope Monday anyway and if not , will maybe treat myself mid year next year . Or save up for it

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭setanta1984

My shield seems to be cursed - still haven’t got the proper BBC iPlayer to appear ( :( ), and now the Play Store app is acting odd - the refreshed UI (https://ww.9to5google.com/2019/10/18/play-store-redesign-android-tv/) appeared on my device, then reverted to the old one a few hours later. This has happened 3 or four times over the last week or so. Anyone else get the new Play Store yet or see the same issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

My shield seems to be cursed - still haven’t got the proper BBC iPlayer to appear ( :( ), and now the Play Store app is acting odd - the refreshed UI (https://ww.9to5google.com/2019/10/18/play-store-redesign-android-tv/) appeared on my device, then reverted to the old one a few hours later. This has happened 3 or four times over the last week or so. Anyone else get the new Play Store yet or see the same issue?

Have tried to force update all week and still no new Play store yet.Is new design any good?

Has anyone tried an ambilight setup with Nvidia Shield.Any info would be grateful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

bozharry1 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried an ambilight setup with Nvidia Shield.Any info would be grateful.

Check out the Hue Stream app. It works with Philips hue bulbs. Great if thats your thing but I found it distracting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

I have the Shield set up with the Hue stream app and find it good but it depends on the individual set up I would imagine.

I have a 2M Hue strip on the back of the TV(along the top and slightly down each side 55" TV).On each side of the TV I have self built speaker units made from bedside lockers,sprayed black and drawers removed,I have then wired in a Hue colour GU10 spotlight into each of these units with the light shining down.(might load a pic,difficult to describe)
    2 tall lamps behind my sitting position both with Hue colour bulbs.

All of the above lights are mapped into the Hue stream app and you can assign screen area and size area and link these areas to individual lights i.e, The color on top of the TV screen is replicated on the 2M strip,each side of the TV screen is replicated to the tall lamps behind the sitting position and the 2 X GU10s in the spotlight set up take each of their respective corners of the TV screen
    Intensity and speed etc. can also be tweaked.

[IMG][/img]49160338406_fe4846a9a0_c.jpgUntitled by Clinton Daly, on Flickr

I have the Shield set up with the Hue stream app and find it good but it depends on the individual set up I would imagine.

I have a 2M Hue strip on the back of the TV(along the top and slightly down each side 55" TV).On each side of the TV I have self built speaker units made from bedside lockers,sprayed black and drawers removed,I have then wired in a Hue colour GU10 spotlight into each of these units with the light shining down.(might load a pic,difficult to describe)
    2 tall lamps behind my sitting position both with Hue colour bulbs.

All of the above lights are mapped into the Hue stream app and you can assign screen area and size area and link these areas to individual lights i.e, The color on top of the TV screen is replicated on the 2M strip,each side of the TV screen is replicated to the tall lamps behind the sitting position and the 2 X GU10s in the spotlight set up take each of their respective corners of the TV screen
    Intensity and speed etc. can also be tweaked.

[IMG][/img]49160338406_fe4846a9a0_c.jpgUntitled by Clinton Daly, on Flickr

Great setup The wife would kill me Haha And does the ambilight move With what’s on the screen?was thinking of this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Backlights-Compatible-Control-Lighting-Calibrate/dp/B07K1YPRGQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?keywords=tv+ambient+light+kit&qid=1575376411&sprefix=tv+ambi&sr=8-5

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

My controller is really starting to play up since I changed the battery, constantly loses connection with the shield and takes a minute each time to get it back working again, anybody know of any fixes for this or am I better off getting a third party one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

Mine wouldn't reconnect after I changed the batteries. Can't even pair it now. Need to get Nvidia to replace it but can't be bothered interacting with the support bot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

Me too. I just had to replace it after only a few months. It's a joke of a remote, especially considering the quality of the actual Shield itself.

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    You just have to remember the Hue Stream setup only works with video that doesn't have DRM. The likes of Netflix, YouTube etc won't work.

The one I’m thinking of buying has small camera on top of screen.The box behind tv sees what’s happening on screen and relays this to lights.So DRM won’t affect this light.

I’m using the new RTÉ Player from Android Tv store and works ok.If I come out of RTÉ Player and go back in,I get an upside down robot in comer of a blank screen.The app will only work again if I clear data.Has anyone else had this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

I’m using the new RTÉ Player from Android Tv store and works ok.If I come out of RTÉ Player and go back in,I get an upside down robot in comer of a blank screen.The app will only work again if I clear data.Has anyone else had this problem?
    Yes it's a known problem I think we all suffer it 😂😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

massy086 wrote: »
    Yes it's a known problem I think we all suffer it ����

The best thing to do is to uninstall RTE Player and pretend it never existed.

chewed wrote: »
    The best thing to do is to uninstall RTE Player and pretend it never existed.

Yes is a big pile of ****e.Just like RTÉ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Same happened to me. I had to wipe the Shield. But there's one thing you can try - change the setting for secure connections. Select option that it's not required for local network. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Log out and log in again on both server and client. Not sure it will work but it’s the first thing to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Goldigga

Question regarding Nvidia Geoforce. I signed up and have been waitlisted for access. I was going to try it out directly on the PC before buying a shield, but have heard the waiting times for the list can be long.

if you have a shield, are you still put on the wait list or do you get Geoforce access straight away? thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭BandMember

Yes, everyone here has experience of it - been going on for months now.

You'll need to clear you cache etc. after every time you use it or else it will keep happening.

I can't believe that they still haven't even bothered to fix it at this stage... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

If I want to use the new (Pro) shield for plex. Do I need an external ssd or will a hard drive be fast enough.

Bought one of these today off Amazon. Looking forward to tinkering with it. Emulation powerhouse here I come , interested in see the upscaling also

errlloyd wrote: »
    If I want to use the new (Pro) shield for plex. Do I need an external ssd or will a hard drive be fast enough.

Hard drive perfectly fine and likely better, certainly cheaper! I've a 2TB drive connected. No noise from it, drive goes to sleep when not active.

Exceptional customer service from Nvidia btw. Bought in North America, asked them about buying an Irish Plug for the charger, said they'd send one out free as a goodwill gesture.

This is arriving tuesday the 2019 version.

Any basic tips to get me started that I might miss? Haven't ordered any extra storage would HDD be enough or should I got for a NAS setup if using plex?

Any good emulators or is retroarch the best one?

excited to see if the AI upscaling lives up to they hype.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Any basic tips to get me started that I might miss? Haven't ordered any extra storage would HDD be enough or should I got for a NAS setup if using plex?

Retrox takes all the hardship out of Retroarch

Retrox takes all the hardship out of Retroarch

Yeah I fiddled with retroarch a few times. Work in IT so fairly used to troubleshooting, hopefully setting this thing up doesn't seem more like work haha

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

You will only need a NAS if you want to store or backup a whole pile of movies. If you do get one place it away from the shield and TV and PC as they are noisy yokes.

If you do decide on a NAS, make sure it's powerful enough to transcode the type/quality of movies you want to play.

You will only need a NAS if you want to store or backup a whole pile of movies. If you do get one place it away from the shield and TV and PC as they are noisy yokes.

If you do decide on a NAS, make sure it's powerful enough to transcode the type/quality of movies you want to play.

Yeah I might just go down the HDD route, one of my colleagues has a NAS and it gets pretty expensive , pretty quickly

I've done both. HDD way simpler and cheaper.

My 2019 Pro just landed and I am just in the process of setting it up. Brilliant device.

Would love to have live TV on it too. What are my options for TV service?

ronoc wrote: »
    Would love to have live TV on it too. What are my options for TV service?

We can't discuss the illegal TV options here.

I'm using Dream player to stream channels to my Shield from my Enigma 2 satellite combo box

I'm using Dream player to stream channels to my Shield from my Enigma 2 satellite combo box

Who mentioned illegal? Surely there is a legit option?

Who mentioned illegal? Surely there is a legit option?

There isn't really. The RTE player has no live TV. AFAIK the BBC iPlayer will have live TV but it's GeoBlocked you'll need a workaround like a VPN or SmartDNS (therefore not legit).

• Advertisement

I use the enigma2 plugin to stream my channels within Kodi with EPG.

banie01 wrote: »
    I use the enigma2 plugin to stream my channels within Kodi with EPG.

Yeah I tried that too but Dream player adds a bouquet to live channels on Android TV (premium only) so I have added my favourites bouquet with a selection of Saorview and the Freesat channels.

This arrived today , and I am blown away , it's so sleek and responsive. Anyone any tips regarding bkuettoh controllers? Tried to pair a PS4 controller and a knock off switch pro controller they both came up and paired . But when moving any of the buttons it was unresponsive any tip for this ?

When I plugged them in via the wired connection they worked fine ?

Just handy to have to wireless , using the Nvidia shield pro 2019

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭BandMember

My 2019 Pro just landed and I am just in the process of setting it up. Brilliant device.
    This arrived today , and I am blown away , it's so sleek and responsive.

Do either of you mind if I ask where you are purchasing from and what the delivery time is like? I would presume that the price is pretty similar across the board?

BandMember wrote: »
    Do either of you mind if I ask where you are purchasing from and what the delivery time is like? I would presume that the price is pretty similar across the board?

Mine was bought in best buy Canada for €204 - obviously tax has to be paid when you bring it in to Ireland, otherwise that'd be breaking the law.

Bought mine via Amazon.co.uk 199 pounds so around 230 euro.

Looked at it as an investment in my entertainment center:P

• Advertisement

Got mine on amazon via prime. I'm not sure what delivery time would be like now so close to xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Nvidia site doesnt seem to deliver to ireland. Anyone know any other partner sites that do?

Nvidia site doesnt seem to deliver to ireland. Anyone know any other partner sites that do?

Amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Back when I got my shield you could sideload stuff easy enough, but they seem to have it locked down pretty good now (according to some of my mates who've recently got them)

Example, I've downloader on mine where I can easily enough put in URLs for apks, apparently downloader has been locked down now (the newer version on the shields play store) and I've Aptoide etc.

What's the fastest and easiest way people go about it now? When I say go about it, I mean to about getting the one magic app on there so people can sideload away?

Back when I got my shield you could sideload stuff easy enough, but they seem to have it locked down pretty good now (according to some of my mates who've recently got them)

Example, I've downloader on mine where I can easily enough put in URLs for apks, apparently downloader has been locked down now (the newer version on the shields play store) and I've Aptoide etc.

What's the fastest and easiest way people go about it now? When I say go about it, I mean to about getting the one magic app on there so people can sideload away?

There are many ways to sideload. I use a network share folder on my Nas that's mapped on the Shield. Just download the apk, add it to this shared directory then run the APK on the Shield. It's a bit of work but I use the shared directory for other things, I have 30k retro games on there for RetroX

• Advertisement
Advertisement