Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Stbemu for iptv
    Emby rather than plex
    ITV & bbc player

I have Plex, love it, use it every day, had Emby before, loved it too, but how do I get in in an Emby server again....

The one I'm with now (Plex) is pinned to my machine, I've access to 4 servers, an absolute tonne of content.

Pm if you wish. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Armitage Shanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Please don't ask for PM's on the thread guys, send a PM and ask

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

On the gaming side get RetroX for games emulation (not free but worth every cent). Not in the play store, you'll have to side load.
    http://www.retrox.tv/
    RetroX

Also check out the different gaming options in the Nvidia app. You have native Android games, GeforceNow included (these are all free), GeforceNow featured (play Steam and Uplay pc games) and Gamestream to stream from your PC if you have a Nvidia gpu

Anyone tried the Happychick APK game emulator on the Shield yet? - https://happy-chick.en.uptodown.com/android

Anyone tried the Happychick APK game emulator on the Shield yet? - https://happy-chick.en.uptodown.com/android

Yes I have a brief memory of trying it, and it was utter crap in comparison with retrox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Guys, straight of the back of the mega drive thread on after hours, I've had a sudden impulse to revisit a load of retro multiplayer games.

Only problem is that I have only one shield controller, though I have a few Xbox 360 controllers lying around.

Am I right in thinking that all I need to get these to pair with the shield are usb wireless adapters?

The likes of this for example?

Edit, I have a dongle in the press from an air mouse I use to use, would this do the same job I wonder?

You need a dongle for 360 controllers and the older xbox one controllers. The newest models switched to Bluetooth. Don't think you'll be able to use the old mouse dongle.
    Xbox one controllers are possibly the best going. If you're going to be using it a lot I'd probably invest. Or you could look at the 8bitdo controllers for something cheaper. They're quite good and have that retro look.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I tried to connect my xbox one controller over the Christmas without luck. In fairness I tried twice then got distracted but wondering am I doing something small wrong. I searched under bluetooth devices on the shield and the controller showed up bit it said failed to connect after a few seconds .

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tonkpills

I tried to connect my xbox one controller over the Christmas without luck. In fairness I tried twice then got distracted but wondering am I doing something small wrong. I searched under bluetooth devices on the shield and the controller showed up bit it said failed to connect after a few seconds .

Keep clicking retry, it took me a few attempts to do it then it eventually paired. Works perfectly but then you have to repair to the xbox again afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Anyone have RTE player working on their Shield? We had to use a laptop to play a previously aired show. I heard you can sideload it and then use a mouse app?

Anyone have RTE player working on their Shield? We had to use a laptop to play a previously aired show. I heard you can sideload it and then use a mouse app?

There's a new one in the play store with full Android TV support

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

What App are people using for m3u files?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

There's a new one in the play store with full Android TV support

Wasn't aware of this, thank you.

The regular Android one has Chromecast now too, as an alternative means

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

tonkpills wrote: »
    Keep clicking retry, it took me a few attempts to do it then it eventually paired. Works perfectly but then you have to repair to the xbox again afterwards.

Cheers. I'll give it a go.

The young lad got an elite controller for Christmas and already had 2 controllers so I was thinking of stealing his 2nd one for my xbox anyway . I can have one floater controller for my own :)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭setanta1000

I'm having terrible trouble connecting/mounting my ZyXel 2TB NAS NSA310 to my Shield as network storage. After I mount it it stays connected for a few minutes (I can access and run content from it via Plex Media Server on the shield) but shortly afterwards the content stops running, I get an error basically saying the file is not accessible and when I check the Shield settings it's no longer mounted as network storage.

I can see the NAS via File Explorer on the home network no problem and access and play content from it via my Win 10 Laptop over WiFi. The Shield is connected to it via Ethernet it's not a WiFi issue.

Anyone had this problem and have a solution?

Hi Je Suis Jean - did you manage to get your setup to stabilise?

If so what was the issue?

I have the same NAS and was thinking about getting a Shield to play Plex without need for transcoding on the NAS. (Also latest Plex release needs PMS version that Zyxel cannot handle so my Plex is no longer working :mad: )

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Usually this is the type of issue I'd be offering advice on but for some reason I am currently completely stuck :(

Sharing an Enigma2 tuner to my shield via the vu+ plugin.
    Can access the channel list and populate the EPG but when I select any channel it just displays the play icon for a second, but loads no stream.

Now the Vu+ plugin is flaky enough on Kodi 17+ and I used to workaround this by sharing my Enigma2 bouquet as an IPTV playlist...
    Thing is,
    For the life of me I cannot remember how I used to do that.
    Anyone any ideas?

I use Dream player for Android TV, it works very well and it even has homescreen channels
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.cyberdream.dreamepg.tv.player

What App are people using for m3u files?

IPTV Pro. Tried PP for a long time then had StbEmu for a long time but love the start up speed and GUI of IPTV Pro, it seems like it was specifically designed for large flat screen TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Brian2208

Hi,
    I downloaded RTE player from the play store. It's working fine, been rewatching love/hate but I can't watch live tv like I can on the mobile phone app.

Is it possible to side load a version of the player that has the live tv feature?

Brian2208 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I downloaded RTE player from the play store. It's working fine, been rewatching love/hate but I can't watch live tv like I can on the mobile phone app.

Is it possible to side load a version of the player that has the live tv feature?

Slightly off topic, but I have a mate with an LG smart TV (I have a Samsung) who tells me the app for rte on his smart TV doesn't have a live TV option either, yet mine does.

I wrongly assumed it would have been the same app with the same functionality across the board.

Slightly off topic, but I have a mate with an LG smart TV (I have a Samsung) who tells me the app for rte on his smart TV doesn't have a live TV option either, yet mine does.

I wrongly assumed it would have been the same app with the same functionality across the board.

There is no universal standard among smart TVs and support for them is very dependent on the TV manufacturer not the app developer

• Advertisement

There is no universal standard among smart TVs and support for them is very dependent on the TV manufacturer not the app developer

Yeah - I found that out via the app conundrum.

I also found out that smart TVs are just a handy tag to place on something in order to part some extra cash from the purchaser.

Before the shield, I had s Chromecast that I think cost me 25stg connected to my non smart TV in the sitting room (still own it to this day)

I have a smart TV in the bedroom.

There was absolutely nothing that the TV downstairs couldn't do via the Chromecast/firestick that the smart TV upstairs could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Sorry maybe not the right thread but I tried to pay for RetroX but it's been a nightmare. I was directed to pay via Amazon Pay which I did. I got a receipt from Amazon. But no activation code. Now I see on RetroX website they they are not issuing any more activation codes and they are in the process of moving over to Google Play store for payment. I emailed them twice since my payment was processed but they are not answering :( . Two days since I paid now and nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

AllForIt wrote: »
    Sorry maybe not the right thread but I tried to pay for RetroX but it's been a nightmare. I was directed to pay via Amazon Pay which I did. I got a receipt from Amazon. But no activation code. Now I see on RetroX website they are not issuing any more activation codes and they are in the process of moving over to Google Play store for payment. I emailed them twice since my payment was processed but they are not answering :( . Two days since I paid now and nothing.

Your best bet, in that case, would be to get in touch with the support section of Amazon pay if it's true that what they say on their website I don't see why you shouldn't get a refund as they are unable to deliver the product that you paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Is RetroX genuinely any better than Retroarch or any of the other free emulators available??
    The dolphin emulator ain't great tho. Not sure is it the settings I'm trying to run on tho.

The developer of RetroX is off at the moment suffering from a detached retina and is not dealing with any issues or returning emails. His name is Franco Catrin, you will find him on the Retromania group on Facebook. He's decent, responds direct to any issues on the group.

https://www.facebook.com/franco.catrin

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jolter

can anyone tell me the best place to buy the nvidia shield please

jolter wrote: »
    can anyone tell me the best place to buy the nvidia shield please

Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I use Dream player for Android TV, it works very well and it even has homescreen channels
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.cyberdream.dreamepg.tv.player

No joy with this either.
    The app loads fine, accepts the box details and downloads the Picon, Bouquets and EPG data (Same as in Kodi)
    But when I try and open a stream it just gives me an error message "Video cannot be played" message with an error code of "MP state 6"

Settings on the E2 box for streaming are correct as are the config settings in both Kodi and Dream Player but in each case, no streaming.

I'm starting to think it may be an issue with the E2 image in use and will update when/if I get to the bottom of it.

Hi Je Suis Jean - did you manage to get your setup to stabilise?

If so what was the issue?

Yes, eventually.

I moved the NAS from being directly wired into the WiFi router to being wired (with a different Ethernet cable) to an Ethernet hub/switch which in turn is wired directly to the WiFi router and it's now been stable for almost a week.

There are two possibilities:-

1. The port on the WiFi router the NAS was connecting directly to is knackered

or

2. The cable I was using to connect the NAS to the WiFi router was knackered.
    I have the same NAS and was thinking about getting a Shield to play Plex without need for transcoding on the NAS. (Also latest Plex release needs PMS version that Zyxel cannot handle so my Plex is no longer working :mad: )

I spent a good bit of time on both Shield and Plex forums over the last week and the consensus was that running PMS from a NAS is ok but if you're going to have a Shield anyway then using the processing power of the Shield to run PMS and just let the NAS be a simple content source is the way to go.

The ZyXel NSA310 was a value for money device back in 2012 when I got it and in theory it could run PMS but always struggled from what I read.

One thing to note is that the latest firmware for the Shield caused a lot of LAN connection issues generally and there has been a lot of feedback to NVIDIA who have acknowledged the problems (unable to connect devices, long 10 minute delays recognising devices, intermittent disconnections like I experienced etc) and have an updated firmware in beta designed to address the issues. It's due out in a few days apparently so all should be good and stable very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭setanta1000

Yes, eventually.

I spent a good bit of time on both Shield and Plex forums over the last week and the consensus was that running PMS from a NAS is ok but if you're going to have a Shield anyway then using the processing power of the Shield to run PMS and just let the NAS be a simple content source is the way to go.

The ZyXel NSA310 was a value for money device back in 2012 when I got it and in theory it could run PMS but always struggled from what I read.

Cheers - thanks for the update, glad you got sorted and all working now.

Re running PMS on a NAS - I agree it's ok, and have used it successfully for the last 4/5 years running through a Roku 3 but Plex have recently upgraded their Roku App and mandate that the latest version (v2.x.x I think !)of PMS must be installed on the NAS - the Zyxel doesn't like any version of PMS past 1.01 :(

Advertisement