Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

.ak wrote: »
    Actually I reckon Darce would be next in line in the 23. He was stepping in as first receiver last week a lot too.

Yeah maybe. To be honest, both Gopperth and Madigan getting injured is not something I want to contemplate too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Sorry, but going back to the last thread with the greatest players from the pro era, and saw a post from Buer:
    Hard to leave out guys like Dempsey, Gleeson, Hickie, Matt Leek, Costello and Corrigan but there you go.

Matt Leek? Seriously? Ahead of Christian Warner or Nathan Spooner?
    A very average player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Heroditas wrote: »
    Sorry, but going back to the last thread with the greatest players from the pro era, and saw a post from Buer:

A very average player.

:eek: Can't believe he's ahead of Eddie Hekenui myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

A very average player.

IT'S ABOUT F*CKING TIME!

I think it hurt me that everyone sort of just accepted I'd list him there....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Buer wrote: »
    IT'S ABOUT F*CKING TIME!

I think it hurt me that everyone sort of just accepted I'd list him there....

I just thought it was one of those weird Buer things, best not to bring those sorts of things up

• Advertisement

I do have form.

Matt Leek is the thinking man's Eddie Hekenui.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

So, you're admittedly trolling..?

Trolling is such a vulgar term.

I prefer to say forum manipulation.

Please don't ban me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Go on so, worst Leinster XVs to keep us entertained till team announcement.....

Not to back seat moderate or anything but I think you know what you need to do.

PF-red-card_1291554c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Principal Skinner

The back 3 should be

15: Nacewa
    14: Horgan
    11: Hickie

That is some attacking back 3, I would give my right arm to see them playing now

Not to back seat moderate or anything but I think you know what you need to do.

PF-red-card_1291554c.jpg

That's very accurate, I actually blow a whistle whenever I infract people.

The back 3 should be

15: Nacewa
    14: Horgan
    11: Hickie

That is some attacking back 3, I would give my right arm to see them playing now

For me it's Fitzgerald, Hickie and Nacewa.

Fitzgerald on his pomp is the best back we've ever produced outside of BOD imo. I think because of his youth and injury record he probably gets left out of these sort of teams tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

^ Red card man looks a lot like Leighton Hodges before the beard.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Interesting.

Erm..I mean

Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

A very average player.

If we are going back that far.

I can't believe everyone (or almost everyone) included Cullen and left out Hines.

If we were going on overall services to the province them maybe, but seriously Hines was a much better player.

MOK and Hines in the second row for me.

Worst team could be fun....will be incredibly harsh on one or two people though.

David McAllister, Brendan Burke, Johnny Hepworth, Matt Leek, John McWeeney (because of that game against Biarritz), Eddie Hekenui, Chris Keane, Aidan Kearney, Owen Finnegan, Des Dillon (for being a huge waste of talent) Ed O'Donoghue, Steven Sykes, Fosi Pala'amo, Harry Vermass, Juan Gomez

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Worst team could be fun....will be incredibly harsh on one or two people though.

David McAllister, Brendan Burke, Johnny Hepworth, Matt Leek, John McWeeney (because of that game against Biarritz), Eddie Hekenui, Chris Keane, Aidan Kearney, Owen Finnegan, Des Dillon (for being a huge waste of talent) Ed O'Donoghue, Steven Sykes, Fosi Pala'amo, Harry Vermass, Juan Gomez

One of the difficulties working out a worst team is that very often the worst players barely had a look in. Anyone remember Tony Goldfinch?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

padser wrote: »

I can't believe everyone (or almost everyone) included Cullen and left out Hines.

If we were going on overall services to the province them maybe, but seriously Hines was a much better player.

Good Lord you're right. I totally forgot about Hines. :eek:

Excuse me while I flog myself for my sins.

padser wrote: »

I don't know if Hines was a better player and he certainly wasn't a "much" better player, but Leinster wouldn't have been a shadow of what they were without Cullen. Thorn was a better player than either of them but that's not really what we're discussing. Leo for me every day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Shiver....not sure we need to re-visit some of that car crash stuff.

Ah you'd need parameters on it though. Like, can you really compare the failure of world-cup winner Owen Finegan to the non-success of journeymen nobodies like Matt Leek or Harry Vermaas? Otherwise it's just a competition to see who can remember the most obscure names.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ah you'd need parameters on it though. Like, can you really compare the failure of world-cup winner Owen Finegan to the non-success of journeymen nobodies like Matt Leek or Harry Vermaas? Otherwise it's just a competition to see who can remember the most obscure names.

And what about the likes of Sean McCarthy who was signed but has never (and almost certainly will never) play for the seniors? I think there's a difference between the most disappointing and the worst that should be made.

He's still living off his SCT medal.

Scored 100% of the final's points single-handedly.

With one score.

Clearlier wrote: »
    One of the difficulties working out a worst team is that very often the worst players barely had a look in. Anyone remember Tony Goldfinch?

It tends to be the way, alright. But in a number of cases, they didn't get much of a look in because they simply were so bad in their appearances (Pala'amo, Vermass, Gomez, Hepworth etc.)

There are guys in my selection that are there simply because they were the worst we had, in my opinion, but were actually not bad players. Chris Keane had a good pro career but we never really had very bad scrum halves (or very good).

The wingers are probably the hardest done by. McWeeney is always remembered harshly but he picked up an international start against NZ at 21 years old. He just faded and quit when he was very young. Burke would be fondly remembered if he played elsewhere. We just had incredibly strong wing options for most of the professional era.

And, no, not a clue about Tony Goldfinch! 5'5"?! I'm assuming he wasn't the greatest?

Yeah, I wouldn't select anyone who just had a couple of caps. That would be silly. I think people would remember all of the names I went with. McAllister is possibly the least recognisable; the back 3 was tricky.

Similarly, I wouldn't consider BT for our greatest side.

No Clint???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭LostArt

He's still living off his SCT medal.

Scored 100% of the final's points single-handedly.

With one score.

Was just talking about that game this morning :)

ClintNewland_LeinstertrainingpreDragons_rdax_365x365_80.jpg

• Advertisement

I don't know if Hines was a better player and he certainly wasn't a "much" better player, but Leinster wouldn't have been a shadow of what they were without Cullen. Thorn was a better player than either of them but that's not really what we're discussing. Leo for me every day of the week.

I said if we are talking about overall contribution over a number of years I can live with Cullen over Hines but I had thought we were talking about greatest XV ie best XV we could put on a pitch.

Yeah I thought about Thorn and he was immense but I think Hines was up there with him. No question for me the three locks (2 starting, 1 benching) would be Hines, Thorn and MOK.

In terms of playing ability, at their peak for Leinster, we can argue about what the "much" means in "much better" but ten times out of ten, you pick Hines over Cullen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement