Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

US Open 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

sxt wrote: »
    Will the same media be asking questions of Federer when he is in his early forties and reaching finals?

Indeed. How on earth is a 38 year old Fed beating a 33 year old Nadal...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

walshb wrote: »
    Indeed. How on earth is a 38 year old Fed beating a 33 year old Nadal...

Beats me. 5 or 6 years ago Federer just could not physically compete with Nadal or any of the top guys in a gruelling long match, now he can
    Beating nishikori, Nadal and djkovic in the quarters, semis and final would have been one of the most impressive feat in tennis. The three fitness guys on tour

sxt wrote: »
    Beats me. 5 or 6 years ago Federer just could not physically compete with Nadal or any of the top guys in a gruelling long match, now he can
    Beating nishikori, Nadal and djkovic in the quarters, semis and final would have been one of the most impressive feat in tennis. The three fitness guys on tour

Yes, but god forbid you questioned RF the way some question Nole and Nadal...

Btw, I question none of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

walshb wrote: »
    Yes, but god forbid you questioned RF the way some question Nole and Nadal...

Btw, I question none of them!

Yes . I think you pointed that out well in the Wimbledon thread, about the hypocrisy of people accusing Nadal and djkovic but not Federer.

If people want to scrutnize Nadal and djkovic than they most scrutinise federer equally

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Medvedev looking good so far. Two sets up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Don't think he's played that great. His serve has been off, although he's growing into the match now. I don't think he'd take a set off Nadal playing like this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

He has the break in the third now.

Him against Nadal would be a good final.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Serious choke from Berretini there. Nadal not looking great. Medvedev has a chance in the final if he keeps to this level.

Is there some sort of rule that Rusedski has to commentate on all Nadal matches or something! He makes me want to stop watching tennis!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Medvedev has a huge chance and if it wasn't Nadal, I'd want him to do it. Would be great to see him stick it to the yank crowd and also to challenge the rest of the next generation to step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

Medvedev has 0 chance, he was baggelled by Nadal a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Nadal has had some soft run to the final ,he hasn't played one player ranked in the top 20 and avoided any dangerous high ranked players too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Medvedev has 0 chance, he was baggelled by Nadal a few weeks ago.

Of course he has a chance and has been, along with Nadal, the best player in the world since Wimbledon. He made three finals before the US, won one of them and has marched to the final here. He's dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

Of course he has a chance and has been, along with Nadal, the best player in the world since Wimbledon. He made three finals before the US, won one of them and has marched to the final here. He's dangerous.

and Nadal bet him 6/3 6/0.

It will be 3/0, maybe Medvedev wins 4 games.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Medvedev has played a lot of tennis this Summer, it'll catch up with him big time in the final imo. Wouldn't be surprised to see bakery products tbh.

The women's final is very difficult to call, I think a lot of it depends on Serena's nerves. If she's as nervous and sloppy as the Wimbledon final then I expect Bianca to take full advantage. If she can bring her A game then she's winning. Will be rooting for Andreescu though, her surge up the rankings this year has been incredible. Winning the US Open on her debut would be an incredible stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Bit surprised Williams is such a strong bookies favourite here. Experience in her favour, of course, but think the short odds are a reflection of reputation rather than recent performances. Long as Andreescu holds her nerve, am giving her a serious chance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Williams to win in 3 sets and equal the all time record.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Is Radio 5 Live available anywhere hear?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

All a little bit hit and hope from Williams so far, not gonna be lot of long rallies by the looks of things. Not sure have ever seen her family members looking so fraught.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

splinter65 wrote: »
    Is Radio 5 Live available anywhere hear?

I have a free to air satellite box and it is on channel 705.

Williams yet again freezing in a final .
    She needs to sort her nerves out as she is turning into Mary Pierce .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Williams yet again freezing in a final .
    She needs to sort her nerves out as she is turning into Mary Pierce .

Not over until the fat lady sings 😀

Medvedev has played a lot of tennis this Summer, it'll catch up with him big time in the final imo.
    Ah, he is a very young man of. You can get away with that kind of thing at his age. Now, if it was Nadal playing all that tennis then I would agree on account of his age (hence why he is selective), but I would expect a professional athlete like Medvedev to be a Duracell bunny.
    The women's final is very difficult to call, I think a lot of it depends on Serena's nerves. If she's as nervous and sloppy as the Wimbledon final then I expect Bianca to take full advantage. If she can bring her A game then she's winning. Will be rooting for Andreescu though, her surge up the rankings this year has been incredible. Winning the US Open on her debut would be an incredible stat.
    As I type Serena is a break down in the second and hitting lots of unforced errors. I think she has played better the past two weeks than she has in the slams over the past year. There is still time for her to fight her way back, but her coaching staff must be looking at how she can breeze into slam finals without breaking a sweat, and then come a cropper against players she probably would beat if she was playing in any way like she did in the previous rounds.

For her, the psychological part really is the toughest. The more slam opportunities that pass her by, the more unattainable it will appear.

That said, she has just broken back in the second so anything can happen from here.

A set and 3-1 down in the second,not looking good,sounds like she is very nervous.

A set and 4-1 down. Please God, let it happen

Happy4all wrote: »
    Not over until the fat lady sings ��

Williams is playing rubbish ,her worst match by far of the tournament.

Sad to see her losing badly to a player she should be walloping easily in straight sets.

Williams is playing rubbish ,her worst match by far of the tournament.

Sad to see her losing badly to a player she should be walloping easily in straight sets.

Personally, would be glad to see her lose.

Probably time for Serena to seriously consider retirement if or should I say when she loses this final.

Serena has to go down as one of the flakiest and most inconsistent tennis greats..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,634 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Fight back is on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,634 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

She'll either level the set, or lose the lot.

Advertisement