Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Open 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Osaka backed it up to be fair, before beginning her slump.

Osaka's slump seems to have coincided with the sacking of her coach after the Australian open. Wonder if there is something else going on there.

Its great to see the next gen ladies coming through and winning. Serena struggles with players who have power games like Osaka and Andresscu and these players have no fear of her. Svitolina beat herself the other losing 10 game points and standing way too far back cost her. Maybe nerves got to her and hopefully she will learn from it.

Women's tennis could be great over the next few years if halep,osaka, Andresscu, Barty and a couple of others can get their heads right and get the consistency in their games we could see these players build up a great rivalry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Sharapova, Cathy McNally, Karolina Muchova, Petra Martic, Qiang Wang, Svitolina.

That's who Williams beat to reach the final, clearly that to me is as weak a run in as you could possibly manufacture on such a run. Way the draw works sometimes. Andreescu may have been pretty much nowhere this time last year, but she'd won in Toronto and Indian Wells and her potential was fairly apparent going into last night, it wasn't any kind of big upset. Would wager Osaka's win last year was more of a surprise.

Can she now back it up? Only time will tell. I thought barty might keep the momentum going after paris but obviously was mistaken on that. I do really like the look of Andreescu so i'd definitely be staying on her side.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I didn’t see any matches at this slam, but was her final play in any way similar to the 6 matches before it?

Watching her at SW19 final two months ago you would think she was a novice..

But she still made it to the finals...

I thought Svitolina was awful in her semi final against Serena, maybe it was nerves or she was intimidated by Serena, which i think most of the older players are, but to have 10 game points at the start of the match and not take any destroyed her. It was disappointing to see for Serena to win a slam she is going to need a tough section to come through.

In saying that Serena did pick Andresscu out at the start of the tournament as the biggest threat. Hopefully Andresscu can back this up now. Probably a good slam to win because of the break between the end of this and Australia. Still though winning Indian wells from nowhere and then a win at Toronto show this girl has the game to compete and is not a flash in a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

With Svitolina i guess you can say she is getting closer, but man, it is tortuous progress with her, its like she makes a few qs, then its sfs and next thing it will have to be finals and lose a few before she finally falls over the line. Its a bit disappointing, same as Pliskova who looks to me to have all the ingredients to be a No.1, multi slam winner, except the mental toughness needed to be a champion. Was very pleased with Bencic last week, not the most fearsome game around, but she's tough and still only 22 so will be backing her to win a slam next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

walshb wrote: »
    I didn’t see any matches at this slam, but was her final play in any way similar to the 6 matches before it?

No,it wasnt .
    She played well in the semi final I saw ,was moving well ,hitting the ball and mixing up her shots .

She simply played terrible tennis in the final .
    She was broken three times in 46 services games at the Open before the final.
    In the final she was broken 6 times.

She only got 44% of first serves in, made 8 double faults ,alot on game point
    and won a pathetic 30% of points on second serve.
    She was all nerves ,you could see the tension etched across her face ,she froze .
    Her shot choice was poor ,she wasnt moving well ,she was forcing ,and the body language was awful.

Andreescu played well but thats all she had to do against an opponent who imploded yet again in a final.

What Hantuchova said before the match was very interesting.
    Tension is high between Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou ahead of the US Open final, according to Daniela Hantuchova.
    “There has not been one word said between Serena and her coach so a very tense atmosphere,” Hantuchova told Amazon Prime.
    "You can just feel a little bit of nerves on Serena."
    “This is the day she has worked so hard for throughout the tournament.
    “She had that business look over the last five days but today there is a little bit of nerves in it as well.
    Nerves could well be the reason for Williams’ intense focus ahead of the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

With Svitolina i guess you can say she is getting closer, but man, it is tortuous progress with her, its like she makes a few qs, then its sfs and next thing it will have to be finals and lose a few before she finally falls over the line. Its a bit disappointing, same as Pliskova who looks to me to have all the ingredients to be a No.1, multi slam winner, except the mental toughness needed to be a champion. Was very pleased with Bencic last week, not the most fearsome game around, but she's tough and still only 22 so will be backing her to win a slam next season.

Bencic was very good to get to the semi but was hugely unimpressed with her at the big moments in the semi. She served great in set 1 and then in tie break ..no first serves.

She was up 2 breaks of serve in second set but blew it. She seemed to meltdown and try to pick a fight with the crowd,,,must have been great encouragement for Andreescu that.

Talent is there,,but like many girls..concerns over her mentally at the big moments.

I would not over analyse the draw to much, it was soft as it was for her last few runs to a slam final. Heck you could say the old guard have had easy runs to slam final in the men also.

Its the fault of the next generation for not really stepping up,,,which means the old guard will be very much in contention next year for slams.

The next gen of ladies are stepping up more than the men are. You have Osaka and now Andresscu winning slams and others like bencic and svitolina getting to the latter stages of competitions. You don't see that in the mens

Floppybits wrote: »
    The next gen of ladies are stepping up more than the men are. You have Osaka and now Andresscu winning slams and others like bencic and svitolina getting to the latter stages of competitions. You don't see that in the mens

The standard in the womens tennis is much lower than the mens .
    You have 3 of the best tennis players of all time still dominating .

In the womens you have Serena Williams and thats it.
    Much easier for upcoming talent to break through .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

3 games all in the first set of the men`s final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

Both serves been broken already, will be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 35,679 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Close match, all even

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Medvedev is playing v well, Nadal level is probably not as high as expected. Match will not be the trouncing some predicted though, nice and competitive so far

Nadal takes the first set 7-5.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,679 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Nadal just clicked up a gear

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

An outstanding forehand winner from Nadal in the last game. It's going to be an uphill battle for Medvedev now.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

I can see it but cant hear it, are the crowd very pro Nadal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

lostcat wrote: »
    I can see it but can hear it, are the crowd very pro Nadal?
    Wouldn't say "very" pro. They are definitely in camp Nadal, but also want a match I'd imagine - so are also cheering Medvedevs shots

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The US Open crowd have largely forgiven Medvedev.

Nadals going to win this by just being very solid, Medvedev is going to feel like he has to go for more as things progress and will give up too many errors..

• Advertisement

mzungu wrote: »
    The US Open crowd have largely forgiven Medvedev.
    nice of them, they still haven't forgiven Djokovic after 8 years!

I like the look of Medvedev, he looks like he is trying to chop down a tree with a single swipe on most shots

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

nice of them, they still haven't forgiven Djokovic after 8 years!

The crowd at Roland Garros are noted for being quite unforgiving, but the US crowd can be every bit as bad.

Nadal a break up.

Nadal 2 sets up without having to do anything outlandish, time for bed...

Nadal wins the second set 6-3. Looks like a foregone conclusion now.

Nadal 2 sets up without having to do anything outlandish, time for bed...

He had a stroll through the tournament ,never get a kinder draw.

Time for sleep. It would be good to see Medvedev make a match of it, but it looks like Rafa will get himself another slam.

Medvedev hasn't given up yet. Broken back in the 3rd.

• Advertisement

Medvedev wins the 3rd, anyone still up? :)

Advertisement