Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPDATED FOR 2015- IEC FAQ Thread - please read here first and ask any questions here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

It is valid for 2 year from 'activation' so 2 years from when you first arrive in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 drunkenhobo

When can I create the IEC Kompass account?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 finlayspub1

Hi Guys
    Iv been offered a job starting on the 21st april this year , i thought the IEC would be open but no sign yet . question is will i have enough time to spare with processing etc ??

• Registered Users Posts: 28 treefiddy

Hi I am heading to Canada in march where can I get cheap 2 year health insurance, any the sites I checked dont do two years

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

treefiddy wrote: »
    Hi I am heading to Canada in march where can I get cheap 2 year health insurance, any the sites I checked dont do two years

http://www.go4less.ie/insurance/index_canada.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Karlos_Macca

Hi, great forum and information here.

I was wondering if my current residence is Australia, am I still allowed to apply? I've lived here for a few years, and so was under 18 for all my time back home in Ireland (no eligible to apply from Aus, as not citizen, or been here long enough). I came out with the family when I was 16. I will though be returning in a month to move back, but that may be too late.

Also....if I am eligible, for how long can a Police/Garda Clearance be valid. If I applied now, I don't want it to be out of date by the time the dates open.

Hi, great forum and information here.

I was wondering if my current residence is Australia, am I still allowed to apply? I've lived here for a few years, and so was under 18 for all my time back home in Ireland (no eligible to apply from Aus, as not citizen, or been here long enough). I came out with the family when I was 16. I will though be returning in a month to move back, but that may be too late.

just to clarify are you an irish citizen?

gary27 wrote: »
    just to clarify are you an irish citizen?

I am. Born in Ireland. Left for Australia with the folks when I was 16. Just finished Uni over here, and was heading back to Ireland, but as i'm now a qualified Geologist, I thought I might check out Canada for work. But i've never been a "resident" in Ireland over the age of 18 apart from multiple holidays.

I am. Born in Ireland. Left for Australia with the folks when I was 16. Just finished Uni over here, and was heading back to Ireland, but as i'm now a qualified Geologist, I thought I might check out Canada for work. But i've never been a "resident" in Ireland over the age of 18 apart from multiple holidays.

Do you have an irish passport?
    if not maybe this link might help;
    https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/how-to-apply-for-a-passport/australia/

• Advertisement

gary27 wrote: »
    Do you have an irish passport?
    if not maybe this link might help;
    https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/how-to-apply-for-a-passport/australia/

Yeah I have a passport. If the application period opens before I move back to Ireland, I guess I can just use a family members address for my residence? And i'm assuming a Garda clearance isnt needed as I was 16 and under when living in Ireland.

Yeah I have a passport. If the application period opens before I move back to Ireland, I guess I can just use a family members address for my residence? And i'm assuming a Garda clearance isnt needed as I was 16 and under when living in Ireland.

I would get a garda cert anyway not sure about the being under 16 and everybody applying for the iec visa will be getting a cert and one for every country you lived in for 6months or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 treefiddy

Does anyone know if I can fly to USA and then cross into Canada and activate my iec visa at the border crossing?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Yes Tree you can do that I believe!

Folks any idea when the IEC is opening ??? its panic stations now

Fin, seriously read the other thread above this. Nobody knows anything. I mean NOBODY. Just keep waiting like the rest of us!

just i have a frickin job there , thats all . sorry lads

When's your visa up?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

''13. What format should the documents be in?

PDF or a Word document for your passport, PDF or JPG for your passport''

Is it ok to submit a two page police cert as JPEG or does it have to be PDF? I don't know how to scan two seperate pages and save into one PDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 myfriendtom

Can anyone tell me what the overall cost of the visa is? After charges etc but not including your flights or insurance.
    Thanks!

• Advertisement

About £80 or €100!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 myfriendtom

EI-DOR wrote: »
    About £80 or €100!

Good stuff, thought it would be more!
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toronto

Not including the $2,500 you need in your bank account right before you leave, of course. One might consider that part of the cost..

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ravingitup

Is it for certain that we can pay using visa debit cards and the like, or is that a given?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 chocpeanuts

Hi I think a similar query to this may have been answered above but my passport runs out in March 2015, so there is not even a year left on it. Will this be ok to apply to stage one with?

Also is it best to apply for a garda clearance cert now? Is there an expiry date beyond which it cannot be used?

Finally is it definitely just the passport and resume uploads that you need for stage one, you dont need a picture or anything like that?

Thanks for any help, I just want to make sure I am prepared!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Just wondering if anyone knows what time on Thursday the IEC will be open? I'm on work all day and don't know if I'll be able to keep it together or want to risk waiting til 7pm to get the process started!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Just wondering if anyone knows what time on Thursday the IEC will be open? I'm on work all day and don't know if I'll be able to keep it together or want to risk waiting til 7pm to get the process started!

Probably 15:00. But all you should need to do is click "submit", so no real panic hopefully!
    Create you kompass account and fill in all your details on Tuesday, then simply submit on Thursday when the WH visa opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

GrumPy wrote: »
    Probably 15:00. But all you should need to do is click "submit", so no real panic hopefully!
    Create you kompass account and fill in all your details on Tuesday, then simply submit on Thursday when the WH visa opens.

Ooh I didn't realise I could do that?! That takes the heat off then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 whatabother

This is probably frowned upon but....
    Does anyone know if you get past stage 1, and into stage 2 (which i believe gives you a few months to get in all your documents etc), can you then pull out without ruining your chances of a future application.
    The reason I ask is I'm waiting to hear back about a job; if I get it, great. If not, I'm outty! But I don't want to ruin my chances completely, as I do definately want to go to Canada at some stage in the future, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This is probably frowned upon but....
    Does anyone know if you get past stage 1, and into stage 2 (which i believe gives you a few months to get in all your documents etc), can you then pull out without ruining your chances of a future application.
    The reason I ask is I'm waiting to hear back about a job; if I get it, great. If not, I'm outty! But I don't want to ruin my chances completely, as I do definately want to go to Canada at some stage in the future, cheers.

As long as you pull out before completing stage 2, you can apply again in the future. From the first post FAQ:
    19. If I am assigned an IEC spot and issued a Letter of Introduction but do not use it, will I get back the participation fee? May I apply again in other years?

Fees are non-refundable once the Letter of Introduction is issued. As well, each individual may participate in the IEC initiative only once. You are deemed a participant once you are issued a Letter of Introduction.

Advertisement