Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

meganj wrote: »
    Can't believe Riverside is closed :eek: I'm aware it was awhile ago, but still :eek: Myself and the OH went there for breakfast (nomnom pancakes) but it got very poor and we stopped going.

Also the dry cleaners that used to be downstairs in MM is now in Tesco, which is weird because there's two dry cleaners down that way now.

I believe the Manor Mills one was only a branch of the one at Tesco and that it *is* the cleaners that's always been there; just rebranded.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

MYOB wrote: »
    I believe the Manor Mills one was only a branch of the one at Tesco and that it *is* the cleaners that's always been there; just rebranded.

I'm confused... Carlton Dry Cleaners in the bank of the Old Shops at Tesco is still there and called the same as far as I know.

Then the one in MM is now actually in Tesco in one of their mini shops.

So there's two dry cleaners in roughly the same complex, if they're the same company it makes even less sense for them to move to the same area. Either way I now have to bring my dry cleaning down the mainstreet... OH THE HORROR!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I stand corrected in that case. Thought the one in the old unit had become Jacksons; haven't seen the Jacksons in the new block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

meganj wrote: »
    Either way I now have to bring my dry cleaning down the mainstreet... OH THE HORROR!

www.whitewhine.com :p

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

I stand corrected in that case. Thought the one in the old unit had become Jacksons; haven't seen the Jacksons in the new block.

No :o It was my mistake... Sorry about that. Was down there yesterday. Although I firmly believe it makes even less sense to have two shops, owned by the same company stealing business from each other. But it might be working for them.
    Orion wrote: »

I have 99 problems, and dry-cleaning is one :D

• Advertisement

As far as I know at least two of the three O'Briens in the town are run by the same franchiser; it can make sense to duplicate some times. Stop the business from going to a rival, etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Where is the 3rd O'Briens?

Manor MIlls,Tesco Car park and ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭SQ2

NUIM Campus?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭liamo22

Manor Mills
    Tesco Car Park
    John Paul II Library, South Campus
    John Hume Building, North Campus
    Education House, North Campus

:)

Make that two of the five in that case! Only knew about the Hume building one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

if mantra keeps charging 5 something for a pint theyll be gone too.dublin city centre prices in kildare. Maynooth co. Kildare, not monaco.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭the_big_kahuna

df1985 wrote: »
    if mantra keeps charging 5 something for a pint theyll be gone too.dublin city centre prices in kildare. Maynooth co. Kildare, not monaco.

I know. Madness. €5.30 for a pint of guiness :eek: Needless to say, I told them where to go :) They seriously need to cop on

Dublin doesn't charge that anymore. O'Neills - 4.70. Long Stone 4.50 iirc. O'Reillys on a Friday - €3. Harbourmaster - 2 for 1. Pubs in Dublin cc are really feeling the pinch and prices have fallen as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

And their selection of beer is crap.

No Irish micro beers and no wheat beer.

Wakey, wakey folks, times have changed. :rolleyes:

They're already in examinership so "gone" isn't that far off, I suspect.

There's a higher amount of empty shop units in the town now than I can remember for quite some time, think the relative protection (from Intel/HP/the college/PS jobs) the town had from the worst of the recession is wearing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bird22

Actually Mohana was one of the best Indian restaurant, we regret its gone, we were coming from Dublin to have a geat dinner! was shoked that they closed

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭PBPumpkin

I see that another "chipshop" style takeaway has moved into where Lotus Chinese restaurant used to be - is there really room for yet another one of these in Maynooth - or even on the Main street?

Yeah I saw that. I was hoping for a decent Indian to open. Sticking with Delhi Darbar so.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Planning permission for another takeaway in the Greenfield shopping centre was turned down.
    There seem to be shops closing everywhere.

Pulse Accessories has closed and Click has moved over to their unit (smaller); and there is now a headstone shop at Greenfield. Odd choice, I have to say...

Whoever predicted on this thread that Budgies would close once the bigger pet shop opened was, unfortunately, proven right.

Those of us who've lived here too long and with long memories will remember that the first ever retail unit to go in where Lotus was, was actually a chipper-style place with seating (Mona Lisa, I think). Gone full circle!

• Advertisement

Headstones and fireplaces .

Pulse Accessories has closed and Click has moved over to their unit (smaller); and there is now a headstone shop at Greenfield. Odd choice, I have to say...

Whoever predicted on this thread that Budgies would close once the bigger pet shop opened was, unfortunately, proven right.

Those of us who've lived here too long and with long memories will remember that the first ever retail unit to go in where Lotus was, was actually a chipper-style place with seating (Mona Lisa, I think). Gone full circle!
    Just hope they didn't get stung too badly by having to close.
    I remember Mona Lisa too, the chips there used to hurt the roof of yer mouth they were so crispy! The state of that new place is rediculous, surely there must be some sort of planning regulation to keep some sort of decorum??
    I reckon they've missed a trick with that unit. Da Mario in celbridge, da Vinci and alvitos in leixlip would be a good model to follow for somewhere in maynooth... Casual walk in Italian restaurants that are reasonably priced good grub.

Click was pretty empty in last year and was moving out altogether, rent and rates must be hefty in there.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Headstones and fireplaces .
    "Were Here" brings a grin to my face every time... Where did they go to??
    Des Kelly in Sallins had "Were Cheaper" signs up for ages, felt like going in and asking why they put up their prices :)

SQ2 wrote: »
    I reckon they've missed a trick with that unit. Da Mario in celbridge, da Vinci and alvitos in leixlip would be a good model to follow for somewhere in maynooth... Casual walk in Italian restaurants that are reasonably priced good grub.

I've never had much of a problem with Donatello's for that in Maynooth, albeit its a little cramped.

A new dry cleaner has taken the carpark unit in Manor Mills and someone has rented the Halifax unit it appears - all the rental signs and much of the internals were gone from it today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

That shop has been there for a while now. Yes the drinks in Mantra are very expensive. Vodka & red bull 9.80? Feck that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Budgies came from Kilcock to Maynooth, and he's just gone back to his old shop in Kilcock. He's still doing deliveries to Maynooth as far as I know though.
    SQ2 wrote:
    "Were Here" brings a grin to my face every time... Where did they go to??

It's annoying me so much that I'm actually going to put a little apostrophe in there over the next night or so. Really sad, I know, but I live very close to it so it'll take 2 seconds, and it just irks me!!! :mad:

2 of the manor mills shop people told me the rents were hiked too much so they had no choice but to close .

Moonbeam wrote: »
    2 of the manor mills shop people told me the rents were hiked too much so they had no choice but to close .

That's a bit counter-productive on the part of the landlords seeing as they've somehow managed to keep the centre fairly full until now - especially compared to some other similar era centres around the country. Which shop(s) was this?

Takeaway was refused for Newtown Shopping Centre also, council seems fairly determined to keep their policy that there's enough in Maynooth. One of the units over there was a cafe before which might make permission on that specific unit easier to get but I think its currently the off-licence!

Big chain shops will end up there instead of small independent ones
    Same as every other shopping centre .

• Advertisement

SQ2 wrote: »

I've never had much of a problem with Donatello's for that in Maynooth, albeit its a little cramped.

A new dry cleaner has taken the carpark unit in Manor Mills and someone has rented the Halifax unit it appears - all the rental signs and much of the internals were gone from it today.

I do like the food there, but it is pretty cramped! You know what I mean though about the other 3 places? They feel a lot less formal but still have great food...

Advertisement