Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Building work going on where the quack-cave, sorry, Salt Cave was previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭SQ2

Fishmonger going in there, and a new shop looks like its opening where miami sun used to be... but in 1 step forward 3 steps back news, Maynooth lost The Mill Wine Cellar on Saturday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

That's a pity about the Mill Wine Cellar.
    Some sort of clothes shop where Halifax was in Manor Mills. Where Holland & Barrett is supposed to go is the only empty unit now I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

SQ2 wrote: »
    Fishmonger going in there, and a new shop looks like its opening where miami sun used to be... but in 1 step forward 3 steps back news, Maynooth lost The Mill Wine Cellar on Saturday :(
    Shame about the wine cellar. They sold some really nice wines.

Interesting about a fishmongers. hopefully we're moving towards a European model of real specialized shops instead of supermarkets selling the same old crap.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The possible h&b unit had some work underway on Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Staplor

Fishmongers is great news!!!

I'm told H&B will be up and running in the next 2 weeks "apparently" :rolleyes:

Work going on in the former Fireplaces unit at Greenfields S/C (not the current one, the one around the corner).

Add this to the work going on at the former solarium/butchers before that on main street and we're up to occupancy levels I doubt the town has seen since the boom.

By the looks of things from Google, H&B were recruiting for that store in the past week or so - came up while trying to find Barrett's opening times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

MYOB wrote: »
    Work going on in the former Fireplaces unit at Greenfields S/C (not the current one, the one around the corner).

I was told by an insider that Xtra Vision are expanding, which I find hard to believe, but if they are I'd say they'll knock back into this unit.

MYOB wrote: »

Add this to the work going on at the former solarium/butchers before that on main street and we're up to occupancy levels I doubt the town has seen since the boom.

By the looks of things from Google, H&B were recruiting for that store in the past week or so - came up while trying to find Barrett's opening times.[/Quote
    The solarium going to be a Vincent's charity shop... interesting choice to be made now whether to bring your clothes into the charity shop or the 50c per kilo place directly accross the road!

• Advertisement

Are SVP moving from Greenfield? Where they are it's handy enough when you've a load off stuff to unload from the car.

Is that red and yellow thing closed on main street? Haven't seen it open in a few days - even last night when falling out of Brady's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

Are SVP moving from Greenfield? Where they are it's handy enough when you've a load off stuff to unload from the car.

They can't be doing that well where they are now though? If they are moving to the main street they should get a lot more business.

Dunno, always seemed busy with any time I was there.
    Orion wrote: »
    Is that red and yellow thing closed on main street? Haven't seen it open in a few days - even last night when falling out of Brady's.

Not sure. There are no notices or posters of any description in the windows, which is a little odd.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It might be a 2nd svdp shop.
    I live beside greenfield shopping centre and have no idea where that other unit is? The svdp shop here seems pretty busy.

Oh hai wrote: »
    They can't be doing that well where they are now though? If they are moving to the main street they should get a lot more business.

But also next to impossible to drop stuff off if they do. That might suit them though - I've found the people there make you feel like they're doing you a favour when you bring in donations. So much so that I give anything I'm donating to Mrs Quinns now.

Really? I always find them very nice. Even when donating some stuff I'm sure they'd have trouble giving away.(Like over 100 issues of a Formula 1 magazine.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Drunk me hopped off the nitelink just now and thought 'I WILL find out what's happening in Greenfield's Shopping Centre' and sure enough I found a planning permission sign. It looks like Xtra Vision did have planning permission to extend back into the old fireplace shop, but now they want to change that and put a Chinese takeaway in there.

Also, SVdP are staying in Greenfield's but are opening a second shop on the mainstreet where the solarium was (apparently going to be a €1 & €2 shop).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

Drunk me hopped off the nitelink just now and thought 'I WILL find out what's happening in Greenfield's Shopping Centre' and sure enough I found a planning permission sign. It looks like Xtra Vision did have planning permission to extend back into the old fireplace shop, but now they want to change that and put a Chinese takeaway in there.

Also, SVdP are staying in Greenfield's but are opening a second shop on the mainstreet where the solarium was (apparently going to be a €1 & €2 shop).

LOL Good drunk work! :D

And another €2 type store? We have three! Better than what was there though at least. I don't have any experience of the SVDP shop but I hope the new one does well.

One day a cinema and Penney's will come here, one day!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Oh hai wrote: »
    LOL Good drunk work! :D

One day a cinema and Penney's will come here, one day!!!! :D

now thats crazy drink talk :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

I was told by an insider that Xtra Vision are expanding, which I find hard to believe, but if they are I'd say they'll knock back into this unit.

When the unit was vacated the supermarket took it over for more storage, that's not to say they've changed their plans though but I've heard nothing.

Highly doubt it, that shop is very busy, there does be more people in there than in some clothes shops in manor mills.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    It might be a 2nd svdp shop.
    I live beside greenfield shopping centre and have no idea where that other unit is?

Beside the SvP shop. Used to be Maynooth Fireplaces and sell some basic hardware, but they moved to the business campus.

The permission application to put a Chinese in there was refused (planning file 12/157). It was actually to build a new unit on the car parking, not in the space we're talking about here. Think they have permission to build a unit, just not for food usage. There probably won't be any more new food outlets in the town as the development plan has a hard cap on it.

From what I could see when they were working in there, they've bricked up a door that was in to Donovan's storage area. But I was just looking in while driving past.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is an ancient sign and the permission was refused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Any truth to the rumour of a comic store of sorts opening in maynooth soon?

I have not even hear that one.
    Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Thwip! wrote: »
    Any truth to the rumour of a comic store of sorts opening in maynooth soon?

As far as I know, "Gamers Hub" (Doctors Lane) can get in comics if you request. Dunno anything about a new store though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

There's a fishmongers now across the road from The Glenroyal. I think there used to be a physio in there before.

beertons wrote: »
    There's a fishmongers now across the road from The Glenroyal. I think there used to be a physio in there before.

Used to be a 'salt therapy' place that was closed down due to the doctor being found to have poor professional conduct by the Medical Council (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0201/1224311047256.html) and before that, an internet cafe/mobile phone shop.

I can remember where pretty much any shop in Maynooth has been back to the 1990s, for the life of me I don't know why :(

Looks like the red and yellow fast food "thing" has bit the dust alright, coverings up over the windows this morning. Pity really, the grub was actually alright there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I have not even hear that one.
    Where?

just found out

http://www.ht-comics.com/

Advertisement