Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Door frame pull up bar

Options
  • 11-09-2007 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

After getting some great resistance bands based on advice from here, I thought I'd throw you guys another question.

I'm looking for a pull up bar that does not require any screws and that can easily be taken off the door frame when I'm not using it.

http://www.ukfitnesssupplies.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/UKFitnessSuppliesLtd/POWERBAR/87345

Something like that would be perfect, but any products like that one which I find all come from the UK and have horrible shipping charges added on.

Any ideas where I could get one in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Nice looking unit, would have made one myself if I didnt already have a screw in one. A guy on ebay has one, email him and ask the cheapest postage. Usually ebay lads will have reasonable postage, while shops can be crazy money.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Powerbar-pullup-bar-chinning-pull-up-Amazing_W0QQitemZ180156277573QQihZ008QQcategoryZ28067QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This guy is more of a business seller.
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Powerbar-Professional-chin-pull-up-bar-chinning_W0QQitemZ130149862537QQihZ003QQcategoryZ1521QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Some of those things have a maximum weight you can be to use them. Check that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

I'm looking for a pull up bar that does not require any screws and that can easily be taken off the door frame when I'm not using it.

http://www.ukfitnesssupplies.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/UKFitnessSuppliesLtd/POWERBAR/87345

Something like that would be perfect, but any products like that one which I find all come from the UK and have horrible shipping charges added on.
    i so didnt know could get them :eek: i figured they would have to come with screws....go figure, if you find somewhere in dub that does them can you post it up please

jdivision wrote:
    Some of those things have a maximum weight you can be to use them. Check that out.
    The recommended weight limit for the Powerbar is 20 Stones, althought it has been tested with 30.

Quite a lot!, but I would believe it, the forces are distrubuted pretty well, I would have put padding on the bars where it touches the wall. You could probably make one from wood easy enough, non folding would be easier to make.

I might give it a go, I do not like using my one too much when doing weighted ones. I have been doing pullups on overhanging ledges on a concrete shelter near me, I find it far better when you have no worry about the thing collapsing. I also do them on the landing on my stairs, and even in the opening to the attic. But chinups are the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Not much cheaper on ebay from the looks of it, I've emailed teh ukfitnesssupplies.co.uk site about shipping to Ireland. Are others interested if I can get a bulk deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

Sleepy wrote:
    Not much cheaper on ebay from the looks of it, I've emailed teh ukfitnesssupplies.co.uk site about shipping to Ireland. Are others interested if I can get a bulk deal?
    Me for def

Great ali.c.

Anyone else? BTW, I'm living in Deansgrange, train in the Westwood and am in Dublin city centre a couple of times a week so meeting up to pass along the bars when they get in should be fairly straightforward for anyone in the Dublin area.

burntCornlake is in as well as a number of posters from TeamTest.

I'll leave this open until Friday and will place the order then for however many responses I've gotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

I sell the doorway gym as in the link

http://www.amazon.com/Doorway-Gym-Push-Chin-Bar/dp/B000R0KO2C/ref=sr_1_2/105-6927667-7204432?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1189532582&sr=1-2

It is good because you can do close grip, neutral grip or wide grip and you can use it for situps and pressups aswell. I have tested it with my gf on my back so its strong (150kg total) I have 5 instock in dublin they are usually 60 euro but boardsters can have them for 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭agentgreen

The walls in my apartment around the door frames are plasterboards, I'm 14stone, do you reckon I'd be safe with one of these?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭JM MARCONI

Hi Mickk, do you own a shop? If you dont where can I pick one of them up off you? I live in Knocklyon.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

Im interested in picking one up aswell

If you look at the one Mickk linked to, if the 2 bars came out further at the front it could probably be used for dips. Instead of using the top of the door frame you could get a plank of wood and put it across the door frame so you could hook it in place half way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Argos sell a pack with chinup/situp and press up yolks in it. I don't know how much it costs it's been ages since I bought them.

I have a gym and supplement shop in camden st and my warehouse is actually in knocklyon if thats handier for you JM MARCONI.

Most door frames are just plaster board with timber supports behind you should be ok... I think its a better system than the power bar because if you look at the supports that go behind the door there are only two small feet which all the pressure will go through but with the doorway gym it is spread over a long bar. 4 left now btw but I will have more in again in a few weeks

Hi Mickk, when are you going to be in Knocklyon next? Thanks

rubadub wrote:
    Instead of using the top of the door frame you could get a plank of wood and put it across the door frame so you could hook it in place half way down.

Forgot the problem is the door is in the way!
    http://www.easydip.com/ has no door to get in the way. You could make a extra long version to get to the top and down to dipping level.

more here http://www.easychin.com/products.lasso

I am also wondering if a standard tricep bar could get some attachement for it, or possibly used as is. I cannot remember how wide the centre bits are. But if it fit inbetween the door frame the 2 poles for the plates will hit the frame, then when rotated it will angle 45degrees and hit the frame on the corner at the top, rather than going all the way up. I reckon I can come up with some design to make it from wood, dumbells could be used as handles for the dipping, put a 1" hole in the wood, then put a 1kg plate on either side of the wood to act as washers and just screw on the dumbell nut to secure it.

sprtAllExercise_EquipmentWeider_WDR_EZ_System_Tricep_Bar_EZTBY1-resized200.jpg

rubadub wrote:
    Forgot the problem is the door is in the way!
    http://www.easydip.com/ has no door to get in the way. You could make a extra long version to get to the top and down to dipping level.

more here http://www.easychin.com/products.lasso

I am also wondering if a standard tricep bar could get some attachement for it, or possibly used as is. I cannot remember how wide the centre bits are. But if it fit inbetween the door frame the 2 poles for the plates will hit the frame, then when rotated it will angle 45degrees and hit the frame on the corner at the top, rather than going all the way up. I reckon I can come up with some design to make it from wood, dumbells could be used as handles for the dipping, put a 1" hole in the wood, then put a 1kg plate on either side of the wood to act as washers and just screw on the dumbell nut to secure it.

sprtAllExercise_EquipmentWeider_WDR_EZ_System_Tricep_Bar_EZTBY1-resized200.jpg

I would not trust that dip bar, there is nothing barr friction holding up it, if you kip or dip fast it will fall down...

I will hopefully be in knocklyon this afternoon/evening

I sent you a pm Mickk.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭meanpeoplesuck

Sleepy wrote:
    Great ali.c.

Anyone else? BTW, I'm living in Deansgrange, train in the Westwood and am in Dublin city centre a couple of times a week so meeting up to pass along the bars when they get in should be fairly straightforward for anyone in the Dublin area.

From one outer edge of my doorframe to the other is 36 inches. The powerbar is suitable for up to 32 inches apparently. I'm not sure of the mechanics of these things and if chinning bars still work grand on bigger doors?

If I can find out that it'll work alright by tomorrow then I'll defo take a power bar also.

• Advertisement

From one outer edge of my doorframe to the other is 36 inches. The powerbar is suitable for up to 32 inches apparently. I'm not sure of the mechanics of these things and if chinning bars still work grand on bigger doors?

If I can find out that it'll work alright by tomorrow then I'll defo take a power bar also.

I think you are fine.
    http://www.paragonmartialarts.co.uk/powerbar.htm
    says door ways of 27"-32", but that is the opening, not the wood width.

http://www.ukfitnesssupplies.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/UKFitnessSuppliesLtd/POWERBAR/87345 says 90cm wide, that is just under 36"

Mickks has the advantage of being solid and a wider clamping area, it also has angled ends for wide grips. The other ones advantage is the added height and folds away. I like to feel sturdiness to be confident so would probably go for Mickks.

Yep, im getting one of Mickk in the next hour. Il let you all know what its like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Yeah, I posted a similar thread a while back. Would be interested in the bulk-buy ... kildare area, but can travel for the sake of a few euros ...

Keep my posted ;)

Ok, I just set it up. I have to say, its a quality piece of kit(very sturdy) Mickk is a sound guy also. He said he has a few left if anyone wants one.

Okay, got the quote, they've arranged for cheaper shipping, dropped the 'small order' charge and given me a 5% discount on the bars themselves.
    Dear Eoin
    We would be able to give a 5% discount on your order for 10 Powerbars making the cost of supplying 10 (ten) £247.00 plus £34.00 shipping to the Republic of Ireland as previously quoted. This gives a total order cost of £281.00. If you go wish to go ahead with your order, when placing it online please note 'Total Cost including shipping agreed with Gill - £281.00' in the comment box.

Kind regards

Gill
    Customer Service

So, between the ten of us that have expressed interest between TeamTest and here:

ali.c
    john
    wasabi
    seraphinx
    g'em

meanpeoplesuck
    damo
    burntCornflake
    ThatGuy

and myself, it works out at £28.10 each (versus the site price of £46.95). At today's currency rates that works at roughly €40.75 each - I'll update once I see the charge on my credit card.

Order is placed.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭meanpeoplesuck

Brilliant! Can't wait :)

Total Cost came to €418.04 so rounded off it comes to €42 each.

Should be arriving today. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

god damn I go away for a week and you start getting stuff without me:rolleyes: . Oh I will remember that.

Ok anyway Mickk I think I will be ordering one of these with the kettlebells if you still have any in stock. Ah well seems this is going to be an expensive month

Sorry jsb!

These arrived this morning. Where/When would suit people to meet to collect these? I'm thinking somewhere in town and try and get everyone there at once?

• Advertisement

Thanks to ali.c and meanpeoplesuck who I've met up with already for this. I'm meeting damo near town tonight so if anyone else wants theirs can you PM me?

I'm flying out on a week's holidays on Saturday so if you want them before Sunday week, it's gonna have to be tonight or tomorrow.

Advertisement