Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door frame pull up bar

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

B-Builder wrote: »
    Hi There

www.irish-lifting.com sell a really good pull-up/chin-up bar that goes over your door. I picked one up only last week and am really happy with it.

There is a guy who posts on here "Mickk" who own and runs Irish Lifting. He also has a supplement shop in camden St (Fighting Fit) where you can usually pick the equipment up from, or he will deliver. But not too sure how busy he is delivery wise this close to Christmas.

You can see a clip of the exact pull-up bar in this post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055773332

You can contact Mickk at
    admin@irishlifting.com

- or -

01 475 9529

Best Regards,

Cheers for that buddy, I meant to say I'm aware of the Irish Lifting one, but it might be outta my price range at €40. Might give 'em a ring tomorrow and see about collecting one tho, fingers crossed for a discount!!! :pac:

Just to bump - anyone know if Tesco, Supervalu, etc stock this in Dublin?

I'm tempting the devil with this triple post, but just to say, I found a chin up bar. Its very similar to the Irish Lifting one, the doorway gym.

I got it in Tesco in Belfast for £15, tried it out and am very happy with it. Tesco also have a good few other bits on offer, well worth a look... http://direct.tesco.com/q/N.1999332/Nr.99.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

I'm tempting the devil with this triple post, but just to say, I found a chin up bar. Its very similar to the Irish Lifting one, the doorway gym.

I got it in Tesco in Belfast for £15, tried it out and am very happy with it. Tesco also have a good few other bits on offer, well worth a look... http://direct.tesco.com/q/N.1999332/Nr.99.aspx

I can't believe what a small world it is, literally 4 hours ago I was standing in a factory in China watching them making the Door gym's for Tesco! I took a picture which I will stick up when I get home.

The only problem with the tesco one is that you can only really do one type of pullup. Wide grip overhanded pullups are a completely different beast and probably the best back widening exercises. I would say they work 80% back and 20% biceps where as neutral or close grip pullups work 80% biceps and 20% back. I took a decision to sell a much higher quality one which think is better value, theirs weights 1.5kg and mine more than three times that. Here is the Tesco one for people who don't know what I am talking about http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-6734.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

http://www.buy4now.ie/elverys/aspx/productdetail.aspx?pid=6377&loc=P&catid=9.27

Does the top of the door frame need to be at 90 degrees for these to work or is it ok if they are sloped/curved?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ciarap

Are you still in Knocklyon. My DH is looking for one of the chin up bars.

Thanks

CP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Just ordered the one from Elverys. 30 euro including shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DtrucksFan

Hi There

www.irish-lifting.com sell a really good pull-up/chin-up bar that goes over your door. I picked one up only last week and am really happy with it.

There is a guy who posts on here "Mickk" who own and runs Irish Lifting. He also has a supplement shop in camden St (Fighting Fit) where you can usually pick the equipment up from, or he will deliver. But not too sure how busy he is delivery wise this close to Christmas.

You can see a clip of the exact pull-up bar in this post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055773332

You can contact Mickk at
    admin@irishlifting.com

- or -

01 475 9529

Best Regards,

Bump purely because this is exactly what i was looking for and exceptionally hard to find info on!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

http://www.steelfitstore.com/Wall_Mount_Pull_Up_Bars.html

Was looking at a wall mounted bar for side wall of the house - these fit the bill but are bonkers money.

http://www.irish-lifting.com/wall-chin-bar-pe-217.html

this one from Irish lifting seems much better value - what's the difference?

Idea is to do chins, ring dips and hanging leg raises off it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

TheZ wrote: »
    http://www.steelfitstore.com/Wall_Mount_Pull_Up_Bars.html

Was looking at a wall mounted bar for side wall of the house - these fit the bill but are bonkers money.

http://www.irish-lifting.com/wall-chin-bar-pe-217.html

this one from Irish lifting seems much better value - what's the difference?

Idea is to do chins, ring dips and hanging leg raises off it

Main difference I can see (apart from price) is that the more expensive bar has a distance fo 22" between the bar and the wall where the Irish lifting version only has a 10" gap. So double the clearance with the more expensive one, but I would agree price is a little crazy.

However I would guess that anywhere that deals in metal work (wrought iron gate folks etc) may be able to knock together a pullup bar similar to the first (expensive) version for less than that. Or you could consider something like the Power Tower from Irish Liftign if you had a garage or similar in which to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Nuts!

DtrucksFan wrote: »
    Bump purely because this is exactly what i was looking for and exceptionally hard to find info on!

+1

I've literally spent half the day looking for a multi position bar that I can get in/to Ireland without having to take out a small mortgage to pay for shipping. Irish Lifting is about to get itself one more customer :)

Just out of curiosity can I say that this looks exactly like the "Xtreme" model of a very popular door gym brand. It's not the first time I've seen this model under different names though. What's the story there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

just to add i got the door frame bar from irish lifting and it is perfect. The lad from the shop called me the day I placed the order to say it was slightly different from the one in the pic (better if anything, its turned upwards to be higher from the floor) and it was with me the next day. it took about 3 mins to put together and is really secure( and does not mark the door frame).

There are less hand positions then the one in the pic but they are no loss as far as i can see, but i am no pull up expert as my max is 10 although this going up all the time thanks to my great new bar!

By the way, I have to say the service from irish lifting is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Bumping a very old thread here but couldn't find anything more recent.

I'm looking at getting something like this: http://www.irish-lifting.com/doorway-gym-pe-270.html

My only concern is that the walls in my apartment are all plasterboard and I'm worried this might damage it, I don't mind using a bit of felt to stop the paint getting scuffed but don't want to crack the plasterwork.

Anybody else used these on a plasterboard wall? (I already have the screw-in expanding type but it's cracking the door frame and chipping paint so I've been banned from using it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

hardCopy wrote: »
    Bumping a very old thread here but couldn't find anything more recent.

I'm looking at getting something like this: http://www.irish-lifting.com/doorway-gym-pe-270.html

My only concern is that the walls in my apartment are all plasterboard and I'm worried this might damage it, I don't mind using a bit of felt to stop the paint getting scuffed but don't want to crack the plasterwork.

Anybody else used these on a plasterboard wall? (I already have the screw-in expanding type but it's cracking the door frame and chipping paint so I've been banned from using it)

It should be fine,its designed so the weight is passed through the door frame,a little extra rubber padding will help prevent and paint damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

drdeadlift wrote: »
    It should be fine,its designed so the weight is passed through the door frame,a little extra rubber padding will help prevent and paint damage.

But it says check the wall for strength?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I know this is an old thread but didnt want to make any more.

I have been looking at getting one that doesnt need to be screwed on so i was looking at a few on Argos Irish lifting and the Iron gym one.

See i am just a bit cautious over the door frame and the walls around the doors. I went around checked the walls at all the doors and there not solid there kinda hollow inside when u bang on them. I reckon if u pulled out of the frame enough it would crack also.

A lot of the bars hold more then 17 stone im 15 myself i am just afraid of breaking the door or wall or even pulling the bar down and killing me self :pac:

Any ideas ?? Me mate has one in the place hes renting and hes had no issues hes around same height and weight as me im still just a bit edgy about it seeing as i am only renting this place a while.

I know this is an old thread but didnt want to make any more.

I have been looking at getting one that doesnt need to be screwed on so i was looking at a few on Argos Irish lifting and the Iron gym one.

See i am just a bit cautious over the door frame and the walls around the doors. I went around checked the walls at all the doors and there not solid there kinda hollow inside when u bang on them. I reckon if u pulled out of the frame enough it would crack also.

A lot of the bars hold more then 17 stone im 15 myself i am just afraid of breaking the door or wall or even pulling the bar down and killing me self :pac:

Any ideas ?? Me mate has one in the place hes renting and hes had no issues hes around same height and weight as me im still just a bit edgy about it seeing as i am only renting this place a while.

The top of the door frame doesn't actually bear that much of the load, it mostly acts as a pivot. The vast majority of the force is applied perpendicularly into the main frame of the door/wall. I'm not sure if it would work on a hollow wall, only one way to find out.

Most of the bars have a weight limit of around 100kg, but this would include a factor of safety. You should be ok at ~95kg. When I was 90kg I used mine without any problems. Just bear in mind that anything other than steady pull-ups will result in a lot more force being applied (basically, don't do any of that crossfit **** on there).

Owen_S wrote: »
    The top of the door frame doesn't actually bear that much of the load, it mostly acts as a pivot. The vast majority of the force is applied perpendicularly into the main frame of the door/wall. I'm not sure if it would work on a hollow wall, only one way to find out.

Most of the bars have a weight limit of around 100kg, but this would include a factor of safety. You should be ok at ~95kg. When I was 90kg I used mine without any problems. Just bear in mind that anything other than steady pull-ups will result in a lot more force being applied (basically, don't do any of that crossfit **** on there).

I'm just looking to do pull up s that's it. I just dunno what to do weather I should get one or not.

I'm just looking to do pull up s that's it. I just dunno what to do weather I should get one or not.

You can pick one up for around €20 in some places (have a look in Elverys too). If it works, it will be the best €20 you ever spent. I made all kinds of gains with mine.

Owen_S wrote: »
    You can pick one up for around €20 in some places (have a look in Elverys too). If it works, it will be the best €20 you ever spent. I made all kinds of gains with mine.

If it doesn't I'll end up with a DIY bill haha..

• Advertisement
Advertisement