Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the Cheltenham festival

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Earendil wrote: »
    then taxi to the train station before the last race.

It can be a bit manic trying to get a taxi outside, or even a taxi in the town for that evening.

Have Uber installed on your phone just incase - they charge a large premium due to the demand....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Would you be okay to elaborate on this?
    I’m there Monday night & the Tuesday. I’ve to catch an 8pm flight home so will have to use the luggage store and then taxi to the train station before the last race.

A 8pm flight?

From where?

leaving the course at 1645 approx, train taking circa 1hr 15mins (if Birmingham), still looks tighter than ideal if any delays

Isnt there a flight about 10pm?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I’ve to catch an 8pm flight home so will have to use the luggage store and then taxi to the train station before the last race.[/QUOTE]

I have been over a good few times. These days I only do day trips, so I have never had the baggage issue. Firstly, getting from the track to a 8pm Birmingham flight will be tight enough. I would pre-book a taxi for that one. More importantly check out your train time. Is there a train to Birmingham catering for early leavers? How much is a taxi to the airport altogether? If there are four travellers it might be doable?

Are you travelling with your girlfriend or a few birds? I will probably get a slagging for this, but if your not, I would consider not bringing any baggage at all. I know, eeeuuugggghh. Just bring a quick change of underwear which you can throw away. Wear the same clothes as Monday. I know I know blah blah , but I have often done a two day bender in the UK with no luggage. All you'll be doing is eating, drinking and backing horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Sounds like a right mad dash for an 8pm flight. Train drops you in New St station in middle of Birmingham and you’ve to either get another train or taxi to airport.

Can remember doing it one year, not sure if it was exactly 8pm flight but it was thereabouts. Had a taxi waiting not far outside main entrance after last race. Driver knew the roads and took us off round back of course and to Birmingham in double quick time. Can’t remember what it cost but between 4 it was definitely worth it and very stress free.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

There's a half 9 flight back from Birmingham that I've gotten a couple of times and even that was tight with leaving just after the last race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Ah fúck this is not looking good.
    Have the train ticket booked from cheltenham spa for 17.42 to birmingham new street arrival 18.23.
    Train from Bir' new street to Bir' international 18.36-18.49.
    Then the Ryanair 8pm flight home.

Just me and the wife. Looks like I'll have to leave after the mares race at 16.10.
    First time over for the festival (was there in November) and looks like I made a mess of the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Ah fúck this is not looking good.
    Have the train ticket booked from cheltenham spa for 17.42 to birmingham new street arrival 18.23.
    Train from Bir' new street to Bir' international 18.36-18.49.
    Then the Ryanair 8pm flight home.

Just me and the wife. Looks like I'll have to leave after the mares race at 16.10.
    First time over for the festival (was there in November) and looks like I made a mess of the times.

1 hour before flight is grand for a uk flight. easy get the 6 races. If ya leave before the last you'll definatly be in the train station on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Way too tight ED. Stay the extra night and enjoy your day racing

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

BumperD wrote: »
    Way too tight ED. Stay the extra night and enjoy your day racing

Can't Bumper, small kids to get back to. Doing well getting the one night away.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭famagusta

Earendil wrote:
    Would you be okay to elaborate on this? I’m there Monday night & the Tuesday. I’ve to catch an 8pm flight home so will have to use the luggage store and then taxi to the train station before the last race.

The issue I had was some of the roads were closed and he got lost!! We get the taxi straight from the course to the airport.

A local lad will get you the train station on time no bother.
    As the lads have said, pre book a taxi if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Panrich

A couple of questions for those that go regularly.

I am going this year and am wondering if the shops on course have any bargains or are prices at a premium?

Also is it easy to get out on course to watch the cross country race and if so, is there a spot you'd recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Panrich wrote: »

I am going this year and am wondering if the shops on course have any bargains or are prices at a premium?

Also is it easy to get out on course to watch the cross country race and if so, is there a spot you'd recommend?

Bet fred is only shop on site I think
    Did a good special last year or it could be the norm 3X on lucky 15 - 1 winner
    4X on lucky 31
    5X on lucky 63
    Really liked this as a lucky 31 would be my typical bet.
    In other news I heard yesterday in a powers shop that in the next few weeks they are doing away with treble the odds for 1 winner and all the bonuses on lucky bets because of the new tax.
    Only double odds then forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Never done it but definitely easy to get out for the x country race. You’ll see people queuing at the bottom of the chute where the horses leave and enter the course just after the end of previous race. Banks a popular spot I would guess.

Shops aren’t cheap. Usual horsey wear. Nice to wander around but I wouldn’t be buying.
    There’s no real advantage in getting on course. You don’t see as much as you would from the stand. Also you’re herded into specific areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

Shops are steep, but just a stroll through is OK. Sometimes there could be an offer for punchestown or some other Irish course.
    The x country is one of my highlights every year, there is a map of the course in the programme and its a must to get out there and up close to the action, I try to look to get near 3 fences and you can see a good bit but at times it's hard to see who wins but would strongly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kevinh95

Can anyone recommend which enclosure is best from experience. We are going for the Tuesday and Wednesday and are undecided between the best mate and Tattersalls. Also can you access the track for the X country race from any of the three enclosures as we would like to go out on track for the X country race.

kevinh95 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend which enclosure is best from experience. We are going for the Tuesday and Wednesday and are undecided between the best mate and Tattersalls. Also can you access the track for the X country race from any of the three enclosures as we would like to go out on track for the X country race.

Tatts for both questions. Worth paying for club if you have the money.

Plenty of discussion in early part of this thread re recommended enclosure or maybe another thread on here from memory

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Whats the Wifi like on the course lads. Few of the lads want to put money on there online accounts saves them doing bets on the course. Id rather just do them on the course meself

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

Stay clear of best mate enclosure, you can't get across to the x country from there, tatts is best, as you can slip into club whenever you want no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Just buy club tickets . Can't go wrong . Wifi is good but sure you'll have 4 g anyway

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Whats the Wifi like on the course lads. Few of the lads want to put money on there online accounts saves them doing bets on the course. Id rather just do them on the course meself

With over 60,000 there on the Friday I would be prepared for issues at the track, just in case. I wouldn't be leaving it last minute or anything.

If you are backing on course be careful with the Bet Fred stands. I got the runaround when collecting a winner at Newbury a couple of years ago. They would only pay out on the winner at the actual betting booth I went to, no biggie, but just take care when lumping on. I had to walk to the far end of the stand when collecting, there was a queue etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

FYI on the Wifi they block online accounts bar I think BetFred. Need to use 4G.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kevinh95

Stay clear of best mate enclosure, you can't get across to the x country from there, tatts is best, as you can slip into club whenever you want no bother.

Does anyone know if it is possible to change tickets as some of my mates booked tickets for Best Mate enclosure but are keen to see X country track side as well.

Does anyone know if it is possible to change tickets as some of my mates booked tickets for Best Mate enclosure but are keen to see X country track side as well.

There is a place to upgrade from tatts to club on track near centaur. Not sure about BM- best dial them to check

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Well worth going out into the centre of the course for the cross-country race, great craic! Just be aware, it is much boggier out there than on the course itself as the course seems to drain into the centre. Not generally a problem for men (unless the going is soft or worse) but I have seen some women getting into (hilarious) problems with heels getting stuck in the ground out there!

Advertisement