Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the Cheltenham festival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭finbarrk

seanthemon wrote: »
    I’m thinking about going to the Cheltenham festival with 5 year old child this year... good idea/bad idea? Discuss...

Leave the kid at home. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Really? Been there the last 3 years and the first two years we found it difficult to find a spot to eat that wasn't out the door. Last year we actually booked something - All Bar One (wasn't anything mind blowing but we were happy we didn't have to wander around).

Was replying to his urinal query. You’ll still find a spot for grub but you will que for it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

BumperD wrote: »
    Was replying to his urinal query. You’ll still find a spot for grub but you will que for it

Awh my bad!

My recommendation for anyone going over is to book a restaurant in advance unless you're well able for a liquid diet (my fiancee is definitely not :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Awh my bad!

My recommendation for anyone going over is to book a restaurant in advance unless you're well able for a liquid diet (my fiancee is definitely not :pac:)

Ill be on a kebab diet over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Gringo180 wrote: »

When i was going with my brother only, we had greasy fish and chip on the way back if it was a bad day. And slap up meal if not.It all seemed so easy back then , i think we had the fish and chips only about twice in the first 4-5 years.

Since my wife is coming, there is no more greasy fish and chips, no matter how bad the day went, Thankfully, as its not been so easy the last 2-3 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭ON ZEE BRIDLE

Was hoping for an over flow of vaginal fluid

Dirty boy!!!

The best diet for soakage!

£6 iirc for a pint on track - end up spilling half of it by the time you get away from the bar. Also a shambles - queued up for 30 odd mins last year for two drinks, hiring lads/lassies that clearly haven't a clue how to pull a pint, serve a pint, use a till or count change... I'd say they do well to stand on their two feet tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

£6 iirc for a pint on track - end up spilling half of it by the time you get away from the bar. Also a shambles - queued up for 30 odd mins last year for two drinks, hiring lads/lassies that clearly haven't a clue how to pull a pint, serve a pint, use a till or count change... I'd say they do well to stand on their two feet tbh.

That's typically the UK in general in my experience, awful slow bar staff and non-pressurised taps. We really have drinking down to an art here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Drink on track is scandalous re pricing. They add 30 pence a year without blushing to the price

• Advertisement

Lads, its not that hard to get a pint, just go to Guinness tent and you can elbow your way to a pint (not only Guinness) in 5 mins, on any day. Bars in stands are fairly obviously going to be packed.

Is it handier to get a pint in the club enclosure.

aidankkk wrote: »
    Lads, its not that hard to get a pint, just go to Guinness tent and you can elbow your way to a pint (not only Guinness) in 5 mins, on any day. Bars in stands are fairly obviously going to be packed.

Only been in there afterwards - place does be like a warzone! Will take note for 2020 when I'm back over.
    Is it handier to get a pint in the club enclosure.

Slightly better - I was in Tatter in 2018 and Club in 2017, Tatter was a disaster. Follow aidans advice I'd say.

Sound lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Never an issue getting a pint in the club enclosure. As I said before in my opinion you either pay for the club or don’t go at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

lemush wrote: »
    Never an issue getting a pint in the club enclosure. As I said before in my opinion you either pay for the club or don’t go at all.

I was there in November and Club was atrocious to try and get served in. As has been said on the thread already...not even the staff numbers, just their inability to pull a pint. There was one kid who was literally pulling the pint of Staropramen straight down into the middle of the glass held 5 inches below the tap. It would fizz up, he would start pouring the pint in the same way again. Rinse and repeat.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Club was a disaster for me in 2017 on the Festival Tuesday whereas Guinness Village was fine to get a pint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Could hardly move in Guinness village last year, would definitely pay for the better tickets in future.

Lads if yer paying to go over and stay , it's mental not to go for club in the overall scheme of things .

aidankkk wrote: »
    Lads if yer paying to go over and stay , it's mental not to go for club in the overall scheme of things .

Yeah was 170 euro for 2 days in the club enclosure well worth the extra few €€'s hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

If I were to fly to Birmingham on the Tuesday, what's the best/quickest way to get to the racecourse Tuesday morning? And how long would it take?

FatRat wrote: »
      If I were to fly to Birmingham on the Tuesday, what's the best/quickest way to get to the racecourse Tuesday morning? And how long would it take?

Very Easy, there is a train in airport and then a train straight to cheltenham . only takes about 1hr 10 min

Once you arrive in Cheltenham train station there's herds of double decker buses if you want to jump on also - fiver return. Well managed and can buy the ticket in the queue. Can jump on the buses back into the town or back to the train station. If you're staying in Burm, last train is just before 11pm from Chelt iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Cheers lads. I see the train there, only 30 quid. Have a spot to stay in Cheltenham so I'm all set up for Tuesday and Wednesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kevtipp85

just a quick one on this, if fly in say tues morn or planning to fly back wed eve is bringing luggage to/from the racecourse an issue? i.e. if decided to fly back on one of the last flights out on the wed eve we'd have to leave for the airport straight from the racecourse and don't want to lug around a carry on all day!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

kevtipp85 wrote: »
      just a quick one on this, if fly in say tues morn or planning to fly back wed eve is bringing luggage to/from the racecourse an issue? i.e. if decided to fly back on one of the last flights out on the wed eve we'd have to leave for the airport straight from the racecourse and don't want to lug around a carry on all day!
      They have baggage storage on course

The Mig wrote: »
      They have baggage storage on course

Ur ****ed if somehow it gets lost tho. Imagine the amount of bags/suitcases they would be holding?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

kevtipp85 wrote: »

They have storage,just Be prepared for a thorough check.
      I presume its similar to Aintree, i was coming back from Aintree straight after the racing one year so decided to bring suitcase with me to the course and security at the course got me to open every compartment in the bag one by one and remove each Item.
      Wasnt much fun trying to repack with a queue behind me,a hangover and the first race due off :o

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭famagusta

kevtipp85 wrote:

I have done this for the last few years. Very good service, no real queue to worry about, no problems at all really, it is free!! But there is a tip jar!

I would recommend it if that's what you want, however after an episode with an Indian taxi driver last year for collection after, we are staying till the Thursday morning this year...

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

famagusta wrote: »
      I have done this for the last few years. Very good service, no real queue to worry about, no problems at all really, it is free!! But there is a tip jar!

I would recommend it if that's what you want, however after an episode with an Indian taxi driver last year for collection after, we are staying till the Thursday morning this year...

Would you be okay to elaborate on this?
      I’m there Monday night & the Tuesday. I’ve to catch an 8pm flight home so will have to use the luggage store and then taxi to the train station before the last race.

Advertisement