Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trucking general chat - was Forum/Sub-forum proposal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

Was that in the compound in Curraheen?

Ya used here that done a blindside there and another one in Mahon but everything just went right on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

The Magnum is the one for me though after Volvo and Mercedes, i'm in love with those trucks, i know it's basically a volvo under the skin.

First truck i ever drove was a 2001 Iveco with Ford Running gear, after that a 2003 version of the same truck with the Fiat running gear,i went for the 01 every time.

Ah your bringing me back in time now. First yoke I drove was a Ford D serious rigid doing building materials around dublin, took my test in it, 1984 pass first time. In 86 I took my artic test in the bull nose Merc that Alexandra driving school in fairview had at the time. Then went driving a Leyland Buffalow pulling a 40' tandem flat doing timber from Dublin port or steel from Greenore, I swear any back problems I have now go back to that yoke. It felt like the seat was bolted to the cab, the cab bolted to the chassis, the chassis bolted to the axel and the tyres could look after the suspension.

I progressed onto doing the UK in an old F10 flatop then the continent in an f12 globetrotter, eventually ending up with a brand new 420 Magnum in 91 and another in 94.

What a truck. Built in fridge and telly, altho the telly would only work in the bean or beside British military basses in Germany. We used to turn for weeks on end in Liverpool, JJ's truck stop in Bootle was the place we spent most weekends. You could comfortably get 6 people into it with somewhere to sit for every one. Good times.

Gave up the continent when the littleNuts came along and do domestic work in an XF Auto these days, and stIill enjoy most days.

Into the future there's two things id like. First would be a go in Caufields B Train that that I see running overnight between Dublin and Cork.

The other would be to see drivers organising a proper union to represent the intrests of drivers, so all drivers, from van couriers to the guys delivering wind turbines get the pay and conditions they deserve and a little input into future legislation that might affect us.

Anyway enough ramblings from an ageing diesel hound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

RustyNut wrote: »

The other would be to see drivers organising a proper union to represent the intrests of drivers, so all drivers, from van couriers to the guys delivering wind turbines get the pay and conditions they deserve and a little input into future legislation that might affect us.

From the operators side financially it's a cut throat business and the margins are very tight and one side to suffer is the drivers pay. The rates on offer from customers are pathetic now a days especially for the small guys when a bigger guy comes in and does some serious under cutting on prices or an easy European can bring stuff in from the continent at feck all cost. Been through the accounts of some bigger operators with nice shiney 16s & 17 regs but they're borrowed up to the hilt or leading and then taking payments by invoice discounting coz they can't wait 60-90 days for payment

RustyNut wrote: »
    Ah your bringing me back in time now. First yoke I drove was a Ford D serious rigid doing building materials around dublin, took my test in it, 1984 pass first time. In 86 I took my artic test in the bull nose Merc that Alexandra driving school in fairview had at the time. Then went driving a Leyland Buffalow pulling a 40' tandem flat doing timber from Dublin port or steel from Greenore, I swear any back problems I have now go back to that yoke. It felt like the seat was bolted to the cab, the cab bolted to the chassis, the chassis bolted to the axel and the tyres could look after the suspension.

I progressed onto doing the UK in an old F10 flatop then the continent in an f12 globetrotter, eventually ending up with a brand new 420 Magnum in 91 and another in 94.

What a truck. Built in fridge and telly, altho the telly would only work in the bean or beside British military basses in Germany. We used to turn for weeks on end in Liverpool, JJ's truck stop in Bootle was the place we spent most weekends. You could comfortably get 6 people into it with somewhere to sit for every one. Good times.

Gave up the continent when the littleNuts came along and do domestic work in an XF Auto these days, and stIill enjoy most days.

Into the future there's two things id like. First would be a go in Caufields B Train that that I see running overnight between Dublin and Cork.

A Ford D? nice :cool:

Any idea as to what type of Merc she was?

What kind of seats were in the Leyland?

She was a bare skeletal cab was it?

I have similar issues with my back which i put down to a Scania.

The magnum has to win it hands down, it's a pity they withdrew them in 2013.

I've never driven one but am looking around to see if i can get a drive with a company that does.

My love for one of those is on par with my wife :pac:

You spent several years on the continent?

I've never been outside the 32 counties.

Are you doing multi drop in the XF or long distance?

That road train is a serious piece of kit,passed it on the M8 many a day.

I 100% back you on the union call, would it help improve conditions/wages/hours though?

Some drivers out there are getting seriously fcuked over, there is 1 operator in Cork in particular who is well known for scraping the bottom of the barrel with wages.

Have you ever discussed it with colleagues?

As for the stories, please tell us young pups more, can't beat the golden oldie stories :D

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    From the operators side financially it's a cut throat business and the margins are very tight and one side to suffer is the drivers pay. The rates on offer from customers are pathetic now a days especially for the small guys when a bigger guy comes in and does some serious under cutting on prices or an easy European can bring stuff in from the continent at feck all cost. Been through the accounts of some bigger operators with nice shiney 16s & 17 regs but they're borrowed up to the hilt or leading and then taking payments by invoice discounting coz they can't wait 60-90 days for payment

This is the one side i know nothing about, the books, some operators pay good, around the 140 a day mark, some not so good, 70 a day on the books or 50 into the paw.

This is the one side i know nothing about, the books, some operators pay good, around the 140 a day mark, some not so good, 70 a day on the books or 50 into the paw.

I was more interested in the business side of it and trying to set up but with the whole insurance thing I've canned the idea

I was more interested in the business side of it and trying to set up but with the whole insurance thing I've canned the idea

That is becoming an even bigger problem, in 2016, the company i worked for seen a 25k increase just on the fleet insurance.

Have you done the Transport Management CPC?

Did it 2 years ago as back then could get insurance but when went looking for insurance a few months after getting it there was no one offering cover to start ups. Looked into buying a company as a going concern but their insurance was up over 50% in 2 years and the margins were rubbish

Did it 2 years ago as back then could get insurance but when went looking for insurance a few months after getting it there was no one offering cover to start ups. Looked into buying a company as a going concern but their insurance was up over 50% in 2 years and the margins were rubbish

Setting up a modern day transport company is seriously cost prohibitive then?

Would you recommend the TMCPC?

• Advertisement

It's very hard to set up. Insurance was my biggest problem and what held me back from setting up. Even i got insurance it was going to be hard to get business and build a reputation. Get in with a customer and they cut you out your in trouble. The TM course is worth it if you want to set up on your own or go into the office at some stage. The course is easy enough and the exam is easy compared to the UK.

My stepfather is in the game over 40 years now, as a self employed operator, working for himself only.

Only once ever did i go very in-depth with him on the costs of running a business and it was a good while back, 2005 i think, at that time it cost him €8000 annually for his insurance and that covered upto 1 million.

I've had customers complain to me before when i was a courier that my employer whilst good, was expensive.

2 other companies told me they were either making nothing at all on it or just €25 a week, both scenario's i don't believe.

As the saying goes though, monkies,peanuts,etc.

I was offered the chance to do the TMCPC once but wasn't able to afford it at the time, the course director even said to do it and we can discuss money later, i felt it would be unfair of me to commit and not know where i stood financially at the time, in 2013.

I don't know if i will be in the industry at 40 though due to wages/hours and having a young family.

College is looking very tempting.

Is it passenger or haulage you did?

Wonder how many KMs are on the clock of that yoke

Wonder how many KMs are on the clock of that yoke

Never got the chance to look, needless to say, the majority of their fleet is like that.

Around the same time I was offered work by them but declined it.

€9 per hour or whatever the bare minimum wage was then plus €22 expenses daily.

Never got the chance to look, needless to say, the majority of their fleet is like that.

Around the same time I was offered work by them but declined it.

€9 per hour or whatever the bare minimum wage was then plus €22 expenses daily.

It's not the majority.... it's all of them. Antiques road show. There's only a few working out of the port that are any good to work for. I suppose to be fair that's the industry in general it's hard to find a job that the driver is appreciated.

Rave.ef wrote: »
    It's not the majority.... it's all of them. Antiques road show. There's only a few working out of the port that are any good to work for. I suppose to be fair that's the industry in general it's hard to find a job that the driver is appreciated.

The best I’ve seen in their fleet by their standards was a 2011 DAF, and even that was fairly battered.

Sitting in the queue here in the port and that 01 is behind me

They keep all their trailers/containers there.

All the tractor units return to based in Carrigtwohill.

The 01 isn't the oldest in the fleet though.

Copied this from RTOL, it's the full fleet list of trucks with an operators licence, even though i've seen a 1999 DAF in recent times on the road.

Operator Name Trade Name Licence Number Licence Type Address Expiry Date Transport Manager(s) Registered Vehicles
    Little Island Transport Company Ltd 110057495 International Carho, Carrigtwohill, Cork 03/01/22 Brendan Foley
    03D69568
    01C29006
    03D69562
    02C23310
    03C21709
    02WX6437
    02C14050
    03C17344
    03C17343
    01D41862
    04C16693
    05C18328
    02C24784
    03C17347
    01C17384
    00D64602
    02KK3534
    04C21027
    06C16858
    02C10098
    06C12425
    01D91653
    03D69566
    03C2724
    03D69534
    05C9725
    05C2875
    06D17269
    05KE6863
    05C8244
    09C2440
    09C2441
    10C5049
    11D28910
    11D28912
    06C4024
    06C40261
    06C15754
    03D27996
    07C25917
    09C8579
    11C17333
    06MO7197
    05C28444
    11D28921
    08C43628

They havent much room to keep much trailers there because they do a little container storage too in the left hand corner. Would be nothing like cosgraves cs&r or o Connells.

Yeah they have limited space, The other 2 operators have more.

Prompto are looking for rigid and artic drivers if you know of anyone interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

I would be interested in seeing a truck sub-forum on boards.ie, there's enough interest for such a sub-forum imho.

Silvera wrote: »
    I would be interested in seeing a truck sub-forum on boards.ie, there's enough interest for such a sub-forum imho.

I definitely believe so. Even the poll and comments are backing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

This thread has had me watching youtube vids on Truck shifting for the last 45 mins. I've no explanation as to why I found it so interesting I'll never drive a truck, however clutch-less shifting was kinda cool.

Nate

This thread has had me watching youtube vids on Truck shifting for the last 45 mins. I've no explanation as to why I found it so interesting I'll never drive a truck, however clutch-less shifting was kinda cool.

Nate

Look up how a crash gearbox works :D

There isn't a company out there that aren't looking for drivers the shortage is going to be a serious issue. I really wonder what it's going to be like in ten years time

Companies are trying to have their cake and eat it.

Looking for drivers and saying they must have experience.

It’s impossible to fill every single position with experienced drivers.

Loads are leaving the industry due to the low wages/long hours scenario.

The example of €9 odd an hour plus the expenses isn’t enough for a family man to look after a wife and kids.

In 5 years time it’ll be very bad, in 10 years time worse again.

Another example is working for €80 per day before tax plus expenses until all the work is done 12-15 hours, plus the physical labour, there’s easier ways to make a living.

There is a few very odd few paying a little better but your out in the cab 4 or 5 nights a week.
    Money will come up it has no other choice but your looking at 70 hours a week to bring home something decent

Yeah the good paying companies are few and far between.

What is already happening is due to the driver shortage, companies aren't getting their good on time and are giving out stink.

Even more baffling is how somebody stacking shelves can be paid far more for less risk, a buddy of mine is working in Dunnes on €16 an hour, while the trucker with the major responsibilities on the road is paid 30-40% less.

I've had some contact in one way or another most weeks from transport managers wanting to know will i go and work for them, i turned them all down, where i am, the money isn't fantastic but it ain't the worst either and i do roughly 50/55 hours a week at the very most.

Looking forward to seeing how these driverless trucks work in the UK later this year, Even though there will be a driver onboard, they will only take over in an emergency or where deemed appropriate.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/driverless-trucks-to-hit-british-roads-by-end-of-next-year-1.3198425

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Looking forward to seeing how these driverless trucks work in the UK later this year, Even though there will be a driver onboard, they will only take over in an emergency or where deemed appropriate.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/driverless-trucks-to-hit-british-roads-by-end-of-next-year-1.3198425

I can't see this method working. The whole point of self driving vehicles is to remove the risk of the driver not paying attention. If a driver struggles to pay attention to the risk while controlling the vehicle how are they going to stay alert to risk when they have nothing to do. We need to go level 4 autonomous before it's released.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    I can't see this method working. The whole point of self driving vehicles is to remove the risk of the driver not paying attention. If a driver struggles to pay attention to the risk while controlling the vehicle how are they going to stay alert to risk when they have nothing to do. We need to go level 4 autonomous before it's released.

Is level 4 possible in trucks at this point in time?

Human error does of course occur, but is a machine only as good as the person who programs it? i.e a Human in many cases?

Advertisement