Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spawell..

Options
  • 23-03-2012 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

Hey..Anybody in Spawell recently? Was wondering how much basket of balls for the range are..seem to remember early price..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

E9 for XL bucket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Cheers Whyner is that the early price?? Before a certain time I think they had an offer last time I was there..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Don't know about early prices, but they have different sizes from about E6 upwards.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Yeah think it ranges from 6-9. Think they do a range card, 10 medium buckets for €55?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Special Offer: Any Size Bucket €6.00 before 2pm (Monday to Friday)

Linky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 doenahs

Evening all and a bit of bad news.
    I was at the spawell driving range yesterday and there was a note at the ball dispenser to say that Carr golf was ending the running of the facility at the end of this month and to use all credits before then.
    I asked the lad in the shop if someone was taking over and he said no-it was being closed down.
    There is a petition in the shop going to try and stop the closure!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

https://www.change.org/p/dublin-gaa-keep-the-spawell-driving-range-open-to-the-public

The GAA have bought the grounds - there's a change.org petition attempting to keep it open but the GAA wants to shut it down
    As you may know, Dublin GAA have bought the grounds of the Spawell Complex and they have decided to close down the Driving Range on the 30th of September 2018. This petitions goal is to keep the driving range operational as its a local asset, it has been around for many many years and is a very well known driving range in the GDA as the driving range has been around for over 60 years.
    We need as many signatures as possible in order for this to be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Rikand wrote: »
    https://www.change.org/p/dublin-gaa-keep-the-spawell-driving-range-open-to-the-public

The GAA have bought the grounds - there's a change.org petition attempting to keep it open but the GAA wants to shut it down

Just when I thought it wasn’t possible to hate the GAA anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Just when I thought it wasn’t possible to hate the GAA anymore...

Why?

Don't see what they have done wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Busiest driving range in the country possibly. Can imagine it'll be missed by lots. Fair few teaching pro's up there too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Why?

Don't see what they have done wrong.

A few teaching pros could possibly lose their jobs unless they can find homes elsewhere

Of course, the GAA will create jobs for their own, so its swings and roundabouts.

Rikand wrote: »
    A few teaching pros could possibly lose their jobs unless they can find homes elsewhere

Of course, the GAA will create jobs for their own, so its swings and roundabouts.
    Pretty sure that the plan is to demolish the whole site & build a stadium on it, if memory serves me right

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

Yeah, sold last year for an interestingly low amount, 9m. I'm no GAA fan, but from a transport point of view it actually will be in a good spot. Shame to see the range and the P&P course go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

Pretty sure that the plan is to demolish the whole site & build a stadium on it, if memory serves me right

I though that plan had been binned?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

SteM wrote: »
    I though that plan had been binned?

Yeah there was initial talk of something like a 25k seater stadium but as far as I know it was downgraded to a much smaller training stadium and several pitches. A centre of excellence sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

There's also tennis courts, squash courts, astro for 5 aside.

It's a damn shame nobody bought it out to invest and upgrade all the existing amenities. It's always wedged with people.

The p&p course could be turned into a decent 9 hole or a proper p&p course.

The GAA buying it is better than housing going on it but it's still a shame to lose such a variety of activities for one activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

There's also tennis courts, squash courts, astro for 5 aside.

It's a damn shame nobody bought it out to invest and upgrade all the existing amenities. It's always wedged with people.

The p&p course could be turned into a decent 9 hole or a proper p&p course.

The GAA buying it is better than housing going on it but it's still a shame to lose such a variety of activities for one activity.

Tennis courts are long gone but the astro is always busy. Also there are several other businesses running out of the place, a barber, hairdresser and I think a small grind school and of course the snooker club. As far as I know they do plan on keeping some form of bar on the site. The site was famous for constantly having various plans such as hotels proposed. Its good to have a sport facility going in there but yes it will be a pity to lose all of those amenities too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

My golf winter training facility will be no more :(

benny79 wrote: »

Yeah, was very handy alright. My course has a driving range, but no covered bays, so Spawell was useful when the bad weather kicked in

• Advertisement

Yeah very disppointing :mad: will be going a few times before it closes!

Can anyone recommend an alternative in south dublin?

Used to like the driving range near the airport when I worked nearby, but wouldn't be worth the trip for me now.

Yeah very disppointing :mad: will be going a few times before it closes!

Used to like the driving range near the airport when I worked nearby, but wouldn't be worth the trip for me now.
    Leopardstown is similar to Spawell for covered bays.
    The grass section isn't great though, which is what I go to the range for mainly. I was kicked out by the groundskeeper a few weeks ago claiming its only for lessons & academy;)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

Celbridge, Leopardstown, Stepaside, Greystones come to mind as alternatives in south Dublin

bmay529 wrote:
    Celbridge, Leopardstown, Stepaside, Greystones come to mind as alternatives in south Dublin

Do you know if cellbridge/stepaside have grass sections?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Stepaside doesnt anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Can anyone confirm that they're still honouring the prepaid cards down in Spawell?

Celbridge does its down the end on left side of the range when you come in, there is a small short game area down the right when you come in as well. Found it a good replacement for Spawell when I moved house. I think Spawell's grass bays were better managed in that by using different sections on different weeks, Celbridge just seem to keep it open always and last fer weeks ago it was tough to find a nice spot to hit off

https://www.newcastlegolfcentredublin.com/

This might fit your needs. Not far off the N7, between Baldonnel & Newcastle. Has covered bays with mats & open grass bays.

Pretty sure that there are a couple of practice bunkers & a short game section

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Spawell driving range is re-opening on February 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

The Nal wrote: »
    Spawell driving range is re-opening on February 1st.

Yeah I heard it was reopening as well. The story I heard was that the GAA have pulled out their plans for a high performance centre . Does anyone know if it will be on a permanent basis .Is it a new operator or Carr golf ?

Advertisement