Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spawell..

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,710 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

everything is so expensive here.

every single bay at St Andrews range has Trackman
    bag of 75 balls was £6 or 100 balls for £7.50 with no peak hours restrictions

so that's about 9c per ball in St Andrews v's 33c per ball in Spawell (for what most will feel is an inferior product), that's nearly 4 times more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 17,710 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Seve OB wrote: »
    everything is so expensive here.

every single bay at St Andrews range has Trackman
    bag of 75 balls was £6 or 100 balls for £7.50 with no peak hours restrictions

so that's about 9c per ball in St Andrews v's 33c per ball in Spawell (for what most will feel is an inferior product), that's nearly 4 times more expensive

Well off to St Andrews then!! :)

No seriously it is pricey but its the only driving range in Ireland with top tracer so in theory they can charge what they like.

I might give it a go myself over the next few weeks if I'm over that direction. I'd imagine it's very handy for getting your club distances.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

60 balls is one hour??

No seriously it is pricey but its the only driving range in Ireland with top tracer so in theory they can charge what they like.

I might give it a go myself over the next few weeks if I'm over that direction. I'd imagine it's very handy for getting your club distances.

Just back, did you not see the thread :D

but re the Spawell, i'll probably go once or twice. won't be going out of my way though.
    but if prices were more affordable, you would just go there every time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Great for gap testing your clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭redhill

It’s the 2nd in Ireland actually, Colin Glen in Belfast has it, and yes those prices in Spawell are a joke, Belfast is £5 a bucket and a Card of 5 buckets is only £20.
    The range is great, the top tracer is very accurate for your ball movement, however distance is a bit out, they themselves reckon it’s 8-12% lower...

Just notice it says introductory offer.
    Wonder what price will be when offer is over

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

I'd love to open a driving range like TopGolf in America! They look class like a bowling alley. You can get beer, food, play games and there not even that big as they have big nets all around.. Maybe a few boardies can get together and we chip in! or my 6 numbers will come out :D

Id say they would rack it in over here! all have trackman or shoot tracer too..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

benny79 wrote: »
    Maybe a few boardies can get together and we chip in! or my 6 numbers will come in

You might need to win a few Lottos. The Vegas one cost 50 million, average set up is about 25 million

• Advertisement

I've played the one in London. It's not really for golfers, or at least not for taking seriously. It's basically a night out, or in our case a morning out... A proper session and great craic. We couldn't get a bay at 11am, mobbed.

I read somewhere that Tadhg Harrington had looked at setting one up here and cost was way to prohibitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

You might need to win a few Lottos. The Vegas one cost 50 million, average set up is about 25 million

Jesus thats mad money! sure you'd buy a Golf course for that! probably even 2 ffs... Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

benny79 wrote: »
    I'd love to open a driving range like TopGolf in America! They look class like a bowling alley. You can get beer, food, play games and there not even that big as they have big nets all around.. Maybe a few boardies can get together and we chip in! or my 6 numbers will come out :D

Id say they would rack it in over here! all have trackman or shoot tracer too..

ive always wondered why someone with cash doesnt do this its a simple idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

irish_man wrote: »
    Was back there today and they have made great improvements. The majority of bays have mirrors for alignment. Nice new yardage markers. The mats still aren't completely flat, that's what I'm blaming my slices on anyway! They have a deal Mon-Fri before 2.

With top tracer imminent, Spawell Golf Academy will be very busy.

Its €7.50 for any basket between 9am-2pm Monday to Friday. IMO that's the only time worth goinf because €10 for a large basket (90) is too expensive to go regularly.

Top Tracer is €15 including 60 balls and booking is mandatory. I remember the old Spawell range and the new one is improved newer mats, more mirrors etc plus a practise sand bunker. But too pricey to go regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

talla10 wrote: »
    Its €7.50 for any basket between 9am-2pm Monday to Friday. IMO that's the only time worth goinf because €10 for a large basket (90) is too expensive to go regularly.

Top Tracer is €15 including 60 balls and booking is mandatory. I remember the old Spawell range and the new one is improved newer mats, more mirrors etc plus a practise sand bunker. But too pricey to go regularly
    Is there a time limit on the 60 balls?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,095 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

gypsy79 wrote: »

I'm guessing the time is for the monitor, you can use as many balls as you want, they happen to ive you 60 "for free" when you book the monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

gypsy79 wrote: »

I've asked this question on Twitter and awaiting a response as its a bit inconclusive from their initial advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

lowelife wrote: »
    I've asked this question on Twitter and awaiting a response as its a bit inconclusive from their initial advert.

I was there last Sunday and took my time and there didn't seem to be any time limit.

It was a bit contrary at the start and didn't pick up 3 or 4 of my first 10 probably due to calibration issues and my wonky ballflight :D. I was going through the bag trying to hit 4/5 per club to find distance.

I added a few of my own hard balls in my bag that id found during rounds at the end as i wanted a few more at the long drive and the screen shut off after the 60 balls had been tracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

RedorDead wrote: »
    I was there last Sunday and took my time and there didn't seem to be any time limit.

It was a bit contrary at the start and didn't pick up 3 or 4 of my first 10 probably due to calibration issues and my wonky ballflight :D. I was going through the bag trying to hit 4/5 per club to find distance.

I added a few of my own hard balls in my bag that id found during rounds at the end as i wanted a few more at the long drive and the screen shut off after the 60 balls had been tracked.

What are the balls like? Was going to go up to get a better idea of yardages for each club, not much point if it's range balls.

Advertisement