Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spawell..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vkus6mt3y8zg2q

rooney30 wrote: »
    Yeah I heard it was reopening as well. The story I heard was that the GAA have pulled out their plans for a high performance centre . Does anyone know if it will be on a permanent basis .Is it a new operator or Carr golf ?

New operator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

The Nal wrote: »
    Spawell driving range is re-opening on February 1st.

Where did you hear this

• Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Synode wrote: »
    Where did you hear this

From a guy who was in the club shop redecorating. Was there yesterday and saw some activity so threw the head in the door and asked. GAA changed their mind it seems. Pitch and putt is still gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Yeah I heard it was reopening as well. The story I heard was that the GAA have pulled out their plans for a high performance centre . Does anyone know if it will be on a permanent basis .Is it a new operator or Carr golf ?

I heard this too from the onsite barber.

I had heard that Carr Golf were looking to invest in the place initially but couldn't get a long term lease to make it worth their while. This was based on the GAA having future plans for development.

It is now being reopening under new management. Not sure what sort of arrangement of lease details they have. I do know any time I was there it was always busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

I still have €50 on my card so I hope it gets honoured!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Great news. Anyone got a link for it?

New operator. Peter Lawrie bought the lease. 3 years and 4 month lease with an option to extend.

Old cards won't be accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

The Nal wrote: »
    New operator. Peter Lawrie bought the lease. 3 years and 4 month lease with an option to extend.

Old cards won't be accepted.

That doesn't make much sense from the GAA's point of view. Do they no longer want to develop the site? Where'd you hear it?

Synode wrote: »
    That doesn't make much sense from the GAA's point of view. Do they no longer want to develop the site? Where'd you hear it?

Was speaking to one of the guys today in the golf shop. He was directing traffic re: the painters and decorators. They're currently doing it up.

GAA still gong ahead with developing the pitch and putt course. Starting next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭rooney30

The story I heard was that the GAA had pulled out of their plans for a high performance centre at the spawell and were using a site they had acquired on the Northside instead .Heard this from an employee in one of the businesses up there, don’t know how true this is

Does anyone know for a fact what’s going on there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

There's a niche in the market for a range to have trackman in every bay

The story I heard was that the GAA had pulled out of their plans for a high performance centre at the spawell and were using a site they had acquired on the Northside instead .Heard this from an employee in one of the businesses up there, don’t know how true this is

Does anyone know for a fact what’s going on there ?

Yes they're starting work next week. Guy in the golf shop told me and so did the manager of the snooker hall. Spoke to them both today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,708 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    I still have €50 on my card so I hope it gets honoured!

It wont, but Carr Golf will honour in Elmgreen

I got added mine

• Registered Users Posts: 27,090 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Stacksey wrote: »
    There's a niche in the market for a range to have trackman in every bay

Maybe, but its a big investment and a slow return.

I think a couple of bays would be plenty, most people don't know what to do with the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

Range is open now but no afternoon specials so I’ll stick with Leopardstown until they sort that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Range is open now but no afternoon specials so I’ll stick with Leopardstown until they sort that out.

You obviously have never heard lawrie speak. He thinks, golfers are there to be milked

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I'm presuming there's been no upgrades to the facilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

A lick of paint is all I have heard off. I wonder did they get new mats & balls which were badly needed it was always the dearest range around but the biggest and busiest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭rooney30

I would hope Peter upgrades the facility. Before Carr golf closed the place standards had been slipping . Matts were in poor enough shape . You would often have to go hunting to find a tee as many bays simply would not have them. Balls were so so. You were paying top dollar for the priveledge too
    Compared to Leopardstown it was some way behind .
    Don’t mind paying but standards need to match the price

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

rooney30 wrote:
    I would hope Peter upgrades the facility. Before Carr golf closed the place standards had been slipping . Matts were in poor enough shape . You would often have to go hunting to find a tee as many bays simply would not have them. Balls were so so. You were paying top dollar for the priveledge too Compared to Leopardstown it was some way behind . Don’t mind paying but standards need to match the price

Would agree. Both Leapardstown and Stepaside in much better shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

How much is a basket lads?

benny79 wrote: »
    A lick of paint is all I have heard off. I wonder did they get new mats & balls which were badly needed it was always the dearest range around but the biggest and busiest.

Was up there today playing snooker and threw the head in the door. Theres way less stuff in the shop than there was. Not sure about the mats etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Popped in yesterday to have a look. New mats look good. Apart from that and a lick of paint not much else. Sparse distance markers. Well, it's open anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭irish_man

Was there yesterday. €7.50 for 60 balls or €10 for 100 I think. I always think I should ask the person behind me to split a large bucket! Expensive seeing I went in at 2pm when it was dead and the product you get. I remember it being cheaper before.

It looks ok with the lick of paint it got. The mats are fresh but they aren't flat. A mirror behind you for alignment would be great. They didn't even have the plastic things to put your golf balls in. It needs more work overall.

Leopardstown is streets ahead. Unfortunately for me it's 15 min further away than the Spawell.

What people have to factor in when complaining about facilities it the reason Carr golf left was they couldn't get a lease long enough to justify them making the required investment to upgrade the facilities.

Based on this you can be pretty sure Peter Lawrie has the same type of constraint with regard to how long his current lease is for and how much he is willing to invest based on this.

The main thing from looking at pictures and social media etc is that he does seem to be trying to make a good go of it and there and I'm sure it will bed down in the coming weeks or months.

Exactly wrote: »
    What people have to factor in when complaining about facilities it the reason Carr golf left was they couldn't get a lease long enough to justify them making the required investment to upgrade the facilities.

Based on this you can be pretty sure Peter Lawrie has the same type of constraint with regard to how long his current lease is for and how much he is willing to invest based on this.

The main thing from looking at pictures and social media etc is that he does seem to be trying to make a good go of it and there and I'm sure it will bed down in the coming weeks or months.

They have 3 years + on the lease with an option to extend. Enough to justify a little more cash. Maybe they will as we go into spring/summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭redhill

A range in Belfast is about to open with Top Tracer, I had a preview look at it and it looks amazing, Trackman like, but maybe not the full spec that Trackman is etc, has a lot more games etc to bring families into it, anyway the guy said Spawell was rumoured to be getting it as well.

Here’s a YouTube link to a range with it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RxIBKNy1nT0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭irish_man

irish_man wrote: »
    Was there yesterday. €7.50 for 60 balls or €10 for 100 I think. I always think I should ask the person behind me to split a large bucket! Expensive seeing I went in at 2pm when it was dead and the product you get. I remember it being cheaper before.

It looks ok with the lick of paint it got. The mats are fresh but they aren't flat. A mirror behind you for alignment would be great. They didn't even have the plastic things to put your golf balls in. It needs more work overall.

Leopardstown is streets ahead. Unfortunately for me it's 15 min further away than the Spawell.

Was back there today and they have made great improvements. The majority of bays have mirrors for alignment. Nice new yardage markers. The mats still aren't completely flat, that's what I'm blaming my slices on anyway! They have a deal Mon-Fri before 2.

With top tracer imminent, Spawell Golf Academy will be very busy.

Advertisement