Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭jonok28

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I can see the league still taking action against him, as they’ve banned guys for less. His ex-girlfriend was on Good Morning America telling her story, claiming she made up her recanting last year. I gave him the benefit of the doubt when it came out first last off season, but he just can’t be trusted. Even if she is lying about what happened the utter stupidity or lack of care to bring her to the team hotel says it all.

As a player Foster could end up being great but so far it looks like his body can’t handle his style of play, even with his attempts to change his technique, so would likely end up being a consistent sick note. It is possible the whole thing turns out to be a blessing in disguise, as if the off the field issues didn’t go so public prior to the draft then we may not have drafted Warner. He was amazing values for where we got him, having a great rookie season and from everything appears to be a model pro.

Warner was a guy I was really high on in college, his tackle count and work rate is amazing, If we draft Josh Allen I think we should invest in another ILB in free agency, I'd be all over Cory Littleton off of the Rams. He is restricted but with the Rams spending serious cash on flashy players I wouldn't be shocked if he slipped through the cracks and can be got for a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

As was hoped for a while ago in the thread, the 49ers have sacked the strength and conditioning coach. I was skeptical of this making too much difference but fingers crossed that it does. The number of injuries over the last 2 years has been insane and would have ruined the seasons of practically any other team who hoped to challenge for the playoffs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I wasn't calling for someone to be sacked but with the amount of injuries questions needed to be asked. Some injuries are just pure freaks but others are preventable. The surface at Levi stadium is probably not helping either.

Probably harsh to get the sack but after 2 years I think it stops becoming a coincidence.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Cheap flights to SF, pity the NFL wouldn't sort out their schedule a bit sooner.....

https://www.secretflying.com/posts/dublin-ireland-san-francisco-usa-e269-roundtrip/

Id say there is actually a fairly decent chance that the 49ers play in London this year against the Buccaneers. They haven't been in London since 2013.

• Advertisement

Just after watching the highlights of Josh Allen in the Citrus Bowl against Penn State, Jesus Christ he was dominant, 3 Sacks and a blocked field goal. He had 17 sacks for the season also. I would gladly take him at 2. There is no way he makes it past the Raiders at 4 and I'm fairly sure the Jets might take him at 3. We haven't had a dominant Pass Rusher since Aldon Smith and it has really held our Defense back. Buckner was able to get 12 Sacks this season attacking the interior of the Defense but if we add Josh Allen we will have that edge rusher who can really put the QB under pressure.

jonok28 wrote: »
    Just after watching the highlights of Josh Allen in the Citrus Bowl against Penn State, Jesus Christ he was dominant, 3 Sacks and a blocked field goal. He had 17 sacks for the season also. I would gladly take him at 2. There is no way he makes it past the Raiders at 4 and I'm fairly sure the Jets might take him at 3. We haven't had a dominant Pass Rusher since Aldon Smith and it has really held our Defense back. Buckner was able to get 12 Sacks this season attacking the interior of the Defense but if we add Josh Allen we will have that edge rusher who can really put the QB under pressure.

Really like him, especially how much he has improved in the last year. Looking forward to seeing how he tests in the combine. Looks to potentially have a higher ceiling than Bosa, with Bosa being better day 1.

Buckner's stats should go even higher next year once we get a decent edge guy (or 2 hopefully). What he did year was crazy given how little impact Marsh etc were having flustering the QB and making them step up.

With the Haskins news I think we now either get our choice of Bosa/Allen or a ransom from a trade.

Might turn out better for us that only one of the top QBs declared.

With the Haskins news I think we now either get our choice of Bosa/Allen or a ransom from a trade.

Might turn out better for us that only one of the top QBs declared.

I think if he has a good combine the 49ers could be fielding calls for the pick. The Cardinals would probably trade down with the right price as pass rusher isn't a huge need for them, if thats the case I take Nick Bosa no questions asked. If I'm John Lynch I am asking for a ransom for the pick and then using some of that draft capital to land Antonio Brown while maintaining our first round pick this year. I think if the Cardinals take Bosa we can probably land a Two firsts and a second for Haskins.

Not sure if you guys got to see the College Championship game last night but it was great to see Levi's packed and how loud it was. The stadium has many issues but if we start having success and fill it up I think it could turn into a true home advantage (which I had my doubts about).

• Advertisement

The problem is the ticket prices keep a lot of the old Candlestick regulars away. Also in the early season a lot of the seats are exposed to the sun which makes it pretty uncomfortable to sit there. Obviously a successful team would improve matters but they made a lot of mistakes with this stadium and like most teams are targeting higher earners which is going to have an impact on the atmosphere.

Not sure if you guys got to see the College Championship game last night but it was great to see Levi's packed and how loud it was. The stadium has many issues but if we start having success and fill it up I think it could turn into a true home advantage (which I had my doubts about).

I caught the highlights of it this morning, That was an Ass Kicking. I've never been a fan of Levi, I loved Candlestick Park and the history the 49ers had there. When I heard they were building a new stadium I was hoping for something along the lines of Cowboy stadium or even The Mercedes-Benz Superdome but Levi just looks like an old school stadium. The crowd was insane last night so hopefully we can get something similar for the 9ers next season.

All those issues definitely keep people away but I think one of the biggest problems is that it is such a trek to get to. Candlestick wasn't central either but it was much more accessible, especially those who aren't driving and have to get to a train station, take a 1.5 hour train, then finally another tram.

When you add in the other issues you noted I can understand people not bothering to turn up there recently to watch a poor team. Last night was however my first time to think it could overcome all of its flaws and not be a total disaster that we were stuck with long term.

Looks like Brown is done with the Steelers and that the cap hit actually isn't as bad as first feared for the Steelers. The Steelers would absorb $21.12 million in 2019 dead money on the salary cap by trading Brown, but taking his $22.165 million cap charge off the books would offset that cost. I've been having a look around and the 49ers could fetch a relatively nice haul while staying in the top ten in the draft for example. San Francisco deals the second overall pick to Jacksonville for the seventh pick, a second-round pick and third-round pick in 2019 and a first-round pick in 2020. The first round pick next year and maybe a third this year would be enough to land Brown, it could actually be nearly enough to land OBJ. I would love if we landed Nick Bosa or Josh Allen but it is a deep draft at pass rusher and someone like Clein Ferrell, Rashan Gary or Montez Sweat would still be a really good option to take if it meant we landed Antonio Brown and got more draft picks from the Jaguars, seems like the best of both worlds.

I'd be against giving up anything like that for Antonio Brown. I genuinely hope he goes somewhere else. He seems to cause too much trouble, he's gone missing on the Steelers 3 times this year, including right before their biggest game of the year.

Talented and all as he is we are still rebuilding and are short a lot of pieces. By the time we are challenging again we will be 32/33. And also giving Pittsburgh these draft picks will set us back in our rebuild particularly on the defensive side of the ball.

I want to see either Nick Bosa or Josh Allen selected at number 2. If we go after Brown I don't think we should be giving up a first round pick for him. A 3rd this year and a 2nd next year should be the highest they go, if that's not good enough than so be it.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I'd be against giving up anything like that for Antonio Brown. I genuinely hope he goes somewhere else. He seems to cause too much trouble, he's gone missing on the Steelers 3 times this year, including right before their biggest game of the year.

Talented and all as he is we are still rebuilding and are short a lot of pieces. By the time we are challenging again we will be 32/33. And also giving Pittsburgh these draft picks will set us back in our rebuild particularly on the defensive side of the ball.

I want to see either Nick Bosa or Josh Allen selected at number 2. If we go after Brown I don't think we should be giving up a first round pick for him. A 3rd this year and a 2nd next year should be the highest they go, if that's not good enough than so be it.

Maybe a 3rd this year a second next year and Pierre Garcon might be enough to get a deal done. I know Brown can be trouble and OBJ would be my first option but Brown is without question a top 3 if not top 2 receiver in the NFL who is currently in his prime. Yes we might only get 3 good years out of him but he would accelerate the rebuild significantly. Just the thought of Kittle, Pettis, Goodwin and Brown being weapons for Jimmy G sounds too good to pass up. Receivers like Brown don't come on the market every day. I think Kyle has shown a willingness to swing for the fences when he tried to land OBJ last year and Mack this season. Why not pull the trigger on a deal when if you trade down 4 or 5 spots you land a generational WR, still land one of the best Edge rushers in the draft and walk away with another 1st round pick next year.

Problem is that with the 2.5m roster bonus he's due on Paddy's Day I think the trade will likely need to be done for him before that and it'll be unlikely any draft deals would be in place with the 49ers by that point as team's will likely be waiting to either do a deal with the Cardinals or seeing what they do (unless it is situation like in 2016 when two teams moved up for QBs pre draft but even that was closer to the day).

I think if Bosa is there for whatever reason it is hard to trade out of 2 but if not I'm ok with trading down unless they have a clear #2 edge rusher. Even with the draft being deep in that position it is just too much of a key need to be messing around and getting your 4th/5th choice.

On Brown I'd offer them our 2nd this year for him, with a possibility of adding a 3rd or at a push maybe a 2nd from 2020. He'd really help and set our offense for the next 3 years but I feel another team will come in and offer more and I wouldn't feel comfortable with matching at this stage.

Problem is that with the 2.5m roster bonus he's due on Paddy's Day I think the trade will likely need to be done for him before that and it'll be unlikely any draft deals would be in place with the 49ers by that point as team's will likely be waiting to either do a deal with the Cardinals or seeing what they do (unless it is situation like in 2016 when two teams moved up for QBs pre draft but even that was closer to the day).

I think if Bosa is there for whatever reason it is hard to trade out of 2 but if not I'm ok with trading down unless they have a clear #2 edge rusher. Even with the draft being deep in that position it is just too much of a key need to be messing around and getting your 4th/5th choice.

On Brown I'd offer them our 2nd this year for him, with a possibility of adding a 3rd or at a push maybe a 2nd from 2020. He'd really help and set our offense for the next 3 years but I feel another team will come in and offer more and I wouldn't feel comfortable with matching at this stage.

If another team came in and offered more than us I would not match or exceed that offer. I feel comfortable enough with Pettis,Goodwin, Taylor and Bourne being our depth chart before Free Agency or the Draft starts, if we don't do a trade we need to bring in someone via the draft or FA. Here is hoping that some decent WR are released by their teams because the current Free Agent group of receivers are pretty poor.

Shanahan turning down numerous interviews for their WR, RB, and QB coaches.

Glad they're keeping the group intact while they're trying to move towards a winning season. I'd expect this was something agreed with the group beforehand, probably to stay together for one more year.

Might end up being better for the coaches also when you look at the interest in HC roles that McVay's guys are getting. If the 49ers can push for the playoffs its likely the stock of the 49ers coaching staff will increase even more than currently and they could get offers for better OC jobs and even HC interviews.

Shanahan turning down numerous interviews for their WR, RB, and QB coaches.

Glad they're keeping the group intact while they're trying to move towards a winning season. I'd expect this was something agreed with the group beforehand, probably to stay together for one more year.

Might end up being better for the coaches also when you look at the interest in HC roles that McVay's guys are getting. If the 49ers can push for the playoffs its likely the stock of the 49ers coaching staff will increase even more than currently and they could get offers for better OC jobs and even HC interviews.

Continuity might end up being really important for this 49ers team, I think with all players healthy, a coaching staff that has built trust and relationships with the players as well as a good Draft and Free Agency can be the key to the 49ers getting to the playoffs.

• Advertisement

Looks like they changed their mind and let the QB interview with the Broncos for their OC job. Despite being spoken highly of it is not the end of the world if he goes, especially with the potential upside if he attempts to talk them into giving up some picks to trade for Mullens.

49ers have confirmed they've changed up their DL coach. I don't know much about him but he was apparently chased by a number of teams and getting sacks/pressure is clearly an issue. From the below I took from reddit he seems like a decent hire and will also know a lot about Ansah if he makes it to FA and there's potential that he might take a more team friendly deal if he really wanted to work with him as a coach again.
    Kocurek’s defensive linemen accumulated 250 sacks while he was Detroit’s defensive line coach from 2010-17, the fourth-most by a team’s defensive linemen in the NFL during that span. His defensive linemen also ranked No. 5 in forced fumbles with 57 and No. 10 in passes defensed with 82 since 2010. His rush defenses have ranked in the NFL’s top 20 in each of the past six seasons and his teams have been among the league’s top 10 in sacks in four of his nine years. Since his promotion to defensive line coach in 2010, he helped the Lions rank in the top half of the league in both rush defense and total team sacks. The Lions were 10th in the NFL in rush defense, limiting opponents to 109.0 rushing yards per game, and 14th in total team sacks with 298 during that span.

Looks like they changed their mind and let the QB interview with the Broncos for their OC job. Despite being spoken highly of it is not the end of the world if he goes, especially with the potential upside if he attempts to talk them into giving up some picks to trade for Mullens.

49ers have confirmed they've changed up their DL coach. I don't know much about him but he was apparently chased by a number of teams and getting sacks/pressure is clearly an issue. From the below I took from reddit he seems like a decent hire and will also know a lot about Ansah if he makes it to FA and there's potential that he might take a more team friendly deal if he really wanted to work with him as a coach again.

Kris Kocurek from what I read is considered one of the best Defensive Line Coaches in the NFL and I am excited to see what he can do to improve our Defensive Line, I think Saleh needs as much experience and help to make his job easier, Kocurek will focus on the D Line, Saleh should focus on working with the Linebackers and whoever they bring in as DB coach will run that unit.

The 49ers have added Joe Woods to the coaching staff as the "passing game coordinator" which probably means he is the going to be the DB coach as well as working under Kyle by giving him insight into the mind of defensive backs which might make the 49ers WR's a bit more potent. He was the DC in Denver under Vance Joseph, could be a good hire.

jonok28 wrote: »
    The 49ers have added Joe Woods to the coaching staff as the "passing game coordinator" which probably means he is the going to be the DB coach as well as working under Kyle by giving him insight into the mind of defensive backs which might make the 49ers WR's a bit more potent. He was the DC in Denver under Vance Joseph, could be a good hire.

Think that is a good hire. Seemed to be potentially out of his depth at DC but hard to say how much of that was on Joseph and how terrible their offense was. Woods looks to have coached some very good DB groups over the years and, similar to the DL, our DBs have to show some improvement.

This is a pretty good breakdown of draft edge rushers which should come in handy over the next few months

https://www.the49ershub.com/single-post/2019/01/07/Zachs-Draft-Corner-Edge-Position-PrimerTutorialTop-10-Team-Draft-Needs-National-Championship-Breakdown

This is a pretty good breakdown of draft edge rushers which should come in handy over the next few months

https://www.the49ershub.com/single-post/2019/01/07/Zachs-Draft-Corner-Edge-Position-PrimerTutorialTop-10-Team-Draft-Needs-National-Championship-Breakdown

There is depth in this Edge rusher class. I would not be against moving down, I've watched even more film on Josh Allen and he is starting to worry me a bit, he tries to beat everyone with his athleticism but when against someone who is able to get infront of him he doesn't seem to have any counter moves and seems to give up a bit, that has me a bit worried, don't get me wrong he is still a fantastic player and if he adds them moves he will be very hard to stop but there are alot of pass rushers in this class I would be comfortable trading down and taking. I like Montez Sweat in the 20's.

If I'm the 49ers I would trade down and allow a QB needy team to take Kyler Murray or Dwayne Haskins. Stock up on picks, Trade 2nd overall pick to Jacksonville for the seventh pick, a second-round pick and third-round pick in 2019 and a first-round pick in 2020. Then Trade 7 and a 3rd to the Packers for 12 and 32. I'd take Brian Burns OLB at 12 and Trevon Diggs CB at 32. I'd take Andre Dillard OT and Germaine Pratt ILB ( With the Jags pick) in the second.

I do realise this is very very unrealistic but allow my imagination to run wild:D

As long as they don't give up any top 2 picks to the Steelers for AB I'm happy enough. The 49ers certainly need a pass rusher but also most of the secondary needs upgrading. We also need a LB. We'll see what free agency brings but I think they need to concentrate on defense and maybe O-line. Kyle will get receivers open, I'm happy enough with a FA pick up and a WR on day 3.

I'd be happy with Brown if we were solid in other positions but we are not. Unless he can be got for a 3rd this year and maybe some 2020 day 2/3 pick I'd like to see the 49ers bow out. The way he has acted during the season and since does not make me feel he would be a good team mate or a positive influence on the locker room. Insanely talented but by the team we are a contender again he will be past his peak. From his point of view he should go to a contender, but Steelers likely won't trade him to a rival.

adrian522 wrote: »
    As long as they don't give up any top 2 picks to the Steelers for AB I'm happy enough. The 49ers certainly need a pass rusher but also most of the secondary needs upgrading. We also need a LB. We'll see what free agency brings but I think they need to concentrate on defense and maybe O-line. Kyle will get receivers open, I'm happy enough with a FA pick up and a WR on day 3.

I'd be happy with Brown if we were solid in other positions but we are not. Unless he can be got for a 3rd this year and maybe some 2020 day 2/3 pick I'd like to see the 49ers bow out. The way he has acted during the season and since does not make me feel he would be a good team mate or a positive influence on the locker room. Insanely talented but by the team we are a contender again he will be past his peak. From his point of view he should go to a contender, but Steelers likely won't trade him to a rival.

I agree we have numerous needs that need to be filled and that's why I think the 9ers need to build as much draft capital in the first 3 rounds as possible. If they could have 2 firsts, 2 seconds and a third then that is alot more valuable than getting Antonio Brown. I think Tyrell Williams WR off the Chargers makes alot more sense, He is 6'4 and put up good numbers, he could be gotten for a relatively good price and would still allow us to get someone in the draft and not throw them into the mix too early. I think we definitely need a tackle this year, Joe Staley isn't going to be around forever and I think having his replacement work with him for a year would be a good idea, could even have that player play guard for the year then move them to Right Tackle.

Don't get me wrong a Pass Rusher is very important but the 49ers have to many needs to just take Josh Allen at 2.

Earl Mitchells option has not been picked up and he becomes a free agent, a bit surprising but not completely unexpected.

• Advertisement

Good move, doubt he'll be the last one to be moved on. Garcon likey to go too.

They have to play their younger guys at this stage.

Advertisement