Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Options
  • 07-05-2008 7:40pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭

An Garda Siochana recruit often. Post your questions, answers, comments, information, advice or experiences here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭onthebeat

Psni, this is just a once off post, but on behalf of evreybody at boards.ie, thanks for sorting the thread out, it had gotton ridiculous, and needed sorting. fair play to you.

I was just wondering,if it isnt too much hassle, could you post a thread for people that have just begun in templemore, tht want to give us hopefuls the low down on life in college? if you could that would be great thanks.

Sorry for the rant.

Lets get posting guys:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭greydiamond

Anyone else waiting patiently for the text/e-mail from publicjobs.ie to say the next drive is open? I know I am!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

Anyone else waiting patiently for the text/e-mail from publicjobs.ie to say the next drive is open? I know I am!:cool:

sure am greydiamond thought it mite of been tuesday but looks like next week hopefully not to much longer. this ur first time applying

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bierhoff1

Anyone know when the next recruitment drive is??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭blue2b

ya ,its today guys!!!!!!!!!go on to www.publicjobis.ie .register with them. good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Stay_in_Kampuchea

It was in the paper today...there not recruiting yet, it's just telling you to register with public jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Chris007

onthebeat wrote: »
    Psni, this is just a once off post, but on behalf of evreybody at boards.ie, thanks for sorting the thread out, it had gotton ridiculous, and needed sorting. fair play to you.

I was just wondering,if it isnt too much hassle, could you post a thread for people that have just begun in templemore, tht want to give us hopefuls the low down on life in college? if you could that would be great thanks.

Sorry for the rant.

Lets get posting guys:cool:

I totaly agree, fair play psni!! :)

That idea of a thread for life in templemore and all its glories would be great too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

isnt there some act that you cant talk about specifics down there?

though i wouldnt even be 20% sure on this :p

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

It was in the paper today...there not recruiting yet, it's just telling you to register with public jobs.

Yeah it looks to be the same on publicjobs.ie . It is only asking people to register for alerts of upcoming campaigns. That's a good sign. Looks like one is on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Stay_in_Kampuchea

Haz33 wrote: »
    Yeah it looks to be the same on publicjobs.ie . It is only asking people to register for alerts of upcoming campaigns. That's a good sign. Looks like one is on the way.

cant wait meself.

• Advertisement

First time applying. Did apply for the reserves but didnt get it:( Kinda glad all the same, was good experience and would be better to become the real thing as apposed to some wannabe) So publicjobs are advising people to register, has to be a good sign. Anyone want to place bets on next monday?:D

First time applying. Did apply for the reserves but didnt get it:( Kinda glad all the same, was good experience and would be better to become the real thing as apposed to some wannabe) So publicjobs are advising people to register, has to be a good sign. Anyone want to place bets on next monday?:D

Just home from work checked public jobs and seen it . thank god its about to start again dont think i could of handled waiting to much longer. lets hope its not any later than monday. let the madness begin people :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

Hey every1,

Just wondering any1 else in the Reserves who's applying for the next recruitment phase?

Hey Greydiamond,

Just referring to ur comment that the reserves are just wannabes.. I'm in the Reserves for the last 6 months and the reason i joined is because i'm still in college and thought the experiences will be good when i do apply for the full time gardai.. Plus to find out is that what i want to do with the rest of my life or just continue with my degree..
    And believe me, when ur on night shifts doing 10pm to 6am and dealing with all that sh*t, who cares if u are full time or part time, the fact is the gardai are seriously lacking man power and every bit helps.

Hope this doesnt come across like i'm arguing with you, just giving you my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 johnnyirish

I sat the aptitude test a few months back, February.
    Now I'm looking to reapply and curious to know whats the likelihood of me being able to reapply in the next intake?
    On public jobs it says 'Applicants will be permitted to undergo elements of the selection process only once within any six month period.'
    In theory if the next aptitudes take place in early August I should be ok?Right?
    How soon are the next round of aptiutdes going to take place?

Hey Greydiamond,

Just referring to ur comment that the reserves are just wannabes.. I'm in the Reserves for the last 6 months and the reason i joined is because i'm still in college and thought the experiences will be good when i do apply for the full time gardai.. Plus to find out is that what i want to do with the rest of my life or just continue with my degree..
    And believe me, when ur on night shifts doing 10pm to 6am and dealing with all that sh*t, who cares if u are full time or part time, the fact is the gardai are seriously lacking man power and every bit helps.

Hope this doesnt come across like i'm arguing with you, just giving you my view.

hey murphy not in the reserves but i totally agree wit ur view. just a quick question how long is the process for the reserves in comparsion to the full garda. hopefully i wont have to but if i dont get guards this time i think it would really help joining the reserve .

soundlad wrote: »
    hey murphy not in the reserves but i totally agree wit ur view. just a quick question how long is the process for the reserves in comparsion to the full garda. hopefully i wont have to but if i dont get guards this time i think it would really help joining the reserve .

Hey,

Applied in April 2007 and was on phase 1 by the end of October..
    I'll send you a PM actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭goouch

End of next week PAS told me today they will be recruiting for a week so start registering now :eek: then end of this month whoever will be given a apptitude date and stage1 begins early June, anyone go to prep classes good bad/ waste of time pm details please

Hey Greydiamond,

I agree with you here murph. I'm sure the comment was tongue in cheek but if he really wants to be a fulltime Garda he is going to have to work with and respect all his colleagues. Who knows, a reserve could save his ass some day. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭goouch

JOHNNYIRISH you definately will have to wait 6months, but yes apply for feedback and appeal your score then see the outcome i think people are crazy not to appeal you just never know it only costs a stamp ,,,,,,,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 johnnyirish

Thanks for that Goouch..
    Completely messed up the analytical reasoning, but then again all I'd gotten were a few books and no courses.
    Is the analytical reasoning something you can improve or is it the sort of thing you either have or your haven't?
    Flew through the other sections, but that section brought me right down..
    So if I can't sit an aptitude in the summer, I take it will be September before the next aptitude will be?

I didnt mean it like that now (im probably still just a bit bitter since I failed). Did someone say that the drive is only going to last a week?? So is anyone going to do one of those external courses? Found one that will send out a CD and booklet with loads of questions for €200. Anyone find anything better?

I didnt mean it like that now (im probably still just a bit bitter since I failed). Did someone say that the drive is only going to last a week?? So is anyone going to do one of those external courses? Found one that will send out a CD and booklet with loads of questions for €200. Anyone find anything better?

I didn't do a course so cant recommend one but I would say that lots of sample questions would have been very helpful so the above sounds OK. Perhaps a bit pricy. I dont know, maybe you get what you pay for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

I wouldn't get a course for the Apptitude test. It's easy enough to finde similar tests on the Internet for free, or at least much much cheaper.

Preparation course for the Interview and Report Writing is a different matter though - I think you would be better of spending your money on that.

I failed the report writing twice, 3rd time I did the 1 day course and passed no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 agent1

You didn't get the reserve, so what makes you think you will get into AGS? Wake up and smell the roses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

agent1 wrote: »
    You didn't get the reserve, so what makes you think you will get into AGS? Wake up and smell the roses.

thats a bit harsh mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

You know nothing about him mate, You don't know why he failed, so why don't you stop being so judgmental.

This thread is for helping people with the process not putting them down. There could be any amount of reasons for not getting the reserves. Perhaps they feel with him being in college, could not give enough of his time to the job but would be able to do so if he was finished his course and went fulltime. Consider all factors before posting in future. :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Banned for trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

for anyone who is applying again after failing, you can only apply after 6 months. this means that anyone who has applied from january of this year and sat the aptituded cant apply now. they will have to wait until september. so basically anyone who applied last year and failed can apply this time.

Advertisement