Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 259

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

mdwexford wrote: »
    Another bizarre Herb Dean stoppage.

Kara-France did amazingly well to not get subbed there.

herb didn't stop it until he came back to hit him after running round octagon

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Great finish and unreal defence to get out of some pretty bad positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

herb didn't stop it until he came back to hit him after running round octagon

I'd be of the train of thought that once Dean touches the fighter, the fight is called.

I don't think that's the rule, I'm sure he has to say "stop", but he didn't exactly give him a chance.

Still though, bizarre!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭eggy81

The €3.00 I had on Kara France for the craic looked gone there. Not sure how he wasn’t put away when he gave up his back. Dis really well to fight the hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Senor Frog

Haha herb looked so confused at the end there during the announcements.

I think he let the fight continue ,and when Kara-France realised what was happening and went for the follow up the buzzer sounded as herb stepped in ? Think herb was thinking round2 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭eggy81

Senor Frog wrote: »
    Haha herb look so confused at the end there during the announcements.

I think he let the fight continue ,and when Kara-France realised what was happening and went for the follow up the buzzer sounded as herb stepped in ? Think herb was thinking round2 ?

Kind of seemed like herb was moving to stop it but was very indecisive about it. Caught by surprise too maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭rob316

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I'd be of the train of thought that once Dean touches the fighter, the fight is called.

I don't think that's the rule, I'm sure he has to say "stop", but he didn't exactly give him a chance.

Still though, bizarre!

He's supposed to wave his hands off. It's worrying when a fighter knows a it's over before the ref. So indecisive

Still though, bizarre!

herb seemed to bump into him rather than drag him away when he dropped him. so he never stopped the fight until he came back.

official time was announced as 4.55? not sure what was on clock when he dropped him

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't get the criticism of Herb here. Kara-France hit Bontorin and he falls and lands on his head so he was properly out. Kara-France walks off straight away and at the same time Herb is running in to stop it. Before he even gets to Kara-France he is already walking away so no need for Herb to try and push him away but it was obvious given his actions the fight was over. Herb was nearly wrapping his arms around Kara-France. The weird part was Kara-France coming in afterwards and attempting a stike.

EDIT: Just watched it back. Herb actually does touch Kara-France, hold him and sort of push him away.

I don't get the criticism of Herb here. Kara-France hit Bontorin and he falls and lands on his head so he was properly out. Kara-France walks off straight away and at the same time Herb is running in to stop it. Before he even gets to Kara-France he is already walking away so no need for Herb to try and push him away but it was obvious given his actions the fight was over. Herb was nearly wrapping his arms around Kara-France. The weird part was Kara-France coming in afterwards and attempting a stike.

at no stage does herb indicate fight is over. what was official time of stoppage?

not when he dropped them and walked off.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    He's supposed to wave his hands off. It's worrying when a fighter knows a it's over before the ref. So indecisive

But Kara-France had run off while Herb was coming in to stop it. He touches KKF and motions him away from his opponent.

KKF knew it was over, Dean knew it was over, the lad seeing stars knew it was over........ I'm not sure Dean is at fault here

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

at no stage does herb indicate fight is over. what was official time of stoppage?

not when he dropped them and walked off.
    I disagree. This is obviously the ref stopping the fight. If you seen this during a fight and it wasn't over you'd be calling the ref a clown.

https://streamable.com/w06n63

I disagree. This is obviously the ref stopping the fight. If you seen this during a fight and it wasn't over you'd be calling the ref a clown.

https://streamable.com/w06n63

Completely unambiguous for me. Also,looked to be about bang on 4:55 too.

Completely unambiguous for me. Also,looked to be about bang on 4:55 too.

Herb runs in puts his hands on Kara-France and bumps him, sees Bontorin getting in and runs to him to protect him. Can't see anything wrong with it at all. The only weird part is Kara-France after wards.

Herb runs in puts his hands on Kara-France and bumps him, sees Bontorin getting in and runs to him to protect him. Can't see anything wrong with it at all. The only weird part is Kara-France after wards.

hes obviously under impression he hasnt stopped the fight.

Is it just me who finds DC absolutely awful on commentary? He's so poor it makes the whole thing seem small-time, like someone's mate being allowed to have a try.

Joey B looking more and more like Eddie Munster every time I see him!

Running away celebrating is a weird way to show it

He's just had the ref grab him and bump him pushing him away. Then the ref is standing over Bontorin in a way that block Kara-France from easily getting to him. The fight is over and it is pretty obvious.

Running away celebrating is a weird way to show it

yep i agree. but how many times do you see someone celebrate before a fight is called

herb wasnt clear fight was over until he came back. it was a strange sequence

• Advertisement

yep i agree. but how many times do you see someone celebrate before a fight is called

herb wasnt clear fight was over until he came back.

The full question here should be:

How often do you see someone celebrate, be grabbed by the ref, be pushed away by the ref and have the ref stand over his opponent and stop him from standing up as he's unsteady from being knocked out?

Never

Benavidez actually looks small here.

That's that for Joey B! Him and Faber will forever be tied for number of UFC titles held.

Game over.

The full question here should be:

How often do you see someone celebrate, be grabbed by the ref, be pushed away by the ref and have the ref stand over his opponent and stop him from standing up as he's unsteady from being knocked out?

Never

as i said i dont disagree that the fight was over when he falls straight down on his head

how is a fight officially called as over?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

After grabbing Kara-France Herb should have stood over the guy and waved his hands over his head to signal it being over.

The fact the fighters, commentators and the viewers weren’t 100% sure what was going on means he didn’t make himself clear, imo.

Askarov was very impressive there, champ in waiting......possibly.

Looking forward to the next fight. It's never a boring fight with Song Yadong involved. I consider him a Gaethje-esque fighter, blocks punches with his face and never stops swinging. Hope he can pull out a win here.
    After grabbing Kara-France Herb should have stood over the guy and waved his hands over his head to signal it being over.

The fact the fighters, commentators and the viewers weren’t 100% sure what was going on means he didn’t make himself clear, imo.

Askarov was very impressive there, champ in waiting......possibly.

This is the main issue I have with Dean, he leaves it open to interpretation. If a fighter walks off thinking he has a KO Dean should either shout "Keep fighting!" if he believes a fighter can still defend himself or wave his hands to signal the fight is off. He seems caught on two minds most of the time.

He could have stood over him doing the Macarena for all Kara-France knew. He was running around the place like a lunatic.

He could have stood over him doing the Macarena for all Kara-France knew. He was running around the place like a lunatic.

Haha you made me laugh out loud with that one. True story.

I don't remember seeing Kyler Phillips fight before but I'll be looking out for him in future. Very impressive

• Advertisement

Close fight. Probably Phillips but could go the other way.

Advertisement