Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the point of producing your licence in 10 days?

• 09-01-2019 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭

I was stopped recently and asked to produce my licence to nearest Garda Station within 10 days.

I dont get it. What does it achieve? It made work for me having to go up there, find parking, go in and produce it. It made work for the guy in there, recording the details. And it made work for the guy who requested I produce it, checking that it was produced.

But to what end? 3 people have now done some work - for what? For the original guy to just cross out that i did it? Is that all it is - a box ticking exercise?

Surely the Gardai know if I have a valid licence or not from the computer system? And if they dont - why dont they? Why is millions being wasted annually on people traipsing up and showing their licence and 2 Guards wasting time on it?

Is it just make work?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Just carry your licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Just carry your licence.

Thanks Guard - but Id still like to know the reasoning behind the make work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

They've gotta keep the guards busy because they have no crime to fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

....... wrote: »
    I was stopped recently and asked to produce my licence to nearest Garda Station within 10 days.

I dont get it. What does it achieve? It made work for me having to go up there, find parking, go in and produce it. It made work for the guy in there, recording the details. And it made work for the guy who requested I produce it, checking that it was produced.

But to what end? 3 people have now done some work - for what? For the original guy to just cross out that i did it? Is that all it is - a box ticking exercise?

Surely the Gardai know if I have a valid licence or not from the computer system? And if they dont - why dont they? Why is millions being wasted annually on people traipsing up and showing their licence and 2 Guards wasting time on it?

Is it just make work?

How do you expect them to know you have a license? You could be Someone who’s banned from driving and just give the guards your friends details when stopped and ask him to produce them at the station

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

You're welcome criminal. :)

It's to prove that you actually have a licence after failing to produce it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It would have saved all that if you just carried your licence .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

how.gareth wrote: »
    How do you expect them to know you have a license? You could be Someone who’s banned from driving and just give the guards your friends details when stopped and ask him to produce them at the station

That can still happen. Give friends name when pulled, get friend to produce license.

how.gareth wrote: »

How do I expect them to know?

Eh, because they are the Gardai and they are enforcing the road traffic laws, so presumably they have access to the computer system that tells them whether or not you have a valid licence. And if they dont - they really should.

I mean they can look up the details of who the car Im driving is registered to, so why cant they look up the details of my licence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They would need to be able to bring up on their system an image of your licence or at least the photo from your licence to ID you.
    I don't think they have that capability so you are asked for your licence and if you don't have it on you, you are given 10 days to produce it.
    Yes it creates hassle so best to carry when possible but I do appreciate that with multiple vehicles, people can easily leave home without the licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

You realise fine could still be winging their way to you?

• Advertisement

You realise fine could still be winging their way to you?

Fine what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

mickdw wrote: »
    They would need to be able to bring up on their system an image of your licence or at least the photo from your licence to ID you.
    I don't think they have that capability so you are asked for your licence and if you don't have it on you, you are given 10 days to produce it.
    Yes it creates hassle so best to carry when possible but I do appreciate that with multiple vehicles, people can easily leave home without the licence.

Why not just carry it in your wallet ?

So why dont they have that capability? I mean, when you add up the amount of wasted time over 1 year of people and guards over producing it - all paper based records etc...

Surely just give the Gardai access to NDLS data? Or to a subset of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

But to what end? 3 people have now done some work

It's like buying the paper on sunday, you don't really need it but it's keeping somebody in a Job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

How do I expect them to know?

Eh, because they are the Gardai and they are enforcing the road traffic laws, so presumably they have access to the computer system that tells them whether or not you have a valid licence. And if they dont - they really should.

I mean they can look up the details of who the car Im driving is registered to, so why cant they look up the details of my licence?

and how do they know you're the owner of the car or who you say you are . you could be anyone . just produce the licence and stop looking for something to be offended by

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Why not just carry it in your wallet ?

On the day in question I didnt have a wallet with me. Mine doesnt fit in a wallet anyway - its the old style one.

I used to keep it in the car but then a Guard told me not to in case the car was stolen.

and how do they know you're the owner of the car or who you say you are . you could be anyone . just produce the licence and stop looking for something to be offended by

That doesnt make any sense? That could apply to any situation with a Guard, not just being asked to produce a licence.

Im not remotely offended - although you seem to be - I just dont see the point of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So why dont they have that capability? I mean, when you add up the amount of wasted time over 1 year of people and guards over producing it - all paper based records etc...

Surely just give the Gardai access to NDLS data? Or to a subset of it?

I agree. I'm just saying that they must not have that info otherwise they would use it unless of course they were looking for extra money to train up to use it or some other such nonsense that you typically hear.
    It sounds very simple to do but i guess there are pretty severe data security issues around making that available to every garda on the move.

I agree. I'm just saying that they must not have that info otherwise they would use it unless of course they were looking for extra money to train up to use it or some other such nonsense that you typically hear.
    It sounds very simple to do but i guess there are pretty severe data security issues around making that available to every garda on the move.

No more issues around data security than who the car is registered to?

Ive been stopped and from my reg plate they tell me my home address etc.

It just seems like such a fecking waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Think of it like a small punishment for not carrying your licence. You should have had it with you, you didn't. Not that serious a crime, you don't deserve points. But you now have the small hassle of going to the station and producing it. Perfectly little annoying punishment for not carrying it imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭randd1

If you hadn't forgot the licence in the first place, there wouldn't be any make work. And I would assume it was an accident on your part that you did so.

So they have the make work because it gives decent people a chance not have a summons or fine thrown at them for absolutely feck all.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Think of it like a small punishment for not carrying your licence. You should have had it with you, you didn't. Not that serious a crime, you don't deserve points. But you now have the small hassle of going to the station and producing it. Perfectly little annoying punishment for not carrying it imho

So it IS just make work then?

randd1 wrote: »
    If you hadn't forgot the licence in the first place, there wouldn't be any make work. And I would assume it was an accident on your part that you did so.

So they have the make work because it gives decent people a chance not have a summons or fine thrown at them for absolutely feck all.

But it seems like the make work actually punishes the Guards more. I had to go in and produce it. But the guy in the station had to take it from me, write down the details, and then the guy who told me to produce it had to check that it was produced and tick the little box in his notebook beside my name etc....

So 2 Guards wasting time - double the hassle that I had.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

He could have done you there and then, he's being sound by giving you ten days.

He could have done you there and then, he's being sound by giving you ten days.

Done me for what? Being forgetful? Thats just more make work!

That brings up another interesting point though - why DO people have to physically carry a licence?

Again - if the Guards had access to the information then we wouldnt need to be carrying one.

Do you not think the whole thing is a bit bizarre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Done me for what? Being forgetful? Thats just more make work!

That brings up another interesting point though - why DO people have to physically carry a licence?

Again - if the Guards had access to the information then we wouldnt need to be carrying one.

Do you not think the whole thing is a bit bizarre?

because it is an offence not to carry a licence while driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Surely the Gardai know if I have a valid licence or not from the computer system?
    If you don't have photo ID with you they might not believe you really are who you claim to be.
    Maybe you're driving your mate's car and give them his name, while you yourself don't hold a licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Fine what?

The fine for not producing licence when driving.

It'll be points too shortly if Mr Ross gets his way.

because it is an offence not to carry a licence while driving.

But why is it? Do you not think we should question these things ?

It might have been more relevant in a past age when they didnt have access to computer systems, but it seems a bit outdated now.

I just see the whole thing as a total waste of time and money. From the make work of having to produce it to the nonsense of actually taking someone to court if they dont produce it - youre looking at huge costs to the state to take someone to court (how many people involved - wages etc..) and it just boils down to someone forgot to bring their licence that day - its hardly the crime of the century is it?

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    If you don't have photo ID with you they might not believe you really are who you claim to be.
    Maybe you're driving your mate's car and give them his name, while you yourself don't hold a licence.

Given that you dont have to produce it to the same person who asks you to you could just send your mate to produce his in that situation anyway.

Advertisement