Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Park Problems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Is the space clearly marked as your space, i.e. it was not someone parking in what they assumed to be a communal space? Does the car move at all or has it just sat there for these weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

tiger57 wrote: »
    Both cars were clamped by operator employed by the management agent.
    Ask the management agent why is said clamping company being paid if they are unable to do their job? Demand that the car is moved out of your parking space, to where; you don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Sorry I don't know why but the thought of a car being pushed around on biscuit tin lids has made my morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

the_syco wrote: »
    Ask the management agent why is said clamping company being paid if they are unable to do their job? Demand that the car is moved out of your parking space, to where; you don't care.
    It's not the clamping company's job to move the car; just to clamp it. If clamping doesn't lead the owner moving it, the clamping company has no plan B. Nor does their contract require them to have one.

The purpose of clamping is not to get vehicles removed; it's to discourage them from being left there in the first place.

Your situation is an infuriating one, I agree, but the fact is there is nobody whose responsibility it is to remove the car which has apparently been abandoned in your space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

OP as others have told you multiple times now - move the car off your space, by whatever means possible. Problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Ask the mgmt co to allocate you a new space? Then it becomes their problem. I wouldn't try to move the car, if it got damaged it could cost you a lot more than €120.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I can't see how it's NOT the management company's responsibility. They're failing to provide you with the parking space thus the onus is on them to sort the issue.

I'd be ringing twice daily until it's sorted. Being quiet and 'nice' won't work out well for you in this instance.

From the sounds of things, the clamping company probably removed the clamp themselves as they would see it as lost revenue if the car is just abandoned there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

tiger57 wrote: »
    gerard2210 wrote: »
    Sounds like it's abandoned or stolen and stored in your space.

Also possible somebody parked it there before heading abroad for a few weeks, to avoid airport charges!

Are you in fact close enough to the airport that this is likely scenario? Cause if you are I'd say that's spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Caliden wrote: »
    I can't see how it's NOT the management company's responsibility. They're failing to provide you with the parking space thus the onus is on them to sort the issue.

I'd be ringing twice daily until it's sorted. Being quiet and 'nice' won't work out well for you in this instance.

From the sounds of things, the clamping company probably removed the clamp themselves as they would see it as lost revenue if the car is just abandoned there.
    The manaqement company is under no more obligation to remove the car from your parking space than it is to remove the squatter from your flat. This is an issue between you and the person who is using your property.

You're entitled to move the car. You are not, however, entitled to abandon it in someone else's bay, or to leave it somewhere where it creates an obstruction, so you can't move it unless you've got somewhere to move it to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The manaqement company is under no more obligation to remove the car from your parking space than it is to remove the squatter from your flat. This is an issue between you and the person who is using your property.

You're entitled to move the car. You are not, however, entitled to abandon it in someone else's bay, or to leave it somewhere where it creates an obstruction, so you can't move it unless you've got somewhere to move it to.

So the OP can't get in touch with the owner, the Gards probably won't tell him for "data security" reasons, the management won't do anything other than sit at their desk fingering their hole, the OP is responsible for moving somewhere safe, the clamping company will do nothing except clamp the OP again, what the effing hell is he supposed to do?
    I would suggest offering the car to certain "ethnic minority" (edit, don't do that!) or put it on a trailer and park it somewhere safe, legal and secure. On the other side of the country. Somewhere like Connemara or the Cork and Kerry mountains.
    Actually, I'd pay a towing company privately to have it moved and stored at their compound. Nothing illegal about that.
    OP, ring a towing company and have it moved. I see nothing wrong with that

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

So the OP can't get in touch with the owner, the Gards probably won't tell him for "data security" reasons, the management won't do anything other than sit at their desk fingering their hole, the OP is responsible for moving somewhere safe, the clamping company will do nothing except clamp the OP again, what the effing hell is he supposed to do?
    I would suggest offering the car to certain "ethnic minority" (edit, don't do that!) or put it on a trailer and park it somewhere safe, legal and secure. On the other side of the country. Somewhere like Connemara or the Cork and Kerry mountains.
    Actually, I'd pay a towing company privately to have it moved and stored at their compound. Nothing illegal about that.
    OP, ring a towing company and have it moved. I see nothing wrong with that

Except the towing company would charge you for the tow and then later on storage.

pilly wrote: »
    Except the towing company would charge you for the tow and then later on storage.

Yes, that's tricky. You'd have to find one that will extract the money from the owner.
    In fact I think that this would work far better than clamping.
    You can't cut off "gone". Would out a stop to a lot of self entitled clowns

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

How old is the car ... any chance that it has been abandoned?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I wonder what would happen if the vehicle had an unexplained mechanical malfunction that would cause it to roll out of it's existing spot into another position where it would cause an obstruction to the entire apartment complex?
    The problem is, right now, it's your problem OP.
    That means nobody else will bother their hole helping you, because this would mean hassle and work and quite frankly, people can't be arsed if they can anyhow help this.
    The only way that something will happen, is if the offending vehicle becomes someone else's problem.
    Unless you force action, nothing will happen. Either by ringing the management company every half hour and making them miserable (I know, I've worked on the phone since the 90's), or by making sure something happens that squarely makes it their problem and forces them to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

OP; demand to view CCTV that shows who abandoned the car there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

C3PO wrote: »
    How old is the car ... any chance that it has been abandoned?

Op said already is a a 151

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Did OP post get removed? He said it was sorted and wouldn't allude to how...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Did OP post get removed? He said it was sorted and wouldn't allude to how...

There are no removed or deleted posts on the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

lanciadub wrote: »
    I have to commend your restraint and patience towards the management company.
    If I had my car clamped because my designated space was occupied even after you made them aware of the situation, I wouldn't be considering withholding 120 euro from them .
    I would be making their every working day a misery until I got every cent back and the car was removed from the spot, phone calls, texts, call to their offices etc.

From my reading the OP only informed the clampers and management company after they decided to park illegally also and got clamped.

OP your management company can remove the car but it takes a long time. They need to send a circular to all the members of the Management Company to say that there is an abandoned vehicle and if not moved in a few weeks will be disposed off. I've reported a few in my complex and that's what they have done, unfortunately it's a long slow process as the car owner could easily sue if they don't dot every I and cross every t before disposing of the car.

Yes, that's tricky. You'd have to find one that will extract the money from the owner.
    In fact I think that this would work far better than clamping.
    You can't cut off "gone". Would out a stop to a lot of self entitled clowns

I'd assume that aside from the initial toe fee the storage fee would be collected only when the car is being removed. Therefore the person collecting the car will have to pay that fee. I wouldn't be happy paying the toe fee either but maybe the op could chaege for the information of where the car is to the owner for the appropriate fee when they return and can't find their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Have to say some ingenious answers given on here. FairPlay lads. Made me smile. Ha biscuit tins.....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,535 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

the_syco wrote: »
    OP; demand to view CCTV that shows who abandoned the car there.

Exactly how would that help? Oh it’s some guy wearing a green top and black pants with grey hair............ oh ya, it must be John from walkinstown.

mad m wrote: »
    Have to say some ingenious answers given on here. FairPlay lads. Made me smile. Ha biscuit tins.....:pac:

Dare you to put 2 metal lids under your rear wheels and pull the handbrake.

Then start flooring it while getting as close to donuts as on can in a front wheel drive car.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

mad m wrote: »

Dare you to put 2 metal lids under your rear wheels and pull the handbrake.

Then start flooring it while getting as close to donuts as on can in a front wheel drive car.

Yeah but you’re not going to be able to push a car around just because it’s parked on biscuit tins....

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    Yeah but you’re not going to be able to push a car around just because it’s parked on biscuit tins....

Yes you can. Not going to be easiest job ever but can be done on flat surface.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I can confirm a car can be moved quite a distance on biscuit tin lids and some lubricant, added benefit of something to put in your tea afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tiger57

Thanks again to everyone who took the trouble to reply to my original post on this topic and for all the advice. To update everyone:
    (1) The car clamp was removed some days ago, the car park operator say the de-clamp fee was not paid and they suspect it may have been removed illegally. (2) The car has now gone from my space. (3) The Management Agent continue to stand back from the issue, claiming that day to day management of parking is a matter for the car park operator, and that they (the agent) have no authority to remove vehicles. (4) I appealed against the de-clamp fee I was forced to pay (€120) but NCPS rejected that appeal, on the basis that there are signs warning drivers not to park illegally, etc. (5) NCPS say I have the right to appeal their decision to the National Transport Authority within 30 days. (6) I have told the management agent that I am considering placing the entire matter in the hands of my solicitor and that I reserve the right to reduce my next management fee by the €120. (7) I am considering putting a sign on the wall at my space to highlight that it is for the sole use of car reg XX D xxxxx, and I am also thinking of fitting one of those lockable posts to prevent this happening again. (8) Efforts to establish the identity of the offending owner/driver proved fruitless (as I expected) - I had hoped an address would allow me to drop them a note. However, the car tax people did confirm to me -
    without divulging the owners name and address, that the address was not that of the building I live in. (I had thought of a flyer in the mail boxes/on the lift, asking the offender to move the car).
    So that's it. Thanks again for all the advice.

• Advertisement

Fight the fee.

Good it's gone but I know I wouldn't have left the car as it was parked....

Next time super glue a notice onto windows if it were to happen again.

Advertisement