Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Park Problems

Options
  • 05-03-2018 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Advice would be appreciated. I own an apartment with a dedicated basement car parking space. For past two weeks somebody has been parking in my space, and I was forced to use a vacant adjoining space. Both cars were clamped by operator employed by the management agent. I had to pay €120 to secure release of my car. Offending car is still in situ (its clamp has been removed but it hasn't moved). Management Company say they have no authority to remove a car (!). Gardai say it's a civil not criminal matter (private property) and understandably cannot provide car owner's name and address so that I could write and ask them to remove it. Has anybody ever had a similar problem? Any remedies? I have asked Management Agent to ask Car Park Operator to remove it but no action.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

tiger57 wrote: »
    Advice would be appreciated. I own an apartment with a dedicated basement car parking space. For past two weeks somebody has been parking in my space, and I was forced to use a vacant adjoining space. Both cars were clamped by operator employed by the management agent. I had to pay €120 to secure release of my car. Offending car is still in situ (its clamp has been removed but it hasn't moved). Management Company say they have no authority to remove a car (!). Gardai say it's a civil not criminal matter (private property) and understandably cannot provide car owner's name and address so that I could write and ask them to remove it. Has anybody ever had a similar problem? Any remedies? I have asked Management Agent to ask Car Park Operator to remove it but no action.
    Get two jacks and wheel it out of your way.

Make sure somewhere where they will clamp again.

So they clamp you and you have a right to be there hope you fight for that back.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭burkey2k0

Happened to me and the operator of the clamping company agreed to let me park in visitors spaces free of charge while the car was parked there. However in my case the offending car didn't stay longer than a few hours after getting clamped.

I know what I would be doing to move it but will leave that for after hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Bill the management company €120 to recover the amount you lost due to your space being taken.

Why was it’s clamp removed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Leave a note! I had that in my old place and I left a note stating that I'd taken pictures of the reg plate and that if they were still parked there in the morning, I would report it to the clampers for the estate. I parked in another space (which was always free) with a note on my windscreen stating what my normal space number was and that I had been unable to park there due to an unauthorised vehicle.

No problem and the car that had been in my space was gone the next day but if they hadn't been I would have had no problems getting them clamped and towed from there. Contact the Car Park Operator yourself. If they knew to clamp it as well then they knew it wasn't the right car for the space or something so they should know who owns what space (or at least what apartment number) and discuss it direct with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Leave a note on their window explaining that they are parked in your spot

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tiger57

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I was trying to be as brief as possible. It's quite a saga, but to clarify I did most of the things mentioned. I left a note on the offending car, I left one on mine telling the car park operator why I was there (admittedly, after I was clamped!). I have asked the Management Agent to have the car removed - they say they have no authority. I have asked them to ask the operator to refund me. I've been said I will consider reducing ny next management fee by €120 if necessary. Bottom line...the car is still there 2 weeks later and I can't access my space. I will try contacting the operator as the Management Company appear to be washing their hands of it. Thanks again for all the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭burkey2k0

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I was trying to be as brief as possible. It's quite a saga, but to clarify I did most of the things mentioned. I left a note on the offending car, I left one on mine telling the car park operator why I was there (admittedly, after I was clamped!). I have asked the Management Agent to have the car removed - they say they have no authority. I have asked them to ask the operator to refund me. I've been said I will consider reducing ny next management fee by €120 if necessary. Bottom line...the car is still there 2 weeks later and I can't access my space. I will try contacting the operator as the Management Company appear to be washing their hands of it. Thanks again for all the advice.

There was a reply above asking why the offending car's clamp had been removed. Why is that? They must have paid the charge on the first clamp. Have them clamped again??

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ozanam

Check to see if the car is taxed and if it is more then a month out report to the Garda that it has trespassing and you think it is abandoned due to the car not being tax and request they or the council get it towed.

You could pour some petrol on the ground under the car and report it to the management and the Garda as in a dangerous condition and it needs to be removed from the building and that an emergency response is required.

• Advertisement

burkey2k0 wrote: »
    There was a reply above asking why the offending car's clamp had been removed. Why is that? They must have paid the charge on the first clamp. Have them clamped again??

Sorry I overlooked replying to that particular question. The car still has the warning notice so I suspect no declamp fee sad paid. My only thought is tgat, following my complaint to the management company, The operator may have removed the clamp....or was directed to....do as to allow the car to leave my space. But I honestly don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

ozanam wrote: »
    Check to see if the car is taxed and if it is more then a month out report to the Garda that it has trespassing and you think it is abandoned due to the car not being tax and request they or the council get it towed.

You could pour some petrol on the ground under the car and report it to the management and the Garda as in a dangerous condition and it needs to be removed from the building and that an emergency response is required.

absolute nothing whatsoever to do witht he gardai - nothing, zilch Nada. Even if not taxed, nothing to do with gardai as its not on a public road

Just request for it to be clamped again.

and again
    and again

Sorry I overlooked replying to that particular question. The car still has the warning notice so I suspect no declamp fee sad paid. My only thought is tgat, following my complaint to the management company, The operator may have removed the clamp....or was directed to....do as to allow the car to leave my space. But I honestly don't know.

(apologies for all my typos!)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

Ask the clampers to clamp it! If they work on commission they should be happy to do this. Why was the clamp removed in the first place?

As I said jack car up and place out of parking spot leave up to management then.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭lanciadub

As I said jack car up and place out of parking spot leave up to management then.

+1 for this, simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Sounds like it's abandoned or stolen and stored in your space.

gerard2210 wrote: »
    Sounds like it's abandoned or stolen and stored in your space.

Thought that might be the case. It's a 151 reg and I thought when the Gardai took the number and said they'd "make enquiries" a stolen car would show up. Also possible somebody parked it there before heading abroad for a few weeks, to avoid airport charges!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Thought that might be the case. It's a 151 reg and I thought when the Gardai took the number and said they'd "make enquiries" a stolen car would show up. Also possible somebody parked it there before heading abroad for a few weeks, to avoid airport charges!
    Not advice. Simply a hypothetical musing:

Tbh, if that were the case, I’d let the air out of all four tyres. The car wouldn’t be moved until they got back either way. Might as well hand them some petty annoyance. Hypothetically, of course. If I were sure that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Get 4 biscuit tin lids, use one jack and raise each wheel placing it on a lid and then simply push the car out in to a visitors space or somewhere it will get clamped or alternatively outside the carpark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

OP, could you provide more info? We have the same issue in our development as many others do and more context is needed. Have your common areas been transferred? This is important.

Our management company gave a contract of access to a Clamping Service Operator about a year ago, but since the new legislation came in, I believe that the contract was terminated by the CSO as it is now a legal grey area clamping in non-statutory parking zones. This also means, technically, if you can remove the clamp without damaging the clamp, then you could remove it without paying a release fee, but the key is to remove without damage.

Lastly, only the Lessee can request the offending car to be clamped, this does not apply to someone renting, they would have to contact their landlord.

I hope the link below works, it pertains to both non-statutory & statutory clamping zones, A car space in a private car park is classed as non-statutory.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Vehicle_Clamping__Signage_Regulations_2017.pdf

It's pretty clear that some posters think its ok to damage other people's property, however, I would caution you against doing so as that would be criminal damage, irrespective if its parked in the assigned space or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭lanciadub

I have to commend your restraint and patience towards the management company.
    If I had my car clamped because my designated space was occupied even after you made them aware of the situation, I wouldn't be considering withholding 120 euro from them .
    I would be making their every working day a misery until I got every cent back and the car was removed from the spot, phone calls, texts, call to their offices etc.

em_cat wrote: »
    OP, could you provide more info? We have the same issue in our development as many others do and more context is needed. Have your common areas been transferred? This is important.

Our management company gave a contract of access to a Clamping Service Operator about a year ago, but since the new legislation came in, I believe that the contract was terminated by the CSO as it is now a legal grey area clamping in non-statutory parking zones. This also means, technically, if you can remove the clamp without damaging the clamp, then you could remove it without paying a release fee, but the key is to remove without damage.

Lastly, only the Lessee can request the offending car to be clamped, this does not apply to someone renting, they would have to contact their landlord.

I hope the link below works, it pertains to both non-statutory & statutory clamping zones, A car space in a private car park is classed as non-statutory.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Vehicle_Clamping__Signage_Regulations_2017.pdf

It's pretty clear that some posters think its ok to damage other people's property, however, I would caution you against doing so as that would be criminal damage, irrespective if its parked in the assigned space or not.

Many thanks for that. As far as I know, The common areas have been transferred. I am the lessee (owner/occupier). I was not aware of the regulations that you have shared a link to - thanks, I will study them.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

lanciadub wrote: »
    +1 for this, simples.

OP, you have been given the answer above. I would have recommended also a nice initial note to clear any confusion but you are way beyond that at this stage.

As recommended above move the car into an available space. If it was me I would be letting a little air out of 2 or more tyres but that's just me.

Best of luck but you need to realise that you have been given options and it's unlikely that you will get any more new suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Many thanks for that. As far as I know, The common areas have been transferred. I am the lessee (owner/occupier). I was not aware of the regulations that you have shared a link to - thanks, I will study them.

I know it’s not cut & dry as people want & also as people expect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Join the conversation

• Wrap sandpaper around the wiper blades.
    • Glue some thumbtacks on the inside of the driver's side door handle.
    • Break off one / both of the wing mirrors.
    • Scratch / break the glass.
    • Shove stuff up the exhaust.
    • Drain brake fluid.

Failing any of that, you could use a trolley jack and bring it to a communal area. I'm sure a member of our finest nomadic ethnic group will take the car no problem.

Mod note: user banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I don't think I'd be able to contain my rage if something like this happened to me. It's making me angry thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,077 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Are you sure there's no body in the boot? :eek:

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Thestones wrote: »
    Ask the clampers to clamp it! If they work on commission they should be happy to do this. Why was the clamp removed in the first place?

Clampers remove clamps after a few days if there is no contact, a clamp thats not earning money is no use to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

GarIT wrote: »
    I don't think I'd be able to contain my rage if something like this happened to me. It's making me angry thinking about it.

I was going mad when someone took my space overnight one time!!! I can't stand lazy, ignorant people!

Advertisement