Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What really obvious thing have you only just realised?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭therealgirl

...also I just watched a movie where somebody mentioned landing strips, as in shaved lady bits...and I just realised after years of hearing the different names for the shaving shapes of ones nether regions...why it is called a landing strip *duh*

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Zirconia wrote: »
    I was amazed a few years to hear the Mediterrean Sea literaly means 'the sea at the center of the world' which should have been obvious I guess, as it was the center of the known world in ancient times (in western history, that is).

Nice!

How about that the original incoming SMS tone is actually the morse code for the letters SMS!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

alproctor wrote: »
    The punchline to "Why did the chicken cross the road" has a second meaning....

"The other side" - I did laugh at myself when i realised this a year or so ago - I'm 35.

omg

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

alproctor wrote: »
    :) Glad I'm not the only one....

The other side ...
    • of the road...
    • "The afterlife"

EDIT - reading other's posts, maybe I just developed a fantastic new joke!! :pac: :pac:

How does this sound?
    Why did the agnostic cross the road?
    Because he wasn't sure what was on the other side!
    *gets coat*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

omg

Strange coincidence to but one of Slade's earliest recordings is Martha My Dear from the Beatles White Album ...I only realized this last night to

BTW...I'm not a big fan of Slade .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

GreeBo wrote: »

Nice!

How about that the original incoming SMS tone is actually the morse code for the letters SMS!

How many people read this and instantly remembered the tone in their mind?

Out of all I've read in this thread so far, that one surprised me by how much it surprises me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I recently had this conversation with a work colleague:

Him: Do you want some coffee?
    Me: Where are you getting it?
    Him: Maccy d's
    Me: I don't know that place. Is it a new cafe nearby?
    Him :confused: It's McDonalds
    Me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Clondalphian

eoing1 wrote: »
    Never realised Freddy Mercury was gay until after he died. I'd been to see them in Slane in all. Was telling this to a mate a few months ago and he said did the name Queen not give it away? What? Never copped that one either

My friend only realised Freddie Mercury was dead last year when the radio mentioned it was the 20th anniversary of his death.She only caught half of what the radio host said and turned to me later on that day "Did you hear Freddie Mercury died?"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

A good few years back, but I was shocked to learn that Hugh Grant and Richard E Grant are not brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

what about if the bus is reversing? do they still go round and round, given that they are going in the other direction, also a loud beep beep beep can be heard only in case of reverse... so can we presume that: the wheels on the bus go round and round, except in case of reversing, when they also go round and round BUT with a beeping sound.

Id make a good govt sub-committteeeee member :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Ninjy

Scandless is actually "scandalous".

What was I thinking? What the hell is a scand anyway?

"Twas scandless I tell ya, there wasn't a scand between them."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Not just realised, but a few years ago i remember being shocked to find out Dire Straits were Scottish (British)...

I would've bet a million they were American.

Same time i found out a real Roman Numeral Clock/Watch doesn't have "IV" as the number 4, it has IIII.. - Although that's not so much really obvious, i found it out at the same time..

EDIT: Maybe it is obvious to others. Wasn't to me, which guess is the point of this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

That Enda Kenny is the biggest lick arse I've ever seen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

nice_very wrote: »

Id make a good govt sub-committteeeee member :D

It's a comm it eeeee.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Hint: you don't ever have to type www. :P

Depends on DNS and server configuration. ucd.ie is one that really pisses me off. Before the IEDR was formed, ucd ran the entire DNS system for the .ie TLD. You think they'd know better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

That Boards is a timesink on my life. Oh well...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

jumbone wrote: »
    Depends on DNS and server configuration. ucd.ie is one that really pisses me off. Before the IEDR was formed, ucd ran the entire DNS system for the .ie TLD. You think they'd know better

What? :confused:

Its ok, I dont need to know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Chucken wrote: »
    What? :confused:

Its ok, I dont need to know :D

bah, posted so 2 hours ago!
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

GreeBo wrote: »

bah, posted so 2 hours ago!
    :mad:

What?

jumbone wrote: »
    What?

Its ok Ted, we're all mad!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Zirconia wrote: »
    I was amazed a few years to hear the Mediterrean Sea literaly means 'the sea at the center of the world' which should have been obvious I guess, as it was the center of the known world in ancient times (in western history, that is).

Ohhhhhhhhh

Realising that Ray-Bans are called that because they block the rays of the sun was quite the revelation a few years ago...

Namlub wrote: »
    Ohhhhhhhhh

Realising that Ray-Bans are called that because they block the rays of the sun was quite the revelation a few years ago...

Oh :o
    Never knew that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Ohhhhhhhhh

That's an urban myth Ray Ban is actually Thai for stupid looking.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I blew my friend's mind a while ago when I told her that the sauté in sauté beans means "jumped". She was like "THOSE BEANS JUMP OH MY GOD", so hopefully some of you may now also be enlightened. :P

Where To wrote: »
    That's an urban myth Ray Ban is actually Thai for stupid looking.

Sounds more like "Mor mong"

Never heard it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Allyall wrote: »
    Sounds more like "Mor mong"

Never heard it before.

Fairly sure he was joking, I admire your dedication though

Fairly sure he was joking, I admire your dedication though

Ha ha.. :D I got curious. It's 03:10am, what else would i be doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

been peeling bananas the wrong way all my life, appently this id the way real way to do it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭the deftone

I didn't just realise this but when I was in primary school, id often look at the big map on the wall and notice how far apart Alaska and Russia were. Then when i was about 12 I realised the world isn't shaped like a flat map and that they are actually right next to each other. Never had a realisation like it since, couldn't believe how dumb I was. Kept that one to myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 lidllady

Realised as a teen that the king of hearts is stabbing himself in the head

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmdx7F0ezSaLhvsEKNLQQFC8Cb-gCduef1Yr3rH7JO0pkgGKPo_w

That Stephen Fry is gay, it just seemed like it was too easy/obvious to label him gay so i presumed he was straight and just very articulate :o

Advertisement