Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Law Firm Milkrounds 20/21

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

holliek wrote: »
    I haven't heard back from Dillon Eustace or Byrne Wallace..

I'm the same too, strange one!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Fe1taker2020

Nothing from Dillon Eustace or ByrneWallace either. I've only heard back from Pinsent Masons and Eversheds Sutherland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 musicmanual123

Jeremiah25 wrote: »
    I'm the same too, strange one!

Same here! Very odd, and I know for a fact DE are doing second round interviews these week

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭law987

Same here! Very odd, and I know for a fact DE are doing second round interviews these week

Really? my first round with DE is this week

Maybe we're just straight through to the final stage ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

Hahaha or maybe the are just ghosting us

Just heard DE is full for 2021 and 2022 so maybe that's a factor? Only have spaces 2023 onwards..

law987 wrote: »
    Just heard DE is full for 2021 and 2022 so maybe that's a factor? Only have spaces 2023 onwards..

Did they not say that the applications were for the September 2021 intake on the website?

Maybe I misread it?

Ya the form asked when you want to start, but in my interview there they said we are full until 2023

• Advertisement

Ya the form asked when you want to start, but in my interview there they said we are full until 2023

Ah okay, thanks for the info. Hope the interview went well!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Fe1forthefun

How did it go? Was it a long interview? Hope it went well for you!

How did it go? Was it a long interview? Hope it went well for you!

No very short less than 20 mins! Informal chat about the application from really and they said at start there won't be any technical questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

A lot of firms seem to be full for 2021/2022 and are recruiting from 2023 onwards.

Anyone hear anything from other law firms?

IgoPAP wrote: »
    A lot of firms seem to be full for 2021/2022 and are recruiting from 2023 onwards.

There were a few advertising for the 2021 intake which I applied for. However, DE was only of those and they are seemingly full for 2021 now. Others could be the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Beatriz2020

Haven’t heard from BW/DE either... Should I be assuming they’re just slow to issue PFOs?

Haven’t heard from BW/DE either... Should I be assuming they’re just slow to issue PFOs?

I saw from a thread last year that some firms send out PFOs as late as December - after the offers. They might be waiting to ensure they get enough candidates to fill their positions first in case they need to revisit applications.

Anyone hear from Fieldfisher?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 musicmanual123

Any word from MHC, Arthur Cox or McCanns ? time is going by all the same ... ://

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Beatriz2020

Anyone hear from Fieldfisher?

I rang Fieldfisher this evening. They’re still in the process of reviewing applications. She said they received hundreds this year!

• Advertisement

Don't they always receive hundreds?

Eversheds said their applications were up 70% this year, maybe because A&L and William Fry aren't hiring

Did anyone apply to Dechert?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Did anyone apply to Dechert?

I did. Think I read on an email or somewhere in the grad rec section that they intend to be back to people within 10 days

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caius97

Any word from MHC, Arthur Cox or McCanns ? time is going by all the same ... ://

I contacted Arthur Cox who said that they will be issuing responses to all candidates by the end of the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lawwwsad18649

Anyone heard back from byrne wallace on round 2 interviews?

Anyone heard back from byrne wallace on round 2 interviews?

I only have my round 1 today! What was it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lawwwsad18649

I only have my round 1 today! What was it like?

Not sure how I did! But they were friendly!

I am wondering how they are going to narrow people down if they have so many interviews back to back. I feel like parts of my application aren't super strong and its hard to make up for that over a video interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 toby_mc

Mccann PFO's are out! My first ever PFO for me. Does anyone know if they give feedback on applications?

• Advertisement

toby_mc wrote: »
    Mccann PFO's are out! My first ever PFO for me. Does anyone know if they give feedback on applications?

They give feedback after an interview rejection, but not for application rejection I think because they get so many.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Dliodoir2020

Just got a PFO from McCanns, anyone hear from Arthur Cox yet?

Arthur cox group interviews just out

Arthur cox group interviews just out

Anyone get a PFO from them yet?

Nope, heard nothing from them at all.

Has anyone heard from RDJ? It's been a while since applications closed...

Also anyone know when Matheson will open applications?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 arubamuuu

I've also heard nothing from them yet.

Have heard nothing from Arthur cox as of yet.

• Advertisement

caius97 wrote: »
    Also anyone know when Matheson will open applications?

I emailed Matheson and they said applications are opening on the 19th November!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

Deloitte PFO out this evening - 2 PFO's today as McCann FitzGerald's arrived today also :( Oh well here's to the next set of milk rounds...

lawgrad15 wrote: »
    Deloitte PFO out this evening - 2 PFO's today as McCann FitzGerald's arrived today also :( Oh well here's to the next set of milk rounds...

This is my first time doing any kind of milkrounds and the FE1s in general. Any advice on how many you should have under your belt? I got one PFO and have heard nothing from anyone else but as interviews are being conducted I'm going to take it they are PFOs as well. Any advice would be welcome.

Fat PFOs awaiting those that haven't received an interview offer from Arthur Cox today.

FE1new wrote: »
    This is my first time doing any kind of milkrounds and the FE1s in general. Any advice on how many you should have under your belt? I got one PFO and have heard nothing from anyone else but as interviews are being conducted I'm going to take it they are PFOs as well. Any advice would be welcome.

Firms will say that it doesn't really matter (and that may be the case) but I get a general feeling that the more you have passed the better.

I don't think they look too closely at FE1s, they give training contracts to people as young as second year undergrads, so your college results and even leaving cert is important, aside from that just any kind of experience, legal or otherwise is good, everything you've done is worth mentioning and gives you stuff to talk about at interview.

I'm the same as you, just out of college and first time applying for milkrounds. I've gotten a few interviews compared to for summer internships the same firms rejected me but my final year grade is a lot better than my other college results and I did two internships over the summer so I'm guessing those factors have helped me this time

• Advertisement

Firms will say that it doesn't really matter (and that may be the case) but I get a general feeling that the more you have passed the better.

Yes, I suppose it shows you're dedicated, it can only be a good thing but not a deciding factor

Yes, I suppose it shows you're dedicated, it can only be a good thing but not a deciding factor

Thanks tbh looking at my applications I think they are crap and I should have taken more time. I'll know for next time round!

Thanks tbh looking at my applications I think they are crap and I should have taken more time. I'll know for next time round!

They're an absolute pain to fill out, but if you take your time with the first one you can almost just copy and paste for the rest! Summer internships will be opening soon, I know A&L's is open already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

FE1s are infinitely less important than experience. I wrote a long post about my experience with the process in last year’s thread that I’ll try to dig up. Will edit this post with its addition.

*edit*

It seems to really be your preference whether you do a masters or not. I haven’t heard of any firms preferring you to have one.

I actually finally secured a contract this time around after four years of applying and so will share my thoughts on the process in case it is of use to anyone. I had interviews with 6 firms (including 3 big 5) which was up from 2 interviews in general last year and never being called beforehand.

I think most important is to respect how competitive the process is. Firms will give training contracts to people after summer internships following two years of their degree programme so it is in my opinion it is just about the overall strength of your application.

There are loads of initial criteria by which everyone is assessed ie leaving cert, college grades, and personal hobbies/achievements. If you are lacking in some or all of these areas it is best to build yourself up in others. I think what swung it for me was my work experience.

I had just under 500 LC points, a 2.1 from TCD, and some good work experience pre-graduation but my first and second year grades weren’t great. Anyone with a top end leaving and consistent college grades would have beaten me until I strengthened elsewhere.

I held two full time roles after graduating which gave me plenty to talk about on applications. It allowed me to identify practice areas which interested me and to learn about different firms’ activities in those areas. This is an easy way to show you have researched the firm and to explain why you’re a good fit for them.

If I had any advice it would be not to take any rejection personally and to try and use your self-belief to motivate yourself to persist. If you keep gaining experience and plug away with the FE1s eventually your applications will show dedication and resilience and the interviews will come.

I don’t know if this is even helpful but I remember feeling terribly disheartened and wanting to throw the towel in when I had no success last year. I didn’t even want to apply this year. You owe it to yourself and all you’ve done to date to keep at it so don’t give up!!

The thing to remember about the Fe1s is that - despite their perceived difficulty - most people are pretty able of completing them in a few sittings.

It doesn't give you an advantage to have them completed over not having them completed, unless the firm is specifically planning to recruit soon.

In fact, as noted, a lot of the big firms hand out TC's to their summer interns, who are just college students in their 3rd or 4th yeaf.

• Advertisement
Advertisement