Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini Evil 2020 July 18th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Even the Mini has more climbing!

I'm on the free version and have an "Export GPX" option just below the route title. Once you save this, you can normally copy & paste it into your Garmin. In post #67 I have included a Garmin Connect version of the route and that should give you a "Send to Device" option that may be simpler.

Been checking out a few food options in Laragh (2nd time) as I don't fancy attempting Shay Elliott, Brown Mountain etc. on a full stomach. The Wicklow Heather will have their lunch menue available in a covered outdoor area without reservations, Lynhams have a BBQ option in front of Anne's Cafe which is closed. They may also have a lunch menu in the hotel lobby. In Glenmalure the Coffee Box in front of the Lodge have coffee, croissants, rocky road (!) and caramel squares but for anything more substantial indoors you need to book. The Stonecutter in Aughrim is closed.

Nice one thanks, I was only looking at the strava app.

Strava is good for an overview, but it's not clear to me when there's a loop - in which direction the loop is tackled. That' doesn't matter so much with the lower loop and I presume anyway it's elliot, maun, then around and back through glenmalure and back over elliot, but I'm not sure what's happening there around the dublin mountains.

I do a Saturday spin over the gaps ever saturday with a quartet of lads and I'll see if I can migrate them over to doing some or all of the evil this saturday. If ye had a set start time then I could hazard a guess as to when ye'd be hitting Cruagh Rd there, just up from the Merry Ploughboy and that would be the easiest place to join ye up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fat bloke wrote: »
    ... If ye had a set start time then I could hazard a guess as to when ye'd be hitting Cruagh Rd there, just up from the Merry Ploughboy and that would be the easiest place to join ye up.
    If we start at 8am, we should be at the junction above 'The Merry Ploughboy' around 8.30am.

...Been checking out a few food options in Laragh (2nd time) as I don't fancy attempting Shay Elliott, Brown Mountain etc. on a full stomach...
    You might have to wait for me then as I certainly have no intention of doing Brown Mountain and Shay Elliott (twice) without eating.

(...and I never eat on an empty stomach).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I think 8.30 will be fine, I think it’s the rockbrock school just at that junction up from merry ploughboy.

As WA said, meeting from 7-30 am onwards and starting at 8.am from the luas bridge area in Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭themighty

I'm going to try join you guys for this. My first ever Evil, even if it is just the mini ðŸ˜. I'll park in Lamb Doyle's and spin over.

• Advertisement

burger1979 wrote: »
    Well folks, today I took my first ever attempt at the Boards Evil route. Mini it might be but sweet jebus. For anyone who has completed the previous routes, full distance, I salute ye, mad people.

So first off a massive thanks and "$@!!"" to the course creator Irishrover99. Some of the climbs I had done before and most i hadnt, especially at the start of the route before we reached Laragh for the first time.

Even though this was my first attempt at the event, I was unable to do it all, even though it was the 'mini'.......I hand my head and bike in shame and all abuse of not completing it is welcome. Coming out of Laragh towards Glenmacnass waterfall I cramped in both thighs on the way up. I have never bitten my handlebar tape harder whilst I unclipped and waited for the pain to pass.

If i get another TR form filled out and passed I may try again this year. Fantastic day out on the bike. Wicklow was full of us today, although the cars around Wicklow gap was a joke and Mr. Garda was there handing out tickets like confetti.

I will post some pics later when i get them. My cycling companion sends them onto me, he cycled around with me on 4hours sleep......madman.......

Strava links:

https://www.strava.com/activities/3753342688

https://www.strava.com/activities/3753343115

I think I might have met your cycling buddy on Monday (Gary?) - was getting the bike sorted for this. He was telling me he'd given it a shot over the weekend.

Looks like most of the rain will fall overnight Friday. We might have a damp start but looking ok after that.

themighty wrote: »
    I'm going to try join you guys for this. My first ever Evil, even if it is just the mini ðŸ˜. I'll park in Lamb Doyle's and spin over.

Great, see you between half 7 and 8 am under the Luas bridge in Dundrum

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Great, see you between half 7 and 8 am under the Luas bridge in Dundrum

Can we say that we set off at 8 sharp? Its going to take me long enough and I'll likely only see people from 7:30-8 but I think that's enough

Don't think Saturday is going to suit so I went elevation hunting today myself. - I don't like figure-of-8-looping hills so near the city on a long spin cos the temptation always is to go naff off home, so I hit out for featherbeds, glencree, powerscourt rd for the full wall and up to Djouce, lugalla, sally gap, laragh, elliot, maun - u-turned then to go back over maun, elliot, back to Laragh, up Wicklow gap to Turlough hill, back to Laragh, and then home Glenmacnass, sally gap, featherbeds and descend to the front door. - 157k ish and 3300m climbing.

It really struck me how hard it is to amass meterage in elevation on our (relative) molehills. Shay Elliot is a hard climb (from Glenmalure) but it's barely 250m gain in ascent. Sliabh Maun isn't much better. The Elliot/Maun x2 leg barely netted 1100m I'd say - The best bang for buck by far was Glendalough to Turlough hill- about 500m.

Anyway, all's I know is I was frickin' toast coming in the door. -Nice day for it though. Warm but not hot. A fair old headwind going up Wicklow gap and coming back over the Featherbeds but other than that you actually wanted the wind to pick up on the Elliot/Maun climbing legs because the flies could be a right pestilence when it was calm.

Enjoy the day anyway. Forecast is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭burger1979

themighty wrote: »
    I think I might have met your cycling buddy on Monday (Gary?) - was getting the bike sorted for this. He was telling me he'd given it a shot over the weekend.

yeah thats him. He is a super cyclist, so strong, smooth, its quite nice sitting on his wheel when I can and getting a tow. Did he tell you about his latest endurance event that he is going to try?

burger1979 wrote: »
    yeah thats him. He is a super cyclist, so strong, smooth, its quite nice sitting on his wheel when I can and getting a tow. Did he tell you about his latest endurance event that he is going to try?

Seems a really good guy, was telling me he does a bit of racing, he looks in decent nick alright. What's he getting up to?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

fat bloke wrote: »
    It really struck me how hard it is to amass meterage in elevation on our (relative) molehills.
    i work with people all over europe and generally when i say 'i can cycle 5km from the house to reach sea level and then go from there to 750m in 25km', they're usually jealous.
    we're not that badly off in dublin.

i work with people all over europe and generally when i say 'i can cycle 5km from the house to reach sea level and then go from there to 750m in 25km', they're usually jealous.
    we're not that badly off in dublin.

Ah yeah. Having just climbed them all, you must forgive my not having felt quite so chipper...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Latest update from my cycling budy in Laragh is that Lynhams will be doing sambos etc in their coffee shop, barbecue outside and more substantial fare in their restaurant. He also recommended the deli at the XL shop that has outdoor seating. It should be dry there from about 10 according to Met Eireann and YR.

Fitted a new chain and cassette in honor of the event on Wednesday only to discover yesterday on a club spin that I should have changed the big chainring as well. A very helpful clubmate had a spare so fully sorted now. Mind you, it probably won't get too much use tomorrow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭ratracer

Best of luck folks, won’t make it tomorrow as I’m working, it looks like torture!

I’ll be keeping the route though, as myself and a few mates will likely travel east later in the summer in lieu of our trip to the Alps, so will do it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Turns out I'm not away but 99% I won't make it tomorrow for beer related reasons. If I'm out for a spin I'll give you yiz a wave.

Handy tip - don't try and keep up with Alexzont & Co. on the hills. Unless you have a secret motor. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Alexzont

daragh_ wrote: »
    Turns out I'm not away but 99% I won't make it tomorrow for beer related reasons. If I'm out for a spin I'll give you yiz a wave.

Handy tip - don't try and keep up with Alexzont & Co. on the hills. Unless you have a secret motor. :D

Cheers Daragh. Learned from my first evil about pacing so will be taking it easy! The other lads, not too sure...

Seaa tmw anyway Ken bright and early. Have Paul roped in from last year and a 1 or 2 lads from Tiernan's so should be good craic.

Alexzont wrote: »
    ...Learned from my first evil about pacing so will be taking it easy! The other lads, not too sure....
    I'll certainly be pacing myself and letting all the mountain goats off at the start. I recall on one Evil there was a ridiculously fast pace for the first 40k or so and I made the mistake of keeping up. Then at the half way point, those who set the pace fecked off home.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭byrybak

Cu tomorrow lads, sure it’s 80km and 1000m less than last year!!!! We will be back home at lunch time ��

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Looks miserable out and wet till about 1

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Alexzont

Yeah. Zero mood to cycle in that. We’re going to start later around 9 today.

This will the first wet Evil in years. Every year I have done it, it’s been nice and sunny or even too hot. Saying that it looks like a nice drizzle now.

The hardest thing for me is eating breakfast this early. It’s so unnatural for me and I have to force something into me.

Alexzont wrote: »
    Yeah. Zero mood to cycle in that. We’re going to start later around 9 today.

Fair weather eviler’s 😀

Fair weather eviler’s 😀

Don’t blame him

I won't make it for 8. Decided to put a bigger cog on last night and now my derailleur is upset with me🀦*♂️. If I can get it sorted in the next hour I'll head down and play catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Missed this thread, awful weather, delighted to see an Evil return to its more original premise of been under 200km with lots of climb.

**** this is hard

In the hotel in laragh about 110 km in so far. Hard going so far. Brutal weather starting out but nice out now. Only the long road home now via 3 climbs

• Advertisement

Beautiful in Laragh now. Manky this morning, didn't hit the road til 11.30 (not doubt evil obviously)

Advertisement