Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini Evil 2020 July 18th

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's also the filling station. I use it when I'm not in the mood to be sighed at in the hippy cafe.

Brooke lodge in Macreddin isn't a huge diversion? They're doing take away food in some of their places, and their pub does good food. Another few km and aughrim would have 2-3 places (stonecutter, grainstore) also on Saturdays they have a market

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Good to hear that you will be there on the day.
    I usually only ever use the shops or cafe in roundwood or laragh so I think we will be fine.The only other shop I know around there is the one in Rathdrum but we will be a few K’s from that.

Anyone been to laragh yet, I can imagine that spaces will be limited in the coffee shops there.

All the indoor seating has been removed and outside as was....(its been 2 weeks since my visit) lots of bikers around owner was concerned understandably about social distancing so not sure if the outdoor seats remained...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Had a nice lunch in Glendalough Green today. The menu is more limited than it used to be and all vegetarian I think. Enough seats outside for the numbers today but I would imagine it's a lot busier at weekends.

A bit worried by all this talk of diversions to other places that aren't even on the route! Is it not long enough already?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,056 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Saturday week? May be tempted if im back in dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Weepsie wrote: »
    Brooke lodge in Macreddin isn't a huge diversion? They're doing take away food in some of their places, and their pub does good food. Another few km and aughrim would have 2-3 places (stonecutter, grainstore) also on Saturdays they have a market

As a fallback, the Daybreak store opposite the Stonecutter has a decent enough 'we make you a sandwich' setup, and a coffee machine. Lots of steps across the road for sitting on, too.

• Advertisement

Not sure if this will be useful or not but I have copied the route into Garmin Connect as I find it works better for me than Strava. It's at https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/37249656

If anyone spots any errors, let me know. I was rather puzzled by the finishing point and its proximity to Mount Venus Cemetery. Is there something that I should know? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Not sure if this will be useful or not but I have copied the route into Garmin Connect as I find it works better for me than Strava. It's at https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/37249656

If anyone spots any errors, let me know. I was rather puzzled by the finishing point and its proximity to Mount Venus Cemetery. Is there something that I should know? :eek:

I just put that as the end as it gives people the option to go home in various directions or possibly do more with all the other climbs around i.e kilmashouge 😦. There is no point really going back to Dundrum, especially as there will be no medals or pasta waiting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I just put that as the end as it gives people the option to go home in various directions or possibly do more with all the other climbs around i.e kilmashouge 😦. There is no point really going back to Dundrum, especially as there will be no medals or pasta waiting.

Wait what no medals? I’m out

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. There is no point really going back to Dundrum...
    For some of us, it will be on our route home.

I note you didn't say that the car would be parked there :)

• Advertisement

I note you didn't say that the car would be parked there :)
    Dear God no - a recovery ride has to be factored in. :)

I thought you guys would be going back through harolds cross.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

knowing WA, he'll probably detour through macroom on the way home.

I thought you guys would be going back through harolds cross.
    Yes, apologies - if ending at Mount Venus it would be home via Ballyboden, Rathfarnham, Harold's Cross.
    knowing WA, he'll probably detour through macroom on the way home.
    I think those days are well behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I think those days are well behind me.

Yeah, sure ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I think I'm in, well I have an airport drop that morning so will be in Dublin so why not!

Is there an 'official' start time and location? Also anyone recommend somewhere close by I could leave a car for the day?

Flight cancelled so afraid can't make this one but like the route so might set it as a goal later in the year.

Enjoy every one who does go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I think I'm in, well I have an airport drop that morning so will be in Dublin so why not!

Is there an 'official' start time and location? Also anyone recommend somewhere close by I could leave a car for the day?

Flight cancelled so afraid can't make this one but like the route so might set it as a goal later in the year.

Enjoy every one who does go for it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Anyone planning on doing it at all over the next week? I'm hoping to give it or an old route a go from the 19th-26th

Weepsie wrote: »
    ...I'm hoping to give it or an old route a go from the 19th-26th
    Finishing the 2016 route is still on my bucket list. I wimped out on the day about 80% of the way into it. (I think daragh was the only one to complete it that year).

https://www.strava.com/activities/672812717

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭burger1979

Well folks, today I took my first ever attempt at the Boards Evil route. Mini it might be but sweet jebus. For anyone who has completed the previous routes, full distance, I salute ye, mad people.

So first off a massive thanks and "$@!!"" to the course creator Irishrover99. Some of the climbs I had done before and most i hadnt, especially at the start of the route before we reached Laragh for the first time.

Even though this was my first attempt at the event, I was unable to do it all, even though it was the 'mini'.......I hand my head and bike in shame and all abuse of not completing it is welcome. Coming out of Laragh towards Glenmacnass waterfall I cramped in both thighs on the way up. I have never bitten my handlebar tape harder whilst I unclipped and waited for the pain to pass.

If i get another TR form filled out and passed I may try again this year. Fantastic day out on the bike. Wicklow was full of us today, although the cars around Wicklow gap was a joke and Mr. Garda was there handing out tickets like confetti.

I will post some pics later when i get them. My cycling companion sends them onto me, he cycled around with me on 4hours sleep......madman.......

Strava links:

https://www.strava.com/activities/3753342688

https://www.strava.com/activities/3753343115

• Advertisement

burger1979 wrote: »
    Well folks, today I took my first ever attempt at the Boards Evil route. Mini it might be but sweet jebus. For anyone who has completed the previous routes, full distance, I salute ye, mad people.

So first off a massive thanks and "$@!!"" to the course creator Irishrover99. Some of the climbs I had done before and most i hadnt, especially at the start of the route before we reached Laragh for the first time.

Even though this was my first attempt at the event, I was unable to do it all, even though it was the 'mini'.......I hand my head and bike in shame and all abuse of not completing it is welcome. Coming out of Laragh towards Glenmacnass waterfall I cramped in both thighs on the way up. I have never bitten my handlebar tape harder whilst I unclipped and waited for the pain to pass.

If i get another TR form filled out and passed I may try again this year. Fantastic day out on the bike. Wicklow was full of us today, although the cars around Wicklow gap was a joke and Mr. Garda was there handing out tickets like confetti.

I will post some pics later when i get them. My cycling companion sends them onto me, he cycled around with me on 4hours sleep......madman.......

Strava links:

https://www.strava.com/activities/3753342688

https://www.strava.com/activities/3753343115

Great post. Well done and glad you enjoyed the route. For the few years I have “created” the route, I have always said that even if you do not finish the full course, it will be harder than the Wicklow 200 so nothing to be ashamed of as you still had over 3000 meters of climbing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

About time to start looking at the weather

Saturday
    18/07/2020 01:00–07:00
    Fair. 15° 0 mm Light breeze, 3 m/s from west-southwestLight breeze, 3 m/s from west-southwest
    07:00–13:00
    Partly cloudy. 15° 0 mm Light breeze, 2 m/s from southwestLight breeze, 2 m/s from southwest
    13:00–19:00
    Cloudy. 17° 0.4 mm Light breeze, 3 m/s from southwestLight breeze, 3 m/s from southwest
    19:00–01:00
    Partly cloudy. 18° 0.2 mm Gentle breeze, 4 m/s from westGentle breeze, 4 m/s from west

Looks ok so far

Well done burger1979 - you got great weather for it.
    burger1979 wrote: »
    ... although the cars around Wicklow gap was a joke...
    Sally Gap? (Wicklow Gap isn't on it this year).

godtabh wrote: »
    About time to start looking at the weather

Saturday
    18/07/2020 01:00–07:00
    Fair. 15° 0 mm Light breeze, 3 m/s from west-southwestLight breeze, 3 m/s from west-southwest
    07:00–13:00
    Partly cloudy. 15° 0 mm Light breeze, 2 m/s from southwestLight breeze, 2 m/s from southwest
    13:00–19:00
    Cloudy. 17° 0.4 mm Light breeze, 3 m/s from southwestLight breeze, 3 m/s from southwest
    19:00–01:00
    Partly cloudy. 18° 0.2 mm Gentle breeze, 4 m/s from westGentle breeze, 4 m/s from west

Looks ok so far
    I was just looking at the long range forecast on Yr yesterday for 'County Wicklow' - they are giving some light rain during the day also.

... I have always said that even if you do not finish the full course, it will be harder than the Wicklow 200....
    ....and harder than the Mick Byrne 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Finishing the 2016 route is still on my bucket list. I wimped out on the day about 80% of the way into it. (I think daragh was the only one to complete it that year).

That was a really stupid route. Never again.

I won't be out on Saturday. Going to a friend's 40th the night before so I'll be in no fit state. Good luck all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to be fair, you *did* fall off a cliff at the 114km mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Is it only Strava paid up subscribers can export routes to Garmin devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭burger1979

Cheers wishbone ash and irishrover et all. Havent done the WW200 in a few years, from reports it jusy seems too many riders to enjoy. But did MB200 last year (second time), I think the Evil is out on its own in terms of enjoyable pain and gain. The MB is has got as much or a little more that mini evil, but its just getting around that adds onto the distance.
    But any cycle is as enjoyable as you make it.
    For those doing it this year, enjoy.

• Advertisement

....and harder than the Mick Byrne 200.
    Even the Mini has more climbing!

fat bloke wrote: »
    Is it only Strava paid up subscribers can export routes to Garmin devices?
    I'm on the free version and have an "Export GPX" option just below the route title. Once you save this, you can normally copy & paste it into your Garmin. In post #67 I have included a Garmin Connect version of the route and that should give you a "Send to Device" option that may be simpler.

Been checking out a few food options in Laragh (2nd time) as I don't fancy attempting Shay Elliott, Brown Mountain etc. on a full stomach. The Wicklow Heather will have their lunch menue available in a covered outdoor area without reservations, Lynhams have a BBQ option in front of Anne's Cafe which is closed. They may also have a lunch menu in the hotel lobby. In Glenmalure the Coffee Box in front of the Lodge have coffee, croissants, rocky road (!) and caramel squares but for anything more substantial indoors you need to book. The Stonecutter in Aughrim is closed.

Advertisement