Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circular Number: 0037/2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭amacca

There's not much to the forms. The work is in gathering your data, making a spreadsheet and ranking your class.

Predicting grades then, I went through marking schemes again for each student considering what they knew and how they wud be marked, that took a good while.

theres obviously still a hell of a lot of subjectivity though too id assume?

different teachers may use different data etc etc.......dont put too much emphasis on mocks, use professional judgement etc

what do you mean by went through marking schemes.....did you look at a marking scheme in your subject and imagine what they would have got or are you talking about a marking scheme for project work they have submitted or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

amacca wrote: »
    theres obviously still a hell of a lot of subjectivity though too id assume?

different teachers may use different data etc etc.......dont put too much emphasis on mocks, use professional judgement etc

what do you mean by went through marking schemes.....did you look at a marking scheme in your subject and imagine what they would have got or are you talking about a marking scheme for project work they have submitted or something?

Used scheme for some of project work and how longer answers are marked in my subjects.

Obviously used knowledge I have of students to predict how they wud have done then.

Professional opinion at end of day is for each to decided how they implement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

You were the very one for the last two weeks just constantly going on about 'just inflate their grades'. Why don't you just read the documentation and maybe see what is involved.

Being 'tempted' to give someone 55 because their grades have gone between a B and a D sounds like someone throwing darts and a board and picking a grade out at random.

Sorry I forgot I was talking to King Solomein. You can attack me all you like but in the end its guesswork. I don't know or care what you're subject is-its still guesswork because unless you have corrected the LC lately-how can you say you are accurate or not? Who has checked YOUR Work? How accurate have your previous predictions been?? You can get hung up on the word 'inflate' all you like-it simply means err on the side of cautin. The mocks must be approached with caution plus kids do surge and there is no tablets of stone to work this out with. When they invent a time machine where my colleagues and I can use standardised testing and check it externally from 2018-20 then we would have an objective system. But we don't and please don't give the impression we have one now.

55 for a student whose grade has varied greatly sounds fair to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Treppen

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Is there a video on this ?

There ya go

• Registered Users Posts: 48,140 ✭✭✭✭km79

Let’s not turn on each other . This is a safe place

• Advertisement

You were the very one for the last two weeks just constantly going on about 'just inflate their grades'. Why don't you just read the documentation and maybe see what is involved.

Being 'tempted' to give someone 55 because their grades have gone between a B and a D sounds like someone throwing darts and a board and picking a grade out at random.

Not sure he said he was going to give 55 to the same student who got a B in the mocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

To be fair 55 for the D to B student isn't far off the vague and fairly meaningless "scale" in the document. I mean, it would be "disappointing" if he got below, and it'd be "pleasing" if he did better. Got to avoid the multiples of 5 though - 56 is apparently safer. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Sorry I forgot I was talking to King Solomein. You can attack me all you like but in the end its guesswork. I don't know or care what you're subject is-its still guesswork because unless you have corrected the LC lately-how can you say you are accurate or not? Who has checked YOUR Work? How accurate have your previous predictions been?? You can get hung up on the word 'inflate' all you like-it simply means err on the side of cautin. The mocks must be approached with caution plus kids do surge and there is no tablets of stone to work this out with. When they invent a time machine where my colleagues and I can use standardised testing and check it externally from 2018-20 then we would have an objective system. But we don't and please don't give the impression we have one now.

55 for a student whose grade has varied greatly sounds fair to me.

I've been marking papers for the SEC for 19 years, 16 of those at LC level, so ya I'd say I have a fair amount of experience of correcting LC. My previous predictions have been pretty much bang on.

Inflate does not mean err on the side of caution, it means the direct opposite. I never said this was an objective system, you've just made that up right now. And teachers have been given fair warning about including mock results in their deliberations because students can cheat the mocks.

Treppen wrote: »
    Not sure he said he was going to give 55 to the same student who got a B in the mocks

He did, he edited it out of his post while I was writing mine.

To be fair 55 for the D to B student isn't far off the vague and fairly meaningless "scale" in the document. I mean, it would be "disappointing" if he got below, and it'd be "pleasing" if he did better. Got to avoid the multiples of 5 though - 56 is apparently safer. ;)

I think averages aren't correct as it assumes that you will regress if your latest mark is the highest one. .

I hope teachers aren't considering averages.

• Advertisement

I think averages aren't correct as it assumes that you will regress if your latest mark is the highest one. .

To be honest I think it depends on the student. You have some students who are consistent throughout the two years, whether that be a consistent C or a consistent A. And then you have students who take it easy in fifth year and then move up a gear in sixth year. So the upward trajectory is probably a better indication of their final grade, in line with the way they work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'm not talking about averages. Just the silly scale in the document. The student got one B on an exam they could easily cheat on having been mostly at a D. The document also specifically rules out using the mark you think they might have a reasonable chance of achieving on a good day - that actually makes things much more difficult imo.

I've been marking papers for the SEC for 19 years, 16 of those at LC level, so ya I'd say I have a fair amount of experience of correcting LC. My previous predictions have been pretty much bang on.

Inflate does not mean err on the side of caution, it means the direct opposite. I never said this was an objective system, you've just made that up right now. And teachers have been given fair warning about including mock results in their deliberations because students can cheat the mocks.
    Sorry I got a bit emotional there. It was the wrong word choice- inflate. But I think you need to realise that the vast majority of teachers have not corrected. So you need to stop picking holes in the arguments of teachers who have not corrected and have a different subject to yours. What is your subject btw ?

He did, he edited it out of his post while I was writing mine.

I have not decided anything

Rainbow you are pontificating based on your one subject. One subject. We don't know your type of school either or your subject. I'm glad you can sit back after 19 years of correcting. Time machine time again - if only we knew we'd be put in this position we'd all have corrected for 2 decades.
    Thus taking grade avg and the students very decent mock results plus benefit of the doubt plus a possible late surge I'd say moving a student 10% up is reasonable.

Sorry I got a bit emotional there. It was the wrong word choice- inflate. But I think you need to realise that the vast majority of teachers have not corrected. So you need to stop picking holes in the arguments of teachers who have not corrected and have a different subject to yours. What is your subject btw ?

The subject a teacher teaches is not relevant. You're going on about it taking weeks and are suggesting people are mad if they think they'll be done by the end of the week. You're suggesting giving a C to a student for whatever reasons..... but by your own admission you haven't read the documentation, which is something you really need to do. How can you comment on grading your student when you haven't read about what is entailed in the grading?

Rainbow you are pontificating based on your one subject. One subject. We don't know your type of school either or your subject. I'm glad you can sit back after 19 years of correcting. Time machine time again - if only we knew we'd be put in this position we'd all have corrected for 2 decades.
    Thus taking grade avg and the students very decent mock results plus benefit of the doubt plus a possible late surge I'd say moving a student 10% up is reasonable.

I'm not because I teach three subjects to LC. Two of them regularly and one of them occasionally. As it happens I only have one LC class this year and it's not the subject I correct. I still don't have a problem in applying the process to my students. My type of school has absolutely nothing to do with the way I calculate grades either.

To say the subject does not matter is ridiculous.But you have a point. I have not read the document but I seriously doubt it will change my views
    Yes the school matters. Middle class schools generate more data because parents are more involved.kids generate more work etc

You have clearly stated it's not objective. But be careful of thinking you know it all in however many LC subjects there are. My advice stands bang them up a few percent unless you are in the 10% or less miniority who correct regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Agreed. Dougal, Ted and the car for the raffle come to mind.

My wife cutting my hair tonight was a bit like that...

To say the subject does not matter is ridiculous.But you have a point. I have not read the document but I seriously doubt it will change my views
    Yes the school matters. Middle class schools generate more data because parents are more involved.kids generate more work etc

You have clearly stated it's not objective. But be careful of thinking you know it all in however many LC subjects there are. My advice stands bang them up a few percent unless you are in the 10% or less miniority who correct regularly.

The application of the guidelines applies to all subjects. Schools/teachers generate data. If you choose to hold a monthly class test then you have lots of data. If you choose to hold no class tests, and only go with christmas and summer tests you have less data. You can be in any type of school and make that choice.

I have not claimed to know it all. I'm following the guidelines as they are set out. You should have a fair idea how a student will get on in their exams whether you correct or not. Teachers advise students of considering changing levels because they know a student isn't able for HL. They don't need to mark exams to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭JDMC2

Bobtheman and rainbowtrout
    Could you please create a new thread to discuss your differences?
    I'm really interested in this thread (as I was in the previous one)
    However, silly childish bickering and one-up-man-ship will result in this thread being closed if you don't stop.

So is everybody clear on what they have to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Buddhas belly

Hi, hope it is ok to ask this question here? My niece is in leaving cert and she is wondering if the previous exam results from the school will affect her grade. Eg. in science and languages they have excelled in the past few years and she thinks this may boost her grade, which would be great. Is this the case or should she be more realistic regarding her grades?

Hi, hope it is ok to ask this question here? My niece is in leaving cert and she is wondering if the previous exam results from the school will affect her grade. Eg. in science and languages they have excelled in the past few years and she thinks this may boost her grade, which would be great. Is this the case or should she be more realistic regarding her grades?

I’m sure her school has provided her with all the information available already but just in case here it is
    https://www.education.ie/en/Learners/Information/State-Examinations/a-guide-to-calculated-grades-for-leaving-certificate-students-2020.pdf

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2f07eb-leaving-cert-2020-information/#information-for-leaving-cert-students

That’s it. No teacher can add anything to it for students .

So is everybody clear on what they have to do?

A bit off topic but we can no linger discuss it anywhere else
    http://twitter.com/emma_okelly/status/1263961224347291648

Apologies to Rainbow trout but I think I was misunderstood. We all have varying levels of Data. Some have corrected at LC levels -MOST have not.
    I didn't give a huge amount of tests because my class attendance varied wildly and it was hard to get any homework from them. I had no idea this was coming-who did?
    I do have students who averaged mid 40s on Exams but got 70% in the mock. Kids often do better on the day. They would also normally have had March-May Teaching. I was making huge headway in March before this. A lot of students only really tune in the last few months.
    Thus it is not a huge leap to move a student up by 8% in their grade from 47 to 55%. It is erring on the side of caution. Also I don't take the Mock as Gospel.
    I doubt the guidelines say just use Tests-there is your professional knowledge of the student. That is allowable?
    So it's not throwing a dart at a dartboard or anything like that. But there will be random guesses no matter what anybody says.
    Because even class tests are quite random. Perhaps we should have all been forced to correct at least once but alack-alas that was not the case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Apologies to Rainbow trout but I think I was misunderstood. We all have varying levels of Data. Some have corrected at LC levels -MOST have not.
    I didn't give a huge amount of tests because my class attendance varied wildly and it was hard to get any homework from them. I had no idea this was coming-who did?
    I do have students who averaged mid 40s on Exams but got 70% in the mock. Kids often do better on the day. They would also normally have had March-May Teaching. I was making huge headway in March before this. A lot of students only really tune in the last few months.
    Thus it is not a huge leap to move a student up by 8% in their grade from 47 to 55%. It is erring on the side of caution. Also I don't take the Mock as Gospel.
    I doubt the guidelines say just use Tests-there is your professional knowledge of the student. That is allowable?
    So it's not throwing a dart at a dartboard or anything like that. But there will be random guesses no matter what anybody says.
    Because even class tests are quite random. Perhaps we should have all been forced to correct at least once but alack-alas that was not the case!

I have to agree, for harmony in music to take an example it can just ‘click’ into place for students even right up to May and instead of struggling through the question and doing poorly they suddenly are getting B’s easily. It’s a 60 mark question so has a huge impact on their overall mark.

I would give examples but I’m going to be circumspect discussing even hypothetical students going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Kids often do much better on the day but kids that average mid 40s suddenly springing something over 70 in the mocks..... I call cheats, yes one in a class of 30 may achieve this jump but I still find it extremely suspicious !! I would base my prediction closer to their average

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

It’s already been mentioned that the rsr in history has an average result of 90 odd percent. That won’t show up in class tests. So a kid might do very well in the documents and rsr, and score lower in the essays. Most class tests will not have taken either of these into account, so the mock result would be higher. I’m sure a lot of teachers don’t include the rsr in the mock result either. So an average h4 student will be brought up to a h3 once the rsr is included.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

So for maths I'm using

From vsware:
    5th year Christmas
    5th year Easter
    5th year summer
    6th year Christmas
    6th year Mock (with caution)

From teachers journal:
    All other assessments

From working with the student:
    Engagement
    Homework etc

Finally, in addition to all the above, I am applying professional judgement to help arrive at final grade.

Comprehensive enough? Opinions welcome!

Advertisement